Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

That was the dumbest and bestvery good manga, I still am not entirely sure what I just marathoned.

At least it had a satisfying if what-the-gently caress ending though.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm bumping this thread to tell you the opening is here and it exudes power.

https://twitter.com/dorohedoro_PR/status/1215561083886301187

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pierson posted:

holy poo poo it's perfect

the OP just being almost exclusively lovingly rendered animations of preparing gyoza is just the best it could be

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

awesome

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
holy poo poo of course they made it seem like a psychedelic cooking show. OF COURSE.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pierson posted:

TWO MORE DAYS FRIENDS

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fish Noise posted:

holy poo poo of course they made it seem like a psychedelic cooking show. OF COURSE.

Grouchio posted:

TWO MORE DAYS FRIENDS

didn't realize it was coming so soon. is it on crunchyroll?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well they know their source material.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

didn't realize it was coming so soon. is it on crunchyroll?
It's stuck in Netflix jail for at least this cour, as far as we know.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love that they managed to both stay true to the manga in general while also staying true to the most important part of the manga: being weird, unexpected, and charming. i have high hopes about the anime now, they clearly understand what makes the manga great

someone make a gif of nikaido's face while she chops the meat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

someone make a gif of nikaido's face while she chops the meat

just having a friendly chuckle

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SAW SOME RAW CLIPS

THEY STUCK THE LANDINNNNNG

IT LOOKS REALLY REALLY GOOOOOOD

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Perhaps somebody should make an anime thread :hmmyes:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Julias posted:

Has any group announced they are going to sub it yet? I don't see the point in making it yet, if only the raws are available to watch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julias posted:

was gonna sneak a "Let's Watch Dorohedoro" thread out when the first subbed episode aired :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Surely there will be fansubs.

Captain Invictus posted:

was gonna sneak a "Let's Watch Dorohedoro" thread out when the first subbed episode aired :v:
Do it now. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just watched the first raw episode, first time since Gurren Lagann I've bothered to watch a show raw. This post has spoilers for...the beginning of dorohedoro, so I'm not going to bother tagging the entire post it since it feels very faithful to the manga, it's the first handful of chapters for the most part.

It's really, really drat good and detailed, to the point of absurdity. it languishes and hovers over every filthy, dilapidated, disgusting scene, and while this is absolutely to save money on animation a lot of the time, I found myself scanning over most of these background shots with talking just looking them over for little details. The hospital, with beds on one side of a stepped walkway, and weird, armored cases on the other side. the massive factory-like conveyor belt scaffolding towering over the city of Hole in one skyline shot. the crashed, abandoned van that nikaido and kaiman walk past. all of these are so ridiculously detailed to show how run-down and broken everything is, juxtaposed with the lavish mushroom-laden mansion of En's house. it moves at a breakneck pace, and one of the most important aspects of the series is very much kept fully intact:

the ridiculous, horrific, gratuitous, downright comically over-the-top levels of violence. In this first episode no less than three gruesome dismemberments happen, literally before the OP of the first episode a guy is turned into ground beef by Kaiman's knives slashing him into meaty chunks. fingers go flying, folks are mutated into cockroach people, and of course, the episode ends with ebisu getting her face torn messily off by kaiman's teeth(and it shows her entire face skin just hanging off his teeth, even) as fujita yanks her through a Door. the episode ends on Shin and Noi massacring a bunch of crosseyes. I guess I never noticed Shin's mask was backwards, that's a nice touch.

Most main characters are CGI, but it seems like when it's important, they seamlessly switch to 2D animation, possibly drawn over the CGI. There are a few moments, often of far-away shots, where you can tell they didn't bother as much with the character models and animation, and it doesn't look great. Then there's stuff like the first three minutes which are glorious, whatever they're doing with cgi in this, it absolutely works. The characters are appropriately dirty, often wearing messy, worn-out or patched up clothing. The Smoke is done in a really satisfying way, too.

I am exceptionally excited for the rest of the season. Sucks that I guess netflix is waiting until the entire thing is out before releasing it in english.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 12, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

beautiful...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

just watched the first raw episode, first time since Gurren Lagann I've bothered to watch a show raw. This post has spoilers for...the beginning of dorohedoro, so I'm not going to bother tagging the entire post it since it feels very faithful to the manga, it's the first handful of chapters for the most part.

It's really, really drat good and detailed, to the point of absurdity. it languishes and hovers over every filthy, dilapidated, disgusting scene, and while this is absolutely to save money on animation a lot of the time, I found myself scanning over most of these background shots with talking just looking them over for little details. The hospital, with beds on one side of a stepped walkway, and weird, armored cases on the other side. the massive factory-like conveyor belt scaffolding towering over the city of Hole in one skyline shot. the crashed, abandoned van that nikaido and kaiman walk past. all of these are so ridiculously detailed to show how run-down and broken everything is, juxtaposed with the lavish mushroom-laden mansion of En's house. it moves at a breakneck pace, and one of the most important aspects of the series is very much kept fully intact:

the ridiculous, horrific, gratuitous, downright comically over-the-top levels of violence. In this first episode no less than three gruesome dismemberments happen, literally before the OP of the first episode a guy is turned into ground beef by Kaiman's knives slashing him into meaty chunks. fingers go flying, folks are mutated into cockroach people, and of course, the episode ends with ebisu getting her face torn messily off by kaiman's teeth(and it shows her entire face skin just hanging off his teeth, even) as fujita yanks her through a Door. the episode ends on Shin and Noi massacring a bunch of crosseyes. I guess I never noticed Shin's mask was backwards, that's a nice touch.

Most main characters are CGI, but it seems like when it's important, they seamlessly switch to 2D animation, possibly drawn over the CGI. There are a few moments, often of far-away shots, where you can tell they didn't bother as much with the character models and animation, and it doesn't look great. Then there's stuff like the first three minutes which are glorious, whatever they're doing with cgi in this, it absolutely works. The characters are appropriately dirty, often wearing messy, worn-out or patched up clothing. The Smoke is done in a really satisfying way, too.

I am exceptionally excited for the rest of the season. Sucks that I guess netflix is waiting until the entire thing is out before releasing it in english.

I can not loving contain my excitement holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

I can not loving contain my excitement holy poo poo
Here's a taste. The first 2~ish minutes, the very opening scene before the intro, very basically subbed. It's a bit dark so you can't see curse's head rising up inside kaiman's throat, but he's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrrHlda25E&hd=1

There's pretty much only one or two spots in this scene I didn't like, when Nikaido drops Fujita and her model just locks up frozen for like 3 straight seconds, even though you're obviously supposed to be looking at Fujita, it's not great that she doesn't move at all. but for the most part the rest is great.

there is also the extensively animated scene of kaiman's dream near the end, where he just vomits a geyser of blood, coating everything in dripping redness, that is fairly lovingly done

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just realized they probably aren't going to use the same fire-extinguisher-like KOOOOOOOOOO sound effect I do to myself every time anyone shoots smoke out of their mouth, and that's going to bother me more than anything else.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
The first episode seemed pretty decent given how absolutely impossible this should be to adapt but it makes me glad I haven't reread the early volumes in almost a decade because all of the little changes would probably drive me crazy, more out of love for the source material than through any fault of the anime. Adapting things into another format is always tough and I'm curious to see how some of the comedy is handled. Loved that they included a "what we learned" segment at the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I checked the first chapter again today and it's really clear they've chosen to go with later designs rather than the original ones because the initial Kaiman is...like a gecko man. he's super lanky and weird, and he has like 4 spikes. I much prefer the bulkier lizardman look he turned into that they've clearly agreed and gone with.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
My question is is everyone still wearing Nike sneakers

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Shin and Noi's first scene is spectacular.

The op and ed are both insanely catchy I love them both.

yum posted:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

yum posted:

Volume 1 was made in 2000.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok but are subs not gonna happen then

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Pierson posted:

Shin and Noi's first scene is spectacular.

The op and ed are both insanely catchy I love them both.

Heck yeah Air Force 1s

Grouchio posted:

Volume 1 was made in 2000.

Ahead of its time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pierson posted:

I'm glad the anime team knows what the most important parts of the series are

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Subs are out. Show good. The backgrounds and details make up for Nikaido's model sometimes freezing perfectly still in kind of an awkward way

Oh man they even do the "Three things we learned this episode:" deal at the end :allears:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 13, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that poo poo kicked rear end

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think my biggest complaint that isn't related to "3d cg looks a little awkward" is "they made matsumura's hand clench after he got cut up instead of before" which makes him saving his partner in death a little less touching but it's such a minor detail

i still like stuff about the style of the manga more than the anime but mappa really does make it work, seeing it in motion and with sound adds so much to the experience

honestly the gore is a bit less grusome than i was expecting, like yeah matsumura gets diced into bloody chunks but the show doesn't dwell on it even slightly. it came off as less gory to me than the manga, where you can stop and soak in all the detailed dismemberment, where in the anime it just kinda cut away into a blood splatter after half a second. ebisu's face getting torn off did make me wince a bit, though i do still kinda wish they had pushed the gore a little harder. i guess it keeps the feeling of hyperviolence without being nearly as offputting to people who aren't like me.

the disgusting squelching noises of risu rising out of kaiman's throat were fantastic, and the backgrounds are incredible. there's some areas where the manga's backgrounds were kind of vague and left a lot to the imagination, which the anime fully realized into some incredible stuff (the Door Room and en's glowing mushroom garden were fantastic to see)

seeing "what we learned" and "that is a mystery... that is... dorohedoro!!!" was hype as hell

it's not a perfect adaptation but it's clearly made by talented people who love and understand the source material and that makes it fun as hell to watch

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i need to doublecheck french netflix again, but i don't think they're showing this....

which is extremely hosed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lol. En is so cool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Man, it feels like it's been years since I was actually excited about new anime and then this and Eizouken come out in the same season.

I'll probably end up reading this since I don't particularly feel like waiting to see what comes next, but that episode definitely sold me on the concept.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The initial chspters are visually a bit ugly, like messier than the eventual controlled chaos the later artwork revels in, and kaiman looks weird as hell in his initial appearance, but it definitely improves over time. Kinda like how attack on titan's artwork is dramatically better now than it was at the start.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I first read dorohedoro it was interesting at the start and I kinda chipped away at it in short bursts

And then at some point, I'm not sure when, I was reading it as soon as I got home from work and didn't stop for hours. It was like a drug, I missed out on hours of sleep just so I could see what would happen next and see these goofy lovable characters chat it up with each other

Dorohedoro is loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also if no one else is gonna I guess I'll make an anime thread for it, anyone got any fun thread title suggestions?