Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I agree Spider-MJ would have been way cooler than what we end up with, plus a great reason to include Spider-Gwen, Spider-Girl, and other female Spidey suits in the sequel. But no, they can't do anything that innovative. :( Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

achtungnight posted:

I agree Spider-MJ would have been way cooler than what we end up with, plus a great reason to include Spider-Gwen, Spider-Girl, and other female Spidey suits in the sequel. But no, they can't do anything that innovative. :( Oh well.

Hey, Miles is great too. There's still a roomful of spiders that could get out and bite MJ in the sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like people have been trying to tweak Miles to be more interesting in recent years, based on Spiderverse and this game, so I'm okay with that.

I just wish that Miles in this game didn't feel so blatantly tacked on. It's just kind of like "Yep, Miles is in this game."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 37 (STORY FINALE): The Hardest Decisions

Aunt May is dying, and Doctor Octopus has the only existing dose of the antiserum that could save her -- not to mention the constantly increasing number of New Yorkers infected by the disease. Can Spider-Man defeat his former mentor and get the cure to F.E.A.S.T. before it's too late for his dear aunt and the people of NYC?

There are a few postgame JJJ broadcasts and other random junk that I decided to leave out of the main episode and put in this bonus video instead. The bonus episode is still processing and only available in glorious 360p at the moment, but the processing for the HD resolutions should be done by the time you finish watching the actual episode.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The ending of the game's main story. Pretty brilliant, I think. I don't like that you're forced into the final suit for the final battle, but then again, I'm not sure what good all the extra Suit Powers like Web Blossom and Iron Spider Arms would do against Otto. Who, I have to say, is made a far more effective villain thanks to his degenerative disease and his determination to keep his arms to alleviate it. I can't remember if he ever had that in the original comics, or if he just had and used the arms. I did like the final battle too- the atmosphere grabs you and even though it ends up just a duck, then strike, repeat fest at the end you're still very emotionally involved. The ending scenes too with first May, then MJ- great character development that comics just seem scared to show based on what I've read. Perhaps they should work on that.

I look forward to the sequel to the game I assume is coming, hope it's pulled off well. This game is a tough act to follow. I look forward to the DLC videos too, much as I didn't enjoy parts of the DLC when I played it, And I'll comment on them more when they are shown off.

Miles- yeah, IMO, a lot about him is "tacked on", so to speak. Perhaps, given time and the right writers, he will sink into the public mind a bit more and it won't feel that way as much. I do like that in this game he and Peter become Master and Student Spider-Men- it's a more effective story than just having Peter die and Miles take up the mantle. I agree they should not kill Peter off in the next game either. Maybe do a few missions where you can play as either one of them, or free roam as either character also? Or even go two player at some bits? That might be interesting. Long as the two player can be online, of course- that seems to be the trend these days.

And yeah, I too would prefer the Superior Spider-Man storyline not be re-visited. That's all I have to say about that.

[grins once again at the final joke of the game including Spider-Cop]

And yes, you can visit Uncle Ben & Aunt May's graves in postgame free-roam. I think Ben's headstone is also a Secret Photo-Op.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 10, 2019

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Peter: I don't know what to do...

May: Yes you do.

Oh god, that hits hard.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I don't like that you're forced into the final suit for the final battle, but then again, I'm not sure what good all the extra Suit Powers like Web Blossom and Iron Spider Arms would do against Otto.
Battle Focus would've been nice to have, if only to have more opportunities to heal. I almost died at the end of the fight there, mostly because I accidentally pressed the web strike button instead of grabbing the debris and then kinda panicked as the camera went a bit crazy and I couldn't really avoid anything.

quote:

And yes, you can visit Uncle Ben & Aunt May's graves in postgame free-roam. I think Ben's headstone is also a Secret Photo-Op.
I did exactly that the end of the bonus video! (I didn't realize the headstone was a photo op, though, because I recorded that clip before I equipped the secret photo op suit mod) You also get a trophy for visiting Ben's grave.

On a somewhat related note, the next "Doc M Talks About Spider-Man Comics" post will be about Amazing Spider-Man #400.

EDIT: Insomniac's CEO posts on Spider-Man's social media feed:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 11, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

cokerpilot posted:

Peter: I don't know what to do...

May: Yes you do.

Oh god, that hits hard.

Yeah that scene was really painful; like you said, voice acting sold it perfectly. Not sure I really like it as an ending choice, but I can't fault the execution at all.

