Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I finally remembered that the Brier is on ESPN3 and man, Bottcher is really good at this. Too bad Manitoba is in the same pool, they're my favorite teams. I really wish that some curling body here in the US did a better job letting us know how we can watch stuff, usually it's all buried somewhere or I have to bother Matt Sussman on Twitter or something.

Also I played in a league this winter! We won a single game and it was one of the weeks I was out of town! But it ruled!

EDIT: Also guys like PEI's skip who swing the stone entirely off the ice on their delivery are insane to me, how the hell do you moderate your delivery strength if you're doing that?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah the lifted stone is old school. Some guys like koe only do it for up weight shots. Jim cotter does it for every throw.

I had only ever seen the way Koe does where he just kind of tilts the stone, Likely swings it all the way back and one of the guys Team Ontario last night was not just swinging it back but also practically standing up, it looked like a bowling delivery.

Curling pros are not human.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/leftbutton/status/1103698851918012416

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Super cool for ESPN's stream to gently caress up and me just be sitting here unable to watch the good boy Brendan Bottcher steal one from Koe's krew in the 9th end. :shepicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Powershift posted:

You should write an angry letter, that was a barn burner.

It loving fixed its poo poo after the game ended and I was refreshing CurlingZone and fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I guess the upside is that every time I went to check and had to watch the beginning of the broadcast I got to see this :shobon:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 8, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So on the broadcast they were talking about how Bottcher said the best game they played was the one against Alberta, and it was the one they lost, but drat those dudes are bringing it every game and I can't stop thinking about if they had beaten Koe...

EDIT: Holy poo poo that final Jacobs throw was close.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 9, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Powershift posted:

Wow, Botcher's last rock in the 6th. That's career highlight reel stuff.

He's making questionable calls, but really pulling himself out of it with awesome shots.

e: this game is loving ridiculous.
e2: i hope there's a way for people who missed this to see that 8th end because holy poo poo.

He did the same type of thing Team USA were doing in 2018 where they forced themselves into making really hard shots to stay alive, and then it all paid off in a big way...just like for Team USA.

Bottcher rules.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bottcher gonna get a rematch with Koe in the final and he's gonna get his win this time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So many f-bombs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Turned on the stream for the USA v Canada match just in time to hear Neufeld drop an f-bomb, I will never get tired of curlers being miced up at all times.

EDIT: Good God Koe's shot to seal it for Canada...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 4, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My season doesn't start until next month but the league somehow managed to get the season longer and cheaper this year, so :krad:

Also I remain deeply jealous of you people with dedicated indoor spaces.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

What kind of facility to you curl in?

An outdoor hockey rink in a city park :v:

I mean, I'm still total garbage at actually delivering stones so I don't think it makes a huge difference but even just being able to easily see the house would rule.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Curling outside actually sounds really cool to me. Unless it's raining. Or snowing hard. Or super cold. Or the ice is bad. Maybe I just want to watch outdoor curling on TV like I do with the special NHL games.

The biggest issue with being outdoors is when the humidity picks up and the whole sheet is covered with frost and you have to practically throw the stone to get it past the midpoint.

Aside from that the problem is just that we're sharing the space and the parks department doesn't really care that much about us, but you can also barely make out the hockey lines a lot of the time so they clearly don't actually care that much about that league either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Finally some curling on TV to watch! I read a book on curling strategy over the summer and it's really making watching it better. I have such a better idea why they're calling the shots that they do now.

What's the book?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My league got of to a late start because they couldn't make ice for several weeks apparently, but my team got off to a 1-0 start and I actually helped! Sat one stone on the back of the 12-footer during a 4-point end, and then totally whiffed a takeout but the stone managed to sit between the 8 and 12-footer in the final end which meant we won 5-4 instead of losing 7-5.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Double posting because we won again last night (we're 3-1 now!) but more importantly, last night was the first time since I started curling where I felt like I was able to actually make semi-accurate adjustments from throw to throw. And given how uh, variable our ice is, I'm pretty proud of that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One thing that I think I've done is just hold onto the rock longer. We play on an outdoor hockey rink, so the hog lines are practically impossible to spot and that leads to folks kind of leaving the hack and immediately chucking the stone, but just holding it a tiny bit longer and really trying to line everything up is helpful. This assumes there's not a nice layer of frost we have to fight through too, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chicken posted:

On ice like Inspector's (I can't imagine curling on ice like that... kudos)

To give you an idea (this is obviously on the "pretty bad" end of the spectrum)

https://twitter.com/CurlBklyn/status/1207489781921468421

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tonight was the last night of my league session, and I ripped a takeout that turned into a hit and roll and I feel very accomplished. I wear Nike Metcons to the rink because of Matt Hamilton's footwear in the 2018 Olympics so I felt like I finally lived up to that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I keep forgetting to tune into the Brier games until the 9th end, but today I remembered when the games started and I forgot how much I love Bottcher and Moulding. :shobon:

EDIT: 5-0!

