Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Also if no one else is gonna I guess I'll make an anime thread for it, anyone got any fun thread title suggestions?

DOROHEDORO: lizard seeks wizards for the man in his gizzard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

Also if no one else is gonna I guess I'll make an anime thread for it, anyone got any fun thread title suggestions?

Shitwife - Eating food and fighting Wizards (from the other OST)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i made the thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911043

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so at the start of the OP when there's a line of kaiman's walking to their splatterdeath, there's never more than 8 that you can see

this remains true throughout the op until he gets the gyozahead, at which point the number of kaimans doubles or triples

not sure if it was intentional or not but if so, nice touch to not show more than 9 kaimans

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

lol. En is so cool.

At first you think En is a goof, but then you realize he's actually cool and there's a reason everyone thinks he's cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hayashida Q also did the manga adaptation of Maken X, an obscure Dreamcast game by Atlus that might or might not be part of the greater Shin Megami Tensei universe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so assuming 2-3 chapters per episode, at 12 episodes i guess the anime is gonna end right around when nikaido becomes en's partner?

that's kind of a down note to end on

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
i kind of figured they would skip some stuff so they could get to the part where kaiman's curse gets broken/he gets killed by en for the finale. it's been super long so i don't really remember where in the series that happens or if it leaves enough room for everything to get wrapped up in a second season and i guess it's an even bigger downer but i remember it feeling very "end of part 1" at the time so it seems like the best stopping point to me.
there hasn't been any visuals released of natsuki or the cross-eyes though so maybe not.

e: i know spoilers are probably fine in the manga thread but i covered it up just in case anyone clicks this thread by accident. :ohdear:

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 15, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought so too but on reread they'd have to cover a ton of ground to get to kaiman's death. that might be end of season 2 material, if there is one

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
the first season will at least make it as far as the pieman arc because asuka's model is on the pr website. i thought it happened in the arc after that? i don't even remember when the cross-eyes were introduced or how long that would take though. is there anything that happens in the baseball arc that would prevent it from getting axed? it seems like the biggest candidate to get cut for time unless i've forgotten something.

okay, i just checked the website and never mind about asuka? i could have sworn i saw it up on there when the first pv came out but i guess my mind was playing tricks on me.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 15, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean kaiman joins the meat pie people before nikaido is made en's partner

The most important parts of the baseball bit are fujita recovering matsamura (could be cut) and learning about ebisu's powers (could be added in elsewhere)

It's a single chapter though, roughly the length of the sorcerer who turns nikaido into a bunch of bug bits before being killed, and that made it into the anime

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 15, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

An easy thing to forget about dorohedoro is it actually moves at a loving breakneck pace

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
huh, i recalled the early story being pretty slow so i just figured it was a multi-chapter arc. i'm actively avoiding a reread so i get more enjoyment out of the anime but i should probably quit trying to speculate if my memory of the order/length of things is this bad. hope they at least make it as far as the best character (haru). she was in the contract arc, right?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nope! Haru doesnt show up for quite a while iirc. I've been doing a reread, and the early parts drag a bit less because of length and more because it's kind of monster-of-the-week-y. I think the baseball chapter had a bit of an intro the chapter before and outro the chapter after but it was basically a single chapter. Surprised me too

They seem to be cutting little snippets out of chapters rather than cutting whole chapters, if the first episode is anything to go by. I.e. matsamura's funeral is shortened but they still included it (they cut fujita putting on the goofy shoes, though they made sure to give the shoes a close up later) (the funeral wasn't a whole chapter but it's a good example of how they're shorting stuff, the anime kinda breezed right through it while the manga gave it a bit more room to breathe)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It sometimes seemed like it "moved" slowly, but that was mostly due to the release schedule being all fucky. When Hayashida got "in the zone", it was as mental as watching an Every Time I Die concert where the band was giving it the 120%.

