Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

I'm the terrible person who disliked Walking Dead S1 so much I never finished it. (I HATE the zombie genre, so it never had much of a chance)
And I have an extra copy I got in a bundle! Any takers? (HB key, I'm in the USA. Think it's just the base season, doesn't include the 400 days stuff)

I liked the early stuff from TTG, before they became obsessed with tapping into the cultural zeitgeist with BRANDS and the hot IPs all the young people love. Bleah. I like adventure games about obscure stories I never heard of, not more from Marvel, Disney, etc. (Okay, I got the "Back to the Future" game and quite liked it. That appeal to nostalgia worked.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i put off twd season 1 for years due to zombie fatigue and my complete indifference to the twd franchise, but when i finally played it years later i was fuckin blown away by how good the writing and characters were. it's one of a tiny handful of games that i'd say are, in fact, extremely well written, top to bottom.

then season two came out and, welp.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
The slight uproar about Telltale folding means there is a market for their type of games, so I don't doubt there will be a company or two that will move on to exploit that, they'll just have to be less megalomaniac in their approach to it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Max Awfuls posted:

The slight uproar about Telltale folding means there is a market for their type of games, so I don't doubt there will be a company or two that will move on to exploit that, they'll just have to be less megalomaniac in their approach to it.

isn't it basically dontnod.

though I guess we still have to see how life is strange 2 does.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have seen a few give shots at it. but they never have the biggest budget. like The Council. i played part of episode one and it seemed interesting enough. i played their other game blues and bullets which never got finished and it was pretty interesting. id give those a shot.
The Blues and Bullets guys are different developers and they went defunct a few years ago with only two of five episodes of B&B released. It's a shame too, because I liked it and it was going into fun places. I don't regret buying it, but I would definitely give the caveat now that the game will never be finished most likely.

Kurtofan posted:

There's also *Urk* Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games. (I think Until Dawn sold well, didn't it? It was well-received at least.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 22, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kurtofan posted:

Square-Enix just announced a new project with Deck Nine, the studio that developed the LiS prequel last year. Undetermined at this point if it will be another Life is Strange or a unique IP, but it will almost certainly be another narrative adventure game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

The Blues and Bullets guys are different developers and they went defunct a few years ago with only two of five episodes of B&B released. It's a shame too, because I liked it and it was going into fun places. I don't regret buying it, but I would definitely give the caveat now that the game will never be finished most likely.
There's also *Urk* Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games. (I think Until Dawn sold well, didn't it? It was well-received at least.)

I remember hearing the Until Dawn people are making a few sequels for it in the near future.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kurtofan posted:

i played the first one and while i liked parts of it, I loving hated Chloe in life of strange 2. i was never able to feel sympathetic/empathetic for her and writer. I also hated the teen speak and all that poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i put off twd season 1 for years due to zombie fatigue and my complete indifference to the twd franchise, but when i finally played it years later i was fuckin blown away by how good the writing and characters were. it's one of a tiny handful of games that i'd say are, in fact, extremely well written, top to bottom.

then season two came out and, welp.

yeah, apparently the good writers left soon after and went and made camp santo or whatever and then pissed away their talent with meh adventure game. wolf among us and the Batman games are good though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i played the first one and while i liked parts of it, I loving hated Chloe in life of strange 2.
e: you mean the prequel thing right? LiS2 has a new cast and isn't out till the 27th

which, :woop: i didn't realize it was that soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, from what we know so far the new game has little if anything to do with its predecessor aside from taking place in the same universe and features a brand new cast and setting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xaris posted:

e: you mean the prequel thing right? LiS2 has a new cast and isn't out till the 27th

which, :woop: i didn't realize it was that soon

i meant the original game. maybe she is better in the prequel. i also found it kinda hosed up that the only way she is a more positive/less lovely person is if she is quadruple paraplegic mixed with bonitus who wants to die because she is burden and dying anyway. i guess she doesn't have daddy issues then at least. as someone who hates the Magic terminal cripple trope, its kinda dumb.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 23, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

sockgarters posted:

I'm the terrible person who disliked Walking Dead S1 so much I never finished it. (I HATE the zombie genre, so it never had much of a chance)
And I have an extra copy I got in a bundle! Any takers? (HB key, I'm in the USA. Think it's just the base season, doesn't include the 400 days stuff)

I liked the early stuff from TTG, before they became obsessed with tapping into the cultural zeitgeist with BRANDS and the hot IPs all the young people love. Bleah. I like adventure games about obscure stories I never heard of, not more from Marvel, Disney, etc. (Okay, I got the "Back to the Future" game and quite liked it. That appeal to nostalgia worked.)

