Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Glad to see an LP of this, as a Spider-Fan who doesn't own a PS4.

That was a pretty great first episode.

Now, I'm going to pontificate on The Spidered Man for a bit.
1) I'm fairly certain that the (presumably) QTE with the rubble is a homage to ASM #33, AKA 'that one story where Spidey lifts a bunch of heavy stuff' that has been widely homaged both in later comics and other adaptions (such as in Spider-Man Homecoming).
2) Fisk doesn't really pose much of a threat to Spider-Man on a physical level, which makes him pretty much an ideal tutorial boss. While in most adaptions he definitely kicks Spidey's rear end the first time around, since Spidey underestimates him, in later fights Spidey pretty much the upper hand. If anything, Spidey's usually held back by pulling his punches to not kill him - I think there's been one time where he didn't (in the Back In Black arc where Spider-Man goes around in the black costume to tie in to Spider-Man 3 because the Kingpin had Aunt May shot), and he just loving destroys him.
3) I believe Dan Slott and Christos Gage are two of the writers on this - Slott is basically tied with Brian Micheal Bendis for most issues of Spider-Man written (although Slott was writing the 'main' Spider-Man book, while Bendis was writing the Ultimate imprint to reinvent the character), and Gage was a frequent collaborator on Slott's work. Slott came onto Amazing Spider-Man at the onset of the 'Brand New Day' period, which basically followed on from the aforementioned Back In Black arc and the extremely controversial One More Day, where Spider-Man sold his marriage to the devil (long story, don't ask). Slott was part of a 'brains trust' of rotating writers, and the period was based on getting Spider-Man back to his street-level roots, after he'd spent some time living in Avengers Tower and revealed his identity during the Civil War arc of the comics. Part of that saw the introduction of new characters and villains, including Yuri. I have a feeling that, with her appearance and Fisk getting locked away at the opening of the game, plus Slott and Gage being writers, that we might be seeing more of elements form that era in this game. Which I'd be OK with - while I have a complicated relationship with that era, there's definitely some great stuff to work with. Just as long as Freak or Dexter Bennett aren't in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, Otto's appearance is an interesting spin on the mythos - Doctor Octopus is usually in the myriad adaptions one of the first villains Spidey fights, whereas here he's apparently been Peter's friend and mentor for most of his career thus far. That role that Otto seems to be filling in this game is one that's usually occupied in most adaptions by Dr. Curt Connors, AKA The Lizard, who tends to be Spidey's go-to science guy in situations where he needs help (and the good doctor is not a The Lizard at the time). Peter claiming to be Spidey's tech guy is another Slott invention, I believe - it came up in the Big Time arc. The fact Otto's in this game isn't a super big surprise - he is one of the big three iconic Spider-Man villains (the others being Green Goblin and Venom), and of those the one who's had the most consistent presence of 50+ years of publication, not to mention Slott's favourite - but it's interesting to see him as a supporting character for a change. Kind of takes me back to Spider-Man 2, actually.

As to the webbing question: while Spidey's typical day-to-day webbing has the 1-hour limit you describe, he's been known to make different versions of varying duration for different situations. I can see him using a longer-term one for supply stashes.

Not a super fan of the new suit - but the fact it's not actually Peter's design kind of makes me more open to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eh, Peter's always been crafty. He did invent the webshooters, his spider-tracers, and the Spider-Signal. And as you mentioned Ben Reilly (Peter's clone, who shares his memories up the point of the cloning) invented impact webbing and also stingers (tranquiliser darts that can be shot out of the webshooters). Basically, the main thing getting in the way of Peter being a gadgeteer is lack of opportunity, not talent, since he's usually limited to whatever resources he can scrounge together. In this game, he's not only sharing a lab with Otto, but has his support, so I figure letting him have more tools is suitable.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Lone Badger posted:

Being spider man he really should have poison as well as webbing. Probably not the dissolve-you-from-the-inside-out kind though, more of a paralytic or something.

I think he actually did briefly, during/after The Other.

We don't talk about The Other.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's worth noting that JJJ's rant about the surveillance towers at the start of the episode made me think of an early story from like the 60s where the police are setting up cameras across New York, and a lot of people - naturally tending to be young, more counterculture types - are opposed to it. They protest outside the Bugle, and while people natuurally assume JJJ's going to tell them off, he mainly yells at them for protesting outside his building when he's also opposed to the surveillance, and I believe leads them on a march to City Hall. They take the cameras down (partially because it turns out the guy installing them was planning to let criminials use them to watch the police, befre Spidey stopped it).

