Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

It somehow didn't click for me right away that the game opens during the 2016 presidential election. It wasn't until I started trawling through Sean's old texts that it hit me. Some of those messages were quite depressing. :(

As for the sketch gimmick thing it took me a frustratingly long time to figure out how to do the "move the mouse to draw" part. I ended up having to shake the gently caress out of my mouse to get it to complete and sometimes i'd accidentally hit the right mouse button and cancel the whole thing. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I normally play Life is Strange with kb+m but I whipped out the controller for this one just because it's so much easier to shake the left stick around to draw.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I seem to be missing some souvenirs (I already got 100% completion in the previous 3 games so I figured I'd just get an early start on this one). Where are the ones for the truck and footprints?

Also, there are only 3 drawing spots in Episode 1 right (4 if the sketch of Lyla counts)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 27, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The drawing mechanic is complete poo poo.

Holding your mouse button down and waving your mouse back and forth for long periods of time while a picture is slowly drawn is fun to absolutely no one. Unless they patch this to speed the drawing up by about 1000%, I will never do it again. I didn't even finish the first one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

The drawing mechanic is complete poo poo.

Holding your mouse button down and waving your mouse back and forth for long periods of time while a picture is slowly drawn is fun to absolutely no one. Unless they patch this to speed the drawing up by about 1000%, I will never do it again. I didn't even finish the first one.

To be fair, it's much easier with a controller (which I think the PC version supports) as there all you have to do is rotate the left stick.

Off the subject but they seem to be trying to make Power Bear into the next Hawt Dawg Man (though he's still there too), which I'm fine with. LiS 2 also seems to prove that Hawt Dawg Man is a worldwide phenomenon in this universe rather than just a local Oregon thing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SirKibbles posted:

I feel like a lot of people don't understand How quickly cops shoot people in the US, like if you're not from here know that it's a goddamn miracle Sean didn't just get popped right away.

This is complete nonsense. You think it's true because every police shooting makes it to the nationwide press and you hear about it. Shooting of an unarmed person just standing there is a freak occurrence, along the lines of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

This is why we don't need lovely politics injected into this game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Agreed, they should stick with things that are within the realm of possibility, like spontaneously gaining time travel or telekinetic powers

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't think police actually exist, despite the best efforts of the mainstream media to convince me otherwise

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is complete nonsense. You think it's true because every police shooting makes it to the nationwide press and you hear about it. Shooting of an unarmed person just standing there is a freak occurrence, along the lines of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

Seems to me like the cop was freaking out and the gun went off by accident. Besides, it's not like Life is Strange is any stranger to trying to tackle complex social issues so this all seems like par for the course to me (also a reminder that this is a series where children are spontaneously granted superpowers and ghosts literally exist).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Don't feed the troll.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is the worst post in SA history, and I’ve made several posts about hating Breath of the Wild

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Episode 1, and I'm hoping the sales are good so we get more games like this, especially with the collapse of Telltale games.

I'm concerned, though, as episode 1 was slow as hell. You spend the first hour of the game wandering through Sean's house listening to him being a whiny little pussy, then 1 minute of excitement, then spend an hour walking through woods picking up berries and rocks and sticks while Daniel complains.

I understand that not all stories are designed to start strong, and they wanted to establish a back story and to emphasize the fact that Sean and Daniel are on their own with no plan and no resources, and I know that Sean will experience a lot of character development. But a lot of people watch Let's Plays on youtube to see if they want to buy a game, and I don't think the beginning of this one is going to bring many new people in.

Season 1 started much stronger, with Max discovering her time travel power in the first 15 minutes, and with far less berry picking.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orange Sunshine posted:

There were 16 lightning strike fatalities in the US in 2017, there were 68 unarmed people and a further 26 people with toy weapons murdered by police the same year.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

This is the worst post in SA history, and I’ve made several posts about hating Breath of the Wild

Don't be silly, that wasn't even the worst post I've made today.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
lmao even rich, white people make comments about policemen shooting the gently caress out of everyone nowadays

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tired Moritz posted:

lmao even rich, white people make comments about policemen shooting the gently caress out of everyone nowadays

Of course they do, because the media tells them they are supposed to think this. Do you really think that police officers are worse today than they've been throughout the rest of history?

“Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.”

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
'Cops have always been violent, racist killers, it's so unrealistic that they're depicted this way though!'

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Of course they do, because the media tells them they are supposed to think this. Do you really think that police officers are worse today than they've been throughout the rest of history?

“Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.”

I don't think that quote means what you think it means

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Getting off that tangent, anyone know where the second to last souvenir in Episode 1 is (the stick with the pawprints near it)? I assume it has something to do with playing fetch with Mushroom but I'm not sure about the specifics of what you need to do.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 27, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Getting off that tangent, anyone know where the second to last souvenir in Episode 1 is (the stick with the pawprints near it)? I assume it has something to do with playing fetch with Mushroom but I'm not sure about the specifics of what you need to do.

If you throw the stick into the weeds Mushroom comes back with a shark-tooth necklace wrapped around the stick.

Annoyingly, when my game crashed at the gas station, I was unable to pick up the souvenirs I'd already found in the area in question, but they weren't in my backpack. Kind of an annoying bug.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you throw the stick into the weeds Mushroom comes back with a shark-tooth necklace wrapped around the stick.

Annoyingly, when my game crashed at the gas station, I was unable to pick up the souvenirs I'd already found in the area in question, but they weren't in my backpack. Kind of an annoying bug.

Thanks. Though just so you know there is a Collector Mode like in the previous games where you can pick up any stuff you missed (unless the game still records you as having picked it up despite it not actually being in yor inventory, in which case I'm not sure what you can do beyond restarting), you can find it by selecting "Play Episode" on the main menu.

Also I'm kind of curious if we're ever going to get a chance to play as Daniel for a few sections and actually get to try out his new power. I could see them putting in some puzzles involving moving objects around in order to progress.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 27, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have a lot of thoughts, but as im not really dont with the first episode yet I will hold on to my larger analysis but I think this game is extremely weak in a lot of regards so far. Pretty disappointed, far more than I was with before the storm.

The one thing I will say is that the game controls extremely worse than LiS1. Sean whips around really weird when you walk, controls like a tank and moves awkwardly. The weird motion blur when you turn is horrible

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding LIS 2 Episode 1:

The newspaper that you see at the gas station says that Sean and Daniel are suspects in the death of the cop.

This doesn't make any sense. You have what looks to be a large explosion which went off somehow (mysteriously, as they won't find any explosive residue), there's a house partially blown up and the police car is upside down, with the cop clearly dead from the explosion. And the two kids are missing.

They would certainly be looking for the kids, but as witnesses, not as suspects. It's entirely silly to think that the 9 year old would be a suspect, and a 16 year old didn't build and set off a mysterious unknown bomb. They would assume there was some other adult involved who set off the explosion and ran off with the kids. Or that the father set off the explosion somehow before he died.

Really, the best thing for Sean to have done would have been to sit right where he was. The police would have shown up to find the aftermath of what appears to be an explosion, and nobody would have suspected them of anything.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 27, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The neighbour Sean gets in a fight with lived.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The neighbour Sean gets in a fight with lived.

I assume this is true as well, as we have no evidence that he died. This doesn't change anything, though.

"The kid next door got paint on me and I was mad, then his rear end in a top hat brother came out and started hitting me! Now, what's this about a shooting and an explosion?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, ironically if they hadn't run they probably could have settled things out right there (well aside from having to explain away Daniel inadvertently killing that cop with his new mind powers that is)

Out of curiosity, has DontNod mentioned anything regarding what the episode release schedule this time around is going to be like yet (that is, is it at all likely that we might see Episode 2 before next year)?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So.

There are a lot of problems with this game, a lot of really bad problems that I don't think are really going to get better, but they might. I'm already in for a pound on this season so Im going to have to see them through regardless.

Thoughts are going to be spoilered from now on.

Lets just start off with pacing and the amount of content. You get for your buck. Lets go over what happens in LiS1 episode 1.

