Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
:siren:Update::siren:

Episode 19: Optimus Prime Is Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

tbf Driblee is pretty nicely designed; it's basically the bust of Nefertiti, in adorable splashy tadpole-fish form

also, your party includes both cooking and earth-based powers, but iirc neither of you make a joke about getting stoned or baked. Is...is that even legal? :ohdear:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Unfortunately, as of the recording, it wasn't quite as topical as it would be today, what with weed being legal in Canada now.

We could use that kind of wit in our LPs, though. You're hired.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 20: Wait 'Til The Pink

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 21: Death In The Family

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hm. Would you say you woke up this morning at the start of the end of the world, but it was feeling just like every other moment before?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

How quick we are to turn on Driblee when she is no longer convenient to us.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

How quick we are to turn on Driblee when she is no longer convenient to us.

Her death devastated me. The episode is named for her tragedy! Do not impugn my love for my adorable, stupid tadpole daughter

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 22: This Is What You Wanted

I have since had Nutella.
It's alright. It's more of a once-in-a-while treat than something I'd buy a jar of to spread on stuff, like peanut butter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. Here I was expecting the generals to save us at the end. I guess they'll just... drift through space forever and eventually stop thinking?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 23: Get Swole

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
World of Light dumped a whole new bunch of grist in the meme mill.

Anyway, the abbreviated adventures are pretty nice! Does who you choose as your protagonist change anything? Does every friend have to beat their own game or does everybody share progress?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

World of Light dumped a whole new bunch of grist in the meme mill.

Anyway, the abbreviated adventures are pretty nice! Does who you choose as your protagonist change anything? Does every friend have to beat their own game or does everybody share progress?

I only played through it once more after this recording, using Marx. I'm assuming the regular companions (Gim, Bugzzy, Driblee, etc) all have the same layouts, but Marx's adventure was markedly different: the puzzles were designed very specifically around him and his abilities, and how the elements, such as fire or electricity, would work with how he operates. As well, a number of his sections were lifted wholesale straight from Kirby Super Star, but given the HD treatment. This also played for the final boss.

So, I'd imagine that every run is different for the Dream Partners. Which is an awful lot of effort and detail for something that isn't part of the main game! It adds quite a lot of replay value, imo.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 24: Oh No, He's Adorable

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Chef Kawasaki rules in this game, dang

he can heal people and lay the smack down

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

SatansOnion posted:

Chef Kawasaki rules in this game, dang

he can heal people and lay the smack down
There's a reason why Maple and I put him in the thumbnail I made for his videos. Dude is my big fat cooking son.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 25: Celebratory Body Slam

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 26: A Swordid Affair

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

can't believe Olive Branch shows his true colours, talking about how useless Driblee and refusing to swap from Chef Kawasaki while repeatedly walking past a literal Chef Kawasaki dispenser

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

can't believe Olive Branch shows his true colours, talking about how useless Driblee and refusing to swap from Chef Kawasaki while repeatedly walking past a literal Chef Kawasaki dispenser
A true chef knows when to heat his oven. :colbert: And Driblee is good only for sushi slices.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 27: A Game That We Did Need

I'm interested in hearing your opinion.
Was there any game produced between now and 2010 that you would consider a necessity to gaming culture? A game that, without it, the gaming landscape would look significantly different today?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I can't believe I didn't bring up Papers, Please. The auteur project of minimalist gameplay pushing an underplayed story needs to be copied more.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 28: Unnecessary

In a landslide popular vote, Papers, Please is considered the Most Necessary Game of the past decade

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Tell us about board games though!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently that butterfly kept showing up in the intros for Kirby games in the recent couple years, so naturally HAL asked themselves the important question "what if this tiny bug is actually an extremely powerful swordsman".

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Solumin posted:

Tell us about board games though!
Well, there have been tons of board games in the "renaissance" that we've had this past decade, really starting about 20 years ago tops. From the "classic good ones" for beginners like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Codenames (probably my favorite board game ever) to tougher ones with some measures of co-operative play or strategy like Pandemic, Forbidden Desert, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, and even fast ones like One Night Werewolf, Star Realms, and Boss Monster... there are plenty of good games out there to get started with a local group!

Check out Shut Up and Sit Down, a British website with two dudes who review board games in depth and give great commentary about what games do well or not, and which ones they recommend. They haven't led me astray yet with recommendations to rent out games in cafes, and if you're looking for a goofier idea of how they're played (and don't mind Wil Wheaton) check out the TableTop series where they play everything from Small World to Munchkin!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 29: With The Power of Friendship

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

We do love Kirby!

Olive Branch posted:

Well, there have been tons of board games in the "renaissance" that we've had this past decade, really starting about 20 years ago tops. From the "classic good ones" for beginners like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Codenames (probably my favorite board game ever) to tougher ones with some measures of co-operative play or strategy like Pandemic, Forbidden Desert, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, and even fast ones like One Night Werewolf, Star Realms, and Boss Monster... there are plenty of good games out there to get started with a local group!

Check out Shut Up and Sit Down, a British website with two dudes who review board games in depth and give great commentary about what games do well or not, and which ones they recommend. They haven't led me astray yet with recommendations to rent out games in cafes, and if you're looking for a goofier idea of how they're played (and don't mind Wil Wheaton) check out the TableTop series where they play everything from Small World to Munchkin!

Forbidden Desert is pretty awesome. I like Betrayal, too, though there's only so many times you can play it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 30: Everything's Better With A Chef

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 31: Wait For It

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm glad you're bringing Driblee on these. Also, Suplex is totally OP, that's incredible.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Solumin posted:

I'm glad you're bringing Driblee on these. Also, Suplex is totally OP, that's incredible.

Oh hello, I didn't see you there.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 21, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah ok the Chef is pretty cool too

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

Oh hello, I didn't see you there.

If, at any point, I had to choose between you and Driblee, well...

Consider yourself fortunate, is all.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

If, at any point, I had to choose between you and Driblee, well...

Consider yourself fortunate, is all.
Friendship ended with Maple Leaf
Now Chef Kawasaki is my best friend

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 32 - FINALE: One More Time

Thank you for sticking with us through this LP! It was nice to do something a little more casual and low-effort than my usual stuff.

I don't know when my next LP will be, but I have an idea on what I'd like to do, so that's a start. Hope to see you then!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That was a pretty intense finale for a game for little children.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That finale looked incredibly hard. Suplex cheese is real, I guess.

Great job, thanks for the LP! It was pretty chill.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The last episode was un-chill in terms of OH GOD WE GOTTA SAVE OUR HIDES but it was still a fun experience for me! Cheers for having me once again, Maple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Star Allies seems pretty well-suited to casual play! Though good lord, if you actually cleared guest star mode with everybody, that could take days.