So what I'm saying is Jonah has form for largely having decent opinions and values when it comes to non-Spider-Man matters.

Also, those two homeless guys musing about what they'd do with powers went basically directly to Spidey's two careers he's usually had in the various adaptions before he goes into full-time crimefighting. Actually, that kind of reminds me of a minseries called spider-Man: With Great Power, which was set basically in the period where Peter was a TV star. I seem to recall that it had a couple of weird variants of the costume that sort of remind me of the new suit here. It's apparently meant to be 'canon' to the marvel universe, although the fact they got Uncle Ben so amazingly off model makes it hard for me to accept that. Like, when has Uncle Ben in any universe ever had a moustache? Oh well, at least it's not Trouble.

Speaking of comics, Spectacular Spider-Man 310 just came out, and is I dare day a must read. Now you might be asking why that issue. Well, its the end of Chip Zdarsky's run on the book, and he has done what a few writers have done on their last issue, and written Why Spider-Man Is Great: The Comic. It's a wonderful standalone book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cythereal posted:

Ah, the investigative journalist. The modern day job of choice for Spunky Female Characters, from Ginny Weasley to netflix Karen Page.

To be fair, it is also a job that tends to allow for stumbling across plot threads - there's a reason why a lot of superheroes (most notably Superman and the web-head himself) worked at newspapers.

It's worth noting this version of MJ seems to be borrowing from the Ultimate Comics incarnation, where she actually did become an investigative journalist (well, as much as a high schooler can). Of course, as Doc M mentioned in the video, she's usually a model/actress, but there is precedent.

Also, it's a nice touch to have Stan be a Peter/MJ shipper - although he did plan for Peter and Gwen to be the endgame, MJ proved to be the more popular and interesting character. While Marvel Comics undid Peter & MJ's marriage in the comics (which came about as synergy between the comics and Stan's newspaper strip), they're still married in the Newspaper comic to this day. Granted, Newspaper Spider-Man's not exactly the most competent incarnation, but he got that part of his life in order. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I bought this game (and a PS4 to play it on) because of this LP.

I wound up resorting to Friendly Neighbourhood difficulty because I'm bad at video games (and I've not had a console in a while), but I'm having a blast. Thanks, Doc M!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To be fair, it's a 5 v 1 in cramped quarters.

Spidey and Electro are just shouting Rocky references at each other, with Spidey's first joke being a crack about Vulture's real name being the same as Rocky's girlfriend.

Electro gets the joke because he's voiced by a Spider-Man.

Ah, Spectacular Spider-Man, you were too good for this world.

Quick life hack for PS4 havers: There's a free kids' TV app (at least in the UK/EU) called Pop, which actually has Spectacular Spider-Man on it for anyone who wants to check it out for themselves. Also it has the MTV series starring Neil Patrick Harris, which seems a little out there (and maybe a little too mature for Pop's target audience) but still interesting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doc M posted:

Yeah, that whole section feels a bit "It sure was cool when Arkham Asylum did this ten years ago, and it'll be even cooler when we do it!"

I do like the visuals, and webslinging your way through all those giant Scorpion tails is pretty fun, but it's pretty clear this section is in the game only because people liked the Scarecrow segments in the Batman games, and it might as well have been cut out without any impact on the overall story. Also, if you're going to put a sequence with a bunch of weird hallucinations in your Spider-Man game, why not use Mysterio instead of turning Scorpion into the Scarecrow?

I mean, they already did a hallucination sequence earlier with Mr. Negative.

Maybe they decided to rehearse a few times before the main event. :downsrim:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks for the comicsposting! Maybe you should share it over in BSS, too.

Jurgens' Sensational run is on Marvl Unlimited, if anyone wants to check it out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

malkav11 posted:

Storylines being spread across multiple separate titles, sometimes ones about completely unrelated characters during crossover events, is what drove me away from regularly reading superhero comics. Ugh. A nightmare to follow and not infrequently not actually collected together in trades (or by pirates) for whatever reason.
It seems like that's not quite as big of a problem these days, at least. I mean, it still happens a bit, but you can usually read a character's solo book and get away without getting dragged into that sort of thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, darn, we could've had Spider-MJ.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

achtungnight posted:

I agree Spider-MJ would have been way cooler than what we end up with, plus a great reason to include Spider-Gwen, Spider-Girl, and other female Spidey suits in the sequel. But no, they can't do anything that innovative. :( Oh well.

