Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dorohedoro is about respecting women (or they'll kill you)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well this episode had Noi in her "formal" outfit

highly compressable hair

she has also gone viral in some tweets because she is a muscley anime girl main character which almost never exist or if they do are comically overexaggerated in scale

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Captain Invictus posted:

she has also gone viral in some tweets because she is a muscley anime girl main character which almost never exist or if they do are comically overexaggerated in scale

I mean, she IS canonically 6'9" so. She just happens to be also adorable.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The devil training workout seems like it's pretty effective at building muscle and also everything else.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Kaiman's little cleaning song was really cute. It's going to be interesting if they ever reach Ai Coleman in future seasons. As much as Takagi suits Kaiman, I have a hard time imagining that voice coming out of Ai.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

well this episode had Noi in her "formal" outfit

highly compressable hair

I think a random Noi tweet was what got me to start reading so that doesn’t surprise me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yo

https://twitter.com/sonic06fanclub/status/1218635806262231040?s=19

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I kind of forgot, did Ebisu go mental because of getting her face ripped off?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think maybe the original plan was that she was all loopy after her traumatic encounter with Kaiman, but then Q Hayashida decided she liked her that way and just made it her personality?
Ebisu meets a couple of characters from her past and they don't seem to notice anything weird about her speech or demeanor.

edit: wait, maybe I need to reread yet again. There was that bit where she suddenly remembers her old life and I forget why or how.

Libra fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 22, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I kind of forgot, did Ebisu go mental because of getting her face ripped off?

she definitely lost memories over it. i got the feeling that she was always a little loopy but having teeth get lodged in her brain seriously messed her up in a way that never quite healed. also occasionally poo poo would happen in the manga where she'd just get a thing stuck in ehr head that made her physically incapable of not laughing all the time or whatever.

also she was doing black powder from infancy or something and i think that might've been part of it too

Libra posted:

edit: wait, maybe I need to reread yet again. There was that bit where she suddenly remembers her old life and I forget why or how.

in my ongoing reread of the manga the first mention of any of that stuff is ebisu having memories come back while in the middle of tripping out on en's dream mushrooms

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ninjewtsu posted:

she definitely lost memories over it. i got the feeling that she was always a little loopy but having teeth get lodged in her brain seriously messed her up in a way that never quite healed. also occasionally poo poo would happen in the manga where she'd just get a thing stuck in ehr head that made her physically incapable of not laughing all the time or whatever.

also she was doing black powder from infancy or something and i think that might've been part of it too

in my ongoing reread of the manga the first mention of any of that stuff is ebisu having memories come back while in the middle of tripping out on en's dream mushrooms

been rereading, and it seems she was doing black powder to meet the expectations of her parents. she definitely wasn't crazy before, but she seems to not retain her sanity for a very long period in the manga (she gets it back after en's mushroom, then loses it again after she's resurrected with a hair pin in her brain).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, probably going against Kaiman and getting teeth in her brain plus the trauma of getting her face ripped off (I'm not gonna say "clean off" because it was anything but), not to mention having that close an encounter with death probably did further hosed her up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just read this. It owned.

It's kind of weird how the cross eyes ended up kind of the only named casualties.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dokuga got loving robbed by the ending. everyone gets a happy ending*

*except for the only person in the manga who's not super casual about murder. he continues to have to repress all emotion for fear of hurting his friends with his poison spit, except he doesn't really need to because most of his friends are dead now and also he's homeless. kaiman made sure he isn't also crippled though so :thumbsup:

it sticks out really bizarrely and it makes me sad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The "oh we're just tumors" realization is the grimmest poo poo in the manga (well, bar the black comedy setting aspects but you get my meaning) and oh well, gently caress you Natsuki and Ton, also whoops there go your friends too.

Meanwhile the whole En crew get out totally Scott free to go back to running their brutalass wizard mob monarchy!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Natsuki deserved better.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

I just read this. It owned.

It's kind of weird how the cross eyes ended up kind of the only named casualties.

How dare yall forget Matsumura!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

You know who was a weird character? 13, the guy who eats at Nikaido's restaurant and kind of hovers around the main Hole gang.
He literally never did anything and just kind of existed, but was weirdly prominent for such a character.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

13 is what fujita would've been if fujita never even bothered to try

Where fujita is loveable and endearing for trying his best despite having no talents, 13 just kind of takes up space going "siiiggghhhh I'll never get to bang nikaido" and is mostly just pathetic for it

I think his biggest contribution outside of "now that we have a 9th player we can play baseball" was the pushed doc through the window of haze's house when it was being destroyed

He's the only character I have any particular dislike of

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's just so weird that he exists at all, let alone gets a name and a unique design.
Whenever he was on panel I was like "Oh yeah, this guy. What's his deal again? What's he doing here?" and the answer to both of those questions is nothing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like hayashida had some plan for him when he got introduced that she changed her mind on. he's mostly an extra body for the hole group so they're not just "kasukabe and the giant cockroach"

with 13, they're "kasukabe and pals"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
13’s design is exactly my kind of poo poo so at least one person appreciated his presence.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Who else loves Kikurage?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a surprise bonus manga chapter out that is quite excellent and also :nws:

involves ebisu/noi shenanigans :allears:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just finished the manga after coming from the anime. Overall I think the anime so far is a much better experience than the manga. That may change when it gets to the later stuff. As for the manga itself I read all of it, and theres a lot of it, so its clearly not bad but I can't really say it was great either.

