Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Let’s let poor Max and Chloe rest, wherever they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I think part of the problem they might have is they have to either dance around the final choice of season 1 or invalidate roughly half the people who've ever played the game. Or effectively create two different games in one, which sounds impracical.

Well to be fair, LiS 2 did have you choose which of the previous game’s endings you wanted to follow at the start (even though said choice only really effects the first and last episodes of said game) but yeah, unless they want to do another prequel you’d basically have to canonize an ending if you wanted to do anything else with the other characters (such as how the ongoing comic follows the Sacrifice the Bay ending).

But yeah, personally I think they should give the Arcadia Bay crew a rest for now (though I wouldn’t be opposed to a Rachel game or a game about Max’s Seattle days) and keep it as an anthology series with only slight connections to what came before.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really liked Rachel, and her character design and voice acting. I want another game with her for no other reason than that really. Do an alternate reality game where her and Chloe get out of arcadia bay. Don't say the comic I don't want to read

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well in the comic series they actu... oh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I really liked Rachel, and her character design and voice acting. I want another game with her for no other reason than that really. Do an alternate reality game where her and Chloe get out of arcadia bay. Don't say the comic I don't want to read

Out of curiosity, what’s your problem with the comic? It seems ok to me so far.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s your problem with the comic? It seems ok to me so far.

Because I want to play game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Because I want to play game

Fair, though unless Deck Nine makes it the odds of seeing Max, Chloe, or any of the Arcadia Bay crew again in game form seem kind of slim (DontNod already said that if they make another game it’ll feature a new cast and story like LiS 2 did). It would be nice if it happened though.

Though speaking of Rachel, did we ever find out more about that new project Kylie Brown tweeted about doing voice work for a while back?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 1, 2021

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

comics are for children

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said on the subject of potential BtS-esque side games I’d kind of like to see any of the following:

-A Rachel focused game that bridges the gap between BtS and the first game (it’d probably be depressing though)

-A game about Max’s Seattle days. Not sure what the gimmick would be though and she’d probably need a sidekick of some sort (maybe her friends Kris and Fernando who she mentioned in the first game)

-An expansion on Captain Spirit that explored more of Chris (such as friends, school life, etc)

-A Lyla game where we actually got to MEET all the friends of Sean mentioned in the first episode of Season 2

-A Cassidy game about the drifters traveling from place to place and the encounters they have in the process

Frank and Steph could possibly make for decent game protagonists as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 1, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A LiS sequel where Max is having to constantly swap between post-Bae ending and post-Bay ending realities to solve puzzles

Also maybe something where she quantum leaps into Rachel Amber’s body circa-BtS. Maybe that’s why Rachel Amber is so troubled even before she finds out about her parentage- throughout her adolescence she keeps blacking out for prolonged periods and apparently doing a bunch of nice stuff and making friends with everyone during those periods so she has this whole imposter complex.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 1, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Max switching between fracturing Bay/Bae realities is essentially the whole conceit of the comic series. It moves a little too slowly for me but the art is quite good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Max switching between fracturing Bay/Bae realities is essentially the whole conceit of the comic series. It moves a little too slowly for me but the art is quite good.

Well currently she’s in an alternate reality where Rachel never died and made it to LA with Chloe who are right now helping Max find her way back. It currently seems to be flashing back between that and Bae reality Chloe (there’s even been a few LiS 2 nods as of late). As mentioned, it’s kind of slow paced but it’s not that bad overall.

There’s also another guy named Tristan with invisibility powers that’s helping them out (it’s complicated, look up a wiki if you’re curious).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 1, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Do a 25 year time skip and have Rachel come back from the dead in a ritually prepared body that looks just like her, but she doesn't have any memories.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
A new LIS with the old characters would just end up disappointing, tarnishing a game that doesn't need a story-extending sequel that's what fanfic is for :v:

I don't get why Dontnod seem so averse to retreading old ground, though. They don't have to use the same characters but why not have a quaint, backwater town, oozing with childhood nostalgia, lesbian teen drama and mysterious things occuring (and maybe someone has a super power)? Sometimes it feels like they ran away from their own success.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m fine with a new cast and setting again but it would be nice if the next game was at least somewhat similar in scope to the original (like you’re in one town the whole time filled with side characters who grow and change as the game goes on) as opposed to the revolving door of cast members in Season 2.

Doing that would also likely be less work for the developers and as such the episodes would probably come out a lot quicker (in LiS 2 they were basically making new environments and models from scratch every episode).

Though that said, how exactly WOULD you reference LiS 2 in a hypothetical sequel? Granted, the boys did leave a fair bit of damage in their wake but it was more a personal journey as opposed to the cataclysmic tornado from the first game. Plus, Season 2 had 4 possible endings in total (with some variations depending on player choice) so I’m not sure how they could manage that aside from maybe reading your save file.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
News articles and stuff maybe, or side characters showing back up and referencing it? Brody seems like the kind of character who could easily appear in every LiS game for exxample.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

News articles and stuff maybe, or side characters showing back up and referencing it? Brody seems like the kind of character who could easily appear in every LiS game for exxample.

