Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adaz
Mar 7, 2009

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral#article-9.-roughing-the-passer

quote:

a.) Roughing will be called if, in the Referee’s judgment, a pass rusher clearly should have known that the ball had already left the passer’s hand before contact was made; pass rushers are responsible for being aware of the position of the ball in passing situations; the Referee will use the release of the ball from the passer’s hand as his guideline that the passer is now fully protected; once a pass has been released by a passer, a rushing defender may make direct contact with the passer only up through the rusher’s first step after such release (prior to second step hitting the ground); thereafter the rusher must be making an attempt to avoid contact and must not continue to “drive through” or otherwise forcibly contact the passer; incidental or inadvertent contact by a player who is easing up or being blocked into the passer will not be considered significant.

b.) A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

This rule change was made, and widely believed to be influenced by, Aaron Rodgers getting his collarbone broken last year. The rule change was designed to reduce these type of injuries to quarterbacks. Before the season folks believe it would cause a rash of early season penalties and then defenses would adjust and we'd move on with our lives.

We will see if that proves true but as of right now we are on pace for over double the amount of roughing the passer calls this year compared to previous years and some controversial calls to say the least. The NFL has doubled down on the penalties pointing out that rules as written this is being called correctly. It's being appliedto sacks that look perfectly normal to most NFL fans. Others point out that it's being called really inconsistently which has led to coaches getting ready to murder referees.

Old head of NFLs officiating hate the new rules as well, pointing out that the plays are "safe" as it gets in the NFL. Of course, we've had people way overreact to rule changes before with James Harrison threatening to retire back in 2010 over the new leading with your helmet rules. So what to make of all this?

views
Personally, I think this rule is falling into the broad range of stupid rule changes to make the game 'safer' that are being inconsistently applied, poorly worded, and at cross purposes to what football is - a very violent sport. While I am in full support of anything that reduces the risk of TBI and concussions, this rule seems designed to prevent occasional freak injuries such as busted RBs and collarbones. While those are painful (as someone who busted his collarbone last year on a bike can attest to) they aren't life altering. I rather think this falls more under teams and owners wishing to protect their monetary investment in QBs and its changing the game too much.

The NFL is having a crisis around player safety and needs to figure out what its stance is. You cannot remove player injuries from the game as is without removing contact - and even then you'll get plenty of non-contact injuries a la baseball, basketball, and soccer. Right now, the two main drivers for "player safety" is quarterbacks and reducing concussions. One of those (reducing concussions) feels like a worthy goal - changes are necessary to reduce the life altering impact of repeated concussions. Reducing broken bones and torn ACLS? At some point you either need to come to grips with the fact your sport is violent or be more consistent in what players you protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol you mad

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Metapod posted:

Lol you mad

salty af

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
In my opinion defensive players should follow the rules if they don't want to be penalized.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The new rule is poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it would be nice if players other than QBs got some protection.

RBs and WR need more pretty badly.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

chiefs guy (Anthony Hitchens I think?) hit Garoppolo pretty much the same and didn't get flagged so lol maybe if Mathews gets a haircut or something the referees will like him better?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Phobeste posted:

In my opinion defensive players should follow the rules if they don't want to be penalized.

But what is the rule? It's getting inconsistently applied across the NFL. It's also a terrible rule. So we have a combination of implementation issue + terrible rule.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Serious question - would Clay Matthews's sack against Smith this week and his hit against Cousins last week be legal in other football leagues? I'm talking college football, CFL and Arena league.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All this for Aaron Rodgers? And the Packers have been hosed by it? The rule gets my full support. Tony Romo's accordion spine wishes the rule had been around in his last few years.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It's terrible and the "falling on QB" bit is the worst part of it.

It continues happening to the Packers though, so maybe I'm a bit ok with it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As someone who hates Clay Matthews' whole existence and thoroughly enjoys the Packers getting reamed by a bad rule instituted because their QB who keeps hurting himself stupidly, it's a real bad rule and a total fuckup by the league.

It's part of a QB's responsibility to protect themselves from the giant monster men trying to kill them. This rule is real dumb, because it encourages QB's to take big hits. Get down and protect yourself

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If you want to see what a sack is going to look like by the new rules, there was a colts "sack" on Wentz where he never fell onto the ground but they called it dead to protect him?

And then there was of course the Clay Matthews/Alex Smith thing today where he never got rid of the ball - how is that roughing the passer? Thought if the QB has the ball you CAN'T rough the passer. I never thought I'd find myself on the side of keeping the sport dangerous but if this is what safe is then the sport may as well not be played.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I'm just waiting for next week when the QB is running with the ball, Clay tackles him, and it's called "roughing the passer."

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

All this for Aaron Rodgers? And the Packers have been hosed by it? The rule gets my full support. Tony Romo's accordion spine wishes the rule had been around in his last few years.

I tried to research this and unfortunately the long story short is there's no definitive answer as to why the rule came up. The competition committee proposed it, and the NFL owners adopted it. Mark Murphy, president of the Packers, is on the competition committee but the committee doesn't really announce who came up with proposals. They just vote on them and will occasionally take conference calls about the rule changes.

So i'm not sure if it was the aaron rodgers rule or not, although lets be honest -probably.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Diqnol posted:

And then there was of course the Clay Matthews/Alex Smith thing today where he never got rid of the ball - how is that roughing the passer? Thought if the QB has the ball you CAN'T rough the passer.

quote:

When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass)

Like you I thought if they were still passing it wasn't that big of a deal but they made the rule say "during" throwing the pass so it protects them throughout the entire process. If they arent throwing the pass - I.e just tucking or standing there presumably you can smash them to the ground. It's what kalli was referring to as encouraging reckless behavior - you're better off throwing your arm up and getting murdered by hundreds of pounds of muscle than tuck and fall because you can draw a penalty that way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This rule is hyper bad because it's going to lead to plays like this happening more often, where Daniels had Cousins dead to rights but realized at the point of contact that if he followed through he would be landing on the quarterback and draw a 15 yard automatic first down:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DeafeningSpitefulCrownofthornsstarfish.webm

Also this rule is just another manifestation of a greater problem the NFL is facing -- the referees are too loving involved in the game. Every other play gets penalized, every time there's a big defensive stop or score everyone instinctively checks to see if there's a penalty that would nullify it. The tickiest tackiest poo poo is being called and canceling plays entirely because of it. And then you have flat out blown calls!

Get the referees the gently caress out of football, they have no loving place in it. I watch football to watch football teams play against each other, not to watch referees conduct an approximation of football.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
if this is how they want to have this rule they really need to make the rule for sacking the qb if a player has him in the grasp, or poo poo even touched in any way the play is over. as it is right now you have players pulling up because they're terrified of a penalty.

if they don't fix this some dirty DE is gonna say "gently caress it, i'm getting penalized anyway" and try to really injure the QB.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The falling on the qb rule is interesting with the most recent matthews hit because the only thing he really did wrong was leaving his feet, so maybe the NFL is looking at the NHL style of getting rid of "exploding into hits", which I'm fine with. Although writing the rule the way that they did, and explaining it the way they have, is detracting a lot from changing the culture away from violent punishing hits and lining guys up.

The first matthews hit might have been the weirdest from a rules and league perspective. The hawk tacking from the seahawks that the nfl and various broadcast teams have heralded as the future of safe tackling basically relies on bending over ("leading with the helmet") and grabbing the guys thigh ("picking up the quarterback"). If the nfl thinks that getting rid of those tackles involving the quarterback is important to keep the game safe then sure, fine, but there's a training and communication problem that presumably is the nfl's fault. basically everyone that's not the league office has acted like they've been completely blindsided about the implications of the new rule.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I guess the big thing is: how are you even supposed to legally hit the QB now? Hits to the head a are a nope, hits to the legs/knees are nope because Brady died and the NFL views the Pats not making the playoffs a national tragedy, and now hits to the torso are bad because players can't alter physics.

How are DEs supposed to tackle the QB now? Ask them nicely to sit down and touch them?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Bear hug them while standing and then stop moving, hopefully pinning their arms to the side.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Another consideration: with rule changes like this becoming the norm, what talented player is going to choose to play defense? Like OL, you're probably going to see talent fall down.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

axeil posted:

I guess the big thing is: how are you even supposed to legally hit the QB now? Hits to the head a are a nope, hits to the legs/knees are nope because Brady died and the NFL views the Pats not making the playoffs a national tragedy, and now hits to the torso are bad because players can't alter physics.