I mean, that has never, ever been Telltale. Their entire output, since their inception, has been brands. The game that put them on the map is a brand, and not even an obscure one. Two of their games are brands playing poker against each other!

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

The Bee posted:

I mean, that has never, ever been Telltale. Their entire output, since their inception, has been brands. The game that put them on the map is a brand, and not even an obscure one. Two of their games are brands playing poker against each other!

I was quite charmed by those poker games! (And I'm no big fan of poker)

I guess I value the less overexposed (to me) stuff to the super popular, always mentioned on twitter stuff. (I hadn't heard of the comics that The Wolf Among Us comes from before the game came out. After seeing it played I looked up details about the comic... yeah, I was going to pass on reading it and just wanted to see the resoultion to the mysteries in TWAU S1. And now.... that will never be)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

sockgarters posted:

I was quite charmed by those poker games! (And I'm no big fan of poker)

I guess I value the less overexposed (to me) stuff to the super popular, always mentioned on twitter stuff. (I hadn't heard of the comics that The Wolf Among Us comes from before the game came out. After seeing it played I looked up details about the comic... yeah, I was going to pass on reading it and just wanted to see the resoultion to the mysteries in TWAU S1. And now.... that will never be)

That's true. Old LucasArts games, Homestar Runner, and the inexplicable CSI license aren't exactly on the same level as The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Batman.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

The Bee posted:

...the inexplicable CSI license...

Oh wow, I did not know about those. They did several... AND some Law and Order thing.

Will have to indulge my morbid curiosity and check playthroughs of those out.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They could have done a cool Star Trek game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As far as Telltale-alikes go:

A Way Out is a pretty good. It doesn't play like a TTG game at all but it has that same kinda vibe. It's fun stuff, I bought it, I hope it did well overall. It was sold out at a couple places when I first tried to buy it which I hope is a good sign.

Oxenfree similarly (since it's by people from TTG) is pretty cool even though it's not episodic. Spooky teen conversation walking simulator.

Detroit is actually pretty good in a goofy way. Like, it's earnest in its hamfistedness in an entertaining way, and the endings are genuinely divergent, at least. It's openly acknowledged that the best parts of the game are when non-Cage writers took the reins or when the actors had room to improvise (and had to fight Cage to do so) so hopefully that leads them down better paths.

Until Dawn is good, even if it eventually becomes clear that certain characters have plot armor. Fun stuff. Hidden Agenda seemed like it was disassembled and then put back together for the phone gimmick but the studio seems competent and I'l like to see more.

Life is Strange and Before the Storm are both good! The ending to LiS sucks but the rest is good, and Before the Storm is a bit awkward in its chronology but is fine as a standalone. It's fun teen drama.

Blues and Bullets never finished, hahahaha

The Council is janky but kinda good? It's for the kind of person that actually enjoys the alt-history bits of Assassin's Creed. I think if you bought in early it'd be frustrating, but I bought in after episode 3 and it's been a pretty good ride. The idea of having a skill tree for different methods of investigation is pretty cool. I'm willing to support it additionally because it seems like another series using the same systems but getting rid of the jank would be pretty cool.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Telltale also made a game based on bone but it only got to episode 2 for some reason

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://gfycat.com/fr/shabbyagileantelopegroundsquirrel

some leaked footage of the cancelled stranger things game.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kurtofan posted:

Wow that looks the same as their games from a decade ago.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Variety has an update on why Telltale folded so suddently

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/telltale-games-the-walking-dead-studio-closure-1202955309/

quote:

...He also noted that the sudden decision to shut down was connected directly to a failed round of financing.

“The company was working diligently to close a round of financing,” he told Variety. “Unfortunately, when the last potential financial backer abruptly pulled out, we were left in a position where we had no choice but to stop production. Sadly, everyone was so focused on doing what was required to keep the company going that when the last potential partner backed out, there were no other options.”

While Connors declined to note what company specifically backed out, several sources say it was possibly Lionsgate.

Lionsgate last week notified the board that it had decided to stop funding Telltale so it could refocus on its core business. And Lionsgate was cited, one employee said, during the meeting Friday morning as one of several things that led to the decision to layoff the company’s staff.

Lionsgate invested a reported $40 million in Telltale back in February 2015 with the idea of working on a live-action and interactive project with the company called a “super show.” But the idea never took hold.