Max has a dream that introduces the storm.
We are introduced to Max, Mr, Jefferson, Kate, and Victoria in the class. Mr. Jefferson is established as the cool/hip/hot teacher everyone loves.
Max walks down the hall, we learn about her classmates. All of them.
Learn that Rachel Amber is Missing
Bathroom. Nathan introduced, as is Chloe, then time travel.
We learn how time travel works, Max freaks out and fucks around with it, saves Chloe.

Then we learn about David, how much he sucks. And how the Principle is a poo poo.
Learn more about Max's Classmates, and establish Warren.

Then we do more time fuckery, learn about Samuel and how weird he is, then we have a confrontation with Victoria.
We learn more about Max through entering her Room, do more time fuckery to learn more about her classmates and solve a puzzle.
We learn that David is stalking and harassing Kate, who we learn is depressed for some reason.

We meet Warren, we establish that Warren has the hots for max. Nathan confronts max showing just how insane he is, and we get fully introduced to Chloe where they reconcile.
We learn what has happened to Chloe since her dad died, establish that Max is kind of lovely. Rachel Amber was Chloe's best friend
We learn that David is Chloe's Step dad and their relationship is bad and that he is monitoring his family as well as multiple blackwell students.
Chloe and Max are confronted by David.
Chloe figures out Max saved her in the bathroom, thinks its fate. They go to the Lighthouse.
Max has another premonition, the storm is established as the big bad. Determine to figure out what is going on with Rachel.

The End.

On the other hand this is what happens in LiS2:

We establish that Sean and Lyla are friends, they are going to a party.
Sean has a crush on a girl, bad at flirting, going to a party
Sean and his family have a contentious but loving relationship.
Sean gets to go through his house and learn about his family dynamic, including a dead mom, get ready for the party.
Daniel runs outside, confrontation, shooting, Explosion? cut to 2 days later.

Daniel and Sean set up camp, Sean struggles with how he can tell his brother what happened. They sleep for the night, daniel has nightmares and maybe memory issues? cut to black.

They have already packed up and are on the road, find a rest stop, buy food, eat food, plan out route on the map.
We meet brody. He is established as a weird Bernie Bro.
Old racist man harasses them, kidnaps them.
Daniel gets away, helps sean escape. Daniel Explodes again and they steal a dog
They escape, brody helps them, drives them to arcadia bay where they get a motel.
You play fetch with a dog.
They sleep in the motel and establish Mexico as the goal.
Daniel almost blows up.
They get on the bus.

The end.

Ignoring everything else, there is just way more stuff that happens in Season 1. We have a ton of mysteries around the storm, around Rachel, around David, around the principle, around Nathan, Kate, everything. Here we just have a goal of Mexico and establish that it will be hard to get there. The pacing is absolutely awful. We do not have enough to time establish the Diaz's home life, barely establish the brother's relationship when their lie's were normal, and just establish a ton of stuff about Sean's friends that are probably not going to matter. Then we putz around int he woods for 2 hours and then we are saved by Brody and end up in a motel. End of game. The pacing is terrible, the gameplay is non-existent. The lack of a gameplay gimmick hurts this game even more than BtS because those were working of of mostly established characters who we did not have to learn about.

Now onto narrative, where the bulk of this problems lie. The political nature of the game does not bother me so much, rather I feel like its commentary is rather shallow and without almost any nuance. It is obviously reactionary to Trump's America, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but its pretty obvious that this was made by a bunch of french dudes who are reacting from the outside to issues like racism, trump's rise to power, and police shootings. These issues being presented without nuance from the lens of a foreign eye cheapen them immensely. I think the biggest thing that reflects this is that the newspaper lists Daniel, a 9 year old missing boy who is missing after a massive explosion killed a police officer, a suspect for some reason? I live is America and things are incredibly hosed up, but people would know about the explosion, there would have been other witnesses who heard it, saw it, and no one would ever write a story that calls a 9 year old a loving suspect because he happens to be Mexican-American.

Them we have Brody.

Brody is a loving problem. Every white character in the game is a complete racist shitbag, except for Brody. And what is Brody?