Pros
  • I think the author has a very solid handle on humor and was very adept at when to use it without taking away from all the drama / horror going on. In particular I thought her various characterizations were good. Chiduruma & En both adding in way too much personal detail to their long winded stories was great. Ebisu's background commentary was pretty good.
  • The art style & general world building was great. As was mentioned before the setting is certainly unique with endless potential for storytelling
  • The devils were all wonderful
  • This goes back to the comedy but I really like the cross eyes inner circle being a bunch of very poor people and their various money saving things. Its just such an effective & funny characterization for what are essentially ruthless assassins.
  • Shin & Nois obsession with food
  • I really liked Caiman & Nikaido at the beginning of the story
  • The story does manage to resolve itself which is impressive given its sprawl
  • Noi+Kikurage's power is so obviously broken in universe but it ends up leading to some funny situations (like the heads)

Cons
  • I honestly liked the story more as Caiman & Nikaido wrecking sorcerors and palling around, than any of the mystery stuff or the Ai Coleman/Aikawa/Hole/Risu stuff, so the latter obviously being the major focus of the 2nd half of the manga was just torturous
  • Sho showing up (lol) randomly 2/3rds of the way through the story felt like a major asspull, and was only barely saved by everyone in character acknowledging what an asspull it was.
  • Really felt like while a lot of the characters went through hell, the fact that alls well that ends well for a majority of the cast was weird.
  • The pervasive female nudity but lack of male nudity was offputting, and I wasn't a fan of putting Nikaido in particular in a lot of situations where she was nude and being overpowered.
  • I realize by the end we've seen many different types of sorcerers and not all of them are bad, but the end coming down to a bunch of petty sorcerers imbuing caiman with power to win (even if the result is hilarious) was like ehhhhhhhhhhhh, wasn't feeling it.
  • The time travel stuff, while telegraphed from a mile away just by virtue of it being Nikaido's power, I also wasn't really feeling it.
  • Noi+Judas' Ear/Kikurage power is so obviously broken in universe that a lot of the tension gets broken for me.

Overall worth reading and I look forward to the rest of whatever gets animated.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sho shows up like in the exact middle of the manga (going by chapter count, anyway). it's pretty crazy how fast the manga flies by

he also actually shows up in the background of en's group a few times during the blue night section, i'm pretty sure i noticed on reread. not sure if that was supposed to be an intentional setup for the "wait who are you?" joke or if q hayashida just made a random background character who she liked enough to ascend to a primary character later.

there's also not exactly as much male nudity as female nudity but a lot of the male characters get the uh, boobs n' butt pose treatment

https://twitter.com/nikitamissle/status/1234618590080520193?s=21

(just cause twitter cuts off the image)

it's pretty funny once you start seeing it because it's actually loving everywhere in the manga (no i'm not saying this is the same as sexualizing women but it is loving funny and thus worth mentioning)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 27, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The people demand dongs

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just loving found out the other day, when I was checking for the new bonus chapter, that "THE END" however-many years ago was a loving fake-out and there were like 5 more chapters afterward. The ending that I thought had happened was wrong all along??
I never expected to get a fake-out ending that actually fooled me, let alone in linear, physical media
:eyepop:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I cannot read this entire thread because I'm still on volume #17. I would like to learn how to make gyoza. I have a steamer basket

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The hardest part is not overstuffing them, or yourself afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The nudity in Dorohedoro also doesn't feel even remotely like fan-service to me (or at least not male-gaze fan-service, which makes sense given the author is a woman).

I also like a lot of the mid-to-latter parts mainly because I like the extended cast a lot and they tend to get more focus.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The nudity in Dorohedoro also doesn't feel even remotely like fan-service to me (or at least not male-gaze fan-service, which makes sense given the author is a woman).

I also like a lot of the mid-to-latter parts mainly because I like the extended cast a lot and they tend to get more focus.

its for the gaze of both men and women who like huge knockers

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite random bit, thus far, is when En tells Fujita about how Shin met Noi, and can't resist going on a tangent about the most popular dish at a chain of restaurants he used to own.

The nudity feels almost entirely nonsexual. Shin is the only character in the series who seems to care about hooters escaping and bouncing around, and he's embarrassed.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ebisu also cares, because they're not hers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think dorohedoro's nudity is generally more acceptable than typical nudity but "entirely nonsexual" is absolutely not how i would describe the way q hayashida draws her characters, even being pretty generous that seems way too far

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
yeah, they just might not seem sexual to you. There’s some extreme positive androgyny or something going on where some characters are super beautiful in both female and male physical characteristics

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I mean Shimada Death's "Human Form" in Dai Dark is incredibly horny but that's because hot babes kick rear end and rule

Who doesn't want to look at babes?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yum posted:

yeah, they just might not seem sexual to you. There’s some extreme positive androgyny or something going on where some characters are super beautiful in both female and male physical characteristics

This is a better way of putting it then I did. I think what I mostly meant is that the Dorohedoro nudity doesn't feel offensive in the same way as the nudity (or semi-nudity) you might find in something like a fan-service heavy shounen comic.

I guess one way to put it is that it doesn't feel like the nudity is "at the expense" of the characters being portrayed. It seems more like it's supposed to "make them look cool" or something, rather than just "make them titillating to the reader." It's sorta like the woman version of drawing a topless man who is fit and badass - people might think the character is hot, but people not attracted to their gender/body-type will also think they look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I think Q Hayashida likes drawing people with huge tits regardless of their gender, and that's probably as far as the thinking went.