Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

inflatablefish posted:

Subtitles are always a good thing in games like this.
Those will stay on no matter what, I was just wondering about the dark background I enabled for the subtitles. There's also an option to make them larger, but the default font size seemed fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 05: Spider-Cop Is Back, Just Accept It

Today we're taking a short break from story missions in order to fix up the rest of the towers and grab a few collectibles, and of course we'll beat up more thugs along the way. This episode isn't really required viewing if all you care about is the story, but it does feature some of the absolute best JJJ podcasts in the whole game!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 30, 2019

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Oh man, those podcasts are gold. Absolute gold.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I'd never heard of this Swarm guy. Kinda hope he shows up in a movie now.

The under-arm webs did show up in the most recent Spiderman movie, Homecoming. Peter's main suit in the movie has them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The under-arm webs did show up in the most recent Spiderman movie, Homecoming. Peter's main suit in the movie has them.
I remembered that right after I finished recording commentary! :pseudo:

And yeah, Swarm's been a thing in the comics for a long time. He was also in some of the animated series (albeit not the 90s one like I thought) and even had an action figure with SNAP-ON BEE ARMOR, although I presume they left out the bit about him being a Nazi scientist.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 5, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Nazis made of bees" wound up being the most quoted line from this game, if I'm not mistaken. It's in Spider-Geddon, too. Twice.

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I'd never heard of this Swarm guy. Kinda hope he shows up in a movie now.

I think he usually fights Captain America.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I think I fought Swarm in a Metal Gear game- or was that a similar character inspired by him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Pain was an American soldier who, along with The Boss and The Cobra Unit, pretended they defected to the Soviet Union.

Might be inspired by Swarm, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Yeesh, the combat in this game looks brutal for what's supposed to be non-lethal. I think this sums it up nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/dYdW8kU.mp4

I'd suggest watching this video (Warning: contains minor spoilers for some later game abilities)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 06: Am I Demon

As it turns out, the reason for that silent alarm at the Fisk auction was a bunch of masked weirdos taking people hostage as they search for a certain file Fisk had in his possession. Time for some stealth action! Along with the creepy masked dudes, we also encounter some familiar faces...

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 30, 2019

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I love how active Stan is in all the outside media. It feels... I dunno, charming.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Stan is a quite an interesting person. Got to meet him once at a convention and asked him a burning question I had.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Do tell!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, the investigative journalist. The modern day job of choice for Spunky Female Characters, from Ginny Weasley to netflix Karen Page.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cythereal posted:

Ah, the investigative journalist. The modern day job of choice for Spunky Female Characters, from Ginny Weasley to netflix Karen Page.

To be fair, it is also a job that tends to allow for stumbling across plot threads - there's a reason why a lot of superheroes (most notably Superman and the web-head himself) worked at newspapers.

It's worth noting this version of MJ seems to be borrowing from the Ultimate Comics incarnation, where she actually did become an investigative journalist (well, as much as a high schooler can). Of course, as Doc M mentioned in the video, she's usually a model/actress, but there is precedent.

Also, it's a nice touch to have Stan be a Peter/MJ shipper - although he did plan for Peter and Gwen to be the endgame, MJ proved to be the more popular and interesting character. While Marvel Comics undid Peter & MJ's marriage in the comics (which came about as synergy between the comics and Stan's newspaper strip), they're still married in the Newspaper comic to this day. Granted, Newspaper Spider-Man's not exactly the most competent incarnation, but he got that part of his life in order. :unsmith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I understand, there's an AU where they never split up. And last I checked, they're getting back together in the main line universe, too.

It's kind of strange not seeing them as a couple for the last so long. I remember one of the first Spider-Man games I played as a kid was that old PS1 era one where Venom kidnaps Mary Jane due to shenanigans involving Doc Ock and Mysterio framing Spider-Man.

On a side note, Venom could also turn invisible in that game, which I believe makes that the only game that has ever used that ability from the comics.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Lazy Bear posted:

I love how active Stan is in all the outside media. It feels... I dunno, charming.

Godna posted:

Stan is a quite an interesting person. Got to meet him once at a convention and asked him a burning question I had.

Just a heads-up, but until recently Stan was in a very bad situation. He was being abused by his caretakers:

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/10/8/17951276/stan-lee-elder-abuse-interview-keya-morgan

As for MJ's jobs, my favorite recent moment was when Peter found out she was Tony Stark's new assistant, and then went "Two can play that game!", tried to call Pepper and got denied before saying a word. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 07: Shock Treatment

Oh hey there, Shocker. Of course good old Herman Schultz would be here, he's in just about every Spider-Man game ever because since he's just a guy who robs banks and stuff, he's a good fit for an early game boss fight or two. Now, while nobody takes the Shocker seriously at this point, he's actually got a pretty decent track record against Spider-Man and has beaten the wallcrawler on a number of occasions.

In this episode, we also perform some detective work, and finish up with another Fisk hideout. Oh yeah, and The Amazing Spider-Man #31 (which one of the backpack collectibles referenced) was the first appearance of Harry Osborn (and Gwen Stacy, and also the beginning of the classic "If This Be My Destiny" arc).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 30, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember the Enter Electro game, where Shocker was inexplicably the hardest boss in the game. And also the first boss of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That was disappointing, I was expecting some kind of a boss fight, not just a brief chase used to disguise an infodump.