As for sequel talk, I do rather suspect the Superior Spiderman thing might come up as a way to get Miles into things; I could see playing as Peter then swapping to Miles to save him from Doc Ock later on, it would make sense as a "student steps up after the mentor gets taken down" thing in this universe. Hard to say, I expect from all the plot hooks they dropped that they're trying to keep their options very open for choices - In addition to Ock we have Green Goblin hints and Harry seems to definitely be foreshadowing a take on Venom, and DLC adds some more of course; I would hope they don't try to use ALL of them next game though, that would get a trifle crowded story-wise to put it mildly. At least they've shown they don't mind borrowing from existing Spider-Man stuff while still putting their own twists on it, so I have decent hopes for the writing in any sequel.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm just really hoping for a scene where Otto publicly calls Peter out on being Spiderman, and then Miles shows up to the party in a spider suit and goes "You think I'm this dork? As if." in front of a whole room of cameras and reporters. :allears: Anything else is gravy.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Assuming they advance the time-frame enough, I kind of want a mission where Miles has to protect Peter and MJ's wedding from every villain who knows Pete's secret (presumably courtesy of Otto) and plans to interrupt the festivities.

I also want a Spider-Verse related thing where Spider-Cop actually drops by for a visit.

Oh, and I thought of a decent reason for the player to be controlling Miles full-time instead of Peter that isn't "Peter gets killed/incapacitated/brainjacked/etc.": Peter gets inducted into the Avengers and Miles has to hold down the fort while Peter's away on Avengers business.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 38: Untold Tales, Part One

While my content in no way deserves to share a title with the excellent Untold Tales of Spider-Man book which followed the webhead's surprisingly numerous adventures happening in between the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stories in Amazing Spider-Man, I had to come up with some kind of designation for this side content that was recorded during the playthrough but was initially cut out for pacing reasons. So, Untold Tales it is.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Doc M posted:

Episode 38: Untold Tales, Part One

While my content in no way deserves to share a title with the excellent Untold Tales of Spider-Man book which followed the webhead's surprisingly numerous adventures happening in between the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stories in Amazing Spider-Man, I had to come up with some kind of designation for this side content that was recorded during the playthrough but was initially cut out for pacing reasons. So, Untold Tales it is.

OK, speaking as a former biologist, that "dive and swing to get enough G force to break the cell walls on a sample" research mission thing? Centrifuges do that, but they generally work at like SEVERAL HUNDRED effective Gs of acceleration on the low end. Any force that would break up algae cell walls would turn Spider-Man into fractionated Spider-Goo (admittedly, I have heard of some rather warped things done by grad students so wouldn't surprise me if somebody tried that with actual spiders and a centrifuge...). Between that and going into a whole bunch of stuff about vasculitis (a blood vessel disorder) on one of the charts in Osborn's apartment when supposed Harry and his mother were suffering from a neurodegenerative disorder, this game is doing wonders for triggering my biology OCD by getting juuuust enough right details and then screwing up something big. They did the research to sound more plausible than typical comic book technobabble but didn't quite stick the landing. I will grant Peter and pre-villain Otto Octavius actually do a good job sounding like actual smart scientists in the game, so props to the writing in that respect.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really really like that whole last confrontation with Otto. Poor Pete's just trying to come to terms with his father figure actually being a shithead, whether or not it's the tentacles or he was *always* kind of a shithead (you can read it either way given the stuff around Ock's lab). Ock meanwhile is clinging to those arms like an alcoholic trying to hedge for one more bottle, he'll be fine, pinky swear

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 39: Untold Tales, Part Two

Today, we wreck the last Fisk and Demon hideouts and finish grabbing all of the collectibles, as well as locate one of the people Mr. Negative corrupted earlier. Only the remaining Taskmaster challenges, side missions and research stations to go, and then we can get to more interesting things.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Doc M Talks About Spider-Man Comics: The Amazing Spider-Man #400 (by J.M. DeMatteis & Mark Bagley, originally published April 10, 1994)

Not the most cheery of covers to celebrate the 400th issue of Spider-Man's premier book, but there you go. There was also an embossed variant cover because of course there was, and it looked like utter garbage because of course it did (I believe there was a technical problem with the embossing, so it ended up looking even worse). Thankfully, the story itself holds up better than this nineties-tastic gimmickry would have you expect. It does have its flaws, mostly having to do with the fact this was in the middle of the Clone Saga, but we'll get to that in a minute. Speaking of the Clone Saga, it was originally meant to conclude in this issue, but that idea was thrown in the bin long before the issue was written. Even though both of these comics posts have been about stories that took place during the Clone Saga, that's more of a coincidence than anything and next time I'll do something different.

In any event, the relevant backstory here is that Aunt May has been in a coma after suffering a stroke a few months ago, and just woke up in the previous week's issue (Web of Spider-Man #123). The main story of ASM 400 and the main focus of this post is "The Gift", written by J.M. DeMatteis and illustrated by Mark Bagley.

Peter rushes to the hospital after a call from Dr. Caputo, to find Aunt May fully awake and alert and in good spirits. Obviously, Peter is delighted to have her back and tells her there is a lot to talk about, but Aunt May says that can wait until she gets home. She's not spending any more time in this hospital and will be going back home to her family the following morning, and she won't hear otherwise even though Dr. Caputo is apprehensive about her decision.

While the doctor is talking to Aunt May, Peter spots Ben Reilly a.k.a. the Scarlet Spider peeking through the window and shoots an angry glare at him. Honestly, I can't blame Peter because May has just woken up from a lengthy coma and probably wouldn't take it well if she saw Spider-Man or a Spider-Clone staring into her hospital room. Scarlet Spider realizes this as well and climbs up to the rooftop to think about his life. Ben returned to NYC to say farewell to May, but now that May is all right there's no need for him to stick around. He should pack his bags and return to the life of a wanderer, which really wasn't too bad except when this ugly weirdo named Kaine was trying to kill him (Kaine later turns out to be the first Spider-Man clone created by Miles Warren/the Jackal, and hates Ben because Ben is the perfect clone whereas Kaine himself was a failed attempt discarded by the Jackal). Speaking of which, Ben thinks Kaine is watching him right now, but there's nobody there.

Remember when I talked about this story having some flaws? Well, those largely stem from the overarching Clone Saga story, because of course we're going to need to see what the Jackal and various other lovely characters are up to. The Jackal was arrested in WoSM 123 and sent to the Ravencroft institute, which was Spider-Man's version of Arkham Asylum. The Jackal has always been a lame villain nobody cares about, and it didn't help matters when Marvel gave him a radical 90s makeover that turned him from a creepy old college professor in a goblin mask to what seems to be the end result of the Joker mating with the Green Goblin. Anyway, the Jackal is in Ravencroft for now because that's exactly where he needs to be, because his stupid plan requires it or something and I don't really give a poo poo so let's move on.

Back at the Parker house in Queens, Aunt May's old lady super senses detect Mary Jane is pregnant. Aunt May talks about how she remembers when Peter's mom was pregnant with him and how raising a child is the greatest responsibility of them all. As MJ helps Aunt May to her upstairs bedroom and the two reminisce about the old days and how it took forever to even get Peter and MJ in the same room together, Peter wonders to himself why he isn't feeling happier about all this. Maybe he is just incapable of being happy? The Marvel editors would probably agree with that, or at least they have done their best to make it true over the last couple of decades. Anyway, Scarlet Spider shows up and tells Peter that he's leaving and will never be heard from again. Ben wants Peter and his family to be happy, and believes he no longer has any place in Peter's life.

MJ returns from upstairs to find Peter in the basement, watching old black and white home videos. Aunt May looked exactly the same 20+ years ago as she does now, so I guess she's just always been ancient. Peter is still moping after his seemingly last conversation with Ben, but MJ tells him to get over all this clone bullshit and just enjoy his life -- no, their life. Nothing and no one is going to take it away, she says, as the next panel shows some creepy guy in a fedora and trenchcoat staring at the Parker house while making notes on his Apple Newton. This is Nacht, one of the idiots who hang out with Dr. Judas Traveller.

Now, J.M. DeMatteis is a fantastic writer who has created some of the greatest Spider-Man stories of all time, such as Kraven's Last Hunt and Harry Osborn's death in Spectacular Spider-Man #200 (both of which have since been undone -- thanks, Marvel). He's also one of those writers who can do amazing things with less than stellar source material, as we saw in the "Shrieking" story arc immediately before the Clone Saga. DeMatteis took Shriek and Carrion (D to Z-list villains most recently seen in Maximum Carnage) and somehow made me care about them! That being said, Dr. Judas Traveller is an awful character that does not belong in a Spider-Man book and whom nobody can salvage. DeMatteis apparently liked writing him and had ideas in store for him, but... no. Traveller is supposed to be this mysterious and seemingly omnipotent figure who looks like Burt Reynolds in a bad wig and has a special interest in Spider-Man, but nobody including DeMatteis ever did anything interesting with him and eventually he was revealed by other writers to just be some crazy person who only made people think he had immense magical powers that could shape reality itself... which contradicts just about every story we've seen the guy in because he clearly does a bunch of crazy poo poo almost every time he's on panel, but hey.

