Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It was confirmed about an hour ago: everyone at Telltale games has been laid off, save for about a dozen people who are finishing up the last Walking Dead game. Wolf Among Us 2 and Stranger Things, which were both mostly finished, will never be.

It wasn’t entirely unexpected (they had to lay off about 1/3 of their staff about a year ago, and they still couldn’t recover financially) they’ve been hemorrhaging money for years because they invested so much money and effort making games for entertainment properties that took a huge cut of their already-dwindling sales- IIRC WB Games and Disney took over half of the proceeds from Batman and Guardians of the Galaxy, respectively. I haven’t really played any of their games for several years, but I enjoyed their Homestar Runner and Back to the Future games, and played a lot of their poker stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I’m just upset we never got Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People season 2.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Poker Night at the Inventory 1 and 2 were fun, sometimes I'll rewatch compilation videos of the characters saying stuff.

Poker Night 2 got removed from sale on digital stores a few days ago and it mostly flew under the radar, so I guess we can expect more of their stuff to vanish soon :/

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Looking back I'm actually shocked they survived as long as they did.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1043239485880905728?s=21

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

if i got laid off from a programming job in san francisco i'd use the opportunity to move literally anywhere else on the planet and maybe not program anymore, instead of going to san rafael to meet a quebecoise french pedophile who says hon hon hon je suis buy le tapas and zee smhall platters fohr ou, oui oui

Lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Season 2 has some really good moments (Clementine meeting the villain for the first time particularly stands out in my mind) but overall was really uneven. I also didn’t like that they tried to portray Kenny as this dangerous raging lunatic when he was completely right about everything, which sapped a lot of the drama. I still liked it overall but I get the mixed reaction.

For some reason Telltale was really, really (REALLY) loving salty that the vast majority of players sided with Kenny instead of Lilly, who they expected people to like somehow, which is why he became a deranged psycho out of seemingly nowhere in S2 (unless you picked Lilly’s path, and then it makes more sense). They’ve said numerous times that siding with Kenny in S1 is strictly not canon, and that’s the only choice they’ve ever really put their foot down like that. It’s really weird. I wonder if they just hated his voice actor or something

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I've heard nothing but really good things about that Pillars of the Earth game.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

it turns out shutting off the lights overnight and not paying out severances while an executive board is still cashing checks from game sales is a violation of labor laws and Telltale is being brought to court in California

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They're also posting about shopping the walking dead ip around instead of paying severances, lol

Jej.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

TFW you realize we'll never get Telltale Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Fargield posted: