Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Man, Jonah Hill's accent in the next-to-last episode is... something.

also, much earlier in the show, but I love the weird not-quite-New York stuff. Statue of Extra Liberty, Brooklyn Public Library Bus Terminal, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

"The Guy" from High Maintenance, Ben Sinclair. He was the fake Owen that proposed.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

That would mean the B-dreams were unwatchable, and I don't agree with that at all.

A tonal issue I had was that Gertie felt scary during the first 8 episodes, but pathetic in ep 9. And I thought the Rubik's Cube thing was kinda lame, so I wasn't feeling the climax for the most part.

Both of those things are intentionally part of the show. Gertie is supposed to be a pathetic character, because the premise of a super aware AI is being satirized and mocked. The Rubik's cube is also supposed to be lame. It's based on Owen's personality, so it needs to be a task that he's especially good at - e.g. the cube that they show him playing with throughout the series.

How the gently caress do you people fail so completely at watching television?

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

The Rubik's cube is also supposed to be lame. It's based on Owen's personality, so it needs to be a task that he's especially good at - e.g. the cube that they show him playing with throughout the series.

Yeah, it's just, like, Owen has these weird "you will save the universe" fantasies but then what's a thing Owen the real person can even do well at all? That's about it, as we're shown

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

sector_corrector posted:

Both of those things are intentionally part of the show. Gertie is supposed to be a pathetic character, because the premise of a super aware AI is being satirized and mocked. The Rubik's cube is also supposed to be lame. It's based on Owen's personality, so it needs to be a task that he's especially good at - e.g. the cube that they show him playing with throughout the series.

Obviously it was "supposed" to be like that because they wrote it that way. Duh. I'm saying that I didn't enjoy them as much as the early stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really really liked this show. I think the comparison to big blockbusters like Inception hurts more than it helps because the ending is so lowkey and straightforward while people seem to have expected some massive twist.

I am in love with the artstyle of everything in the real world. It's like if the technology of today was discovered earlier and still had the aesthetics of the 80s

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like in the (episode 1 or 2) “Super Liberty Statue” scene you can not tell me that the Russian tour guide and the red hats and the fact that the statue is called “Super Liberty Statue” isn’t flat out making fun of us in TYOOL2016.

The tourists with red hats/flags/backpacks are digging at Chinese tourists in our world but in this world it's the Russians who do that poo poo. Not a maga reference

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lady Galaga posted:

The tourists with red hats/flags/backpacks are digging at Chinese tourists in our world but in this world it's the Russians who do that poo poo. Not a maga reference

Oh god how did I write the wrong name twice and also the year.

Lycus posted:

That would mean the B-dreams were unwatchable, and I don't agree with that at all.

A tonal issue I had was that Gertie felt scary during the first 8 episodes, but pathetic in ep 9. And I thought the Rubik's Cube thing was kinda lame, so I wasn't feeling the climax for the most part.

Wasn't it just because it was a Japanese pharma company?

Yeah I guess it could have been that. I’ll need to rewatch it to check out the background. It’s just that the signage in the building was all in Japanese from what I remember and I don’t think Japanese companies in the US today do that.

obliriovrons posted:

Yeah, it's just, like, Owen has these weird "you will save the universe" fantasies but then what's a thing Owen the real person can even do well at all? That's about it, as we're shown

The final cube scene made laugh with the dialogue. I dunno if it makes sense to people who have never solved a Rubik’s cube but him shouting. “Make the cross! Build up the sides!” is a legit method to solve one of those. It’s called the layer by layer method :v:

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
It's been almost a decade but I got stuck in a month long job training deal and found a Rubix cube. I'm dumb as hell and I think it was only like 3 algorithms that you need to know to solve it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I really liked this show and I'm sad there won't be more of it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

I really liked this show and I'm sad there won't be more of it.

I know they said there wouldn't be more but I felt they wrote themselves an opportunity for a spinoff-style show with the other lab tech from the other experiment in the elevator near the end.

I'm sure they won't do anything with that, but if they wanted to they could.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
They could do an entire 13 ep prequel with Fujita and Mantelray that would be more engaging than any Marvel show but I like the unanswered questions.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I really liked the show but I'm glad it's its own self-contained one shot story, we don't get that very often. I was kind of hoping that's what Stranger Things was when it first came out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ovenmaster posted:

I liked the show, but I finished it feeling a bit disappointed anyway. I never really got a sense of anything being fantastical or profound, despite dealing with a universe where a sentient computer can literally plug into your mind and manipulate your dreamscape.
I never got the sense that it was trying to be profound.

