Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
My favorite part of the video, just before the 20 minute mark:

Spiderman: You know, if you'd have just stayed home, you wouldn't have to pay so much for popcorn.
Hammerhead Thug: The hell is that?!

I know it's just odd lines happening next to each other, but I really want to believe that this one Hammerhead thug has never heard of popcorn before and is trying to be educated in the middle of a firefight, because he knows Spidey is the kind of guy to do that.
:allears:

EDIT: Oops. Video on the bottom of the previous page

Doc M posted:

Episode 47: Turf Wars, Part Two

The Spider-Bot gets to stretch its little mechanical legs at the Bar With No Name, as we look for Hammerhead's next target. Naturally, we run into a few complications as we try to stop Hammerhead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 48: Turf Wars, Part Three

No, Screwball, I am not good at this. Thank you for noticing. This episode mainly consists of us dealing with online influencers and visiting Hammerhead's legitimate businesses, but there is also a storyline phone call that sets up what we'll be doing in the next video.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The combat keeps getting tougher. You’re more adept with gadgets than me, so you’re probably having a slightly easier time with it. I didn’t even know you could use gadgets in Stealth Challenges.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 49: Turf Wars, Part Four

I always like it when characters have to be complete idiots in order for the plot to work.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
When I played this part of the DLC, I honestly did not see Spidey missing Hammerhead's intention and true plan as idiocy. I saw it as him falling for the trap head on, heat of battle distracting him, and then boom, exactly as Hammerhead planned. Spidey has a history of falling for such villainous traps. I honestly also didn't expect Hammerhead to pull off something like this. Fisk, Doc Ock, Tombstone- yeah, definitely, but I didn't expect Hammerhead to be that smart. He never came across as such in the cartoons I saw, and I haven't read much of him in the comics. So I excused the development as plot mandated idiocy that was within character for Spidey. It was thus ok with me.

Yuri's character arc I had more trouble dealing with. I honestly had to wonder- if she's obsessed with the Maggia and has a personal vendetta against them, why hasn't the NYPD top brass kicked her off the case? Maybe they're trying, maybe it's harder for a captain to be kicked off a case than a detective, but the plot didn't give us much info on this before telling us "oh, btw, Yuri is being disciplined and has psychological issues with the DLC bad guys". Then the plot steps away from us along with her character before we can stop anything. I got to like Yuri a lot thanks to Spidey bonding with her in the main story and thus I am not a fan of where her arc in the DLC goes. Yes, I know it meshes with the comics but still... I'll say more when the arc continues. Right now, spoilers are in play. So for now, 'nuff said!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The idea of Hammerhead's plan is fine, but I think it'd have been better if Spider-Man had eventually realized what was happening (because those thugs sure weren't subtle about the whole thing) and gone "Oh poo poo, these guys WANT me to follow them! This has to be a distraction! I need to call Yuri right now!" and then you'd get the phone call with Yuri.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Spider-UK is the Brian Braddock of Earth-833. Being a member of the Captain Britian Corps, he already knew all about alternate dimensions and as such played a major role in Spider-Verse - he was the first to notice that Spiders were being killed across the multiverse and the one to start gathering them up to fight back.

You'd think that if you're working with the police, they could tell you the convoy routes in advance so you could have them on your map. I doubt it'd change much about how the game plays but it'd be a nice detail.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Yuri's character arc I had more trouble dealing with. I honestly had to wonder- if she's obsessed with the Maggia and has a personal vendetta against them, why hasn't the NYPD top brass kicked her off the case? Maybe they're trying, maybe it's harder for a captain to be kicked off a case than a detective, but the plot didn't give us much info on this before telling us "oh, btw, Yuri is being disciplined and has psychological issues with the DLC bad guys". Then the plot steps away from us along with her character before we can stop anything. I got to like Yuri a lot thanks to Spidey bonding with her in the main story and thus I am not a fan of where her arc in the DLC goes. Yes, I know it meshes with the comics but still... I'll say more when the arc continues. Right now, spoilers are in play. So for now, 'nuff said!