For example...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwMa5z6WyA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, would it be ok with the thread if we changed the thread tag to manga, as to better help newcomers avoid spoilers?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that seems like a good idea. maybe a thread title that contains the word "manga" too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you know if they go at 3 chapters an episode and cut out like 4 chapters they could end on kaiman and nikaido's fight, where nikaido gets the contract pulled out of her

that'd probably be a really good place to end the season

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You also have my blessing to fix the hastily made thread OP, comrade.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Baseball mini-arc gave us Ebisu dancing in a shark costume, an incredibly important moment I would never want to part with.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm probably gonna reread the manga, as there's a ton I don't remember from it, and I never finished what was probably the final arc.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

yellowyams posted:

the first season will at least make it as far as the pieman arc because asuka's model is on the pr website. i thought it happened in the arc after that? i don't even remember when the cross-eyes were introduced or how long that would take though. is there anything that happens in the baseball arc that would prevent it from getting axed? it seems like the biggest candidate to get cut for time unless i've forgotten something.

okay, i just checked the website and never mind about asuka? i could have sworn i saw it up on there when the first pv came out but i guess my mind was playing tricks on me.

You can’t cut the baseball arc!! You will regret this!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first episode seemed very faithful from what I remember, did it cut anything?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yes

it cut fujita putting on his funeral shoes

as far as i can tell it didn't cut any scenes, but it did cut individual shots to save time when a scene didn't really need them/could afford to lose a little time. i haven't done a side by side comparison but i wouldn't be surprised to see conversations shortened and more minor stuff along those lines. for the most part as far as i can tell, it's less "they didn't cut anything important" and more "they only cut the bare minimum"

i am mad about fujita's shoes not being as ridiculous as they are in the manga though

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I will be honest, I think the manga is always going to be the superior and ideal way to enjoy dorohedoro, but I'm still glad it's gotten an anime adaption and I hope it brings in lots of new fans.

It is the best manga.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

yes

it cut fujita putting on his funeral shoes

Did they cut out all mentions of them being funeral shoes entirely? Because that’d actually bum me out a bit. It’s a nice subtle way to show how much Matsumura meant to him, enough for him to wear those dumb shoes through practically the whole story. Also the fact that those are funeral shoes was the first thing that made me realize how god drat weird this place was on a core level.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Did they cut out all mentions of them being funeral shoes entirely? Because that’d actually bum me out a bit. It’s a nice subtle way to show how much Matsumura meant to him, enough for him to wear those dumb shoes through practically the whole story. Also the fact that those are funeral shoes was the first thing that made me realize how god drat weird this place was on a core level.

En asks Fujita why he is still wearing the funeral shoes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

En asks Fujita why he is still wearing the funeral shoes.

Good! To be honest I mostly posted to gush about the shoes a bit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

yeah they make sure to get a closeup of the shoes later. they also do a kind of truncated funeral, which i wish had gotten a bit more time because that was when i realized how loving weird this setting is. the funeral procession is fujita putting on these weirdass shoes and then dropping an egg into some bizarre sludge, then told "pray for his reincarnation"

personally though my favorite fujita/matsumura moment is matsumura realizing that he's about to die, and in the split second before he does summoning the door to save fujita, like he's in shock over having his head munched and having a chat with curse and all, but his last thoughts are "gotta save my buddy"

which is one change i don't really like from the manga, in the manga his dismembered hand is already clenched and it's more meant to be like, he was starting to summon the door right before he got chopped up so even dismembered his hand is still enough of the way through the action to finish it. in the anime it shows the hand clenching in mid air, which makes it kinda look like it was matsumura's ghost or some poo poo saving him, which is less powerful to me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's a very "gently caress it, at least one of us has to make it offa this mess" moment on Matsumura's side and I was sorta bummed they didn't include it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

yellowyams posted:

i kind of figured they would skip some stuff so they could get to the part where kaiman's curse gets broken/he gets killed by en for the finale. it's been super long so i don't really remember where in the series that happens or if it leaves enough room for everything to get wrapped up in a second season and i guess it's an even bigger downer but i remember it feeling very "end of part 1" at the time so it seems like the best stopping point to me.
there hasn't been any visuals released of natsuki or the cross-eyes though so maybe not.

