Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wouldn't say he's the weakest. His character was incredibly complex between the personal story of his family and the battle with schizophrenia. Plus the whole gut wrenching twist that his parents hired a fake girl to love him messing up his grip on reality even further...

He definitely shouldn't have had a love angle with Emma Stone's character that was rewarded in the end. I don't see how her coming to grips with her sister's death leads her to falling in love with Jonah Hill's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doltos posted:

He definitely shouldn't have had a love angle with Emma Stone's character that was rewarded in the end. I don't see how her coming to grips with her sister's death leads her to falling in love with Jonah Hill's character.
Y'all keep saying love angle but the show explicitly said they're friends, not lovers, multiple times, including Stone outright rejecting and being grossed out by the friend-analog replacement for Hill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whalley posted:

Y'all keep saying love angle but the show explicitly said they're friends, not lovers, multiple times, including Stone outright rejecting and being grossed out by the friend-analog replacement for Hill.
Yeah, I don't know how the show could have been any clearer about this.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jonah Hill's characters could have all worn fedoras.

fedorahawk.jpg

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

What would be the point of that though? It would mean that instead of seeing their dreamworlds in the context of their real lives we'd been seeing them in the context of another dreamworld and we'd have no idea of who they were in reality or what any of it had meant for them.

Well on the other hand, what was the point of the red herring of them living out alternate lives and realities while living in a real world that is an alternate of our own? It's just hanging out there in front of us, and then it turns out it's just a design choice by the production team.

It does serve a function of holding a mirror up to our current society and showing how alienating modern life is by showing us a version that is the same but different. And a version we haven't been slowly drawn into over a period of 20 years. But in the context of the rest of the show it seems like plot point that would be followed up on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

Well on the other hand, what was the point of the red herring of them living out alternate lives and realities while living in a real world that is an alternate of our own? It's just hanging out there in front of us, and then it turns out it's just a design choice by the production team.

It does serve a function of holding a mirror up to our current society and showing how alienating modern life is by showing us a version that is the same but different. And a version we haven't been slowly drawn into over a period of 20 years. But in the context of the rest of the show it seems like plot point that would be followed up on.
It seems like you answered your own question? It's not a red herring, it's done to indirectly comment on aspects of the real world by altering them. It's kind of what science fiction is all about.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

It seems like you answered your own question? It's not a red herring, it's done to indirectly comment on aspects of the real world by altering them. It's kind of what science fiction is all about.

I get why they did it; it just took me out of it because the entire thing was about altered realities, and in a typical story like that there would be a twist that they are in some other level of reality. I was just expecting that and in a way it made me miss the real ending, because I thought a "real ending" was coming that never did.

It might have worked better without that. It wouldn't have been as visually striking, but it might have put more focus on the story.

Maybe some people got right from the beginning that the altered world they were in was allegorical and symbolic for the purpose of meta commentary on our world, but I was a bit slow on the draw on that I guess...I thought it was going to be part of the plot. I can't believe I'm the only one who thought that way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Their wires were literally crossed. They had no choice but to experience that poo poo with each other, and the downcast drippings of Dr. Mantleray. Owen was projecting a need for a greater purpose and Annie was infuriated by the idea of a greater purpose. Her sister was full of hope and died. Owen sees hope as collateral for catastrophe.

The other participants weren’t able to get past their issues because they only had computerized experiences. The entire aesthetic is dehumanizing, with payday-loan-store doxxing and IRL internet friends.

I think their interactions prior to the trial were important. They were always living in the same world.

Edit: sorry, I feel like I should have said “the delicious dr mantleray”

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Two things about the 80s episode that I liked: the payoff of the “bulletproof furs” joke, and the fur store being in the same strip mall as Crazy Eddie and Beefsteak Charlie

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit late to the party and I'm not going to repeat others, but holy poo poo does Sonoya Mizuno win some sort of award on posture alone. Between that and her chain-smoking, you just get the character from those two traits alone.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Whalley posted:

I like that they even broached the concept of platonic soul-mates. Whether real or circumstantial, it was refreshing to see the show not force them into a romance.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

tao of lmao posted:

I like that they even broached the concept of platonic soul-mates. Whether real or circumstantial, it was refreshing to see the show not force them into a romance.

They also leave the door open for romance as well--there's no direct awkward stating of "YES, IT IS GOOD THAT WE ARE NON SEXUAL FRIENDS" or anything like that. The viewer can choose to interpret their future as they wish.