If they're continuing to play up MJ as a journalist who keeps getting into places she's not supposed to be and being playable in small doses, I'm surprised they didn't just make Black Cat the love interest.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Black Cat is definitely the love interest in the comics. Oh sure, he’s married to Mary Jane, but you know he’s hitting the kitten! ;D

And Shocker isn’t a hard boss fight? That’s... surprising.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Oh sure, he’s married to Mary Jane, but you know he’s pounding the pussy! ;D

FTFY

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

well at the time I asked him about his opinions on one more day...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 08: Financial Shock (alternate title: Schultz Shocks Again)

Did you think we were actually getting rid of Shocker without having a proper boss fight with him? Instead of being happy about getting busted out of jail, Herman actually turns out to be scared and desperate because his new employers do not tolerate failure. Meanwhile, Mayor Norman Osborn decides to show us exactly what kind of man he is by doing what he does best -- screwing over those he deems beneath him.

Hope you like the new style of title card, by the way! I thought the earlier ones were a bit bland, so I got the idea to try something a little different from this episode onward. Getting these action shots can be kinda tough sometimes due to the in-game motion blur (which can be turned off, but I kinda like the effect in this game because it's very well implemented), but I'll see how it works out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You have my seal of approval for the new title card style. Keep up the good work!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nice comic cover! There's one shot near the end of the game that I thought for sure was comic cover worthy, so it'd be neat if you used that one.

Cythereal posted:

That was disappointing, I was expecting some kind of a boss fight, not just a brief chase used to disguise an infodump.

Surprise!

The Shocker boss fight was actually shown in a demo before the game came out, but I figured it'd be a good idea not to mention it just in case.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Which Marvel universe does this take place in? Because the Shocker situation seems like the kind of situation where you hand him over to Shield to be safe.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

cokerpilot posted:

Which Marvel universe does this take place in? Because the Shocker situation seems like the kind of situation where you hand him over to Shield to be safe.

A brand new universe created for this game (and whatever the Marvel game from Square Enix is gonna be). Basically they created a totally new universe so they don't have to worry about continuity. And yes, SHIELD is a thing-the Raft is in this game and is run by them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spider-man ate the bagel with his mask still on. Does he have ninja training?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Not sure. As far as him getting it from the FEAST centre, I doubt it. He probably just went to, like, a place. In costume of course. I mean, he has money, he's not homeless. Yet. He'd feel guilty about using a FEAST centre likely.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

As far as him getting it from the FEAST centre, I doubt it. He probably just went to, like, a place. In costume of course. I mean, he has money, he's not homeless. Yet. He'd feel guilty about using a FEAST centre likely.
That would certainly make more sense than him changing clothes multiple times or just wandering into the FEAST Center in his Spider-Man gear. So yeah, he probably just went to a nearby street vendor or whatever.

I like to think that Aunt May and Martin Li (I keep accidentally typing "Master Li" because I SSLP'd Jade Empire last year) have both told Peter on several occasions that grabbing a bite to eat at the center is totally fine because they have plenty of food for the staff and helpers, and Peter has spent enough time at the center to qualify as one of those, but Peter keeps refusing because someone else might need that food more than he does. :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Doc M posted:

That would certainly make more sense than him changing clothes multiple times or just wandering into the FEAST Center in his Spider-Man gear. So yeah, he probably just went to a nearby street vendor or whatever.

I like to think that Aunt May and Martin Li (I keep accidentally typing "Master Li" because I SSLP'd Jade Empire last year) have both told Peter on several occasions that grabbing a bite to eat at the center is totally fine because they have plenty of food for the staff and helpers, and Peter has spent enough time at the center to qualify as one of those, but Peter keeps refusing because someone else might need that food more than he does. :v:

That absolutely sounds like Peter.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the guy who wrote the original spider punk issues is a goon who posts in BSS sometimes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the guy who wrote the original spider punk issues is a goon who posts in BSS sometimes.

These days, there are new issues by him. I think he goes by vulpes vulpes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't know that about Spider-Punk, that is pretty cool! In any case, here's today's update now that YouTube has finally processed the 1440p version (which for some reason also took forever to render in the latest version of Premiere).

Episode 09: Demons on the Prey

As the Demons make their presence known in the city, we go on a buddy cop adventure with our new best bro, Officer Jefferson Davis. Unfortunately, Spider-Cop doesn't make an appearance.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm not great with words, but that dude's way cool.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Home Sweet Home?

As much as paying rent to some rear end in a top hat landlord sucks, the unfortunate fact is that not paying it generally means a bad time. Especially if you don't make backups of all your superhero gadget designs.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 15, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So is there a reason Peter didn't get a job with the police department? He seems like he'd be a great fit for a crime lab or detective office, it would be a terrific source of clues for plots as Spidey, and wouldn't be dependent on the vagaries of academia.

Speaking as someone who works in academics/education and has lost their job unexpectedly, man do I feel for Peter here. :/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Being a vigilante cop wouldn't really square off ethically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Wilson Fisk had enough pull with the NYPD that it took Spidey almost eight years to put him in jail. I expect Peter wouldn't want to link himself with an organization that was that badly compromised.

Yuri seems to be the only cop he trusts enough to work with regularly.