Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
That graph is stunning. I hope season 2 of Batman picked up big time in the time since the chart was made. Speaking of...

Little Mac posted:

I loving loved both seasons of Batman, tbh

Same, I'm not sure why someone would find them "boring" but there ya go. I liked the twists they gave to the cliches of the Batman mythos.

steinrokkan posted:

The industry didn't need a toxic company owned by greedy bastards that pumped out terrible games that only sold due to pop culture licenses.

Their internal politics and leadership aside, I enjoyed what I played of theirs and always hoped that they'd get back to where they were in the early days of carrying the LucasArts torch, pursing obscure licences like theirs, and maybe having enough clout and financial backing to try and innovate the narrative/adventure genre. Of course, making a narrative game where you had many various options and outcomes would've been demanded a huge budget, but with what TWD S1 sold...I always hoped they'd have that kind of freedom.

Well, fingers crossed that Supermassive's next game excels the highs of Until Dawn.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It's a real shame that Telltale goes out of business and David Cage is still doing his thing, even though I guess Telltale was awful to work for.

I was under the impression that Detroit was his best to date and a vast improvement on what QD had put out before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Agent Escalus posted:

I was under the impression that Detroit was his best to date and a vast improvement on what QD had put out before?

As far as production quality goes, yes. Other than that it is still very, very David Cage.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Agent Escalus posted:

Doesn't change the fact that he's David Cage and can't not David Cage-it-up ala Indigo Prophecy. Strong beginning and premise that slowly goes downhill until it drops off a cliff.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Does this mean sam and max might go to a studio that will actually do something with it? I think that's the last telltale series I genuinely liked.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They deserve to rot hell for the season format of game releases. gently caress off with that crap.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Does this mean sam and max might go to a studio that will actually do something with it? I think that's the last telltale series I genuinely liked.

It's possible, does LucasArts still own the rights to it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I never liked their games anyway. Good riddance, capitalist pig dogs.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

DoctorGonzo posted:

They deserve to rot hell for the season format of game releases. gently caress off with that crap.

When even Valve at their apex couldn't really get the industry behind episodic release games and Sony rendered their try to a one-and-done (the Siren PS3 remake), you knew it was an idea that wasn't going to last. Other than TTG's catalogue the only other episodic release I can think of is the recent Hitman installment and I don't recall that it went over all that well with that game's fans.

Larryb posted:

It's possible, does LucasArts still own the rights to it?

It's Steve Purcell's creation as an indie comic he did on the side, long before it was a game (Purcell came aboard LA as a box/manual/promo artist for stuff like Maniac Mansion) so I imagine all rights eventually revert to him based on whatever the contract was. Unless he sold the guys to George, but I don't think he did, and I don't recall LA had anything to do with the S&M cartoon that later came about - nor other stuff, like the comic TPBs or the cartoon toys that were in development while they were hoping Fox gave them a second season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

When even Valve at their apex couldn't really get the industry behind episodic release games and Sony rendered their try to a one-and-done (the Siren PS3 remake), you knew it was an idea that wasn't going to last. Other than TTG's catalogue the only other episodic release I can think of is the recent Hitman installment and I don't recall that it went over all that well with that game's fans.

It's Steve Purcell's creation as an indie comic he did on the side, long before it was a game (Purcell came aboard LA as a box/manual/promo artist for stuff like Maniac Mansion) so I imagine all rights eventually revert to him based on whatever the contract was. Unless he sold the guys to George, but I don't think he did, and I don't recall LA had anything to do with the S&M cartoon that later came about - nor other stuff, like the comic TPBs or the cartoon toys that were in development while they were hoping Fox gave them a second season.

Ah, I haven't followed Sam & Max that much lately and knew LA had something to do with the games at the very least but I didn't know for sure whether or not they had a hand in the other stuff. Either way though, there's still hope for that particular series getting revived one day then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
that sucks. i legit liked walking dead season 1 and wolf among us and the batman season one, and what i played of borderlands(and i loving hate that series in general) i think the big issue i have with there stuff is after a while it got really obvious to see where the "invisible" narrative walls were. in some stuff like walking dead and wolf among us and even batman, it worked fine because they were able to play with peoples expectations to an extent. but then you have poo poo like the Game of thrones game, which i enjoyed somewhat but holy gently caress, why didn't they just make it during roberts rebellion or ealier. it takes place at the end of season 3 and to the middle of 4. the problem is outside the games orginal characters. everyone is a plot armored show character. so when ramsay bolton shows up to your house. you know it won't end with you gutting him.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This thread makes this whole thing seem like an absolute nightmare that management hosed up with little care.

