Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Best to just stay off YouTube altogether if you’ve watched anything Life is Strange related recently because you’ll start seeing spoilerific upload titles like SEAN MAKES OUT WITH RACHEL AMBER’S GHOST show up on your recommended feed.

She's still a deer though, it's really awkward.

Seriously though it's kind of cool that the journal is more of a sketchbook this time around, Sean seems to draw a lot of furry art though (not really a spoiler but tagged just in case since the game's still not officially out yet).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Annoyed that Steam's not allowing preloading this time around. I wanted to be able to start playing soon as I got home from work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

16 hours left (as far as the PS4 version goes anyway) but I went ahead and started watching the current Geek Remix playthrough out of curiosity (I don't think I've gone into a single LiS episode blind so far), game seems pretty good but it's also even sparser than BtS in terms of NPCs to interact with (besides Daniel of course), I imagine this will get better once we start reaching more populated areas though.

Also I can confirm that the thing about your choices from the original Life is Strange and Captain Spirit carrying over to this, there's apparently brief questionnaire right at the beginning.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 26, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Larryb posted:

it's kind of cool that the journal is more of a sketchbook this time around, Sean seems to draw a lot of furry art though

Oh so that's the gimmick of the season, huh?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh so that's the gimmick of the season, huh?

Nope barely mentioned at all. The real plot is on Sean and Daniel's journey and the powers the latter seems to have developed. The photo/graffiti aspect this time around appears to be collecting souvenirs which you can stick onto your backpack and occasionally sitting down and drawing sketches of what's around you. So far the only nod to the original is one scene near the end where you're standing on a street in Oregon and can see Arcadia Bay in the distance, which depending on your ending choice from the original may or may not still be standing and it gets mentioned briefly in a conversation.

As for Captain Spirit, Power Bear makes a few cameos and Daniel mentions playing Mustard Party at one point. I expect that the more explicit references (as well as the return of Chris) won't come until Episode 2.

Fair warning, this game will hurt (about on the level of Chloe's breakdown in BtS Episode 1 I would say, maybe a little more so), but this is Life is Strange so you're probably used to emotional gut punches by now. Regardless though, after watching a playthrough I'm pretty much fully on board with this and look forward to playing it for myself in a few hours.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 26, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wish the pre-order bonus was cooler than backpack patches...

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Yeah, I didn't really enjoy that.

I don't like either of the main characters and the story was frankly a bit poo poo. Not looking forward to the next episode at all.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's out.

a bitchin jetski posted:

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy that.

I don't like either of the main characters and the story was frankly a bit poo poo. Not looking forward to the next episode at all.

What parts of the story didn't you care for? Also if the past is any indication most LiS games don't really start to get going until the second episode or so.

At any rate, I thought some aspects seemed a little rushed and there's not really a sense of mystery so far (aside from Daniel's powers that is) but it was an alright start. Also, be sure to read all the texts as that's where a good chunk of the backstory/character information is (weirdly there's no character bios in the journal like there was in the last two games though).

Sean's going to need to grow on me (he's like a male version of Max who's slightly more assertive but also a bit less charming) a bit but Daniel seems ok. Lyla and Brody were good though and I hope we see them again (by the way, be sure to go out onto the balcony and call Lyla when you're staying at the motel near the end there's a really good scene there). The sketchbook journal was a neat idea and I like that there's actually a bit of resource management this time around (your phone can die, you have limited funds, etc). The first episode had even less NPCs to interact with than BtS did but that could change as things progress. Overall this certainly has potential.

Next time: Daniel learns the ways of the Force and (presumably) Captain Spirit enters the picture.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I literally just started the game up. I didn't get any kind of option to import my save from the first game, but one of the first things the game does is ask you if you've played through LiS1 and if so if you sacrificed Arcadia Bay or not. So so far it looks like it doesn't need your save at all either way, but that one decision is all it cares about

edit: I'm missing those Deck9 face animations already :(

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 26, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Macaluso posted:

So I literally just started the game up. I didn't get any kind of option to import my save from the first game, but one of the first things the game does is ask you if you've played through LiS1 and if so if you sacrificed Arcadia Bay or not. So so far it looks like it doesn't need your save at all either way, but that one decision is all it cares about

I think that's the only decision you made in the game that could possibly chronologically carry over to LiS 2 in the first place, so that makes sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

edit: I'm missing those Deck9 face animations already :(

Not sure if there will be more as things go on but as far as this one goes the only LiS callback is a scene near the very end (some of the achievements hint that there might be more in the next episode though).