Yeah that works (aside from a brief stop at Arcadia Bay in the first episode the only returning character from the original game in 2 was David after all).

Hell, Brody even made a cameo in the most recent issue of the comic so I could see that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
LIS1 and 2 take place in the same world and the major point of the games is "strange powers" as long as it's a good story with a compelling cast it won't matter if they make a game where the Bay/Bae ending occuring literally changes as you play.

Just go all in on a weird meta-verse where everything is true until it isn't and vice versa. Adherence to static game decisions when developing sequels kind of kills creativity

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Or just have it take place in a different universe entirely. There's nothing keeping the LIS franchise from being anthological.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ovenmaster posted:

Or just have it take place in a different universe entirely. There's nothing keeping the LIS franchise from being anthological.

That's what I mean, like a DC comics Earth-52 thing. Use whatever ending/choices from previous games best serves the one being made, and hell even change it mid-act if it serves a purpose.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, if they’re going to keep the series as an anthology then why chain yourself to continuity at all? As long as the characters are decent and well developed just go nuts with the idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Basically from what I’ve seen so far (aside from the obvious choice based gameplay) a Life is Strange game generally contains the following (feel free to chime in if I forgot something):

-A blend of goofiness and melodrama (with a bit of social commentary to varying degrees)

-Main characters are dorks in some fashion

-An optional gay relationship you can pursue

-One of the main characters has unexplained superpowers (usually triggered by some kind of intense personal trauma) or there’s at least some kind of supernatural element present

-Several optional collectables to find in each episode

-A journal of some kind that gets updated frequently as the game goes on

-A part where you break into someone’s office to look for clues

Hell, even the Xbox exclusive Tell Me Why checked off a lot of those boxes (which is why I sort of consider it an unofficial LiS game in a sense). Beyond that, there’s still a lot of room for them to basically do what they want without being tied down to a specific formula or plot.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hot Dawg Man too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Hot Dawg Man too

I personally hope they keep using him at least as he’s sort of become a mascot for this series.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So I'm a bit late to the party here, but I just finished with the second game and jesus gently caress.

There was no really happy ending for Sean, was there? I wound up with the worst possible scenario but I watched all the other endings and bittersweet was about as good as it got, huh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

So I'm a bit late to the party here, but I just finished with the second game and jesus gently caress.

There was no really happy ending for Sean, was there? I wound up with the worst possible scenario but I watched all the other endings and bittersweet was about as good as it got, huh.

Honestly I think crossing the border gives you the best endings in my opinion (though to be fair there’s never been a 100% “good” ending in a Life is Strange game). In the high morality version the boys are separated but they both essentially get exactly what they each really wanted and seem happy, meanwhile in the low morality version the brothers are criminals but it’s also the only ending where they wind up making it to Puerto Lobos together and starting a new life.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wasn’t too disappointed with the ending because I still didn’t really care about the characters by the time I got there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

General Dog posted:

I wasn’t too disappointed with the ending because I still didn’t really care about the characters by the time I got there.

what? You didn't fall in love with Brody???

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is an old post but we apparently have some details regarding Deck Nine’s new game (which seems like it will indeed be a Life is Strange game but not a BtS sequel):

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstrange/comments/ggnpzy/no_spoilers_an_indepth_investigation_into_deck/

Rumored plot:

quote:

It will feature Asian-American male and female protagonists (named Gabe/Joel and Alex, respectively). Steph from BtS will be present in the game.

The siblings grew up in foster care, their mother died when Alex was 12 and their father appears to have leave them because of desperate work.

Based on market research rumors, Alex's power is related to emotions.

Most of this is conjecture at the moment of course but it’s sounding like we might get some more concrete details next month.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://segmentnext.com/2021/02/01/life-is-strange-3-announcement-2021/

quote:

Elsewhere, job listings of Deck Nine have somewhat confirmed the Colorado-based developer to be helming Life is Strange 3. Deck Nine was previously behind Life is Strange: Before the Storm, a prequel to the first game released in 2017.

Deck Nine has been working on two unannounced “narrative adventure” projects since then, one of which is in collaboration with Square Enix who owns publishing rights to the episodic franchise. Fans are hence following a trail of breadcrumbs. The wait will not be long since February 2021 has already begun. The coming weeks will confirm if rumors about Life is Strange 3 are indeed true.

I assume Deck Nine is either making games inspired by or in the LiS franchise. Seems kind of weird that they'd take the torch from dontnod unless there's some insider deals going on between them and S-E.

Speaking of dontnod Tell Me Why just kind of fizzled out as a decent game but generating no fanbase enthusiasm. Twin Mirror didn't even get much praise at all and I didn't know it existed until someone mentioned it not being received well compared to the others. It doesn't seem like there's much hype for anything they are working on and it sort of mirrors the Telltale situation where they went all in on their adventure games while management hosed around pretty hard leading to the whole studio going under.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder how badly the MS exclusively hit them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Deck Nine's been rumored to be working on LiS3 for a long time, with job postings and casting calls that have been very Life is Strangey. I think it'll probably happen.