EDIT2: Also I love how edgy mall goth the Team Wildcard unis are.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 3, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

There have been a bunch of great matches so far, I've managed to catch most of the TSN featured ones.

I am consistently blown away by the poo poo that Teams Gushue and Koe pull off.

EDIT: and then Gushue flashes the house and gives up a steal of 2. :curling:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 4, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

Rooting for a bottcher/koe final now

I need Bottcher to just go undefeated. I think both him and Dunstone got too cute with their calls today for a lot of the final stones, and Bottcher "pulling back" to making those draws was the right call.

Dunstone's angled hit was amazing though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They dual-boxed in one of the other games and it was 1-1 for the last stone of the 6th end which was thrown to...blank the end.

I'm glad that wasn't the featured game :v:

EDIT: OTOH every look-in at Alberta is them laying down the loving law :allears:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 6, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I turned off the Brier to watch Curling Night In America and Plys just nailed a very sweet double that ended up rolling right onto the button and Hamilton started hootin' and hollerin' and I missed this :shobon:

EDIT: Oh they only play 8 ends and instead of an extra they have a draw to the button "shootout"? I don't care for that one bit.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 7, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thiessen absolutely running himself ragged on the broom but nothing is going where they want it to :(

This NL team is a cheat code, my goodness.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Been a Bottcher fan for a while now and I feel so bad for them to lose the finals again. :smith:

It must be brutal to come just short like this three years in a row, I really thought he was gonna do it this time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My season is still up in the air, as far as I know. We're on an outdoor rink but honestly, I don't know if it's even really worth playing if we all have to stand on opposite ends of the rink and can't broomstack.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

I was looking for a curling thread to resurrect, very excited for a full month of bubble action.

Cannot believe Quebec came back vs PEI

Yeah that was a hell of a last few stones there. I am so glad I can watch curling again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Facebook just reminded me that it's been 3 years to the day since the Garlic Girls beat Japan in the semi-finals on a fantastic draw and how wonderful the crowd reaction was. I can't find any of the video on YouTube but you can just skip to the end of the full match here: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/kor-v-jpn-semifinal-women-s-curling-pyeongchang-2018-replays/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

It didn't quite work out but Quebec's go big or go home play style is fun to watch.

I think I'm actually rooting for Quebec now, apparently I just have to support whatever team has a wunderkind skip. Although the rest of the team isn't nearly as jarring as Bottcher's crew.

https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/1364417020054433795?s=20

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 24, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That double takeout shot that Zacharias made to sit five and win her game was something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So uh, I guess the dudes really took notes on the Scotties because wow they're on it.

EDIT: Oh and there's a flash.

EDIT2: and it's completely new ice...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 6, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

Oh bottcher, two awful misses cost em the game

I was so hyped to make my coffee and watch the game and then that final end broke my heart. It wasn't even a "typical" Bottcher error where he boxes himself into needing to make a perfect shot, he just...whiffed. :smith:

EDIT: Oh he's playing mad tonight.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The audio levels seem really messed up today but I did hear a clear "gently caress" outta somebody.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I will root against Koe and Gushue every time but God dammit do I respect the hell out of them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like every time they show a Yukon game they're on the verge of giving up 7 or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oof Bottcher. Blowing that first game looms large now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love that they just cut to Bottcher mid-delivery where he manages to make one of those crazy dumb shots he missed yesterday.

EDIT: Ok after seeing that NO shot right there in the 4th, I think they might actually just be using magic and feel a little better about the Alberta loss.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sleep with the vicious posted:

Then turned on tsn just in time to hear a nice "fucks sakes" on middaughs team. Should be a fun finish

Yesterday somebody on that team made a great shot and they all started slapping each other with their brooms, fun times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Holy crap. I had the stream up on my second monitor without sound, and I was trying to figure out how the Bottcher game could be so far behind. I've never heard of that happening before.

I assumed the Brier site was broken.

And man Bottcher runs himself into trouble but then he throws a draw like that.

EDIT: Oh wow what a shot for the win! YES. TRAIN IS BACK ON THE TRACKS.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Slung Blade posted:

They was an amazing shot to win it. Moulding is such a proud curling dad.

I can't not see it.