But yeah, the facial animations are a step down from BtS but still better than the original at the very least.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For those who are curious, the game is currently hovering around low 80s on metacritic. Im getting excited to play it later when I get home from work!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't quite understand the drawing thing. Is there a pattern you're supposed to do with the mouse when you're actually holding down the mouse button? The arrows seemed to indicate it wanted me to go in a clockwise pattern but it didn't feel like it always worked. That seemed confusing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paul Zuvella posted:

For those who are curious, the game is currently hovering around low 80s on metacritic. Im getting excited to play it later when I get home from work!

That's pretty typical for where most Life is Strange episodes rank. Reviewers on these games always seem to oscillate between the superfans and utterly confused dudes who don't understand LiS at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I don't quite understand the drawing thing. Is there a pattern you're supposed to do with the mouse when you're actually holding down the mouse button? The arrows seemed to indicate it wanted me to go in a clockwise pattern but it didn't feel like it always worked. That seemed confusing

Pretty sure you just rotate the mouse/control stick until the drawing appears, that's how it works on the console version anyway.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay decorating the backpack is a neat little thing since you're gonna be looking at Sean's back the entire game.

Also I would've TOTALLY hit the like button on Jenn's facebook pic if I had known what's what <3 meant!! I thought it meant typing "<3" Instead of hitting the like button. C'mon game!! I'm not gonna type "<3" as a comment, I have SOME dignity!

Also it feels good to play a Life is Strange game again. These games have such a unique feeling to them that's hard to replicate and I can't really put my finger on what it is. Besides taking place in my dream part of the country (Pacific Northwest), whereas I live in the garbage hell state that is Florida

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I went left instead of right during a part of the trail and now it appears you're locked into that one path and you can't go back once you cross over the fallen tree. I really hope you can't get easily locked out of collectables :/

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 26, 2018

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Larryb posted:

What parts of the story didn't you care for? Also if the past is any indication most LiS games don't really start to get going until the second episode or so.

It's just not very well written and some of it is a bit cringe-inducing.

The whole bit with the father getting shot was just silly and contrived.

There's multiple out-of-nowhere references to Trumps wall and illegal immigration that feel shoe-horned in to prove the devs right-on credentials. The career protester blogger being pretty much the only "good" white person you meet feels like a self-insert by the devs.

The bit with the store owner where he just randomly accuses you of stealing, knocks you out and then zip ties you to a pipe was just bizarre. I actually said "Wait, what?" out loud to my empty house when it happened. Also, it kind of highlights that the choices you make might not matter that much. I didn't shoplift anything and it still happened. Same with the dog. i said no to taking him with us and we still ended up with the dog.

It all just feels like the devs completely missed the mark on what made the first season good and they've gone off on this bizarre tangent. Maybe it makes more sense if you live in the States at the moment or something but it is extremely loving weird if you don't.

The best part was the very beginning where you are going around the house and just learning backstory. The rest, not so much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I went left instead of right during a part of the trail and now it appears you're locked into that one path and you can't go back once you cross over the fallen tree. I really hope you can't get easily locked out of collectables :/

I haven't gone back and checked but hopefully there's a Collector's Mode like in the previous games so you can easily go back and pick up stuff you missed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sean: "What are we gonna eat tomorrow? We're almost broke..."
Me, out loud IRL: *checks inventory* Broke?? We have thirty bucks!

:v:

edit: ALMOST SIX BUCKS FOR SLICED BREAD? 4.50 for mac n cheese? Get the gently caress out of here

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anybody's gotten this far yet how does the scene with Sean and Brody looking down at Arcadia Bay in the distance play out of you said you didn't sacrifice the town at the beginning (if you did, Sean will compare his current state to the town and at the end of the scene you see a plaque honoring the victims of the 2013 storm)?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The music during the end of that scene at least for me (I picked to have the town destroyed) was the LiS1 like... main theme or whatever. So that was a nice touch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's possible we might get some more Season 1 references in the next episode as some of the achievements (and the icons attached to them) seem to allude to our 3 main girls.