If you read between the lines, I think the inside story goes something like this: Deck Nine came to Square-Enix in ~2016 looking to publish their own narrative adventure game. Square says "we're not gonna take a risk on an unknown studio, make this LiS prequel first in about 6 months and for 30 dollars." Despite this, Before the Storm ended up being a success. Around that time Dontnod started to drift away from Square-Enix as a publisher, getting $$$ from Microsoft and Epic to do their own stuff after completing LiS2. The LiS brand still has a lot of value so Square is going ahead with Deck Nine for the franchise, with a project that probably resembles the original pitch they made to Square with some Life is Strange trappings.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder how badly the MS exclusively hit them

They probably got the dev costs secured and a decent payout for putting it on Gold, so I reckon they did okay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Deck Nine's been rumored to be working on LiS3 for a long time, with job postings and casting calls that have been very Life is Strangey. I think it'll probably happen.

If you read between the lines, I think the inside story goes something like this: Deck Nine came to Square-Enix in ~2016 looking to publish their own narrative adventure game. Square says "we're not gonna take a risk on an unknown studio, make this LiS prequel first in about 6 months and for 30 dollars." Despite this, Before the Storm ended up being a success. Around that time Dontnod started to drift away from Square-Enix as a publisher, getting $$$ from Microsoft and Epic to do their own stuff after completing LiS2. The LiS brand still has a lot of value so Square is going ahead with Deck Nine for the franchise, with a project that probably resembles the original pitch they made to Square with some Life is Strange trappings.

As mentioned above there’s already a few rumors circling around such as it being about another pair of siblings (this time a brother and sister), the new power being based on emotions, and the possible return of Steph. I imagine whatever it is we’ll probably start getting some concrete information before too much longer now.

It would also be nice if they could follow Tell Me Why’s release schedule (that is, the whole game being made ahead of time with each episode released about a week or two apart from each other) but we’ll see I suppose.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

As mentioned above there’s already a few rumors circling around such as it being about another pair of siblings (this time a brother and sister), the new power being based on emotions, and the possible return of Steph. I imagine whatever it is we’ll probably start getting some concrete information before too much longer now.

It would also be nice if they could follow Tell Me Why’s release schedule (that is, the whole game being made ahead of time with each episode released about a week or two apart from each other) but we’ll see I suppose.

The episodic release creates both benefits and problems by design.

One one hand, its 2-3hrs pieces of content that has a tradition of replayabilty in terms of choice and outcome. TWD had "X will remember this" happen so often it became a running joke. The good part of this is that in a staggered release, people will play and replay the content to explore what is there and fuel online discussion and build up a fanbase from reviews and word of mouth. LiS1 and TWD are two of the best examples of this, as they came out over the course of the year and were heavily referenced repeatedly throughout their release windows in extremely positive terms. It's like having pre-release hype and people doing midnight launch stuff 3-4 times for a single game. That's a ton of free advertising.

The flip side to this is sticking to a release schedule and assuming each episode is as good as the previous. When you get release delays or poor quality releases, like the famous save file error in TWD, the conversation shifts pretty aggressively to a negative tone wrt the game. Rushing to finish the game on a tight deadline is probably a factor, but one of the reasons LiS was even made that way was specifically because they needed the money coming in to finance the rest of the game's development.

It really does seem like the months long staggered release model is effective, but only when the content is mostly done and there aren't last minute changes rushed out to the game or story. A Wolf Among Us gets brought up a lot as the game where everyone predicted the mystery by episode one, and an oft repeated rumor is the writers changed it around to a different ending by episode 5 so suddenly a ton of stuff doesn't make for the sake of a "surprise" ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if it would be possible for a Life is Strange game to ever come out/be ported to a Nintendo console someday (unless Square had some kind of exclusivity agreement with Sony and Microsoft or something). Come to think of it, could the Switch even run most of the games?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the staggered release schedule made a lot of sense for Life is Strange S1, where the end of each episode was shocking in its own way and the murder mystery plot had all kinds of twists and turns. That led to a ton of entr'acte discussion with incredibly detailed analysis, and was how I got pulled into the series. Before the Storm was similar, although on a much less cosmic scale. LiS 2 could have been released as one continuous game, and perhaps should have, as there weren't too many cliffhangers and the story wasn't really set up for any major revelations like that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

I wonder if it would be possible for a Life is Strange game to ever come out/be ported to a Nintendo console someday (unless Square had some kind of exclusivity agreement with Sony and Microsoft or something). Come to think of it, could the Switch even run most of the games?

The Switch is running a passable port of DOOM Eternal - pretty sure it could handle a LiS game.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

The Switch is running a passable port of DOOM Eternal - pretty sure it could handle a DontNod LiS game.

Is there a particular reason why the LiS series hasn’t been released on a Nintendo console as of yet then? So far it’s mostly been PlayStation/Xbox/PC exclusive (along with a few mobile ports as well minus LiS 2/Captain Spirit).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular reason why the LiS series hasn’t been released on a Nintendo console so far then?

Not sure - there are already Android/iOS ports so the first LiS wouldn't be a difficult game to port over.