Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, gently caress, the industry needed a studio like them. I'll update as more details come in, but as it is, according to IGN a skeleton crew of staff are hanging on to finish the final season of Walking Dead and all other projects are cancelled, including Stranger Things and Wolf Among Us 2.

This blows. I knew they'd had some trouble with the former CEO being a poo poo and many talented staff leaving due to him but it sounded like they were well past that. I'd guess that too many of their players were waiting on seasons to be completed and on put on sale before actually buying them. For now, who knows. Guess they just couldn't wait for the holiday season's numbers to save them. This whole thing really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My opinion of them never really recovered after Walking Dead Season One ate my save file between episodes, but its still shocking and sad to see them go. They more or less kept adventure games alive back in the day when adventure gamers were trying to convince themselves that poo poo like Still/Life was good. In the end, their management problems ultimately destroyed them even after they tried to work past them. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Huh, I kind of assumed Telltale were doing well. Real shame to see they are not, I like most of their stuff and love some of it :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I liked Walking Dead 1, The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands, everything else kinda sucked.

Game of Thrones in particular was really loving lovely and I never bought a Telltale game again after that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So this was as sudden to people inside the company as it seemed from the outside, and TWD S4 may not even see completion.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/walking-dead-game-developer-hit-staff-layoffs-1202952915/

quote:

The team behind the highly successful narratively-driven “The Walking Dead” video game adaptation was rocked with massive layoffs this week, with nearly 90 percent of the estimates 250 employees let go, a source with the company who asked not to be named told Variety. The remaining employees will finish the Netflix “Minecraft: Story Mode” interactive series.

The news lands just before the release of episode two of the final season of the studio’s arguably most successful series, “Telltale’s The Walking Dead.” Suffer the Children is set for release on Tuesday, Sept. 25. The release of the rest of the final season is “uncertain,” the source told Variety.

Earlier this week, both a designer and the creative director for “The Walking Dead” season spoke with Variety at length about the future of the series and the company for an unrelated feature. Neither seemed aware that potential problems were brewing at the studio.

That the news came suddenly was backed up by a source today who told Variety that “everything changed today.” That could be tied to news that the Telltale Games’ planned “Stranger Things” game as well as “The Wolf Among Us 2” were, according to a source, canceled.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The industry didn't need a toxic company owned by greedy bastards that pumped out terrible games that only sold due to pop culture licenses.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It's terrible news for the employees and I really hope they find new jobs elsewhere in the industry soon. But I won't miss Telltale itself at all, they made some good ones initially (wish they'd kept the Nelson Tethers series going) but wow towards the end it was just shovelware.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The last game I played from them was the first Batman season and while I liked the writing, some of the location( the Wayne's manor pop to mind) felt like it had a really simple geometry. Their tech was ancient and dated, it really needed to be updated because in some scenes it seemed to struggle event recent hardware.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bleusilences posted:

The last game I played from them was the first Batman season and while I liked the writing the engine felt so old and some of the location( the Wayne's manor pop to mind) felt like it had a really simple geometry. Their tech was ancient and dates, it really needed to be updated because in some scenes it seemed to struggle event recent hardware.

I want someone to leak the Telltale engine just so we can see how lovely it really is

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoyed both the Sam and Max Seasons and the Monkey Island one and the general attempts to breathe life into a dead genre, but the crazy success of TWD Season 1 obviously sent them in a completely different direction. I suppose that the issue is that I, like most, stopped buying their stuff after it became obvious that the main selling point, dramatic choices, weren't actually functional.

Tales from the Borderlands was good though, because it was funny enough that the implied drama surrounding the false choices didn't really overwhelm it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

waffle posted:

It's terrible news for the employees and I really hope they find new jobs elsewhere in the industry soon. But I won't miss Telltale itself at all, they made some good ones initially (wish they'd kept the Nelson Tethers series going) but wow towards the end it was just shovelware.

Many of later offerings seemed iffy, and I found a lot of the narrative presentation to be dull. There were too many moments of people expositing to eachother while standing completely still in a room, or expositing to eachother while walking down a bland hallway. A lot of the gameplay felt like you were simply plodding along until you got to the next part where the animation budget was parceled out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Telltale confirms what everyone already knew

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1043252010999410689

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sad to see them go, but honestly haven't bought any game of their in years. I loved their work when it was Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and even stuff like Tales of Borderlands or Wolf Among Us. But while I enjoyed Walking Dead season 1, I never bother to play beyond the first episode of season 2 as it was just getting comical on how the game wanted to be cruel to the player. And after that there was no more Sam & Max or Monkey Island type games and more and more license games that I honestly had no interest in playing.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The walking dead the first season and tales from the borderlands. I’d list in my top 50 or so favorite games.