A Goddamn White Savior. A rich rear end bernie bro who writes and sell poo poo online and has the heart of gold and takes in these poor, homless, misunderstood Mexican boys and helps them and buys them a room and drives them places and gives them money because he can. Its loving Gross, complete failure of a character, complete miss in almost every aspect in context of this first episode.

Then the biggest problem; Sean does not even remotely acknowledge that his brother has weird mind explosion powers, he does not recognize that literally everyone is going to realize that there was some kind of explosion because how the gently caress would he kill a cop with blunt force trauma, flip a cop car, and destroy a quarter of a block in a suburb? Its insane that he does not, at any point after the first 2 explosions, even slightly acknowledge that his brother is loving weird and might be Jean Gray or some kind of loving xmen because he has near encyclopedic knowledge of every bullshit fantasy/video game thing ever. Its so bizarre and I was basically yelling at my tv the second time, when it happened in the store because how the gently caress did he not talk about it then, or think about it, or mention it. Then, icing on the cake, he does not even acknowledge it at the end of the episode when Daniel was going to destroy the motel, and then just get on a bus and FINALLY Daniel asks if he is a monster and THATS IT. Also how the gently caress did they get on a bus? So much poo poo happens off camera and its infuriating.

LiS1 constantly reminded you how loving strange and weird and bizarre it was that Max magically got time control powers and that this is horribly isnane and oh my god what is happening.

In LiS2 we get one "am I a monster?".

on top of that we just have so little flavor stuff. We had so many jokes and gags and goofs and snarky comments and weird quirky poo poo in LiS1. LiS2 is almost completely humorless. The thing I still remember most about life is strange is the late title card with "To all of you" playing and Max commenting on all her weird, quirky classmates. Nothing even slightly comes close to that in this episode and its a problem. The game has so little charm, episode one ends on loving halloween and neither characters mention this fact, including the 9 year old boy who had spent weeks perfecting his costume.

I would go as far to say that this episode outright failed, I'd probably rate it like 5/10. I do find it really interesting that some people really enjoyed the game, and im happy they did but its almost like they played a totally different product than I did.

It is weird, because I am very pleased that they went in the direction they did. They really went for something, I just think they did a really bad job at it.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 27, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paul Zuvella posted:

So.

There are a lot of problems with this game, a lot of really bad problems that I don't think are really going to get better, but they might. I'm already in for a pound on this season so Im going to have to see them through regardless.

Thoughts are going to be spoilered from now on.

If Brody ends up continuously coming out of nowhere to save the day again and again then I'll be inclined to agree with your problematic interpretation of his character, but he didn't magically fix all their problems at the end of episode one. He put the boys up in a hotel for the night and drove off. This is a road story, and I feel like Brody is just the first of a number of colorful characters from all backgrounds who will either help or harm Sean and Daniel along the way. The rest is kind of personal reaction to things and I can't really dispute that, except to say that I thought Chrysalis was the weakest episode of Season One and I think this was much stronger as an opener. I played along with my wife the entire time helping to make decisions and we found a lot of humor alongside the heavy-hitting scenes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I'm pretty sure their mom isn't dead, she just abandoned her family for some reason (this is kind of made explicit if you question Daniel outside rather than confronting the bully) and Sean doesn't seem to really like even thinking about her. If that's true I'm almost positive we'll be running into her at some point.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Paul Zuvella posted:

I would go as far to say that this episode outright failed, I'd probably rate it like 5/10. I do find it really interesting that some people really enjoyed the game, and im happy they did but its almost like they played a totally different product than I did.

I've had a day or so to think about the episode and i have to say that i agree with you 100% on this point.

This just wasn't very good at all and i'm a tad bewildered at how fans of the first two games enjoyed it. It's so utterly charmless and shallow. The characters are all so lovely and uninteresting that i just can't bring myself to care about any of them.

I regret buying the season pass. I don't give a poo poo about the next episode if it isn't Chloe and Max driving past an overturned bus before we get to continue their story.

a bitchin jetski fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 28, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

a bitchin jetski posted:

I've had a day or so to think about the episode and i have to say that i agree with you 100% on this point.