Ovenmaster posted:

And the whole 'connection' thing between Jonah Hill and Emma Stone never seemed as significant as it was portrayed either
It was portrayed as literally just a crossed wire in the computer though? They thought it was meaningful because they didn't know what was causing it and it was happening to them, so it seemed personal and mysterious, but it was just a random thing that happened because a machine was broken.

obliriovrons posted:

I'm glad it's its own self-contained one shot story, we don't get that very often.
I agree.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I never got the sense that it was trying to be profound.

When Cholo Jonah started talking about Gnosticism I thought they'd reveal that the base world with the alternative New York would be fake and run by another level of AI

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

obliriovrons posted:

I really liked the show but I'm glad it's its own self-contained one shot story, we don't get that very often. I was kind of hoping that's what Stranger Things was when it first came out.

Agreed. Just finished binging this and thought it was a fantastic approach to traumatic events and recovering from grief. There doesn't really need to be more even tho they set up the show in a interesting world.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They missed a trick by not getting a cameo by Michael Cera, who I could definitely see blending into this world.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I cried something fierce in episode 9. This show wasn't the trippy psychedelic bender I was expecting, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Fried Watermelon posted:

When Cholo Jonah started talking about Gnosticism I thought they'd reveal that the base world with the alternative New York would be fake and run by another level of AI

This is kind of what I was suspecting toward the end too, strengthened by elements from the dreamscape like Cholo Jorah's car later turning out to be in the "real world" too but owned by Fujita, which Jorah would have no way to know about

I did feel slightly let down by the end, possibly because I didn't pay enough attention during my watch to actually pick up on all the details that were the catalyst for the characters overcoming their issues. It ended up feeling a bit unearned as a consequence. Perhaps a rewatch will make it clearer, but it's a thing that I feel is important to communicate clearly the first time.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Slashrat posted:

This is kind of what I was suspecting toward the end too, strengthened by elements from the dreamscape like Cholo Jorah's car later turning out to be in the "real world" too but owned by Fujita, which Jorah would have no way to know about

The patient at Owen's facility that Annie pretended to be visiting in the last episode was "Wendy Lemuria", already being visited by "Dan Marino" or whatever Cholo Jonah was called. Lemuria is a hypothetical lost continent, similar to Atlantis, tying in with the doc's whole... thing.

It's possible that GRTA McMurphied everyone with the gas in ep 9,
or maybe the show's just magical realist as gently caress. Who knows.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wife and I just ran through this today, and I thought it was pretty cool. I loved that Netflix didn't feel the need to keep each episode at a set length. If you are dropping all the episodes at once there isn't a reason to do that and I don't know if I could take 45 minutes of extended goofy dream sequences. Emma Stone and Sally Field are great. I agree that the real world of the show is far more interesting than the dreamscapes (although the first one is incredible).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was the first one the car trip?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I finished it earlier. Like the unexplained alternate world. It felt like the show was poking fun of people wanting something more...thought provoking I guess? Not sure how to put it. Like they build up to these moments then but don't make the resolution as fantastical as the situations. I really liked this though.

Post script thought are I thought everything before they get in the elevator in episode 9 was funny. Also the subject of his brothers trial was darkly amusing.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was the first one the car trip?

I was thinking the lemur one, which is technically the third, I suppose. Since the first two are just memories, I kind of forgot them

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 30, 2018

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Just finished the show and I absolutely loved it! The overall look of the show was incredible. But at the same time, I almost felt like this was a portfolio piece for Cary Fukunaga showing off how versatile he is in directing different settings and themes. Having looked him up afterwards, I'm excited to see that he's slated to direct the next Bond film.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Murderion posted:

The patient at Owen's facility that Annie pretended to be visiting in the last episode was "Wendy Lemuria", already being visited by "Dan Marino" or whatever Cholo Jonah was called. Lemuria is a hypothetical lost continent, similar to Atlantis, tying in with the doc's whole... thing.

It's possible that GRTA McMurphied everyone with the gas in ep 9,
or maybe the show's just magical realist as gently caress. Who knows.

I think that “Wendy Lemuria” is more of a reference to Wendy the lemur.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I guess it could have been that. I’ll need to rewatch it to check out the background. It’s just that the signage in the building was all in Japanese from what I remember and I don’t think Japanese companies in the US today do that.
No, the show is an alternate universe (taking place roughly now), except instead of the Nazis winning it's 80's Japanese-takeover assumptions. Basically Blade Runner except not noir and some downgrading (no flying cars) since the show is looking back to look forward instead of just looking forward. Hence the clunky technology. Some portions manage it better than others.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Justin Theroux was loving exquisite in this. Twenty goddamn stars.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fried Watermelon posted:

The "real world" design was very much "80s vision of 2018" and while it was cool looking, it takes you out of the whole thing at the end because I was expecting that very thing. Why do 6 layers of fantasy alternate worlds and commit to the alternate world being the real world?