It’s probably for the best though because what has telltale put out in the last few years that’s been anything near the level of the first two.

I hope the people laid off can quickly find new and better jobs.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress you make Batman boring? Good ridance imo, i hope cdpr contact the people who made wolf among us

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Saw this headline and was just like yeah that makes sense.

I just don' care to buy their games with how insanely little effort actually seemed to go into them after TWD S1. S2 cemented that for me.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I loving loved both seasons of Batman, tbh

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DoctorGonzo posted:

How the gently caress you make Batman boring? Good ridance imo, i hope cdpr contact the people who made wolf among us

What does the California Department of Pesticide Regulation have anything to do with this? :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I heard a lot about Telltale, mainly about how they were actually quite bad to work for since every project director after TWD1's success wanted to get writing credit for everything and turned into massive divas whenever someone tried to suggest anything that deviated from 'their vision'.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
S1 TWD was pretty great until i got to the end and discovered and none of my choices really mattered, but the ending saved it anyway. Enjoyed S2 too cause Kenny was cool, but retarded and neat to play Clem, but it had some huge issues with the writing. Everything else sucked really hard, i never tried the wolf game tho.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Bleusilences posted:

The last game I played from them was the first Batman season and while I liked the writing, some of the location( the Wayne's manor pop to mind) felt like it had a really simple geometry. Their tech was ancient and dated, it really needed to be updated because in some scenes it seemed to struggle event recent hardware.

They were going to be making their future games off Unity after TWD4 was finished.

Honestly the engine didn't bother me that much (though it does seem improved in the latest TWD). But I can see how for many it could turn them off and they probably should have put more resources towards a new engine sooner.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looks like they aren't even going to be able to finish Walking Dead :(

https://twitter.com/LawofTD/status/1043278296396357633

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Talk about adding insult to injury.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just how much effort was needed for one of their games anyway?

They're glorified visual novels, or create your own adventures.

Won't most of the work be done by animators?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I bought that final season of Walking Dead, so lol on me I suppose. Hell I liked basically every game of theirs I played.

A sad day.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the TWD games/seasons are basically the only game my wife liked, RIP

(I loved season 1, but since then I played a bit or all of season 2, Wolf Among Us, Borderlands, and Game of Thrones and maybe Batman? (you get free episodes so much with PS plus)... felt like their stuff was getting worse over time tbh

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Rirse posted:

Sad to see them go, but honestly haven't bought any game of their in years. I loved their work when it was Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and even stuff like Tales of Borderlands or Wolf Among Us. But while I enjoyed Walking Dead season 1, I never bother to play beyond the first episode of season 2 as it was just getting comical on how the game wanted to be cruel to the player. And after that there was no more Sam & Max or Monkey Island type games and more and more license games that I honestly had no interest in playing.

I'm the same story, though it wasn't the writing or the cracks in their player choice systems becoming fully apparent that pushed me off of TWD season 2, but because they entirely abandoned any of the puzzle elements I need from my adventure games. The meager, half-assed puzzles it did include (I don't even think there were more than 4 or 5 in the entire season, if even that many) were insultingly basic. Telltale enticed me with promises of another quality adventure game but ended up selling me some poorly written visual novel.

I mean, TWD season 2 was the last Telltale game I played, so I honestly don't even know if they ultimately stopped making puzzles, but I strongly suspect they did.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

twd season 1 was fantastic, 2 fell off a goddamn cliff though.

not even sad that the last season got cancelled, it's been bad since 2. sucks for the people that work there though, but this industry is also a merciless meat grinder so, welp.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I would love to see some financial details on them, because their stuff seems to sell pretty drat well. I'm guessing they spend most of their budget on acquiring licences and voice acting, and possibly having to kick back a too high percentage to the license holders as well? I was hoping to get new stuff from them on an engine that didn't run like poo poo because I did like a lot of their stuff.

Game of Thrones was easily their worst game. Knowing what happens in the books or show ends up coloring all your decisions and ruining tension. They could have made a dope Westworld game.