https://twitter.com/emilybuckshot/status/1043324118915899392

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Psychepath posted:

This thread makes this whole thing seem like an absolute nightmare that management hosed up with little care.

https://twitter.com/emilybuckshot/status/1043324118915899392

so management basicaly played with money they didn't have and eventualy the dam broke.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

There were a few fans who liked the episodes for Hitman but it's telling that Hitman 2 (really should be called Hitman Season 2 to differentiate it from the actual Hitman 2 but whatever) isn't going back to the episodic format. It might've been Squeenix's idea anyway and now they're out of the equation, IOI can do what they please.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lareine posted:

There were a few fans who liked the episodes for Hitman but it's telling that Hitman 2 (really should be called Hitman Season 2 to differentiate it from the actual Hitman 2 but whatever) isn't going back to the episodic format. It might've been Squeenix's idea anyway and now they're out of the equation, IOI can do what they please.

Well, the reason they dropped the episodic content is so they aren't stuck using the same map for month(s) for elusive targets.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Goes to show how far the perception of success can take you, I guess.

See also: Uber, Tesla.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I'm still mad at telltale for never releasing the sam and max season 3 soundtrack on cd. the album art on the physical copies from the first two seasons are amazing and I was hoping to complete my collection. I think the only way to get it now is from game rips and I'm too lazy to search for those :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dang, my kiddos reallly loved Minecraft Story Mode, and I preordered the walking dead final season, really curious to see what happens with that now.

I decided to wait to play all the episodes until the season was done so I guess it’s my fault guys, sorry :(

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed Telltale Games when they at least pretended to add gameplay. Monkey Island was fine, Sam & Max was great, Puzzle Agent 1 & 2 were my favorites.

I don't think I played any game post Game of Thrones. Whoever I asked seemed to point out that their games were following that trend.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drat they won't even finish the walkind dead? hosed up

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I only played the first TWD, what happens to Clem?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So, like, what happens to the people who ordered the full season? And how the hell are they going to end it? Clem explodes? Zombie apocalypse was just a reality show this whole time? Are they going to end it at all?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lareine posted:

So, like, what happens to the people who ordered the full season? And how the hell are they going to end it? Clem explodes? Zombie apocalypse was just a reality show this whole time? Are they going to end it at all?

It was all a dream.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lareine posted:

Nope, rest of it just got canned.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel bad for their employees, not the company, which sounds like it was a shitshow to the bitter end. They told their devs they were fired and then gave them 30 minutes to leave the building?

Seems like they choked down on quality and innovation for the sake of shoveling out titles that all looked alike, and trying to make lightning strike in the same place twice by constantly re-applying the Walking Dead s1 model.

That game hit me so hard, I bought but never played the second season. Felt the humor in Sam & Max and the Strong Bad game was kind of lackluster Wolf Among Us was pretty but frustrating, had a very unsatisfying ending and seemed to have its detective elements stripped out. Then Game of Thrones was an absolute mess of a game and I felt like the standard framework of their games was laid bare. I needed a drat good reason to try one of their games after that.

I 've wondered, in the case of their licensed titles like Guardians of the Galaxy or Stranger Things, did Telltale pay the license holder for the right to use it, or did they go to the license holder and say "we can make your brand stronger if you'll put money into our game"?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

It was all a dream.

Oh, so the massive amount of death and suffering never actually happened? Great! That poo poo sucked! Just silly Clem taking a nap in her treehouse.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’m not sure if they started it, but at the end of each game where they show the percentages of what everyone worldwide chose for the big choices in each game is really, really cool. I wish all games that advertised “your decisions will have consequences, etc” did this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1043349573014642688

heres a spicy meatball for all y'all

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Agent Escalus posted:

There are a few other narrative adventure games that use it. Life is Strange is the most prominent, and it worked well enough to warrant a prequel and a sequel that use the same format.

I thought it worked really well for Hitman, honestly, but it might not have been great for sales.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is wild. I really enjoyed Batman enemy within and becoming best buds with joker.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Now I feel bad about only buying their games during $5 steam or GOG sales. Loved TWD season 1 and bits of S2E1. Borderlands was the best. I didn't get far with the rest though I have the Batmans on my to do list and I'm halfway through Guardians and kinda bored of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://twitter.com/UbisoftStudioSF/status/1043232825095450626

What games does Ubisoft SF work on?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nobody knows. Ubisoft usually does that weird thing where their bigger projects are split and outsourced in arbitrary ways, so that most studios contribute something in one way or the other. For all we know, right now the focus of that studio might be the sophisticated AI for roaming turtles in the next Assassin's Creed game.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so management basicaly played with money they didn't have and eventualy the dam broke.