Elsewhere, Ben Reilly is having second thoughts about leaving, and then we cut to another Peter Parker who is sitting on a bench and trying to remember who he is. This Peter Parker was introduced a couple of issues earlier with the Jackal hinting he might be the real Peter and both Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider would be clones. A cop mistakes him for a drunk and tries to haul him downtown, only for him to escape by climbing up a wall as his spider powers kick in. Naturally, this is another clone, but not just any clone because this one has shape-shifting powers! He eventually fights Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider and dies in an explosion, but is resurrected by Scrier (another mystical weirdo, who is suggested to be even more powerful than Traveller! OoooOOOooo!) and comes back as "Spidercide". gently caress me, the Clone Saga was so stupid.

ANYWAY, let's finally get to the good stuff. A week passes without incident as the Parkers enjoy each other's company, and one day Peter and Aunt May go up to the top floor of the Empire State Building. May and Uncle Ben used to go there on dates because they didn't have a lot of money, and it was better than any movie or fancy dinner because they had each other. Then, Aunt May drops the bombshell.

It's not exactly clear how long Aunt May has known Peter is Spider-Man. It's evident from her inner monologue in the early stories that she has not always known, and DeMatteis realized this so "for years" was deemed good enough. Aunt May tells Peter how proud she is of him and how she knows Uncle Ben would be proud as well. As Peter and Aunt May embrace, she begins to feel faint and says it's time to go home.

Back home, May tells Peter she wants to be with her nephew in her final moments. No doctors, no MJ or Anna Watson, just the two of them saying their goodbyes. What follows is a beautiful and emotional scene that I don't want to ruin with my yammering, so... here.

The aftermath of May's death and her funeral are depicted in complete silence, as is the scene following the funeral service where Ben Reilly leaves a single red rose on May's grave. I can only post so many pages from one issue without getting dinged for :filez:, so I highly recommend you check it out yourselves on Marvel Unlimited or wherever you might find it.

The story should have ended here, but of course the overarching storyline has to show back up and ruin everything. After the funeral, a pair of police detectives from Salt Lake City show up at Peter's door and arrest him... for murder. As Peter is being loaded into the cop car, he notices Scarlet Spider on the rooftop, looking as creepy and suspicious as he possibly can (of course, this was to tease the possibility of Ben being the killer, but that was never going to happen and the actual murderer was always going to be Kaine). Meanwhile, Mary Jane is considering her options. She thinks about calling Matt Murdock, but Murdock recently faked his death so that's a no-go (thanks a lot, Matt), and so is his partner Foggy Nelson because MJ can't remember his name. She eventually just decides to head down to the police station, but before she can get out of the door she runs into Scarlet Spider in the hallway. Ben takes his mask off and says it's time for him and MJ to finally meet face to face, which is about the creepiest way he could've possibly introduced himself in this situation (indeed, the next part of the story starts with MJ slapping him in the face and yelling at him because she thinks he's there to take Peter's life for himself).

The backups in ASM 400 are "A Shock to the System" (Part 1 of "Parker's Legacy") by J.M. DeMatteis and John Romita Jr. and "The Morning After" by J.M. DeMatteis, Stan Lee and Tom Grummett. For some reason, only the latter is included in the Marvel Unlimited release. I'm not going to go too deep into these two flashback stories here, but essentially the first one shows what the Spider-Clone (not yet called Ben Reilly) did immediately after discovering he was the clone, and the second one tells the story of... well, the morning after Uncle Ben's death. Peter tries to cheer Aunt May up by telling her Spider-Man caught the killer, but May doesn't want to hear it as she believes Spider-Man is just some creep who only cares about building up his own reputation. Peter's plan was to tell May he was Spider-Man, but her reaction made it clear that he must never let her know, or at least not until the right moment. Peter's present-day narration then mentions that there was no need to tell her anyway because she knew, tying the whole thing together with the main story of the issue.

