Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

It's a shame, but also unsurprising. I have a soft spot for Sam and Max and Monkey Island so I'll probably rescue them off my account before their servers go down. Everything else I got won't be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

It's a shame, but also unsurprising. I have a soft spot for Sam and Max and Monkey Island so I'll probably rescue them off my account before their servers go down. Everything else I got won't be missed.

This is exactly reflecting my feelings and my general suspicion on how they ended up being here. They first made money making legit adventure game series and instead of developing anything of their own, noticed that milking the flavor of the year easy money from already popular stuff with a forgettable and quickly thrown together side story-product was lucrative.

At least more lucrative than salvaging old-school Adventure game IPR's or coming up anything of their own. How hard can it be to come up with a cartoonist and draft up "originalish" content? Even as a side-product to test out things and train newcomers until something sticks to the wall?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Final season ep 1 and 2 were better than anything since season 1. Disappointing

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Buck Wildman posted:

I strongly doubt their catalogue is going to completely disappear; if they don't get bought out/acquired (I'd bet by 2k, WB, or Ubi), then they'll have to go bankrupt, and when that happens the licensed IP games and their assets will probably go to the IP owners who'll be able to make use of them, a la how Viacom can sell Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites on Steam long after Interplay's death. (Wonder when they'll put up the Spectrum Holobyte TNG game, never got to play that one.)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Agent Escalus posted:

I strongly doubt their catalogue is going to completely disappear; if they don't get bought out/acquired (I'd bet by 2k, WB, or Ubi), then they'll have to go bankrupt, and when that happens the licensed IP games and their assets will probably go to the IP owners who'll be able to make use of them, a la how Viacom can sell Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites on Steam long after Interplay's death. (Wonder when they'll put up the Spectrum Holobyte TNG game, never got to play that one.)

I'm sure, but that would almost certainly mean buying them again and there's no way I'm doing that. In retrospect I should have bought them on Steam to avoid the issue entirely but at the time I felt like I should support them directly. Alas.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 2, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
in the spirit of the season, telltale's skeleton crew was laid off

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/327978/Report_Telltale_Games_lays_off_remaining_skeleton_crew.php

https://twitter.com/anameformyself/status/1047930803634630657

no minecraft i guess

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Holy moly the management at Telltale shouldn't be trusted to run a Mcdonalds after this. What a wretched, messy end.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Whats a skeleton crew

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tired Moritz posted:

Whats a skeleton crew

It's what the bad guys in Pirates Of The Caribbean became after nicking those cursed doubloons

its also supposed to be the smallest number of people you can have on hand to keep whatever operations you need running which is useful for say the night shift at a hotel but not for a game studio that used to have couple hundred employees and several projects

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/anameformyself/status/1047975335235481600

Apparently , it's just this guy's team who got laid off, and there is still a smaller skeleton crew left.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 5, 2018

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
they just announced At NYCC that skybound will be finishing up the walking dead season

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm sure Telltale will use the money from that deal to compensate the employees who got no severahahaha no.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/anameformyself/status/1047975335235481600

Apparently , it's just this guy's team who got laid off, and there is still a smaller skeleton crew left.
Matryoshka doll of skeleton crews. You break the skeleton crew and it turns into an even smaller one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Walkind dead...lives.
Another company is going to finish the season

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Bumping for news. Besides confirming that there is no buyer and they'll be completely gone soon, here's the most relevant part:

quote:

In regards to Telltale's games being removed from Steam, only certain titles - The Walking Dead, Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island - have been removed, while other titles, such as Batman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones, are still available for purchase.

No word on Skybound's completion of Clementine's story. Can't help but wonder if it's getting rewrites.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I assume Steam'll have the games available to people who bought them? Might go ahead and download them/back them up just for safety.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

davidspackage posted:

I assume Steam'll have the games available to people who bought them? Might go ahead and download them/back them up just for safety.

You're fine, there's been a ton of games delisted over the years and I don't think any of them are unavailable to download if you own them.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fawf posted:

You're fine, there's been a ton of games delisted over the years and I don't think any of them are unavailable to download if you own them.

Yeah Valve in particular makes the publisher agree to allow them to distribute games in perpetuity even if it's delisted from the store. If you have them on a Sony or Microsoft platform you might want to download them now just in case though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ohtsam posted:

Yeah Valve in particular makes the publisher agree to allow them to distribute games in perpetuity even if it's delisted from the store. If you have them on a Sony or Microsoft platform you might want to download them now just in case though.

Sony does the same thing. PS game owners need not worry.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

...! posted:

Sony does the same thing. PS game owners need not worry.

Unless it's PT, that is.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Chev posted:

Unless it's PT, that is.

There's a workaround for PT, and it was a free demo in the first place. They don't do that with paid games.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, until PT we thought they didn't do that for demos either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Are they still going to work out a way to finish episode 3 and 4? It doesn't seem likely with all of these delistings and I know they're in talks but as anything actually been confirmed?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
TWD Season 1 was amazing. Season 2 was in amazing in how far a series could crash and burn.

I bought Batman seasons 1 and 2 right before they closed shop but I can't really bother myself to start them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

TWD Season 1 was amazing. Season 2 was in amazing in how far a series could crash and burn.

I bought Batman seasons 1 and 2 right before they closed shop but I can't really bother myself to start them.

the batman ones are pretty interesting because the flip alot of tropes and poo poo. the issue is your choices are superficial as gently caress at times.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the batman ones are pretty interesting because the flip alot of tropes and poo poo. the issue is your choices are superficial as gently caress at times.

They're also terribly unoptimized.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Chev posted:

Well, until PT we thought they didn't do that for demos either.

There are a handful of demos over the years that were delisted and pulled, and can no longer be downloaded from PSN. Looking at my download history I have about 5 or 6 things that don’t have a visible title and don’t bring up anything if you try to access them.

The 360 Markerplace also had a few things get nuked, most notably the Yaris advergame that Toyota had some bottom of the barrel dev make for them.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Oh hey, the TWD staff got their jobs back and confirmation that the Season Pass is still valid.

Hopefully those final 2 episodes really come together, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It was pretty promising first couple. I have hope

• Locked thread