Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So about 6 months ago I started dating a girl who has been curling for a few years. It's something I've always wanted to try so, as a date, she arranged to bring me out to give it a shot. I enjoyed it so much that I pretty much immediately signed up for the beginner's league and have been out once a week since the start of January. It's great stuff and I'm glad this thread exists.

Chicken posted:

Also those dumb commercials with Vic and the guy who doesn't know anything about curling make me laugh every time.

Doug is a national treasure imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Ok, who can explain to me what's up with the weird delivery sticks that some guys seem to use? Like, the thing Mike McEwan has with the red and yellow and green stripes. What is that thing and why?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Does anyone watching the worlds know why the South Korean team has black duct tape across the chest of their uniforms? It's clearly covering something, I just have no idea what it could be that they'd have to cover it.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Ah cool, thanks for the replies guys.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
It's curling time again! So here's a question that I've been waiting to ask since basically last spring. Shouldn't the thread title be "Let he who is without hammer cast the first rock"?

Anyways, my season actually started last week. It's my first year playing in an actual league, I started with a beginner/tutorial league last year. The team is full of relative newbies including a girl who had literally never thrown a stone before, but we did pretty well and actually won something like 9-4. Getting back to it tonight for game 2!

Here's a picture I took, this thread needs more pictures.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
What kind of facility to you curl in?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Curling outside actually sounds really cool to me. Unless it's raining. Or snowing hard. Or super cold. Or the ice is bad. Maybe I just want to watch outdoor curling on TV like I do with the special NHL games.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Chicken posted:

It looks like the sheet isn't wide enough. Like a rock could be on the tee line, touching the rings, and in the next sheet simultaneously. Could be perspective I guess!

Nah you are right. In order to fit all 6 sheets, my club has a house rule where the rock has to be more than halfway over the line before its considered out of play. So a rock biting the 12-foot right at the tee line would be a few inches into the other sheet. It honestly rarely causes a problem.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Finally some curling on TV to watch! I read a book on curling strategy over the summer and it's really making watching it better. I have such a better idea why they're calling the shots that they do now.

Chicken posted:

Watching live curling is great.

I'm a little pissed cause I live in London, but the week of the Continental Cup is the one week I'm out of town.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

What's the book?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah this game is bonkers. She starts with the hammer, and then doesn't get on the board until she gets forced to 1 in the 4th end. Fuckin ouch.

Edit: wow, she made it a closer game than I would have thought.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 9, 2019

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

Double posting because we won again last night (we're 3-1 now!) but more importantly, last night was the first time since I started curling where I felt like I was able to actually make semi-accurate adjustments from throw to throw. And given how uh, variable our ice is, I'm pretty proud of that.

That's a good feeling. I find I keep going back and forth. Some games I have that feeling where I can tell what's going on and make adjustments and be confident by the 3rd end or so, and then other games I just can't get my head around anything and feel lost almost.

I've been trying to find any books or articles for tips, but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that there's nothing you can do except curl more. If you want to throw better, throw a lot of rocks; if you want to judge weight better, watch a lot of rocks; and if you want to sweep better, sweep a lot of rocks and see what works/feels better. To that end I've been lucky as one of my girlfriend's curling friends travels a lot for work and I've become their go-to guy as a spare. I've picked up 3 extra games this month already.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I haven't been able to watch any since I'm on vacation, but I've seen the Instagram photos and I agree the jackets and nicknames are great. The continental cup seems like a fun time.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So here's my couple thoughts about the Canadian Open that just finished. Firstly, I kind of like the triple knockout structure. It's confusing, but it makes for interesting conversations about each team's path to the playoffs. And secondly, I am developing a huge soft spot for Team Fujisawa. They just seem to be having so much fun every time they're playing. Even when it's clear that they're going to lose, they're smiling and laughing.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Chicken posted:

Just curled against a team from Sacramento that came up to Canada for a bonspiel. We lost but it was a close game, they were real fun to play against, and it was cool to hear about some of the politics going on in US curling. Got some awesome pins and an invitation to their bonspiel next year!