"The Gift" is a great story and one of my favorites to this day, even with the overarching plot coming in to try and ruin things here and there. Naturally, it would all be for nothing, thanks to the later idiocy known as Spider-Man: The Final Chapter -- NOT to be confused with The Amazing Spider-Man #33, which is one of the greatest Spider-Man stories of all time and also called "The Final Chapter". This is most definitely not that. (Warning: Weapons-grade dumb poo poo approaching)

A couple of years later, after the Clone Saga had finally wheezed and sputtered into something resembling a conclusion long after any satisfaction could possibly be gleaned from it, Marvel in their infinite wisdom decided to bring Aunt May back to life. See, the Aunt May who died in ASM 400 was actually an elderly actress who was genetically modified to look and sound like Aunt May and took her place while she was in the hospital. The fake Aunt May knew Peter was Spider-Man because Norman Osborn had told her, whereas the real May never had a clue. So, anyway, Peter finds out "May" is being held at Norman's evil science lair, and naturally assumes (along with everyone else who remembers the end of the Clone Saga) this refers to his daughter. Norman had hired a woman named Alison Mongrain (the fact I know this character's name off the top of my head is very, very sad) to get the baby, so she poisoned MJ's coffee to send her into labor, and then replaced her baby with a stillborn one at the hospital. On one of the final pages of the last Clone Saga story, we clearly see Mongrain bring a suspiciously baby-sized package to Norman as he congratulates her for a job well done.

Despite all of this blatant foreshadowing, the geniuses at Marvel decided it'd be better to pull a proper Vince Russo style swerve on the readers, and bring back AUNT May instead of baby May. :russo: So, because this clearly doesn't make Peter seem old or unrelatable or introduce any extra baggage to his life whatsoever, the baby was officially confirmed dead (except in the alternate MC2 universe, where she lived and became Spider-Girl) and the writing thereafter pretended she never existed.

Anyway, that does it for another comics post. It was going so well at first, but I need to go bleach my brain after recalling The Final Chapter. Thanks for that, Marvel. Next time, we'll do something that has nothing to do with clones or idiotic bullshit.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 14, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
To bleach your brain further, I recall a comic where Judas Traveller and Spidey engaged in a “battle for Aunt May’s soul”. I didn’t get beyond the cover but for some reason it has always lingered in my brain as an example of weird comics.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

To bleach your brain further, I recall a comic where Judas Traveller and Spidey engaged in a “battle for Aunt May’s soul”. I didn’t get beyond the cover but for some reason it has always lingered in my brain as an example of weird comics.
The Amazing Spider-Man #402, which if memory serves is pretty much exactly as weird as the cover suggests. J.M. DeMatteis wrote the story for that one as well so it's probably not 100% trash despite falling victim to the Judas Effect, but it's also an obvious example of the Clone Saga spinning its wheels (as the writers prepare for the big Maximum Clonage event and the reveal of Ben Reilly as the "real" Spider-Man) and Marvel generally having no idea what they were doing with the story.

Here's an excerpt of the plot summary from the Marvel fan wiki:

quote:

Peter is then confronted by Judas Traveller. Judas explains that he has not come to fight the wall-crawler, but that he has merely come to observe what happens next. Not buying this, Peter puts on the Scarlet Spider mask and attacks Judas Traveller. However, with his nearly limitless powers, Judas manages to overpower the faux Scarlet Spider. He then begins his test by holding out a globe that he claims to contain the soul of May Parker. He tells Peter that the globe has the power to restore Aunt May to life and good health. However, this comes at a cost, telling him that in exchange it could snuff out a number of lives. He skirts around the actual number, telling the web-slinger that it could be as many as 100 people, or it could be only one insignificant soul.

However, the Scarlet Spider crushes the globe into bits, seemingly sending the soul of Aunt May back into the afterlife. He refuses to believe any of this has been happening, believing that this is merely a series of illusions. However, Judas says he is a being of great power, and decides to show him what the future has in store for him. Bringing him back to reality, he shows him a future where Manhattan is in ruins. He then tells Parker that it is his fault, and the cause of this disaster will prove that he is not quite the hero he always thought he was.
Yep, this is a Spider-Man book all right. :shepface:

From what I recall, Peter dressed as Scarlet Spider for a few issues including this one because his actual costume was damaged or something (edit: I want to say the clone who would become Spidercide actually stole the Spider-Man costume while Peter was in jail, and the suit was then destroyed in the explosion that temporarily killed the clone). It's not like Ben was using it, because he took Peter's place in jail so Peter could be with MJ and their unborn child.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 16, 2019

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Is there any good analysis of why Marvel keeps doing this sort of stupid poo poo with Spider-Man, or is it really just as simple as "the inmates started running the asylum in the 90s and refused to do anything that might move Spider-Man away from being the exact same character as when they were kids"?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Joe Quesada had strong opinions about stuff in his personal life that became editorial character mandates.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Trying to undo the marriage and return Peter Parker to this ideal version that never actually existed (a young, cool and single guy who dates all the ladies but is also a total loser who is constantly miserable and never allowed to be happy or succeed at anything) was a thing long before Quesada took the helm as Marvel's Editor-in-Chief, and the editorial staff and writers of the actual books always seemed to be against a married Spider-Man with adult responsibilities because that doesn't match up with the idea they have of Spider-Man.

