Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"A song with really dark lyrics, but a melody that's so happy that you want to dance to it." - Hayashida Q (The Author)

Dorohedoro is a serialized Seinen manga written by Hayashida Q; first published by Monthly Ikki in 2000, before it was transferred to Hibana in 2015, then to Monthly Shounen Sunday in 2017. It in fact just finished last week. The story is about an amnesiac with a transfigured lizard's head, who goes about searching for his lost memories by chomping on people's heads in an steampunk magic hellscape in which much of the cast are anti-villains. Dorohedoro is fully translated (with the exception of the very last few chapters as of Sept 2018) with 23 volumes total. I intend to go through this series again now that it's finished. I hope you all join me.

:siren: KEY NOTES OF THREAD :siren:

1. I was absolutely amazed by this series when I picked it up 3 years ago, so I want to share it all with you.
2. I will not lie to you folks: It's been a few years since I've read this. My memory of the chapters is currently sketchy; something I'd like to rectify.
3. I am always open to ideas on how to proceed with this read-through, and how to improve this OP (I have a fever)
4. This serialization has strong violence, heavy gore, body-horror, nudity, drug abuse, magic abuse and Satanism. This is a :nws: manga. Viewer discretion is advised.
5. Anything past Volume 5 (chapter 30) must be spoiler tagged. The let's read hasn't started yet after all.
6. If an anime is announced I will scream and writhe on the floor; it is my most anticipated anime adaptation save for a Dune series.
7. Eat some Gyoza you scrubs.

8. AN ANIME HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED TIME TO GO APESHIT
9. AND IT LOOKS GREAT

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:allears:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Grouchio posted:

6. If an anime is announced I will scream and writhe on the floor; it is my most anticipated anime adaptation save for a Dune series.

if there is an anime adaptation of the original Dune then I will scream and writhe on the floor on your behalf

if you want to do it too then we’ll do it together

quote:

7. Eat some Gyoza you scrubs.

If I ever make home made gyoza from scratch then I hope to share it with all of you

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I think you mean pot stickers HEH

i considered rereading this to better follow the plot but i think i would be just as befuddled

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wizards and Lizardmen and Chefs do action at each other. Sometimes they have reasons.

It's a good series. Could use more mushrooms though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
An anime of this would require such a ludicrous budget I don't think it could ever be made nowadays in a satisfactory manner.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to set up a Schedule for this Let's Read (Volume by Volume) sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dorohedoro is the only manga I’ve had to read multiple times because I forget the plot each time, so many twists and turns

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
akira and dorohedoro are my favourite

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGGMS9ko_ac

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
everyone has motivations, but kaiman has many faces

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sorry to spam the thread, but you have to be a nasty person to like dorohedoro

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
When I first picked up this manga I was blown away but it seems like it should have ended at least ten volumes sooner gently caress time travel

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 25, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS7X5nuvjHo

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

no spoilers dude

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Never before have I read a manga where every single charcter was at the same time an extremely good child who would never hurt a hair on a fly's head but also a brutal killer with a two-digit bodycount.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

So, since I haven't seen this fun thing mentioned: if you want to add to the whole Dorohedoro reading experience you can fire up the Doroheoro OST, which was apparently the product of Q-Hayashida herself hitting up a bunch of bandcamp artists to put together a pretty intense album. A lot of breakcore and atmospheric, industrial-hellsounds going on. I dig it.

Personal favorites: Eating food and fighting Wizards by poo poo Wife! Enter the Hole by NAH! The Hole by Ghengis!

I will forever find the notion of an author going out and getting their comic an OST hilarious and amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't imagine a Dorohedoro anime actually working; seems like it'd be hard to get the art right.

Dorohedoro is unquestionably my favorite fantasy/sci-fi manga/comic. I really like how the setting is genuinely completely unique, rather than something partially based off typical Tolkien-esque fantasy tropes.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yeah easily the best thing about Dorohedoro is the setting. It's completely wild and the author just throws you right in.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm totally in. I also thought in doing a read-along, too.

In my case, I read like, the first 14 volumes, and then stopped, I was waiting for the series to finish. And it's finally finished! But as at this point I don't remember well what I read, after all these years, I will re-read from zero.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm totally in. I also thought in doing a read-along, too.

In my case, I read like, the first 14 volumes, and then stopped, I was waiting for the series to finish. And it's finally finished! But as at this point I don't remember well what I read, after all these years, I will re-read from zero.

it doesn't make sense even if you re-read it, it's always full bore crazy and even most of the characters don't know what's going on lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hail chidaruma

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
If i recall correctly, the last time i read it i could basically follow what was happening and most of the loose ends got wrapped up, its just that the way they got wrapped up was bizarre and insane. I suspect that up to a certain point hayashida q was just making everything up as she went along, and while she eventually figured out a way to tie everything together, there was no way to do so that wasnt incredibly convoluted.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

halleys comet posted:

If i recall correctly, the last time i read it i could basically follow what was happening and most of the loose ends got wrapped up, its just that the way they got wrapped up was bizarre and insane. I suspect that up to a certain point hayashida q was just making everything up as she went along, and while she eventually figured out a way to tie everything together, there was no way to do so that wasnt incredibly convoluted.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Its one of the greatest mangas ever made regardless.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you know you've got something special when you make characters who are ridiculously brutal, violent murderers but everyone's just absolutely enamored by how cute they are together

I am of course referring to noi and shin

bonus points for noi being built like a brick shithouse and actually being the muscle of the pair

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently the final chapters are taking some time to be translated (like, they won’t be done for months) so read slowly if you’re planning on finishing it all in one go

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Chidaruma is one of the best characters is all of manga

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay so I'm going to put some structure into this and present a proposal:
For all newcomers and veterans of this series, we're going to do Two Volumes a Week.
(And yes the Bonus Curses too!)

LET'S READ DOROHEDORO

Week 1: Curse 1 - 11
Week 2: Curse 12 - 23
Week 3: Curse 24 - 36
Week 4: Curse 37 - 49
Week 5: Curse 50 - 60
Week 6: Curse 61 - 73
Week 7: Curse 74 - 85
Week 8: Curse 86 - 93
Week 9: Curse 94 - 102
Week 10: Curse 102 - 109
Week 11: Curse 110 - 117
Week 12: Curse 118 - 127
Week 13: Curse 128 - 137
Week 14: Curse 138 - 147
Week 15: Curse 148 - 156
Week 16: Curse 157 -166
Week 17: Final Curse 167

As for when we start, gimme a minute. Which day of week works best? Sundays?

Listen to this while reading this post

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 28, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Asking people to read only one volume a week is asking a lot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I should finish up my current book (Malazan book 8) on the weekend, so I could start next week, yeah.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Asking people to read only one volume a week is asking a lot.

Yeah, and two a week would put us on schedule to wrap up around when the final chapters are translated in December

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I changed it to two volumes a week. (Except for the last few volumes; they have ten chapters each)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 28, 2018

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Ebisu is the best character

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Polikarpov posted:

Ebisu is the best character

it's her fault everything happened lol, she's almost as rad as chidaruma and should probably be a devil at this point

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 29, 2018

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

SmokaDustbowl posted:

no spoilers dude

*splosh sploosh*

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Pierson posted:

Never before have I read a manga where every single charcter was at the same time an extremely good child who would never hurt a hair on a fly's head but also a brutal killer with a two-digit bodycount.
My favorite parade of violent dumbasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Shocking!