Whether or not we'll actually see any familiar faces remains to be seen but we at least know that Chris is coming back in some capacity and if the datamine is accurate then Ashly Burch, Hannah Telle, and Carlos Luna (Warren) may be coming back to do some voiceover bits even if their characters don't physically appear. Though that said I wouldn't mind some LiS alumni coming back to play new characters at least (to my knowledge so far we've just got the BtS actor for Frank voicing Chris' dad).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

It's possible we might get some more Season 1 references in the next episode as some of the achievements (and the icons attached to them) seem to allude to our 3 main girls.

Whether or not we'll actually see any familiar faces remains to be seen but we at least know that Chris is coming back in some capacity and if the datamine is accurate then Ashly Burch, Hannah Telle, and Carlos Luna (Warren) may be coming back to do some voiceover bits even if their characters don't physically appear. Though that said I wouldn't mind some LiS alumni coming back to play new characters at least (to my knowledge so far we've just got the BtS actor for Frank voicing Chris' dad).

I'm curious what this will entail because you absolutely drive several hours away from Arcadia Bay (well the former Arcadia Bay in my case). I mean it's possible you'll run into Max and Chloe on the road, which would be a fun little thing, but I don't know how you'd fit in Warren into either one. Also related to characters, I really hope we see Lyla again in some fashion, she seems like too interesting of a character to just abandon.

I liked it, it felt very "at home" to be playing a new Life is Strange. I wouldn't say Sean and Daniel are quite as interesting and Chloe, I do like the interactions between the two of them. It does actually feel like your actions are having an impact on Daniel Seeing you steal basically gives Daniel reasoning to steal from Brody later

Alsop the after credits bit has me very excited. I'm glad that they're gonna have Sean try to get Daniel to learn and practice his powers, instead of just having it be this weird magical thing Daniel can do but they don't understand it.

a bitchin jetski posted:

- snip -

I really only sort of agree with the Brody party of this post. And I suppose the part with the story owner was a little over the top, but the first spoiler in your post, my god nothing about that felt silly or contrived. That whole thing felt TOO real. Like their particular struggle felt very true to life, ESPECIALLY nowadays.

I do wonder how the road trip angle is gonna play out though, as far as supporting cast goes.

a bitchin jetski posted:

Maybe it makes more sense if you live in the States at the moment or something but it is extremely loving weird if you don't.

This is definitely possible. I live in the US so their particular struggled resonated with me because we see it a lot and we're seeing it even more than ever now

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm curious what this will entail because you absolutely drive several hours away from Arcadia Bay (well the former Arcadia Bay in my case). I mean it's possible you'll run into Max and Chloe on the road, which would be a fun little thing, but I don't know how you'd fit in Warren into either one. Also related to characters, I really hope we see Lyla again in some fashion, she seems like too interesting of a character to just abandon.

Based on the datamine it seems to be a voice only cameo from Max and Chloe or Max and Warren depending on your ending choice. It might possibly just be a recorded message you find somewhere or something. And yeah, Lyla is probably my favorite new character so far and it would be a shame if she just got dropped after this episode.

I too look forward to seeing Daniel's Jedi training next episode (and based on the snow on the ground I'm betting this is where things tie back into Captain Spirit as well).

I am sort of curious if the boys will actually make it all the way to Mexico though, and the fact that this story apparently takes influence from Of Mice and Men and the movie Into The Wild kind of makes me worried what's going to happen with Daniel by the end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also Daniel shows off some hidden powers in the forest:

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Macaluso posted:

Also Daniel shows off some hidden powers in the forest:

In a similar vein, my game crashed to the PS4 home menu during the shooting scene.

That has literally never happened to me before and i didn't know it was a thing that could happen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mine crashed in the gas station. And Daniel also exhibited those powers in the woods for me, too.