This is very cool. I had to pass up the opportunity to play in a big bonspiel because it happens to be a weekend I already have baseball tickets. Also, how does the whole pin thing work? I guess more I mean, at what point is a bonspiel big enough that exchanging pins is expected etiquette?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

I need Bottcher to just go undefeated.

This is where I'm at too. He's been my favorite since I started really paying attention last year. Of course now it looks like it's not going to happen since he blew that last draw in the 10th against Koe.

Also, I had a chance to mess around with recording myself and playing around with GIFs, so I made something for you curling thread.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So happy about the exciting, young guys making cool shots to win games. I'm kinda glad they didn't show the Bottcher game though, 2-1 going into the 10th jeez.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in that final. Bottcher loses one game all week and then has an off day at the championship game. I was at least hoping for a good game, but it wasn't even that.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey curlers, there hasn't really been anything to talk about since everything got cancelled, but Curling Canada just released their Return to Play guidelines and it's kinda crazy. You can read about it here: https://www.curling.ca/blog/2020/07/06/return-to-play-guidelines/

Highlights are only one sweeper per rock, and that includes the skips/vices in the house so no sweeping the opposing team's rock behind the tee line. They are also mandating specific positions for the players to stand while the other team is throwing, which largely gets rid of the ability to talk strategy or discuss shot options. Now, there's no big deal with my rec league playing this way, but the crazy thing (to me) is that these are expected to be the new rules for competition play for the whole next season. Some type of curling will be better than no curling, but it'll be so weird to see the pros playing this way.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 7, 2020

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So is anyone else actually curling this year? Our season started yesterday, and its definitely weird. People got used to the new rules and positioning pretty quickly but you have to always be mindful of where you're standing and walking.

My club reduced the number of sheets to 5 instead of 6, so they could have space between them. And you can see the little markers along the side for where to stand.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I forgot about this thread when I was watching the Scotties, but I'm 100% on Team Bottcher and I can't believe how he managed to throw that one away.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Holy crap. I had the stream up on my second monitor without sound, and I was trying to figure out how the Bottcher game could be so far behind. I've never heard of that happening before.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
It's dumb but it makes me so happy that bottcher keeps wearing the new socks.

Edit: oh boy, it's going to be that kind of game

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 12, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'm curious why you all like bottcher so much? I feel like there's teams that play a more interesting game. Is it that he's been close but not quite there? Personality?

I only really got into curling a couple years ago. When I was trying to pick a team to be my favorite, bottcher was one of the young new guys, and then I noticed that he wears an iron ring. I don't wear mine anymore, but I do have one, and that's the entire arbitrary reason for me lol

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Finally a break in this pitcher's duel. Maybe we'll get to see a few crazy ends.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Wow, this E/G vs J/L game is a whooping.
Edit: it was 10-0 for E/G after the 3rd.

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok so it's End Of Season Sale time, and I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for shoes. It seems like getting a pair of sneakers custom-fitted with a slider isn't really much pricier than a mid-range pair of dedicated shoes, and they also look exponentially better and I know they'll be comfy. But as a dumb idiot newbie, am I setting myself up for failure somehow?

Don't get the Goldline Quantums. I liked the idea of swapping discs instead of buying new shoes, but I've already had to replace the grippers because their smaller size seems to make them wear out quicker.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 24, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

VSOKUL girl posted:

do CA VPNs not work, or is there not an official way for US people to watch via TSN like there was (IIRC) for the Brier if there's no US licensed broadcaster?

i don't really know since i pretty much only watch the World Curling events that are live on their Recast platform nowadays

Looks like CBC is supposed to be streaming the scotties too. That should be viewable with a Canadian VPN I think.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

gret posted:

Think the Scotties are on TSN, not CBC.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah I just checked the CBC sports app and there is nothing, while tsn is airing it live

Ah my bad. The broadcast schedule page lists CBC but it must be a holdover from the Olympic triaks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah, I went to the draw on Saturday evening and we sat really close on one side.

Bottcher is my favourite curler, so it was really cool to be like 15 feet away from him. But I'm surprised at how quiet everything was being that close. You really only hear anything when people are yelling. And yeah it's hard to keep track of 4 games and our view of the far end was blocked by cameras.

I kinda wonder whether getting seats up high is actually the better viewing experience in person, and being close is just kinda a novelty.