More recently, Telltale had seemed to have found a liferaft in the form of two new projects it was working on with Netflix. Telltale Games was working to port “Minecraft: Story Mode” to the streaming service. It also was working with Netflix to develop a game based on the popular “Stranger Things” property. But those deals, it seemed were too little, too late.

Sources tell Variety that it wasn’t Netflix that killed the “Stranger Things” deal, but rather that Telltale felt it had to pull out due to a lack of financial backing from investors.

While many employees inside the company were aware the studio had major financial trouble, and that it could close one day, the worst that was expected in the immediate future was another round of layoffs. Many felt that the board would, once more, find a backer and preserve the company.

No one, it seemed, expected an overnight decision dropped on the entire staff....

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

"focused on doing what was required to keep the company going" is a hell of a euphemism for "maintaining a facade of normalcy at the expense of hundreds of employees"

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wow that looks the same as their games from a decade ago.

nah, it's clearly not finished (bugged-out eyes) but the lighting and shaders are far better than anything I've seen from Telltale Tool

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
no idea how this would work when the company is going under and everyone working on E3-4 was already laid off, but FWIW

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1044370808657915905

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Didn't they already boot the team

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Episodes 3 & 4 to be produced in Telltale's Walking Dead Puppet Pal Theatre.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Motto posted:

You would hope that the potential publishing partners would hire those on the former Walking Dead dev team who lost their jobs.

Like not doing that but still going ahead and making the last two episodes would be a big piss.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Motto posted:

I presume if the writing is finished and the actors have recorded their lines, you could just get some developers to help with the art assets and coding so that what's there can be used to finish the story. Even if in the end it's just a bunch of non-interactive cutscenes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lmao just let it die jesus

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You would hope that the potential publishing partners would hire those on the former Walking Dead dev team who lost their jobs.

Like not doing that but still going ahead and making the last two episodes would be a big piss.

It would be really scummy if they were left out. I mean, moreso than the whole situation is already.

Anyway, something more light hearted:

https://twitter.com/shaunfinney/status/1044036209511522304

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
its hosed up they're going to probably farm out development of the final episodes and they fired 100s of devs and left them without severance.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Additional light-hearted stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgAHuSiDkLA

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

its hosed up they're going to probably farm out development of the final episodes and they fired 100s of devs and left them without severance.

might actually give the employees something to recover with the class action lawsuit based on violation of state and federal WARN laws though

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Agent Escalus posted:

I presume if the writing is finished and the actors have recorded their lines, you could just get some developers to help with the art assets and coding so that what's there can be used to finish the story. Even if in the end it's just a bunch of non-interactive cutscenes.

They haven't finished the writing and the actors haven't recorded their lines, Clem's voice actor put out a statement saying she has no idea what happens to Clementine beyond the current episode. If someone makes episode 3 and 4, it won't be the same writers, coders, anything. It's all fanfic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm really glad I stopped buying their games after the first Batman game. It was an unoptimized piece of poo poo that stuttered from the first scene, I never could get it to work properly after any updates and video card tinkering.

Its a shame, I liked Sam & Max and Monkey Island.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Unlucky7 posted:

My opinion of them never really recovered after Walking Dead Season One ate my save file between episodes, but its still shocking and sad to see them go. They more or less kept adventure games alive back in the day when adventure gamers were trying to convince themselves that poo poo like Still/Life was good. In the end, their management problems ultimately destroyed them even after they tried to work past them. :(

Hey, Still Life was fi...tolerable. Sometimes. If you ignored most of the puzzles. And the non-ending.

Now the sequel, oh god what was that

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bewilderment posted:

Until Dawn is good, even if it eventually becomes clear that certain characters have plot armor. Fun stuff.

Old, but: Every character has at least one possible death. They just have specific points in the story where it can happen, or it can only happen after you made specific choices or failures earlier in the game. The "worst" ending even has everyone dead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, but for the two most important characters the only point of possible death is the very last scene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Until Dawn is still a very cool game even when you know the underlying mechanics behind it. I don't think that knowing certain characters were invincible at specific points in the story lessened my enjoyment of it retroactively, unlike some Telltale sequences that made me think "okay well that was a bit cheap."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Azubah posted:

Its a shame, I liked Sam & Max and Monkey Island.

IMHO their biggest mistake was going from the "legacy of LucasArts Studios grand adventures" to "crank out yet another popular IPR visual novel". Sam&Max or Monkey Island (or the other early stuff) may have not been very well-known properties, but the series and their entries were solid, if short adventure games.

EDIT: Well-known related to stuff like Walking Dead, Batman, BTTF and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kurtofan posted:

Good thing they didn't lay off their copyright claims people.

• Locked thread