It's a real shame that Telltale goes out of business and David Cage is still doing his thing, even though I guess Telltale was awful to work for.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

treat posted:

I'm the same story, though it wasn't the writing or the cracks in their player choice systems becoming fully apparent that pushed me off of TWD season 2, but because they entirely abandoned any of the puzzle elements I need from my adventure games. The meager, half-assed puzzles it did include (I don't even think there were more than 4 or 5 in the entire season, if even that many) were insultingly basic. Telltale enticed me with promises of another quality adventure game but ended up selling me some poorly written visual novel.

I mean, TWD season 2 was the last Telltale game I played, so I honestly don't even know if they ultimately stopped making puzzles, but I strongly suspect they did.

The Batman games had some scenes akin to puzzling where you basically investigate crime scenes or plot enemy takedowns. The Minecraft one also had some level of puzzle solving to the point that, gasp, you were able finish the game without getting all achievements.

Surprisingly, the best game they did after TWD1 was Borderlands. It wasn't mechanically innovative, but it's a joyous, absolutely fun game that I'd reccomend to anyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I would love to see some financial details on them, because their stuff seems to sell pretty drat well. I'm guessing they spend most of their budget on acquiring licences and voice acting, and possibly having to kick back a too high percentage to the license holders as well? I was hoping to get new stuff from them on an engine that didn't run like poo poo because I did like a lot of their stuff.

Game of Thrones was easily their worst game. Knowing what happens in the books or show ends up coloring all your decisions and ruining tension. They could have made a dope Westworld game.

It's a real shame that Telltale goes out of business and David Cage is still doing his thing, even though I guess Telltale was awful to work for.

Back when SteamSpy was still around I would look at how certain games were doing and Telltale was really not doing so hot in 2017. I remember Batman and TWD Season 3 were both below 100k copies at some point well into their respective runs, which was downright awful for how popular those IPs are.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I know it's nothing concrete but there's this graph that seems to be sourcing Steamspy. It doesn't take consoles into account of course but I'm guessing the proportions of each game are more likely accurate than not. At least in the sense that everything post TWD S1 never got anywhere near the level it did.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So TWD won't be finished, so I'll just make my own canon ending:

Clem lives and is very happy and nothing bad will ever happen to her again. The End.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
honestly considering the amount of games they were pumping out year after year I thought they were doing just fine. I never played a single one of their games but own a decent amount of them thanks to PS+ so maybe I'll play a few in memoriam

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm curious too I wonder I how sales have been since TWD season 1? I really felt like the studio still had potential and would eventually release another good game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, I've seen other developers ape Telltale's style arguably better than Telltale themselves did (and with actual gameplay to boot rather than being one long interactive cutscene) so it's not like this genre of games is going away any time soon even with them out of the picture. It's a pity they weren't at least able to finish TWD though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 22, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just grateful we got 3 seasons of Sam & Max.

Wow it has been a while since those were released hasn't it?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This story got progressively worse throughout the day, from 'some layoffs' to 'actually we're closing' to 'we're so broke we can't even finish our current game' :stare:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shneak posted:

This story got progressively worse throughout the day, from 'some layoffs' to 'actually we're closing' to 'we're so broke we can't even finish our current game' :stare:

I'm honestly surprised the CEO didn't just sneak away in the middle of the night on a plane to a country with no extradition treaty with the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

This article is from back in March, but it really goes in deep on why this ultimately happened.

However, if you're a sad morbid gently caress, this'll be the best part:

verge posted:

Although people within Telltale are still saddened by the loss of so many of their colleagues, many said they now feel more optimistic about the developer’s future than they have in a long time. “We’re certainly at a place where we have more freedom to experiment than we ever had in the past,” says one source. “Between last year and now the difference in the company is like night and day. I now walk into an executive review meeting knowing I’ll get usable feedback instead of wondering who will be in charge of the project tomorrow.”

The company will continue with its previously announced projects, including new seasons of established properties like Game of Thrones and The Wolf Among Us. One source tells The Verge that those production plans were not impacted by the layoffs.

Among those projects is The Walking Dead: The Final Season, slated for summer 2018. Six years after the first episode’s release, the fourth season of the game that helped define the best and worst of the studio will mark the end of an era — and perhaps the beginning of a new one. Telltale repeatedly declined any interviews for this article, with a representative noting in an email, “We want to be able to show our fans what the future of Telltale looks like rather than simply tell them, and we’re just not ready to do that yet.”

• Locked thread