I'd be more on board with it if the game had even hinted she was obsessed with the Maggia before the DLC (I think even this particular DLC - it didn't seem to come out in the previous one that I recall). I don't think we even hear the name Maggia before the first DLC, let alone from Yuri.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 50: Turf Wars, Part Five

Things went rather poorly for us last time around, and Yuri is out for revenge on Hammerhead and his men. We should probably try to get to Hammerhead before Yuri either shoots everyone or gets hurt (or both, I suppose), but first we're going to need some leads and find out what Hammerhead's "Big Show" is.

Turf Wars is by far the weakest of the DLC in my opinion, and I'm glad we're done with it now. The third DLC, Silver Lining, is definitely an improvement, but that one also has its problems which we'll soon get into.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yuri's arc in Turf Wars really feels like something that should've been saved for the next major game rather than pushed into DLC. Furthermore, Hammerhead being the villain of the next DLC feels like it's extending his role too long when you already beat him up in this one.

I do love the conversation at 21:28, though. It's my favorite goon chatter from this game. :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree with Blueberry Pancakes about Yuri. I also wish she hadn’t gone bad and kept her cool. Cops want revenge on big time crooks in the Marvel Universe, they don’t need to risk themselves. They can just call Frank Castle. I was really pissed that the Spider-Man & Yuri partnership did not extend past the main game. If they make a sequel I’ll really miss it. Oh well.

Doc M already stated my opinions on the quality of this DLC and its final round of missions. Thankfully the third chapter does a decent job of wrapping up most of the loose ends. I look forward to seeing it explored soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

I agree with Blueberry Pancakes about Yuri. I also wish she hadn’t gone bad and kept her cool. Cops want revenge on big time crooks in the Marvel Universe, they don’t need to risk themselves. They can just call Frank Castle. I was really pissed that the Spider-Man & Yuri partnership did not extend past the main game. If they make a sequel I’ll really miss it. Oh well.

Unfortunately, this is who Yuri is in the comics as I understand it.

Then again, a lot of Spidey's supporting cast feel very derivative of other comic characters, more than any other comic hero's cast I'm aware of.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Love the thug at 25:27 taking a hit from a laser beam in the face from his boss then standing up a few seconds later, yeah that seems logical. This one definitely seemed pretty weak sadly, though at least bad for this game is pretty much average for most games. The combat got buffed a little too much, the best Arkham-style stuff works when you have a good flow and they introduced too many things that interrupt that flow in this one. More of the existing enemies might have been better than the shield and minigun guys. Glad to hear it improves next one at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 51: Silver Lining, Part One

Silver Sable is back, and she's far less cordial than last time we saw her.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Using Quad Damage does make this DLC look easier. I didn’t use it and had a lot more problems with that Sable boss fight. She doesn’t really have any key dialogue you missed but it does get repetitive and frustrating if you let it go on too long.

Still peeved about Yuri but we’ll get to that later. Good that Spider-Man shares my feelings.

I liked the truck and jet clipping through the cars too. Sable really needs to market that technology.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't use Quad Damage in the Sable fight, only against the thugs. I was actually trying to do the Sable fight as slowly as possible because I didn't want to miss any dialogue, but did end up missing a little bit anyway because I expected her to have more health. Good to know I didn't miss anything important.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm kinda amazed Sable can just come back into town with no problem considering how she and her goons shot up the place last time.

Also surprised that it took until this DLC to actually get a boss fight against her, even if it is pretty short.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 52: Silver Lining, Part Two

Apparently, Hammerhead's amazing plan was to turn himself into a Handyman from Bioshock Infinite. Whatever works for you, I guess.