For me, I'd say they are both some pretty damaged people relationshipwise, so they would be in no hurry to get sexual. And at the same time, they have quasi-memories of dozens of full lives together, so again no hurry to jump in. I imagine after awhile they'd eventually be more than friends. But again, it's up to the viewer. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

there's no direct awkward stating of "YES, IT IS GOOD THAT WE ARE NON SEXUAL FRIENDS" or anything like that.

There pretty much was though? I mean, sure, hypothetically that could change in the future. Anything can happen. But that's just you writing fanfiction.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Astroman posted:

They also leave the door open for romance as well--there's no direct awkward stating of "YES, IT IS GOOD THAT WE ARE NON SEXUAL FRIENDS" or anything like that. The viewer can choose to interpret their future as they wish.
The viewer can do whatever. The show said in exact words, in response to the idea of romance in the real world between Hill and Stone, "oh I guess I must have read into that wrong"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whalley posted:

The viewer can do whatever. The show said in exact words, in response to the idea of romance in the real world between Hill and Stone, "oh I guess I must have read into that wrong"

I read that as she was disgusted at the idea she had hired some guy to pretend to be Owen, and that Owen would probably not delare his love for her in that sort of forced way.

Is there some reason it would be so amazeballs if these two were just friendzoned forever? Is that some new ideal we should strive for in media and life?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Astroman posted:

I read that as she was disgusted at the idea she had hired some guy to pretend to be Owen, and that Owen would probably not delare his love for her in that sort of forced way.

Is there some reason it would be so amazeballs if these two were just friendzoned forever? Is that some new ideal we should strive for in media and life?

Absolutely. Normalize platonic friendships between men and women. gently caress that When Harry Met Sally bullshit. Let them be friends.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Astroman posted:

yeah, being friends kicks rear end. there's like no loving stories that show leading men and leading women as being capable of friendship and it makes people normalize the gross rear end in a top hat word "friendzone" as if being friends with someone was a somehow lacking end goal of getting to know someone whose genitals are a little easier to interact with

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Astroman posted:

Er, platonic relationships can be way more rewarding than romantic ones if it's between the right people. Not everything needs loving to be good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
loving or not I still don't understand why they're even friends in the first place. Emma Stone's character had her own journey to go on and she just happened to get cross-wired with the psychotic dude who thought she was a sleeper cell. Feels kind of pathetic, like she feels bad for Jonah Hill's character enough that she has to be friends with him.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Doltos posted:

loving or not I still don't understand why they're even friends in the first place. Emma Stone's character had her own journey to go on and she just happened to get cross-wired with the psychotic dude who thought she was a sleeper cell. Feels kind of pathetic, like she feels bad for Jonah Hill's character enough that she has to be friends with him.

I mean they shared countless of dreams and memories together. We only saw a small handful, but it was explicitly mentioned that they had way way more. And in each dream/memory they already “knew” each other in various ways. So imagine sharing so many intimate moments together over and over and over and over again and it makes sense. I thought even the last line was something like “do we really even know each other?” and now they get to find out.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
They implied that Annie is gay a couple of times, so that might put a downer on the romance angle.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean they shared countless of dreams and memories together. We only saw a small handful, but it was explicitly mentioned that they had way way more. And in each dream/memory they already “knew” each other in various ways. So imagine sharing so many intimate moments together over and over and over and over again and it makes sense. I thought even the last line was something like “do we really even know each other?” and now they get to find out.

That makes sense then I guess. Almost makes me wish there was a second season to this show just to figure out where they go once the 'fairy tale' is over.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The show kind of got less interesting towards the end. I didn't like the first episode with the fantasy narrative and mob family and when I saw it was crossing into the next episode I was even more disappointed. The initial setup of the doctors, test subjects, and experiments was so intriguing that once I got straightforward answers as to what everything was, I lost interest. The first four episodes were so great that even though the rest of the series was good, it couldn't recapture the magic of those episodes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I really liked this show, not sure why....man is it weird. Great acting. This wouldn't get a chance anywhere but Netflix.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

LifeLynx posted:

The show kind of got less interesting towards the end. I didn't like the first episode with the fantasy narrative and mob family and when I saw it was crossing into the next episode I was even more disappointed. The initial setup of the doctors, test subjects, and experiments was so intriguing that once I got straightforward answers as to what everything was, I lost interest. The first four episodes were so great that even though the rest of the series was good, it couldn't recapture the magic of those episodes.

I agree... This was a fun ride, but some of the dream episodes just weren't that interesting (Jonah Hill's cholo dream was real boring).

