Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was trying to forget. :(

That's usually the panel that's posted in regards to why that story is horrible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, I didn't post or even mention that panel because remembering the story itself was traumatizing enough.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Dick move, dude...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, that was a thing. Anyway, now for something completely different and far less :stonk:-inducing.

Episode 42: The Heist, Part One

It's finally DLC time, as we try to stop Hammerhead's men from wrecking an art museum... and an old friend we know very well crosses our path once more. Wait, why am I being so vague about this? You all know it's Black Cat because she's right there on the title card, and this DLC episode is all about her.

1440p is still processing but should be done soon enough.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The first episode of the City That Never Sleeps DLC was my favorite, and ended up being the only one I really liked. I thought it was plotted well, and I had just finished the main game, so I was glad to enjoy more of the same stuff I had just dealt with. The combat and collectible searching was familiar enough, no major new challenges yet. Black Cat was entertaining as always. Midway things got frustrating, I'll talk more about that later.

The only major hiccup I'll discuss here is the minigun Brute enemy- and darn it, Doc M, for thinking of stuff I never thought to try on them! Suspension Matrix, a gadget that never came in handy for me in the main game. :) That would have made future combats so much easier! I was mostly using Battle Focus and dodging gunfire while waiting for it to build, then applying the Finishing Move. Repeat. Not as fun as what you did. Trip Mines are also something I should have used more often.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
3/1 odds Black Cat is loving with Spidy on the reason for working with Hammerhead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cokerpilot posted:

3/1 odds Black Cat is loving with Spidy on the reason for working with Hammerhead.

And Peter should relax. If the kid even exists, it's not Peter's. Cat would be yanking Peter's chain so much harder if she actually had a son (I'm not sure I believe her about even that much) and Peter was the dad.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Still, it's totally believable that if Black Cat had Spider-Man's kid, she would not tell him about it unless a situation like this happened. But more likely she would get his help first if he was the father- right?

Spidey is not my biggest nightmare for a superhero whose kid I'd never want to nab, but he's definitely in the Top Ten.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really felt like Spidey was jumping to unwarranted conclusions about Black Cat working with Hammerhead at the museum. Like he said, it's not her style and she could so easily just have used them as a distraction for her own theft. But apparently that's actually what the plot says. Oh well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

Still, it's totally believable that if Black Cat had Spider-Man's kid, she would not tell him about it unless a situation like this happened. But more likely she would get his help first if he was the father- right?

Spidey is not my biggest nightmare for a superhero whose kid I'd never want to nab, but he's definitely in the Top Ten.

That would be my impression, that this is something Cat tossed in at the last second just to make sure Peter would play along with whatever she's up to.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like that brief bit with the goon webbed to the police car where you get to see how intimidating Peter can be when he wants to.

And great to finally meet the PS4 Felicia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

achtungnight posted:

In Amazing Spider-Man, Harry's baby (Normie?) is kidnapped by Doc Ock and a number of villains because it has Goblin Serum in its DNA or some such nonsense. At one point, the baby is thought to be dead. While it later turns out to be alive, Peter doesn't cope with the first revelation very well! So in Amazing Spider-Man 645...

Not shown: Spidey literally tearing a waterfront building in half, dumping a number of his rogues into the ocean, blasting Sandman with Shocker's gauntlet, and threatening Shocker with the same (even though this might kill him) without saying a word.

And that's just one thing that happens in this story! Turns out Spider-Man is very scary when he stops talking.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 6, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

achtungnight posted:

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

In Amazing Spider-Man, Harry's baby (Normie?) is kidnapped by Doc Ock and a number of villains because it has Goblin Serum in its DNA or some such nonsense. At one point, the baby is thought to be dead. While it later turns out to be alive, Peter doesn't cope with the first revelation very well! So in Amazing Spider-Man 645...

Not shown: Spidey literally tearing a waterfront building in half, dumping a number of his rogues into the ocean, blasting Sandman with Shocker's gauntlet, and threatening Shocker with the same (even though this might kill him) without saying a word.

And that's just one thing that happens in this story! Turns out Spider-Man is very scary when he stops talking.
I think it was Stanley Osborn, Harrys second son after he came back after OMD.

And you think that's bad? Try seeing him when his actual kid gets kidnapped:

Not pictured: Peter beating up a bar full of supervillains to get to Rhino.

