Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PunkBoy posted:

I just was able to play through the opening part, but holy poo poo I'm all in on this season. That was on the level of any of the emotional highs in Season 1. Wasn't sure how I would feel about leaving Max and Chloe for new characters, but I'm fully behind the Diaz boys now.

Some observations from the opening:

-Lyla owns. It would be nice to have an option for her and Sean to be a couple by the end, but their friendship is very sweet and genuine so I'm fine either way.
-Daniel's little eyebrow wagging while trying to convince Sean to give him the chocolate bar was great.
-Really liked the dynamic between Sean and his father. Made the end of opening part even tougher...
-Daniel having a crush on Lyla is super adorable, and it was heartbreaking when Sean told him she was cheating on him. The angry peek out the door when Sean turned away made me laugh out loud.
-The little things you could do in Sean's room was cool. Liked being able to sketch (even though I wish the instructions were a bit more clear), and him singing along with the music was a neat touch. Fooling around with stuff while talking with Lyla was also neat, and I was surprised when she actually reacted to what I was doing and asked to see the doodle.
-Again, holy poo poo, the ending of the opening scene. Made me pretty uncomfortable with how realistic it was portrayed.

I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

I was kinda getting burnt out so I was definitely happy with new characters

-I like Daniel a lot more than Sean right now but it's still early so maybe it's not player character syndrome yet
-To Sean's credit he does pull off the right mix of rear end in a top hat and sweet that I'd expect from an older sibling
-Lyla is super cool and I hope we see more of her ,didn't call her and I still feel bad :(
-Ok so 100% powers are activated by emotions, the question is it just negative ones? Could you be really happy and get them?

I feel like a lot of people don't understand How quickly cops shoot people in the US, like if you're not from here know that it's a goddamn miracle Sean didn't just get popped right away.

Larryb posted:

Based on the first description it almost sounds like Max is constantly shifting back between universes (which may imply that her powers might be growing out of her control) which could be really interesting to explore if handled right.

The 1st issue cover seems to back you up as Max is by herself in the reflection. I've always liked the oh man I'm hopping back and forth between the two endings when I saw it in fanfaction so I'm hype.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And they're releaseing an annotated guide to Blackwell Academy.

I will let the thread know if it's any good remind me when it comes out. So the comic is doing issues with the trade coming out in April then?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I have my crying tissues and my convoluted strawman arguments in defense of my plot interpretation lined up and ready.

I'm ready :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

And they're releaseing an annotated guide to Blackwell Academy.

SirKibbles posted:

I will let the thread know if it's any good remind me when it comes out.

Haven't read it all yet so I'll get to that later but I just wanted to point out

The size difference between this and the other art books

In both size and page count

is massive (also it's by titan too didn't notice when I bought it)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Huh, forgot that was out already (or that the first game had an art book as well). Anything particularly interesting in there? Also, does it mention anyone from BtS and/or Chris' mom?

Ok so it's like one of those books where you flip it over and it's another book so one side is the Blackwell Academy student guide

Rachel and Chloe (and later Max) write all over it apparently it's in the library so you get cameo's from Victoria and Nathan (book really reminded me just HOW much of an rear end Nathan and Vic are) The Rachel and Chloe stuff is after BTS which there's a preface saying it doesn't pick a particular end path (so not clear on if Chloe hid or told the truth,if they're a thing ,suspended or expelled etc) smaller choices do it get picked. Like Chloe does play D&D( Which Max the huge nerd is sad she missed out on) Mikey apparently goes with his brother to whatever school Drew got into (Chloe says he never came back next year) And she teases Victoria writing tea roofie like 10 times (Vic does not like it obviously)

Apparently though Rachel isn't hiding she dresses in punkish stuff because the book does one of those ask the student things and she's just wearing her full BtS concert getup in it

The LiS part seemly takes place after episode 2 (Due to some mean poo poo about Kate Vic says,things Max says about Mark mainly she still is like wow so cool,kind of an rear end, but still cool) but before episode 4. You get a lot of sad comments about stuff Rachel and Chloe wrote from Chloe or Max (Like Rachel saying if we had a 3rd person we could start our own club and Max is like that's sad and Chloe talking about missing her. There's less new stuff we find out from the LiS end it's mostly reaction and commenting on other students/places/teachers (Max commenting on Chloe being in the play for example or unsafe the old mill looked)

The other side is about Arcadia Bay told in the form of a travel guide same format though Max,Rachel,Chloe,Vic&Nathan(who both somehow come off worse than the BW academy part) commenting on stuff. It's got a lot of back ground stuff for the town. Like there are coffee shops and stuff mostly that the campus kids go to (so like any other college town built around a small town) it's not just a fishing/trucking town, new fancy restaurants (gentrification is a big theme in Chloe's comments) It tells us who the mayor and a few of notable people are. Going to post names to see if any references are there

Mayor: Libby Cochran Sheriff: Ronan Newell Chief of police Mitchel Camber James Amber was a prosecutor before becoming DA Kathy Coulson is the woman who owns all the newspapers and her deceased husband is named Keith Coulson

The Sheriff is former FBI apparently and the reason Rachel's missing person poster has the sheriffs office is because all the local cops are in the Prescott' pocket. Principal Wells and Samuel are from the same Blackwell graduating class (1978)

The Prescott are the town's largest employer which to me between them owning the police, Nathan's clean as a whistle rap sheet and Chloe's not so clean one means that Nathan is probably walking from Chloe's murder. Kate's thing would be a whole other case but his lawyer could easily claim self defense and that it was Chloe's gun. Nate might feel guilty but he bends to his father's whims and no way is he going to let the Prescott name be ruined and Max is the only witness to the actual murder(which is going to succcck for her,Sean pays for the scholarships and hopefully he doesn't own the houses or has connects with someone who does because Joyce is about to be homeless she's already behind on payments they could take it. Bay Max is so screwed no one ever talks about this.) But we'll know next month I suppose back to the semi review then.