I want to say that it is unlikely those who were responsible for this mess in management/CEO will ever work in games again but I know that is not remotely true. A lot of the worst CEOs and management continually get rewarded by our system. They'll just run another company into the ground and steal more labor from overworked underpaid staff that they don't even give severance to.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nobody knows. Ubisoft usually does that weird thing where their bigger projects are split and outsourced in arbitrary ways, so that most studios contribute something in one way or the other. For all we know, right now the focus of that studio might be the sophisticated AI for roaming turtles in the next Assassin's Creed game.

Ah yes, the Ubisoft Mystery Cult.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that south park and a few others. they probably do a ton of work for a bunch of other poo poo.

davidspackage posted:

I feel bad for their employees, not the company, which sounds like it was a shitshow to the bitter end. They told their devs they were fired and then gave them 30 minutes to leave the building?

Seems like they choked down on quality and innovation for the sake of shoveling out titles that all looked alike, and trying to make lightning strike in the same place twice by constantly re-applying the Walking Dead s1 model.

That game hit me so hard, I bought but never played the second season. Felt the humor in Sam & Max and the Strong Bad game was kind of lackluster Wolf Among Us was pretty but frustrating, had a very unsatisfying ending and seemed to have its detective elements stripped out. Then Game of Thrones was an absolute mess of a game and I felt like the standard framework of their games was laid bare. I needed a drat good reason to try one of their games after that.

I 've wondered, in the case of their licensed titles like Guardians of the Galaxy or Stranger Things, did Telltale pay the license holder for the right to use it, or did they go to the license holder and say "we can make your brand stronger if you'll put money into our game"?

my guess is a bunch of companies saw walking dead one and hoped they would have the same result. wolf among us worked out well because alot of people don't know the universe well(i only know a some) and beacause they had room to play with the story. same with batman, borderlands and maybe guardians. Strong bad was good and fun though.

Game of thrones was a poo poo show because like I said earlier, its trapped in a TV show between two released seasons where a ton of characters have plot armor.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It sucks that the company that almost singlehandedly revived adventure games as a medium basically ran the genre into the ground with market oversaturation and shaky product quality.

I think adventure games will be okay in spite of this significant blow - but that there's no household name adventure game studio like telltale means it will be removed from public consciousness to an extent.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
This last season of TWD had a very strong start IMO so I'm sad to see it implode like that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Oh telltale’s homestar runner game was also excellent.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

BigglesSWE posted:

This last season of TWD had a very strong start IMO so I'm sad to see it implode like that.

Yeah, after lackluster seasons 2 and 3 it really felt like they were setting up for a strong finish. A shame.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spacedad posted:

It sucks that the company that almost singlehandedly revived adventure games as a medium basically ran the genre into the ground with market oversaturation and shaky product quality.

I think adventure games will be okay in spite of this significant blow - but that there's no household name adventure game studio like telltale means it will be removed from public consciousness to an extent.

I have seen a few give shots at it. but they never have the biggest budget. like The Council. i played part of episode one and it seemed interesting enough. i played their other game blues and bullets which never got finished and it was pretty interesting. id give those a shot.

DrManiac posted:

Oh telltale’s homestar runner game was also excellent.

yeah, that one is pretty great.

Spacedad posted:

I want to say that it is unlikely those who were responsible for this mess in management/CEO will ever work in games again but I know that is not remotely true. A lot of the worst CEOs and management continually get rewarded by our system. They'll just run another company into the ground and steal more labor from overworked underpaid staff that they don't even give severance to.

yeah :(. from my guess goes like this. Walking Dead 1 was a big gamble. the last two games back to the future and Jurassic park had been gently caress ups. back to the future was ok but jurrassic park was buggy QTE shitshow. so they refined that and made walking dead, and it ended up being a giant mega hit because it was actually really loving good. so they make Wolf among us and thats awesome too. now everyone wants to sell their IPs to them. they have so many projects, they don't have time to fix technical poo poo and that starts to catch up with them. the other issues is the illusion of choice starts to be worn away, either because of writing/limits/Issues with the IP. eventualy people stop caring and move on to other games, while the Top brass keep buying any popular IP they can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I remember not caring for 2 as much because everyone was kinda of a piece of poo poo. i went with kenny because while he is an unstable rear end in a top hat, he is loyal to family. he won't go off for a roll in the hey when poo poo goes to hell like whats her name.

• Locked thread