Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Tales from the Borderlands sounds impossible to be good and yet it is. Kinda bummed about this even tho most of their games were mediocre to diarrhea dog shits. Dontnod kind of ate their lunch in the chill feelsy narrative game genre, so at least I still have that.... for now

Have you played Before The Storm yet? I was apprehensive about it because it's from a different team but I finished the first chapter the other night and it was great, even tho I'm not crazy about Rachel's character . High hopes for LIS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

TOXIC MANAGEMENT COST AN AWARD-WINNING GAME STUDIO ITS BEST DEVELOPERS
Mar 20, 2018
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

By September 2017, Telltale had named a new CEO: former SVP and GM of games at Zynga, Pete Hawley. His hiring came with its fair share of trepidation.

Everything i've read on twitter and reddit from employees laid off today makes it sound like the new CEO was actually a huge improvement, surprisingly, but they were just too deep in the hole at that point for anything to make a difference. Like it was his call for them to switch to a new engine staring with The Wolf Among Us 2 and also he pushed development on their own original IPs to get out of licensing he'll

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

That drop in players between Walking Dead seasons is massive.

It's only a hunch but i'm betting some games like Minecraft Story Mode (which was apparently their only big financial success since TWD season 1) sold a ton of copies to kids playing on iPads and consoles and stuff and that the Steam stats aren't a very good metric. Going by more shaky anonymous source stuff I've read it sounds like Batman and Guardian of the Galaxy were the 2 licenses that really totaled the company where they never saw enough sales to recoup anything beyond their licensing costs and like literally made no money from them. I haven't played it but apparently Batman is one of the better games Telltale ever did, too, with lots of legitimate branching paths and ways to shape the story

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I will also give free BJs to anyone affected

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Check out Unavowed, I think I heard somewhere that it redefines the adventure RPG genre

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I played all those games as a child + the sierra ones and it probably made me insane. Space Quest 1 had a cool thing where if you get caught by some random alien chasing you who tries to kiss you in the first zone of the game, much later, about 5 minutes from the end of the game, a Xenomorph chestburster pops out of your body and kills you and you basically have to play the whole game over if you want to see the ending

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

if you knew ANYTihing you know that's classic sierra logic especially kings quest 5 style. lucasarts games were generally much less obtuse for the most part although they did have some egregious ones too liek THE DIG which starts off with a musicpuzzle iirc. gently caress you

The Dig puzzle where you have to put the skeleton back together completely broke me mentally and spiritually as a kid and I never recovered

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyway Indiana Jones & The Curse of Atlantis by Lucasarts is probably the old adventure game that holds up the best just because it has multiple puzzle solutions and ways to fight or talk your way out of situations where you can't solve the puzzle

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm pretty sure i gave up on it at the music puzzle 10 minutes into the gamesince those are always the worst

I don't even remember that. I stopped playing because my mom made me uninstall it because there's some mini game where when you lose the VO says "drat. drat. Double drat!" and that was too much for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

there's totally gonna be a CliffyB thing where the devs on twitter talk about how they proposed $40 million to make Crazy Rich Asians: A Telltale Adventure or The Handmaid's Tale: The Telltale Saga

I would buy those and also Telltale Games Presents: The OC

• Locked thread