Hey, Miles is great too. There's still a roomful of spiders that could get out and bite MJ in the sequel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doc M posted:

Fine, I'll talk very briefly about Sins Past.

The original idea by JMS was that Peter had fathered two children with Gwen Stacy, and she gave birth to the kids while she was in Europe (which doesn't match the timeline at all because JMS didn't actually read any of the old comics). Due to his spider-powered DNA, Peter's son and daughter aged at an accelerated rate and were physically and mentally adults despite being only 8 or so years old. This was pretty dumb, but we've seen worse.

Then Joe Quesada went "You moron, Spider-Man can't have children or especially adult children, he'll look old and no one can relate to that!" Common sense dictates the storyline would've been axed right then and there, but this is Marvel so they went ahead with it. Of course, now there was a twist -- instead of Peter, what if Norman Osborn was the father of Gwen's children? See, Gwen never slept with Peter while they dated, but somehow couldn't resist the goblinoid magnetism of this creepy 50-year-old man while she was still dating Peter! And hey, since Peter's not the dad, that means the daughter (still an adult because now the rapid aging was caused by the goblin juice in Norman's DNA) can flirt with Peter once she stops trying to murder him!

There is no :gonk: big enough for this. Sometime after One More Day, there was a story which featured the son from Sins Past so the whole thing is still in continuity even though they do their best to never mention it again.
It's worth noting that when the OMD retcon came down, JMS begged to use the opportunity to expunge Sins Past, but Quesada refused. So Marvel was more willing to erase Spider-Man's marriage than a story the original creator thought was a mistake.

JMS had a page in Marvel Comics #1000 (their 80-year anniversary special) this week, and his story has a bunch of panels of different characters listing their regrets (Spidey, of course, regrets everything), and JMS has himself saying Sins Past.

Edit: Also the Spider-Man: Life Story miniseries just wrapped up and it was magnificent. I think it's one of those 'must read' series.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 30, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah that was pretty dire. I would've liked to say that they can't do worst than that, but I fear I'd be tempting fate.

You heard about the time Peter sold his marriage to the devil, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like that brief bit with the goon webbed to the police car where you get to see how intimidating Peter can be when he wants to.

And great to finally meet the PS4 Felicia.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

achtungnight posted:

Still, it's totally believable that if Black Cat had Spider-Man's kid, she would not tell him about it unless a situation like this happened. But more likely she would get his help first if he was the father- right?

Spidey is not my biggest nightmare for a superhero whose kid I'd never want to nab, but he's definitely in the Top Ten.

In Amazing Spider-Man, Harry's baby (Normie?) is kidnapped by Doc Ock and a number of villains because it has Goblin Serum in its DNA or some such nonsense. At one point, the baby is thought to be dead. While it later turns out to be alive, Peter doesn't cope with the first revelation very well! So in Amazing Spider-Man 645...

Not shown: Spidey literally tearing a waterfront building in half, dumping a number of his rogues into the ocean, blasting Sandman with Shocker's gauntlet, and threatening Shocker with the same (even though this might kill him) without saying a word.

And that's just one thing that happens in this story! Turns out Spider-Man is very scary when he stops talking.
I think it was Stanley Osborn, Harrys second son after he came back after OMD.

And you think that's bad? Try seeing him when his actual kid gets kidnapped:

Not pictured: Peter beating up a bar full of supervillains to get to Rhino.

Oh, and in this reality MJ had the Venom symbiote at the time:

Don't gently caress with the Parkers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just want to add my recommendation for the ongoing Black Cat series. It's kind of amusing one of her burglaries took place right by the Sanctum Santorum in this episode, since she just robbed it in the comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, I remember seeing some of this comic!

It's Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, if people are curious. And it's cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the reason Black Cat exists is because the writers wanted to try 'Spider-Man dates another superhero' and didn't want to turn a pre-existing character into Spider-Man's girlfriend. Later writers would try that (Brian Reed with Carol Danvers and Dan Slott with Mockingbird), but both times were kinda eh, IMHO.

I want to restate my recommendation you should be reading Black Cat if you want to see her doing considerably more...ambitious heists.