I noticed that what seemed to be Warren's car was in the parking lot of the motel (I saved the bay in my playthrough), but it was dark and I forget to take a screenshot. I didn't overhear anything and there was no credits for Max, Warren or Chloe, so I don't know if that was the cameo (unless the couple having a 'fight' was supposed to be Max and Warren, which I have no truck with, since my Max was Hella Chloesexual, even as she had to sacrifice her for the good of the town. Brody talks about how he came from a family that was wealthy but not caring, so part of me wonders if he's a prodigal Prescott. While his last name is I think Holloway in the credits, I think it's possible that he took his mother's (who he clearly stills cares about) maiden name to sever ties. God knows I would. As soon as I saw the lighthouse (and the suspiciously unspecific location subtitles) I knew where Brody had pulled over. He talks about how some 'strangers' saved his life, and how (and he gestures at the town when he does it) that the past should be the past, and then gestures to Daniel and Mushroom in the car as 'the future'. Which is both a nice symbolic moment and adds fuel to my 'Brody's a penitent Prescott' theory. Assuming he'd be Nathan's brother, along with his sister Kirsten who seemed nice in that one email, I guess that would mean that 2/3 of the Prescott children actually turned out not to be shitheads (hell, even Nathan had some redeeming qualities and mitigating circumstances). So I guess they're up on the Trumps.

I kind of wonder, though - why would Max And [Chloe/Warren] (delete as appropriate) be at a motel? I wonder if Max was actually heading up to Seattle (her parents presumably still live there), perhaps to visit them - or investigate the incident. And of course, she'd be right there at the motel when Daniel's powers activated. I wonder if she might actually play a significant role in the series - maybe trying to find Sean and Daniel.

a bitchin jetski posted:

The whole bit with the father getting shot was just silly and contrived.

There's multiple out-of-nowhere references to Trumps wall and illegal immigration that feel shoe-horned in to prove the devs right-on credentials. The career protester blogger being pretty much the only "good" white person you meet feels like a self-insert by the devs.

The bit with the store owner where he just randomly accuses you of stealing, knocks you out and then zip ties you to a pipe was just bizarre. I actually said "Wait, what?" out loud to my empty house when it happened. Also, it kind of highlights that the choices you make might not matter that much. I didn't shoplift anything and it still happened. Same with the dog. i said no to taking him with us and we still ended up with the dog.

It all just feels like the devs completely missed the mark on what made the first season good and they've gone off on this bizarre tangent. Maybe it makes more sense if you live in the States at the moment or something but it is extremely loving weird if you don't.

The best part was the very beginning where you are going around the house and just learning backstory. The rest, not so much.

I'll be honest, as a non-American, all of that stuff rings true to me. The store owner made up the accusations of theft because he recognised Sean and Daniel from the paper and wanted an excuse to detain them. Plus he was a racist fuckhead and probably assumed they're thieves anyway. And just this once he had a societally-approved (or at least in his mind, a societally-approved) excuse to do something about it, between the politcial climate (this was around the time Trump coined 'bad hombres') and that Sean was suspected of killing a cop. And Daniel taking the dog makes sense, too - he wanted it, even when Sean said no, and the store owners were bad people, so he's 'saving' her. So Sean's choices do matter. But he can't control the actions of others, any more than Max could. And lovely cops getting jumpy and shooting innocent people for failing the paper bag test isn't exactly uncommon. I feel a game set in America, at a the time when Trumpism was in its ascendancy, starring Hispanic leads, has the right to address controversial elements in American society. Video games are art. All art is political.

Also, kind of bummed that David Lynch hung out with Gas Station Racists.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 27, 2018

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll be honest, as a non-American, all of that stuff rings true to me. The store owner made up the accusations of theft because he recognised Sean and Daniel from the paper and wanted an excuse to detain them. Plus he was a racist fuckhead and probably assumed they're thieves anyway. And just this once he had a societally-approved (or at least in his mind, a societally-approved) excuse to do something about it, between the politcial climate (this was around the time Trump coined 'bad hombres') and that Sean was suspected of killing a cop. And Daniel taking the dog makes sense, too - he wanted it, even when Sean said no, and the store owners were bad people, so he's 'saving' her. So Sean's choices do matter. But he can't control the actions of others, any more than Max could. And lovely cops getting jumpy and shooting innocent people for failing the paper bag test isn't exactly uncommon. I feel a game set in America, at a the time when Trumpism was in its ascendancy, starring Hispanic leads, has the right to address controversial elements in American society. Video games are art. All art is political.

Also, kind of bummed that David Lynch hung out with Gas Station Racists.

To me the entire thing smacked of "this thing happened because we needed it to happen for more story to happen".

Basically, The Walking Dead tv show. None of it makes sense under even the slightest scrutiny but stuff is happening so lets keep going.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

a bitchin jetski posted:

None of it makes sense under even the slightest scrutiny but stuff is happening so lets keep going.