The main reason Peter and MJ got married in the first place was that Stan Lee married them in the Spider-Man newspaper comic and wanted the books to follow suit, and since Peter was dating Black Cat and was just friends with MJ the writers had to scramble to make the marriage happen. So, they did, and then they tried a bunch of different ways to undo it because they didn't want to write about a married Spider-Man. One popular tactic was to make MJ as unlikable as possible, either by turning her into a huge wet blanket who always complains about Peter being Spider-Man, or having her pick up a smoking habit, or whatever the Marvel editors decided that particular week (at one point, Spider-Man books would literally include a survey asking whether the reader wanted Peter and MJ to stay together). When none of this worked, they tried to kill her off in a plane crash, but that also wasn't received well so she was revealed to be alive. Finally, they had her and Peter separate, until J. Michael Straczynski brought them back together a couple of years later. By this point, Quesada was in charge, and we all know how that turned out. :devil:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 16, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 40: Untold Tales, Part Three

I AM VENGEANCE. I AM TH--wait, no, that's someone else. In today's Untold Tales episode, Taskmaster's goons get to experience the unholy power of the Spirit of Vengeance, and elsewhere we beat up some more of Mr. Negative's corrupted minions before wrapping up with more science. Only one more side content episode to go, and then it's DLC time!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 20, 2019

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Hey now maybe it wasn't a glitch maybe it was crowds of alternate Sue Richards

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 41: Untold Tales, Final Part

We wrap up the rest of the research station missions and Taskmaster stuff, which means we are now officially 100% done with the main game! Next time, we finally begin the City that Never Sleeps DLC...

Note: This episode is 1080p only because I didn't want to waste any more disk space or rendering time on a throwaway video like this than I absolutely had to. The DLC videos will be rendered at higher resolutions again.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on finishing the main game portion of the LP. I agree with you about the research stations in retrospect, a lot of the missions were repetitive. But they were fun in the end.

I enjoy fighting Taskmaster wearing the Ghost Spider suit for some reason. Heh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This doesn't really have a lot to do with the comic discussion at hand, but there's a really good six-part comic called Spider-Man: Life story that's out now that covers Peter being Spider-Man from the '60s up to ~2010, with beats from major stories that happened during that time. It fast forwards through some things a bit, but it's a pretty entertaining read.

On the topic of the Jackal, I don't know much about the character, but I kinda like what the Spectacular Spider-Man TV series did with him where he basically found out about Connors' Lizard research, started tweaking that to sell to supervillains as enhancement, and blackmailed Connors to keep him from ratting him out. Shame the show died before he could take on the villain identity fully.

DeathChicken posted:

I really really like that whole last confrontation with Otto. Poor Pete's just trying to come to terms with his father figure actually being a shithead, whether or not it's the tentacles or he was *always* kind of a shithead (you can read it either way given the stuff around Ock's lab). Ock meanwhile is clinging to those arms like an alcoholic trying to hedge for one more bottle, he'll be fine, pinky swear

:same:

That last little remark about "I'm sure you'll rest easy knowing your secret's safe with me" was just the worst. But in a good way.

Doc M posted:

A couple of years later, after the Clone Saga had finally wheezed and sputtered into something resembling a conclusion long after any satisfaction could possibly be gleaned from it, Marvel in their infinite wisdom decided to bring Aunt May back to life. See, the Aunt May who died in ASM 400 was actually an elderly actress who was genetically modified to look and sound like Aunt May and took her place while she was in the hospital. The fake Aunt May knew Peter was Spider-Man because Norman Osborn had told her, whereas the real May never had a clue. So, anyway, Peter finds out "May" is being held at Norman's evil science lair, and naturally assumes (along with everyone else who remembers the end of the Clone Saga) this refers to his daughter. Norman had hired a woman named Alison Mongrain (the fact I know this character's name off the top of my head is very, very sad) to get the baby, so she poisoned MJ's coffee to send her into labor, and then replaced her baby with a stillborn one at the hospital. On one of the final pages of the last Clone Saga story, we clearly see Mongrain bring a suspiciously baby-sized package to Norman as he congratulates her for a job well done.