Hammerhead's robot body is probably supposed to be similar to the one fellow mob boss Silvermane had in the comics at one point. If you watched the 90s Fox Kids Spider-Man cartoon, you may also remember Silvermane as the old mobster who tried to get his youth back but accidentally turned himself into a baby. Before the DLC came out, some folks actually theorized the "Silver" in the title of the third episode was referencing Silvermane and that he'd show up to fight Hammerhead or whatever, but obviously that didn't happen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm still mad that Hammerhead stole Silvermane's shtick instead of the man himself showing up! :argh:

Also, what an anticlimactic conclusion to the Black Cat thing. But at least we got another Friday joke in there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I would have loved to see Silvermane too. Although of course which version would be a big question. The version from the 90s cartoon that employed Hammerhead? The version from the 2000s cartoon who was Sable’s father? Another one? Might be a can of worms they didn’t want to open.

Good progress through the DLC so far. One question- did you turn off Jameson’s podcasts? He seems a bit silent in recent episodes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jameson's podcasts are still happening, we just haven't heard any in this DLC episode yet. Don't worry, I assure you we'll hear plenty of Jameson in the remaining videos.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 53: Silver Lining, Part Three

While we were saved from Robo-Hammerhead's grasp at the last second, Silver Sable wasn't so lucky and got dragged to one of Hammerhead's underground hideouts and that means we have to get her out of there. Someone also appears to have set up some very strange crime scenes around town...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

:siren: IT'S AN AMAZING, SPECTACULAR, SENSATIONAL DOUBLE UPDATE! (pretend I posted that 60s cartoon shot of the two Spider-Men pointing at each other) :siren:

Episode 54: Silver Lining, Part Four

It's a good thing we're now finished with these hideouts because I really don't have much to say about those at this point.

------

Episode 55 (FINAL): Silver Lining, Part Five

We tie up the remaining loose ends, and team up with Silver Sable to take on Hammerhead one more time.

And hey, you know what that means? That's right, we are officially 100% DONE with Marvel's Spider-Man on the PS4! I didn't expect this LP to go on for this long or end up with 55 episodes plus whatever bonus junk I threw in, but we made it to the end and I hope you had a good time. I certainly did, and I'm glad I was able to show off just about everything in the game. Thank you so much for watching the videos and commenting, that really helped keep me motivated to finish this thing. If you're not completely sick of my voice yet and maybe even want to see more of my content, I've got my Red Dead Redemption LP that I should probably be updating a lot more often... and I also have some other stuff coming up so keep an eye out for that. Until next time, thank you and goodbye!

:spidey:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Thank you for all the hard work and showing of an amzing game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yes, thank you very much.

This is a great game, all complaints aside. I love the combat, the web-slinging, the atmosphere... The DLC is fun too, even if it's just the main game made harder and extended- which it was supposed to be, I guess.

A final word on Yuri. I mourn a great character. I could appreciate the way her final arc of related missions was written, but I still hated it. There are lots of great ways to use and develop characters other than turning them evil- why do modern comic writers have to do that so much? Especially with the lack of buildup Doc mentioned. Oh well, I'm either preaching to the choir or dead air, so I'll shut up about this. Nuff said.

LOL at Miles' Screwball-related mission. And yeah, it would have been more satisfying to just string her up and lock her up, but we got what we got.

Overall, I agree with Doc's review. The DLC would have been better if they left it at just Sable & Hammerhead stuff IMO. Those were the most satisfying bits. Well, apart from the Stan Lee tribute.

I wonder about the sequel. Could there be a Spider-Verse multiplayer game of some kind coming? They have the set-up for it. Eh, I'll play whatever they put out.

This LP was very enjoyable. I will miss it. Hope to see more good work from you down the line, Doc. Excelsior!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know Yuri becomes the vigilante Wraith in the comics and becomes a Punisher-esque character, but I feel the same way about how it was handled here as I do about Gwen Stacy dying in the second Amazing Spider-Man film: it happened too soon after the character's introduction! :argh:

Also, I was expecting something more along the lines of "Hammerhead pisses off Black Cat, Yuri, and Silver Sable, so they all team up to get him." Instead, it was three completely separate DLC stories that happened to feature Hammerhead.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The dlcs also all happened to feature Screwball. (I’m pretty glad we didn’t have to team up with Screwball.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Awesome LP, thanks for showing this one off!