I don't agree with this at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I sort of doubt that any Season 1 characters are going to be that important to the story if they show up at all but you never know.

I also wonder if Daniel's newfound psychic abilities are going to be explained or of it'll be like Max's power where it's important to the story but we never actually learn how or why he got it.

Oh, and since someone was curious about it earlier there is indeed a Collector Mode in this game so no worries if you missed something (you can find it by selecting "Play Episode" on the main menu).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 27, 2018

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Last of Us shout out in the woods was great Sean does a way better clicker impression than I can. Makes sense the devs would be fans. Speaking if "yeah, that makes sense," I noticed Steve Gaynor of Gone Home fame had an additional writing credit at the end.

Was kind of sad to see Brody's last name listed as Holloway. When he said his family had "money but no soul" I was hoping he'd be like Victoria's weird older brother or the black sheep of the Prescott clan.

I think This screenshot I took is going to temporarily replace Chloe getting high while dressed like a raven as my desktop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

The Last of Us shout out in the woods was great Sean does a way better clicker impression than I can. Makes sense the devs would be fans. Speaking if "yeah, that makes sense," I noticed Steve Gaynor of Gone Home fame had an additional writing credit at the end.

I think I might have missed that one, where is it and/or what choices do you have to make to get it?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just triggered randomly on the way to the river as we walked past a tree with a weird mushroom growing on it. Daniel says "Eww, it looks like a clicker!" Sean then does a pretty spot on impression and a slightly freaked out Daniel tells him to stop it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's not really random. It's a very obvious mushroom growth on a tree, and it look very obviously different from the other mushrooms around the area and it's called something like "strange mushroom". If you interact with it Daniel will be like eww gross what is that and then Sean does a TLOU clicker impression

It's like right at the entrance of the lake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wowser, that episode was really good! I have a lot to reflect upon, but I think this was the strongest opening episode to a Life is Strange game I've played yet. I always admire the willingness of this series to just kinda "go there" and I'm happy that they went there with two Hispanic male leads. It also felt really long, but apparently my total playtime was only a little over 3 hours. I'm totally down with season two!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It's not really random. It's a very obvious mushroom growth on a tree, and it look very obviously different from the other mushrooms around the area and it's called something like "strange mushroom". If you interact with it Daniel will be like eww gross what is that and then Sean does a TLOU clicker impression

It's like right at the entrance of the lake

Huh, neat. I've also now seen the Sacrifice Chloe version of the Arcadia Bay scene. All that changes is that the town is intact, Sean calls the town boring and the plaque at the end now says "Welcome to Arcadia Bay" along with some photos of the town. Nothing too terribly interesting.

But yeah, the game's good so far. Sean and Daniel's dynamic is cute and I like how it manages to be a completely different beast from its predecessors while at the same time retaining some of the standard LiS charm. Having your partner be the one with the powers is an interesting twist (though I suppose you could make a case for Rachel in BtS but if she did have something then I don't think even she was ever aware of it).

Not entirely sure where the story is going at this point aside from the fact that the boys are on their way to Mexico and next episode seems to be about getting a handle on Daniel's new powers (and most likely meeting up with Chris in the process) but I like what I see so far (I agree it probably has one of the strongest starts of any Life is Strange game, let's just hope they can give it a good ending too).

Speaking of which, I'm curious if we're ever going to get a few permanent side characters in this or if it's going to be more like a revolving door, with new characters showing up in each episode and then leaving after their role is done.

It is sort of odd that they ditched the character bios in the journal and there isn't really a specific gameplay gimmick this time around (aside from the drawing mechanic and the Daniel-specific interactions I guess). But in regards to the second point it's still possible they may add in some new mechanic later on (like maybe some sections where we switch control over to Daniel in order to solve a puzzle).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 27, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just was able to play through the opening part, but holy poo poo I'm all in on this season. That was on the level of any of the emotional highs in Season 1. Wasn't sure how I would feel about leaving Max and Chloe for new characters, but I'm fully behind the Diaz boys now.