Despite all of this blatant foreshadowing, the geniuses at Marvel decided it'd be better to pull a proper Vince Russo style swerve on the readers, and bring back AUNT May instead of baby May. :russo: So, because this clearly doesn't make Peter seem old or unrelatable or introduce any extra baggage to his life whatsoever, the baby was officially confirmed dead (except in the alternate MC2 universe, where she lived and became Spider-Girl) and the writing thereafter pretended she never existed.

Anyway, that does it for another comics post. It was going so well at first, but I need to go bleach my brain after recalling The Final Chapter. Thanks for that, Marvel. Next time, we'll do something that has nothing to do with clones or idiotic bullshit.

what

Didn't this wind up leading to another good story where Aunt May discovers that Peter is Spider-Man, though? Before Civil War happened?

But then Peter sold his marriage to literal Satan, so I think that was undone, too...

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 29, 2019

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That last little remark about "I'm sure you'll rest easy knowing your secret's safe with me" was just the worst. But in a good way.

I wonder if it would have added to anything to have Doc Ock in Sable's care gloating that he knows Spider-man's secret identity and have one of the nobody grunts respond with, "The Parker Kid? Don't worry, we've got our eye on him." Just going with the theme of "Only Peter Parker thinks he has a secret identity" or if that would have been stepping too much on Aunt May revealing she knows.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

what

Didn't this wind up leading to another good story where Aunt May discovers that Peter is Spider-Man, though? Before Civil War happened?
Yeah, that was early on in J. Michael Straczynski's run on Amazing Spider-Man. Peter had just fought Morlun and barely survived, so he went home and just crashed on the bed while still in his costume or what remained of it, and at some point Aunt May walked into the apartment and found him. Aunt May was worried because Peter had sounded weird during his last phone call (basically, Peter found enough time during his fight with Morlun to find a payphone and tell Aunt May that he'd always love her), so she decided to check up on him. She then left without waking him up, and didn't talk to him until a couple of issues later where she and Peter finally had their chat. It was really good.

quote:

But then Peter sold his marriage to literal Satan, so I think that was undone, too...
Yup! One of the conditions of the deal with Mephisto was that everyone (except for MJ and, obviously, Peter himself), forgets Peter is Spider-Man. Peter had gone public with his identity during Civil War and that was why Aunt May was dying now (having been shot by a Fisk assassin gunning for Peter), so the deal would ensure this would no longer happen. If Peter ever decided to reveal his identity to someone, that person would also regain all of the previous memories of him as Spider-Man.

Maybe the most offensive aspect of One More Day/Brand New Day is the fact they retconned basically everything that happened in the last 15 or so years except Sins Past, literally the worst Spider-Man story of all time. We don't talk about Sins Past. Please, I don't want to talk about Sins Past :gonk:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 29, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, geez, taking that deal by fine print in the usual Satanic way, Peter would also forget he was Spider-Man! And all he needed to do to get MJ back was reveal his identity to her! I never read the story all the way through of course but jeez!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just remembered what Sins Past was. I don't know who asked for that story, but I hope they never do anything like that again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Well, geez, taking that deal by fine print in the usual Satanic way, Peter would also forget he was Spider-Man! And all he needed to do to get MJ back was reveal his identity to her! I never read the story all the way through of course but jeez!
MJ still knew Peter was Spider-Man because everything that happened during the marriage did in fact happen (as Marvel somehow realized their readers would riot if told none of that took place), but she and Peter just weren't officially married. Yeah, none of that stuff actually got erased, while nearly everything else from the last 15-20 years did. It was stupid and made no sense, but at least Joe Quesada was happy.

Speaking of Quesada, I believe it was him who vetoed Straczynski's original idea for Sins Past. That idea wasn't super great either (JMS' run was pretty hit and miss in general), but at least it wasn't the worst thing ever.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Doc M posted:

If Peter ever decided to reveal his identity to someone, that person would also regain all of the previous memories of him as Spider-Man.
The one good thing that came from this was that it allowed some touching moments where he does exactly that to some other superheroes and rather than astonishment or shock they just smile and welcome him back. (I think it was the F4 but I'm not sure, I haven't truly kept up with marvel in almost two decades now.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

The one good thing that came from this was that it allowed some touching moments where he does exactly that to some other superheroes and rather than astonishment or shock they just smile and welcome him back. (I think it was the F4 but I'm not sure, I haven't truly kept up with marvel in almost two decades now.)