This just wasn't very good at all and i'm a tad bewildered at how fans of the first two games enjoyed it. It's so utterly charmless and shallow. The characters are all so lovely and uninteresting that i just can't bring myself to care about any of them.

I regret buying the season pass. I don't give a poo poo about the next episode if it isn't Chloe and Max driving past an overturned bus before we get to continue their story.

I don’t know if I regret it quite yet, there is a lot of room for the series to grow. They could even retroactively make this first episode better, but they sure as poo poo fumbled the dismount

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Paul Zuvella posted:

So.

I agree with everything you're saying. The question I have is whether it will all end up working in the end.

As a stand alone episode, if you just judged this by itself, it's boring. If the game works as a whole, then the slow opening may have been worth it. We got the backstory to Sean and Daniel's lives, we've seen them just wandering lost through the woods with nothing, unsure how they'd even get food, which I think will be the background of everything they experience for the rest of the game. You'll always know that they may be doing ok temporarily, staying at some motel or getting a ride from someone or whatever they'll be doing, but they're always just a bit of bad luck away from begging for food and eating berries in the woods. We also have the beginning of Daniel's power, and the relationship between the two boys established.

But establishing all of that should have been a lot more entertaining than it was.

My feeling is that one of the major problems lies with the character of Sean. He is just not terribly likeable. In the beginning of the game, especially, he comes across to me as a whiny complaining pussy. You said that the game is humorless, and I think it's because Sean is humorless. Here's Sean complaining about going to a party with a girl he likes. Here's Sean complaining because his father is fixing up a car for him, and he's not sure if he wants a car, but maybe he could use it to go on a date with Jen, but he can't even complete that thought without pouting that she may not be interested in that. What kind of teenaged boy is not sure if he wants a car? Sean is dull witted and mopey.

I can imagine this episode being vastly more enjoyable had they simply replaced Sean with Lyla. Or Max, or Chloe, or Rachel, or anyone with some enthusiasm for life.

I understand all the choices they made. They made Sean initially unlikable so you can be impressed by how he turns himself around when he has to become a parent to his little brother. All the other choices they made with this game set up the story and the characters of the brothers and their situation.

But these choices didn't add up to an entertaining first episode overall.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To me Sean seems to have inherited a few of Max's bad points but also doesn't really seem to have any of the things made her likeable or interesting either, Daniel at least seems a bit more lively and maybe should have been the main character instead. As for what few major side characters we got, I liked the dad but we only got maybe 5 minutes of screen time with him at most before he died, Lyla seems like a really good character but it's unclear at this point whether we'll ever see her again in any real capacity and Brody...seems like a nice guy but that's all there really is to him.

While the episode could have been handled a lot better (and to be fair, most LiS games only really start getting good towards the middle. Case in point: my personal favorite episodes from the previous two entries are Chaos Theory and Brave New World respectively so hopefully LiS 2 will follow the pattern as well) I still think it was an alright start and there's at least enough glimmers of potential to keep going and see what they can do with this. Hell, I thought BtS had kind of a slow start as well (the plot doesn't really kick in until almost the very end) but that at least had some decent moments here and there (such as the D&D game and pretty much Chloe and Rachel's entire road trip).

The lack of any real mystery (besides Daniel's powers which I have a feeling are going to be left as unexplained as Max's were and possibly what the deal with their mom is) or any real gameplay mechanic (aside from drawing I guess but that barely counts) did kind of hurt the game a bit but hopefully that'll be fixed as the things continue on.

Since it seems pretty clear that Episode 2 is where we tie things back into the events of Captain Spirit and Daniel learns to control his new powers hopefully things will start picking up a bit from here on out (some of the achievement names for future episodes sound kind of intriguing at least, particularly the ones for 2, 4, and 5). I am sort of curious if we're ever going to get any major reoccurring side characters (besides the dog that is) or if it'll just be more of a revolving door with characters just entering and exiting the picture as the plot demands.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 28, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Finished the episode. Way better start than Season 1, Episode 1, and I'm already ready for Episode 2. People saying Sean isn't likable is mind blowing. He's out in the wild barely keeping his own poo poo together, but the first thing on his mind is his brother and how to keep him happy and safe. He's like the complete opposite of early Max, who was pretty much aloof and disconnected from everything around her. All the small moments where Sean and Daniel bond and be a family are lovely, and you're goddamn right I told Daniel I wouldn't lie to him again.