Oh, and in this reality MJ had the Venom symbiote at the time:

Don't gently caress with the Parkers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 43: The Heist, Part Two

We pick up the trail of Black Cat and figure out Hammerhead's plan, which would be nice and all but unfortunately we also have to deal with the return of a certain D-list villain whose name rhymes with Crüe Ball.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Let me correct you there. Black Cat does have her bad luck powers for the past few years. She has an own ongoing book right now, which kinda rules. The guy who writes it is a goon who sometimes posts in the Marvel thread. Of course that's the status in the comics and not necessary the game.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just want to add my recommendation for the ongoing Black Cat series. It's kind of amusing one of her burglaries took place right by the Sanctum Santorum in this episode, since she just robbed it in the comic.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Let me correct you there. Black Cat does have her bad luck powers for the past few years. She has an own ongoing book right now, which kinda rules. The guy who writes it is a goon who sometimes posts in the Marvel thread. Of course that's the status in the comics and not necessary the game.
I've heard nothing but good things about her ongoing series but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I had no idea they brought back the bad luck powers from the old comics. That's pretty cool.

But yeah, in the game she doesn't have any powers as far as I can tell.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doc M posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about her ongoing series but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I had no idea they brought back the bad luck powers from the old comics. That's pretty cool.

But yeah, in the game she doesn't have any powers as far as I can tell.

Sorry I was a bit unclear. The luckpowers came back way earlier. But they were an essential part in the ongoing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 44: The Heist, Part Three

With some help from MJ, we finally pinpoint the location of Hammerhead's secret vault, which we'll be hitting in the next video. We also get to participate in another Screwball challenge, and this one is actually pretty enjoyable! Wait, what? No, seriously, the gadget challenges really are a lot of fun.

1440p still processing, and so on.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
They’re fun once you get the hang of doing them. The first few times I did one, it was annoying and tedious. Screwball’s commentary really doesn’t help.

Oh btw if anyone cares, Screwball has never really been given an official secret identity in the comics. One adaptation my research turned up had her as Sally Avril, an annoying popular girl I remember from The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon of 2008-9. Another had her as Liz Allan, the love interest from Spider-Man Homecoming, who btw is not Vulture’s daughter in the comics. Shocking, I know.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

One of the backpack collectibles actually mentioned Sally Avril, although I forget which one it was. Probably something to do with Midtown High School since she went there at the same time as Peter.

Sally shows up in the very first Spider-Man story in Amazing Fantasy #15, in one of the first panels (turning down Peter's date invite and going with Flash Thompson, naturally) but then never appears in the main comic again as far as I can remember. She was, however, a major part of Kurt Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-Man, in which she briefly became a superhero named... Bluebird, I think it was. Untold Tales of Spider-Man is on Marvel Unlimited, and I highly recommend checking it out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Peter, you doof. I don't think Cat has a son at all, and if she does he's not yours. This is an elaborate heist Cat's pulling against Hammerhead and you're continuing to play merrily along.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
"If they see me, my son's dead."
Less than two minutes later:
"Mind if I join in? Incredibly visibly?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, secret vault room? All this ongoing talk about her dad?

Hammerhead has something that belonged to Felicia's dad, and she wants it [back].

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Felinoid posted:

"If they see me, my son's dead."
Less than two minutes later:
"Mind if I join in? Incredibly visibly?"

Yeah, I feel like the first DLC has the best story but someone seriously did not proofread that part.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it was Stanley Osborn, Harrys second son after he came back after OMD.

And you think that's bad? Try seeing him when his actual kid gets kidnapped:

Not pictured: Peter beating up a bar full of supervillains to get to Rhino.

Oh, and in this reality MJ had the Venom symbiote at the time:

Don't gently caress with the Parkers.

Oh, I remember seeing some of this comic!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, I remember seeing some of this comic!

It's Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, if people are curious. And it's cool and good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Updating both of my ongoing LPs on the same day? Sure, why not.

Episode 45: The Heist, Part Four

It's the finale of the first DLC episode, in which we team up with Black Cat once more and many truths are unveiled.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
One DLC down, two to go. And yeah, this is the best of the DLC. Next update, we will start to see why. As for how it ended, I too can't say I was surprised. But I doubt Black Cat is dead- no one important ever really dies in comics-connected stories! Even Uncle Ben came back in that one Simpsons episode!

My favorite part of the DLC was the Walter Hardy inclusion. It was cool seeing Black Cat's roots. Least favorite? Screwball. Almost always Screwball.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I saw most of that coming. Main thing I got wrong was that the drives just had money, I thought they had something important to Black Cat Senior.

Black Cat, though, is one of those characters who puzzles me as to why they exist, given that she's Literally Catwoman But Marvel. She and Peter have a fun dynamic, though, I'll give them that.