I don't say this about a lot of shows but I think it could have benefited from another month in the writer's room. Take this interesting narrative full of recurring images and themes, and actually give them some weight and meaning instead of just throwing them around all over the place. Things like rubik's cubes, don quixote, owls, opening safes, existing continents vs lost continents, and lots of other things that recur never really seem to hint towards anything. They just keep popping up for the sake of it. Sure that's what happens in a dream, but in such a heavily written and well-done show you'd expect at least one or two of these things to symbolize something. Because of this, the whole show feels like Just A Bunch Of Stuff That Happened while it also skirts very close toward Meaningful Allegory but never really gets there, which kind of bugs me.

This thought aside, I loved Maniac and have been recommending it to people. I can't reasonably fault it for NOT accomplishing something.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I enjoyed the story but absolutely loved the visuals. It's like that whole "every frame a painting" thing. You could pause it almost anywhere, print it, and hang it on your wall. What's the industry term for that? Visual aesthetic? Cinematography? Set design? What's it called when everything is so drat pretty?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Untrustable posted:

I enjoyed the story but absolutely loved the visuals. It's like that whole "every frame a painting" thing. You could pause it almost anywhere, print it, and hang it on your wall. What's the industry term for that? Visual aesthetic? Cinematography? Set design? What's it called when everything is so drat pretty?

Mise-en-scčne.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

Mise-en-scène has been called film criticism's "grand undefined term".

Makes sense. Thanks for teaching me a thing!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Untrustable posted:

Makes sense. Thanks for teaching me a thing!

I knew that film studies degree would come in handy one day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Doltos posted:

That makes sense then I guess. Almost makes me wish there was a second season to this show just to figure out where they go once the 'fairy tale' is over.

There isn’t a S2? Oh :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

"Gas up the Miata"

I don't know why this line made me laugh so hard.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Miatas are funny cars.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Doltos posted:

This is kind of my take on it. As soon as their connections got soldered together (which I had to go back and verify were numbered 1 and 9 despite being all out of order) I figured this was the crux of the show that all further understanding would hinge upon. Had I missed that detail though, even with the heavy-handed but somehow easy to miss if you blinked exposition, I probably would have been lost.

When episode 9 ended I was looking forward to an even more intense denouement in episode 10 that really didn't materialize. I can understand they'd want to maintain some sort of friendship after an ordeal like that, but breaking a schizo from a mental ward after meeting him in a drug trial seems entirely too rash and impulsive for me get on board with.

Also I was not expecting Hank Azaria to pop up in the last episode. His dynamic with Annie reminded me of Marc Maron's dynamic with Justine on GLOW for some reason, but his inclusion seemed more extraneous and weird to me than if it had been literally anyone else without his accolades.

I've yet to see any comparisons drawn to Wes Anderson in this thread but right from the get-go I was seeing it through a Blade Runner meets Life Aquatic lens that I couldn't shake, and later on in the elevator scene when the door opened up on the older woman's blood-soaked reverse-gravity nightmare I saw some of the psychological aspects in retrospect through a kind of Kubrick prism.

On that note, I was a huge fan of how the depth of field would shift slightly every time the focal point changed in a shot. I'm not a camera geek or anything but I know enough to know you NEVER see that anymore. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that they were using period correct film equipment to give it that 80s feel, which really paid off for me for something so relatively inconsequential.

All things considered, sometimes I wonder why I'm paying $10/month for Netflix when I go for weeks or months without really watching it. Then they drop something awesome like this and I go "oh yeah, that's why.

I'm a little upset with myself that I watched it 100% sober with no weed involved tho cuz drat.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 15, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

'twas a very good weed show

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Started watching yesterday, trying to puzzle out the story has been a trip. I am on ep 5. Got to say I don't care about the Azumi actress. I am not getting anything out of her.

I don't like the completely fantasy episode like the lemur. Feels like a throw away side quest in an Assassin's Creed game. I hope I am wrong.

My favorite thing is the setting. 80s steampunk? Not sure what to call it.

tino fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 13, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think it’s CRT punk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't know if I made this term up or heard it somewhere, but I call this kind of thing "future past". Like, the aesthetic of a historical period but with advanced technology.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
According to my Lexitron 600, the hip lingo for it is "retro-futurism."

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The show started strong but kinda flopped at the end.

I hope more shows don't have cell phones or LCD Monitors, both ruin sci-fi somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ynohtna posted:

According to my Lexitron 600, the hip lingo for it is "retro-futurism."

It's this.

Though, "cyberpunk" basically is "80's retro-futurism" at this point. Scifi futurist poo poo now seems to all look like Black Mirror, with monolithic glass and steel and holograms everywhere.