How are DEs supposed to tackle the QB now? Ask them nicely to sit down and touch them?

You saw this in the seahawks/boys game where a seahawk just grabbed dak, spun him and around and slammed him to the turf. Not against the rules but also very dangerous (still). IT's also something that would never work against a cam newton or ben roethlisberger.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

gonna be like the pro bowl every game

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I for one welcome the death of the NFL.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It's pretty terrible

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

axeil posted:

if they don't fix this some dirty DE is gonna say "gently caress it, i'm getting penalized anyway" and try to really injure the QB.

It's going to be a linebacker, and his name will be Clay.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

It's going to be a linebacker, and his name will be Clay.

At this point, his frustration level is so high, it's either that, or retire halfway through a game.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The worst part is that Rodgers got sacked earlier in the game where the defender spun him around and slammed him into the ground really egregiously and of course no flag there. The refs are biased against Matthews for sure. How the gently caress can it be roughing when the QB has the ball and he literally didn't hit him in the head or do anything bad at all? After two weeks in a row, it's clear the league has an issue with Matthews himself, not the way he tackles.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

The worst part is that Rodgers got sacked earlier in the game where the defender spun him around and slammed him into the ground really egregiously and of course no flag there. The refs are biased against Matthews for sure. How the gently caress can it be roughing when the QB has the ball and he literally didn't hit him in the head or do anything bad at all? After two weeks in a row, it's clear the league has an issue with Matthews himself, not the way he tackles.

It's a bias, but I don't think they have "an issue" with him. It's just, "Oh hey, keep an eye on Clay Matthews, he's been getting penalized for this a lot lately." It's like confirmation bias or whatever, I don't think they're out to get him, it's just when they look at one guy more than everyone else, they see something they don't like more often.

This happens to certain defenders from time to time, it ain't right, but they don't hate his guts personally.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How long before we see an injured elbow or shoulder because a defender decided to just forgo sacking the quarterback and went to grab and pull the throwing arm itself?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Clay said after today's game that they're going to have to go for the ball more, and I think that's what he was implying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wasn't there already a putting your weight on the quarterback rule going back a while, just one that was rarely called? I thought it came about because of Siragusa driving Rich Gannon a few inches into the turf way back when those guys were playing.

Maybe that was a driving the quarterback into the ground thing instead of just putting your weight on him.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

QBs get flag football rules

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

LabyaMynora posted:

It's a bias, but I don't think they have "an issue" with him. It's just, "Oh hey, keep an eye on Clay Matthews, he's been getting penalized for this a lot lately." It's like confirmation bias or whatever, I don't think they're out to get him, it's just when they look at one guy more than everyone else, they see something they don't like more often.

This happens to certain defenders from time to time, it ain't right, but they don't hate his guts personally.

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't care at all that he called out how lovely they are and put a bunch of heat on the NFL's officiating. I honestly do think that they have an issue with him. I mean, that tackle today didn't pass the eye test at all. It didn't even look bad at all. It was just a good sack.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't there already a putting your weight on the quarterback rule going back a while, just one that was rarely called? I thought it came about because of Siragusa driving Rich Gannon a few inches into the turf way back when those guys were playing.

Maybe that was a driving the quarterback into the ground thing instead of just putting your weight on him.

I think you mean the play were Goose bellyflopped on Gannon and knocked him out of the final part of the AFCCG the year the Ravens won the SB.

The best OAK team ever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nystral posted:

I think you mean the play were Goose bellyflopped on Gannon and knocked him out of the final part of the AFCCG the year the Ravens won the SB.

The best OAK team ever.

Yeah that's definitely the play I'm thinking of. Did a rule change come after that or am I just remembering people talking about how there should be a rule change?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

a new study bible! posted:

QBs get flag football rules

QB's will start flopping harder than kickers becoming even more unwatchable.

It currently behooves an interior lineman to wait for an offensive lineman to engage them then try to work around the offensive lineman and hope for an arm tackle. You literally cannot take a straight line without getting penalized. Rule is extremely bad.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope a giant steps on someone!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember when all the controversy was about the "lowering the helmet" rule, not this one? Has that been called yet this season?

• Locked thread