The Prescotts have a massive Illuminati obelisk on their family mausoleum (red flag as all hell) More totems everywhere

A crow and a bear hmmmm......
You get the myth of how Arcadia Bay was made

Arcadia Bay Guide posted:

The Bay itself was created by a thunderbird defending the shore from angry whales attacking the people there. The thunderbird picked up the whales,hauled them into the air,and dropped them from a tremendous height. The impact the whales made formed a crater into which the sea rushed,forming what we now know as Arcadia Bay.
This is interesting because at first I figured the whales and birds dying were just random nature is pissed stuff but now that I think about it it's only whales and birds that die.

In the middle there's like a mini art section this is more directly concept art as opposed to the other stuff which is concept art dressed up a little more This is just Chloe,Max,Rachel and pictures of the dorm,Rachel's place,(insurance covered the broken table fully)the junkyard. Random thing couldn't really fit anywhere else whereas Max hasn't really thought about religion that much Chloe is apparently Agnostic .

If you own the other two art books there is some overlap but they're bigger photos and higher quality examples:

Can I complain about the LiS 1 lighting engine for a bit? In the above picture Max is clearly Brunette

Cover for the game? Concept art? Still brunette.
In game with any kind of light source? Hazel

All and all if you like the games and you like concept art stuff with a little get it, if not pass. If you have to choose between this and the other two art books get this one. It's cheaper $30 for this vs 20 for bts and like 50 for the original LiS( I am an insane man who really likes concept art books do NOT get the original book. It is small you basically have to get it custom from Squareenix's amazon and that jacks up the price hella high and a good chunk of the art is in the Blackwell guide in better quality)

Have some HotDawgMan and what I would figure is a preview of the art style of the comic since that's also published by Titan comics ( I hope it's not as cartoony as this but I dig the general vibe)

Also one the major themes of LiS is clearly liking skateboarding and tattoos since Max,Chloe,and Sean all like them both.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't the comic being drawn in part by the same woman who did all that fanart for Season One and promotional work for Before the Storm (Afterlaughs)?

Nope you can see the writer (Emma Vieceli) colorist (Andrea Izzo)and artist(Claudia Leonardi) names on the comic preview

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to some of your other points, Max doesn't seem to care for skateboarding or tattoos all that much in comparison to Chloe and Sean (as far as I can recall anyway).

As for the expulsion thing, there's a report card you can find in Chloe's room during the first game from 2011 and the game makes it explicit that she was expelled from Blackwell by the time LiS starts. So if you want to try and line this up with BtS I suppose you could say that Chloe was either canonically suspended back then or James actually made good on his offer to try and get her back into Blackwell only for her to get kicked out again the following year (though if you're following the Truth ending, why he would want to help someone who ruined his life, broke up his family and turned his daughter against him is beyond me).

Larryb posted:

Interesting. Does it mention anything regarding what happened to Steph and/or Samantha? Also since you said the LiS portion takes place after Episode 2 does it specify whether or not Kate is still alive?

Good to have some confirmation that Max didn't kill everyone if you chose the Bae ending though.

It doesn't on either Steph or Samantha. As for Kate no it does not mention that either

I also assumed James pulled strings if you hid it or got mega guilt tripped by Rachel into doing it (which he would also do.)

In farewell Chloe brings up teaching her how to skate and she says she's afraid of falling and when she talks about Chloe's tattoos(which she brings up how cool they look all the time) Says her parents would kill her . Max is pretty honest in her thoughts about hating stuff and she never rejects either and draws,photographs,and writes about both a lot so you can lean towards her liking them.

A running theme with Max is she wants to try new stuff and branch out but she's afraid of the outcome(not be a cliche shy geek) go for a midnight swim get a little rebellious which leads to great poo poo like trying to get drugs from Frank in the most Max way ever. (higher education? you really bought that Max lol dork I love her)

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Max cares one way or the other about skateboarding itself, but she totally thinks skater boys are cute

Specifically Trevor (there's an awkward alt timeline for you) between him Warren she has a type. That's what irritates me about actually bi characters they have no problem having Max say that or Chloe carry condoms but when THE GAY is involved suddenly it's like your choice man and they remove actual dialogue to make it happen. (Let me say art gallery chicks are cute damnit)-end angry bi rant

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Back on topic, has anyone tried choosing "No" when asked if you played Season 1 at the start? If so, which ending does the Arcadia Bay scene default to in that case?

It's randomized 50/50 shot of it being either one.