e: i know spoilers are probably fine in the manga thread but i covered it up just in case anyone clicks this thread by accident. :ohdear:

Hoping they bookend the series with, "I'm going to do the same thing I do to all Magic Users," or however that line goes. Start and end the series with somebody getting a good look at the curse. But it has been a while since I read this, could be too far in.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Stayed up till 2 am reading this and it's been crazy as poo poo the whole time in the best way. Absolutely regretting not picking it up earlier.

I can't wait for more bad things to happen to Fujita

Noi da best

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Herbotron posted:

I can't wait for more bad things to happen to Fujita

Shin, holding up Fujita: stinky

Ebisu: no! don't be mean!!

Shin, swaying him back and forth in the air: stinky bastard man

Ebisu: No!!!!!!!!!

En, not looking up from chopping mushrooms: naughty boy. brat wizard

Ebisu, distraught: NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Herbotron posted:

Noi da best

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't wait to see noi punch someone's entire existence out of them in glorious HD animation

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the shark song.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Finished it, haven't binged that hard on a manga in a long time.
Probably don't need spoilers in this thread but just to be safe:
What a wild ride, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and the ending actually managed to pull everything together really well, though I'd have appreciated some more permanent effects. Everything just kind of goes back to normal. Kaiman isn't a sorcerer anymore, Nikaidou isn't a devil, En takes over the sorcerer world again, etc. Main plot wise there was tons of stuff coming out of left field but nothing felt like an rear end pull. Really fun characters, plenty of mystery and an all around great plot combined with a grotesque and whimsical world. Owns owns owns.
Gyoza is the strongest.
Only thing I'm really confused about plot wise is why didn't Nikaidou do anything more drastic with time travel? I would have liked the story less if she had but for being one of the most insanely overpowered abilities in the manga it didn't do much. Even En just wanted to find out if he managed to kill the boss, he didn't mention anything about changing the past. She can clearly go pretty far back in time and can also mess with causality just fine so I don't get it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Herbotron posted:

Finished it, haven't binged that hard on a manga in a long time.
Probably don't need spoilers in this thread but just to be safe:
What a wild ride, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and the ending actually managed to pull everything together really well, though I'd have appreciated some more permanent effects. Everything just kind of goes back to normal. Kaiman isn't a sorcerer anymore, Nikaidou isn't a devil, En takes over the sorcerer world again, etc. Main plot wise there was tons of stuff coming out of left field but nothing felt like an rear end pull. Really fun characters, plenty of mystery and an all around great plot combined with a grotesque and whimsical world. Owns owns owns.
Gyoza is the strongest.
Only thing I'm really confused about plot wise is why didn't Nikaidou do anything more drastic with time travel? I would have liked the story less if she had but for being one of the most insanely overpowered abilities in the manga it didn't do much. Even En just wanted to find out if he managed to kill the boss, he didn't mention anything about changing the past. She can clearly go pretty far back in time and can also mess with causality just fine so I don't get it.

Uh.....Even changing a little thing caused incredibly horrible consequences that traumatized her and made her never want to use magic ever again. She also only has limited uses of the magic because it uses up so much of her smoke.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh.....Even changing a little thing caused incredibly horrible consequences that traumatized her and made her never want to use magic ever again. She also only has limited uses of the magic because it uses up so much of her smoke.
Yeah but Nikaidou, I don't want to say got over it, resolved that to a pretty large extent, otherwise she wouldn't have used magic at all. She even managed to fix those horrible consequences. She was also in that manic devil state for large portions of the climax. Even if she was capable of caution it would have totally made sense for her to do something risky in the face of overwhelming odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Noi is No1 which is why it's written on her jacket.