You are correct.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm kinda curious about what happened in Sins Past.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cokerpilot posted:

Recently, there was a really good scene with Black Cat. They were long time lovers after all. It turns out, sort of remembering you were with someone really dear to you and not even recalling their face, or name, even though you meet them regularly messes with your mind. This is how they explained, why she went down the hole and became an angry mob boss for a while. She was already feeling a bit better, when he revealed himself, but this really hit her emotionally.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm kinda curious about what happened in Sins Past.
I had never heard of it before looking it up and I want to have my blissful ignorance back. I've read a lot of comics and as far as I know, this was never referenced anywhere, because it's an atrocious plot point which should be buried in the past.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Fine, I'll talk very briefly about Sins Past.

The original idea by JMS was that Peter had fathered two children with Gwen Stacy, and she gave birth to the kids while she was in Europe (which doesn't match the timeline at all because JMS didn't actually read any of the old comics). Due to his spider-powered DNA, Peter's son and daughter aged at an accelerated rate and were physically and mentally adults despite being only 8 or so years old. This was pretty dumb, but we've seen worse.

Then Joe Quesada went "You moron, Spider-Man can't have children or especially adult children, he'll look old and no one can relate to that!" Common sense dictates the storyline would've been axed right then and there, but this is Marvel so they went ahead with it. Of course, now there was a twist -- instead of Peter, what if Norman Osborn was the father of Gwen's children? See, Gwen never slept with Peter while they dated, but somehow couldn't resist the goblinoid magnetism of this creepy 50-year-old man while she was still dating Peter! And hey, since Peter's not the dad, that means the daughter (still an adult because now the rapid aging was caused by the goblin juice in Norman's DNA) can flirt with Peter once she stops trying to murder him!

There is no :gonk: big enough for this. Sometime after One More Day, there was a story which featured the son from Sins Past so the whole thing is still in continuity even though they do their best to never mention it again.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 30, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doc M posted:

Fine, I'll talk very briefly about Sins Past.

The original idea by JMS was that Peter had fathered two children with Gwen Stacy, and she gave birth to the kids while she was in Europe (which doesn't match the timeline at all because JMS didn't actually read any of the old comics). Due to his spider-powered DNA, Peter's son and daughter aged at an accelerated rate and were physically and mentally adults despite being only 8 or so years old. This was pretty dumb, but we've seen worse.

Then Joe Quesada went "You moron, Spider-Man can't have children or especially adult children, he'll look old and no one can relate to that!" Common sense dictates the storyline would've been axed right then and there, but this is Marvel so they went ahead with it. Of course, now there was a twist -- instead of Peter, what if Norman Osborn was the father of Gwen's children? See, Gwen never slept with Peter while they dated, but somehow couldn't resist the goblinoid magnetism of this creepy 50-year-old man while she was still dating Peter! And hey, since Peter's not the dad, that means the daughter (still an adult because now the rapid aging was caused by the goblin juice in Norman's DNA) can flirt with Peter once she stops trying to murder him!

There is no :gonk: big enough for this. Sometime after One More Day, there was a story which featured the son from Sins Past so the whole thing is still in continuity even though they do their best to never mention it again.
It's worth noting that when the OMD retcon came down, JMS begged to use the opportunity to expunge Sins Past, but Quesada refused. So Marvel was more willing to erase Spider-Man's marriage than a story the original creator thought was a mistake.

JMS had a page in Marvel Comics #1000 (their 80-year anniversary special) this week, and his story has a bunch of panels of different characters listing their regrets (Spidey, of course, regrets everything), and JMS has himself saying Sins Past.

Edit: Also the Spider-Man: Life Story miniseries just wrapped up and it was magnificent. I think it's one of those 'must read' series.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 30, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have no idea why anyone thought "What if Spider-Man was cuckolded by his archnemesis?" was a good story to tell.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah that was pretty dire. I would've liked to say that they can't do worst than that, but I fear I'd be tempting fate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah that was pretty dire. I would've liked to say that they can't do worst than that, but I fear I'd be tempting fate.

You heard about the time Peter sold his marriage to the devil, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What you people are neglecting to mention is that Sins Past includes a panel with Norman Osborne's o face