What really got me was Sean watching the Christmas video before throwing the phone away. That was heart-wrenching.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

What really got me was Sean watching the Christmas video before throwing the phone away. That was heart-wrenching.

Probably one of the best scenes in the entire episode in my opinion (about up there with Chloe's breakdown in BtS Episode 1 to be honest), it hits even harder if you call Lyla beforehand.

Fair point about Sean, I don't dislike him per se but it's just that there's nothing that particularly grabbed me about the character either (there's still plenty of time of course). Daniel's pretty good though (as far as kid characters go anyway) and while it's somewhat doubtful at this point I'd like to stress again that I'd really like to see more of Lyla, but even if she does come back in some form I imagine she's probably going to wind up like Steph was in BtS (a fun character but severely underutilized).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 28, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I would eat my hat if Lyla doesn't become part of the train-hopping crew they're almost certainly going to become. She's way too engaging of a character to have the final scene of her's optional.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would eat my hat if Lyla doesn't become part of the train-hopping crew they're almost certainly going to become.

It might be neat if they pick up some new party members in each episode honestly (we've already got Mushroom in Episode 1 and possibly Chris in the next episode depending on what the writers ultimately decide to do with him).

As for Lyla, there's also the fact that she's basically Sean's Chloe minus the romantic angle. I'd honestly be surprised if she doesn't pop up again later down the line. Plus it's pretty clear from the texts, interactions, and the phone call near the end (should you choose to do so) that she obviously cares about them both on a deeper level and would probably do anything she could to help (she's also the only one of Sean's friends we've actually physically seen). So yeah, I could definitely see her getting involved somehow.

I can also almost guarantee you that we'll have some puzzles coming up based around Daniel's newfound telekinesis ability as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 28, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would eat my hat if Lyla doesn't become part of the train-hopping crew they're almost certainly going to become. She's way too engaging of a character to have the final scene of her's optional.

Wouldn't be too out of the question since it's pretty hinted at that she doesn't come from a happy household.

At the very least, I hope we see more of her in some form or the other.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really enjoyed this first episode. It was kind of a slow burn, but I felt like it paid itself off by the end and I'm really curious and excited to see where things are going to go.

My only real gripe is that the second act was TOO slow for it's own good. They could have cut out like, half of the trails and gotten to the campsite faster and it would have flowed a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I loved 'Roads'. Atmosphere was one of the original Life Is Strange's strongest points, and I feel they've nailed it here as well. The quiet moments are great.

A lot of people don't seem to be that interested in Sean, but I'm fond of him already. He feels very realistically teenage to me, particularly in his 'frequently frustrated, reluctantly loving' relationship with his little brother. (I also weirdly love that he's apparently a furry; it immediately made me believe more in him as a character. It feels like a very real character trait, and it's not one you see every day!) His breakdown overlooking Arcadia Bay, if you make him blame himself rather than the cop, is heartrending. I enjoyed his friendship with Lyla as well. Their complete lack of boundaries is pretty cute, and I love her text messages: friendly mockery before the incident, increasingly losing her mind with worry afterwards. Sean crying on the phone to her was another very effective moment. I'm hoping to hear more from her.

Regarding choices: I thought the game did well at making 'obvious' choices harder by setting practical choices against emotional ones. Do you only buy the things you need, or do you spend two dollars you can't really afford to get the chocolate bar you promised your brother and brighten his day a little? Do you have a last conversation with Lyla, or do you try to leave her out of this mess? I was going 'okay, no good can come of concealing the awful truth from Daniel, let's tell him at the first opportunity,' and then the first opportunity came along and the game went, 'Okay! Are you going to tell your little brother the horrible truth, or are you going to take up his invitation to have a sibling dance party?' (Unfair choice, frankly. I don't see how I was supposed to resist.)

My stats at the end included 'Daniel didn't eat enough' and I felt like the worst person in the world.