On a note related to this game, we may be getting Silver Sable on the big screen with the next Marvel/Sony Spider-man movie. No clue how reliable the source of the rumors is, but rumor has it that Sable is planned to be a part of the next film as an assassin hired to kill Peter.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That ending was absolutely underwhelming. Of course Felicias story was a ruse. But the fact that her final price is nothing but generic money is lame.
Also, the final scene was stupid. He warned her that her apartment was rigged to explode and she'd have no reason to distrust him on this. Unless she actually wanted to die for some reason, there is no way she didn't survive that. Peter has a real blind spot for her...

Cythereal posted:

Black Cat, though, is one of those characters who puzzles me as to why they exist, given that she's Literally Catwoman But Marvel. She and Peter have a fun dynamic, though, I'll give them that.

Who's to say that the character was influenced in any way? Clearly, there would have been no time to copy that character during the short period between their conceptions. How would you even do that in just 35 years?

To be fair though, having a sexy female cat burglar in a super hero world isn't the most original thought anyway. At least Black Cat has her luck powers for some distinction. Not in this game, but still.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the reason Black Cat exists is because the writers wanted to try 'Spider-Man dates another superhero' and didn't want to turn a pre-existing character into Spider-Man's girlfriend. Later writers would try that (Brian Reed with Carol Danvers and Dan Slott with Mockingbird), but both times were kinda eh, IMHO.

I want to restate my recommendation you should be reading Black Cat if you want to see her doing considerably more...ambitious heists.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 46: Turf Wars, Part One

Having lost all his blackmail material on the rival Maggia families, Hammerhead goes on the offensive and starts a full-blown gang war in Manhattan. Spider-Man is assisting Captain Watanabe and her men in their attempt to capture Hammerhead, but the metal-headed Maggia mangler isn't going to go down without a fight...

I didn't make up that bit about Hammerhead's name in the Finnish translation of the comic books, by the way. His name in Finnish is Nuijapää, which is a fairly direct translation ("nuija" can cover a variety of blunt weapons such as clubs, mallets or hammers, "vasara" would specifically mean "hammer") and tries to convey the idea that he uses his head like a club to smash his enemies with, but unfortunately his name also happens to mean "tadpole" which makes the poor guy sound even more of a joke than he already is. Languages are fun!

edit: Here's a little bonus: Quips Suit Power Compilation

Some of the quips Spider-Man can make with the Quips suit power (as well as one JJJ podcast from The Heist that I didn't get until after the final mission, and some other silly stuff). This compilation doesn't contain all of the quips (it has none for the escaped prisoners, for example) but there's a decent selection of unique lines for each enemy faction. I forgot to check if there are any for bosses, but if I had to guess they'd only get the generic quips.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 8, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Audio cuts out in the final cutscene of the mission. Thought you should know.

As for the DLC, well, action open is good. Developing and then killing a likeable side character, not so much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Audio cuts out in the final cutscene of the mission. Thought you should know.
Huh. I just watched the scene and it seems to work fine on my end. There is one small visual hiccup during the cutscene (a webline glitching into frame) and I'm not sure what caused that, but the audio should be OK as far as I can tell with my slightly lovely hearing (wear proper ear protection at concerts, kids). Got a timestamp for when your audio cuts out?

quote:

Developing and then killing a likeable side character, not so much.
That cop was doomed the instant he mentioned his kid.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 8, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Huh, maybe it was just my phone. I watched it again and everything was fine. Thanks for checking.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, the final scene was stupid. He warned her that her apartment was rigged to explode and she'd have no reason to distrust him on this. Unless she actually wanted to die for some reason, there is no way she didn't survive that. Peter has a real blind spot for her...

She didn't distrust him. She outright questions why he's going out of his way to warn her about a trap after she just backstabbed him and then mentions that she'll be fine afterwards when he expresses worry.

The way I saw that scene was "I'm going to trigger this trap so Hammerhead thinks I'm dead".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

She didn't distrust him. She outright questions why he's going out of his way to warn her about a trap after she just backstabbed him and then mentions that she'll be fine afterwards when he expresses worry.

The way I saw that scene was "I'm going to trigger this trap so Hammerhead thinks I'm dead".

Yes, I thought so too. But this means it's really obvious that she actually faked this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Way late to the party (saw the thread but apparently forgot to bookmark it till this week).

I got to say I love the MJ in this game. Definitely plays well off of this game's Spider-Man.

"Wait, dated 'people'? As in plural?"
I forgot about this line and it still cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 47: Turf Wars, Part Two

The Spider-Bot gets to stretch its little mechanical legs at the Bar With No Name, as we look for Hammerhead's next target. Naturally, we run into a few complications as we try to stop Hammerhead...