Some observations from the opening:

-Lyla owns. It would be nice to have an option for her and Sean to be a couple by the end, but their friendship is very sweet and genuine so I'm fine either way.
-Daniel's little eyebrow wagging while trying to convince Sean to give him the chocolate bar was great.
-Really liked the dynamic between Sean and his father. Made the end of opening part even tougher...
-Daniel having a crush on Lyla is super adorable, and it was heartbreaking when Sean told him she was cheating on him. The angry peek out the door when Sean turned away made me laugh out loud.
-The little things you could do in Sean's room was cool. Liked being able to sketch (even though I wish the instructions were a bit more clear), and him singing along with the music was a neat touch. Fooling around with stuff while talking with Lyla was also neat, and I was surprised when she actually reacted to what I was doing and asked to see the doodle.
-Again, holy poo poo, the ending of the opening scene. Made me pretty uncomfortable with how realistic it was portrayed.

I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PunkBoy posted:

I just was able to play through the opening part, but holy poo poo I'm all in on this season. That was on the level of any of the emotional highs in Season 1. Wasn't sure how I would feel about leaving Max and Chloe for new characters, but I'm fully behind the Diaz boys now.

Some observations from the opening:

-Lyla owns. It would be nice to have an option for her and Sean to be a couple by the end, but their friendship is very sweet and genuine so I'm fine either way.
-Daniel's little eyebrow wagging while trying to convince Sean to give him the chocolate bar was great.
-Really liked the dynamic between Sean and his father. Made the end of opening part even tougher...
-Daniel having a crush on Lyla is super adorable, and it was heartbreaking when Sean told him she was cheating on him. The angry peek out the door when Sean turned away made me laugh out loud.
-The little things you could do in Sean's room was cool. Liked being able to sketch (even though I wish the instructions were a bit more clear), and him singing along with the music was a neat touch. Fooling around with stuff while talking with Lyla was also neat, and I was surprised when she actually reacted to what I was doing and asked to see the doodle.
-Again, holy poo poo, the ending of the opening scene. Made me pretty uncomfortable with how realistic it was portrayed.

I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

I was kinda getting burnt out so I was definitely happy with new characters

-I like Daniel a lot more than Sean right now but it's still early so maybe it's not player character syndrome yet
-To Sean's credit he does pull off the right mix of rear end in a top hat and sweet that I'd expect from an older sibling
-Lyla is super cool and I hope we see more of her ,didn't call her and I still feel bad :(
-Ok so 100% powers are activated by emotions, the question is it just negative ones? Could you be really happy and get them?

I feel like a lot of people don't understand How quickly cops shoot people in the US, like if you're not from here know that it's a goddamn miracle Sean didn't just get popped right away.

Larryb posted:

Based on the first description it almost sounds like Max is constantly shifting back between universes (which may imply that her powers might be growing out of her control) which could be really interesting to explore if handled right.

The 1st issue cover seems to back you up as Max is by herself in the reflection. I've always liked the oh man I'm hopping back and forth between the two endings when I saw it in fanfaction so I'm hype.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And they're releaseing an annotated guide to Blackwell Academy.

I will let the thread know if it's any good remind me when it comes out. So the comic is doing issues with the trade coming out in April then?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I have my crying tissues and my convoluted strawman arguments in defense of my plot interpretation lined up and ready.

I'm ready :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I was kinda getting burnt out so I was definitely happy with new characters

-I like Daniel a lot more than Sean right now but it's still early so maybe it's not player character syndrome yet
-To Sean's credit he does pull off the right mix of rear end in a top hat and sweet that I'd expect from an older sibling
-Lyla is super cool and I hope we see more of her ,didn't call her and I still feel bad :(
-Ok so 100% powers are activated by emotions, the question is it just negative ones? Could you be really happy and get them?

You should have, it's one of the better scenes in the game. I am sort of curious if we're ever going to get an explanation on where all these weird powers are coming from and why they keep getting granted to random kids during traumatic moments (Max can rewind time and jump through photos, Daniel has psychokinesis, as well as some borderline cases like Rachel possibly being an Airbender, Samuel having some kind of foresight and even Chloe might have some limited form of precognition through her dreams).

And yeah, as I understand it the comic is 4 issues with the first coming out this November, the entire thing will later be collected together in one big paperback collection in April. As I've said before, I'd actually like to see this get turned into a full fledged monthly series as I think there's a lot of stories you could tell in this universe that might not necessarily work that well as a game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 27, 2018