Like I really thought there would be a sequence at the end where Annie and Owen wake up in the "real machine" in our world, or in our near future. I thought they were going to play with us like the weird end of the US Life On Mars and even the supposed real world of the entire show would be in a simulation.

Also the whole thing with the Yoda guy from Japan on the TV and his actual motivations for the experiment/tech and wanting to use it for a "personal problem" went nowhere.

But overall I liked it. It was weird and sweet and funny at times ("ANNIE! IT'S ME! OWEN! I'M A HAWK!")

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

Like I really thought there would be a sequence at the end where Annie and Owen wake up in the "real machine" in our world, or in our near future. I thought they were going to play with us like the weird end of the US Life On Mars and even the supposed real world of the entire show would be in a simulation.
What would be the point of that though? It would mean that instead of seeing their dreamworlds in the context of their real lives we'd been seeing them in the context of another dreamworld and we'd have no idea of who they were in reality or what any of it had meant for them.

The ending of the American version of Life on Mars was terrible for that reason. Instead of communicating any viewpoint or trying to make you think about anything it just went "None of that meant anything; it was just some random poo poo a broken computer did. Most of the characters were just simulations and even the protagonist wasn't actually himself so nothing mattered at all to anyone and he pretty much forgot about it and went on with his life." They were clearly so pleased with having come up with an explanation that they didn't bother to think about why the mystery had existed in the first place.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey I just finished episode 6 and something confused me. earlier on, Emma stone was planning to visit her sister who she had the fight with, but it's implied now that she's dead? is this supposed to be ambiguous?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hey I just finished episode 6 and something confused me. earlier on, Emma stone was planning to visit her sister who she had the fight with, but it's implied now that she's dead? is this supposed to be ambiguous?

Did you not watch Episode 2? What do you think happened after the truck hit their car?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tiggum posted:

The ending of the American version of Life on Mars was terrible for that reason.

By design, I think. The show was canceled and I think they filmed an insane finale out of spite.

I loved all the weird retrofuture dystopia poo poo and think it’s extremely important to the themes of the story, namely personal isolation and lack of intimacy.

Basically everyone in the show is miserable and lonely, and the connections they do have are artificial and unfulfilling. In this setting, they literalize this by having the omnipresent advertising become a guy talking at you, or having a service where actors pretend to be your friend. It’s an efficient shorthand both for the crippling lack of human connection and the capitalist desperation of trying to stay afloat that affect everyone in the story. Nobody has any real friends and everyone’s job is terrible.

The technology speaks to similar aspects. It’s sci-fi tech, but the clunky design makes it totally unappealing. It’s not like Black Mirror where everything is a shiny Apple product, it’s all really off-putting from the outset...literally a barrier for communication, that barely works and/or makes life more difficult. If the tech wasn’t so janky, it might have felt less oppressive.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zachack posted:

Did you not watch Episode 2? What do you think happened after the truck hit their car?

I thought maybe that was a false memory. But if not, how did Emma stone survive that? How do we make sense of her episode two plans to go to salt lake?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I thought maybe that was a false memory. But if not, how did Emma stone survive that? How do we make sense of her episode two plans to go to salt lake?

People survive car accidents and she wanted to go visit her sister's grave c'mon this one's not that tricky

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
I viewed it as they never made it to Salt Lake City, so she was wanting to complete the trip in a tribute to her sister and an attempt to put the past behind her. But she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phlairdon posted:

I viewed it as they never made it to Salt Lake City, so she was wanting to complete the trip in a tribute to her sister and an attempt to put the past behind her. But she couldn't bring herself to do it.
I mean, she told her dad she was going to see her sister. I took that as meaning they buried her there because that's where she wanted to go but never could.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I feel like this show would be better if the leads had any chemistry... it hasnt gotten any better since Superbad.

Jonah had way better chemistry with Jemma than with Emma imo. Not even talking about the sexy kind of chemistry, though that would be nice too.

I like science lady a lot though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Wave posted:

I feel like this show would be better if the leads had any chemistry... it hasnt gotten any better since Superbad.

Jonah had way better chemistry with Jemma than with Emma imo. Not even talking about the sexy kind of chemistry, though that would be nice too.

I like science lady a lot though.

That did stand out to me that Jonah and Emma had literally zero chemistry whatsoever. The Doctors had a better love tale. I feel like she woulda been sick of Jonah's character halfway to Salt Lake City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hill is definitely the weakest part of the show. He and Stone have so little chemistry that it was difficult for me to tell whether their relationship was meant to be platonic or romantic.