Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember when all the controversy was about the "lowering the helmet" rule, not this one? Has that been called yet this season?

Refs realize that they could call it literally every down on multiple players and be hated more so they enforce this dumb rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make football safer, ban the forward pass.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

I personally like the rule. It will take some time for dbacks to learn they can't tackle the qb where all of their body weight falls directly on them and instead perform more conservative type tackles.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The call on Matthews this week was egregiously bad.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Call in the grasp and I am fine with this rule. Whistle it dead as soon as they are wrapped.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Rule is terrible except when it benefits the titans

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

QB's will start flopping harder than kickers becoming even more unwatchable.

It currently behooves an interior lineman to wait for an offensive lineman to engage them then try to work around the offensive lineman and hope for an arm tackle. You literally cannot take a straight line without getting penalized. Rule is extremely bad.

This is a really good point - innovative blitz schemes that let folks come unblocked are actaully not great right now because that will probably draw a flag if the qb is in the middle of throwing it.

polio king posted:

I personally like the rule. It will take some time for dbacks to learn they can't tackle the qb where all of their body weight falls directly on them and instead perform more conservative type tackles.

But therein lies a problem? You can't arm tackle big QBs, i guess you can wrap them up and throw them on top of you suplex style but that doesn't seem to be helping injuries and strong QBs again aren't going to go down easy. As CMII said going after the QBs arm for hte ball is perfectly legal and also seems way more dangerous than just tackling him.

adaz fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 24, 2018

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

refs have always decided the game. this might be too much but in a game with huge penalties and with very few possessions, the refs have always had an outsized impact on the game. it did not just start with this.

they should still change the rule tho

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The rule change has not negatively effected my team yet (actually its bailed them out a couple of times) but I know that it will and I think that it is a bad rule.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The answer is if you're going to tackle a QB you spear them in the head or knees and take the same 15 yards but injure them badly.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
They've always told defenders to wrap up. Wrapping up kind of causes one to fall along with the person they wrapped.

So... Are we going to start seeing more JACKED UP-type plays where the QB is just lit up with no attempt to wrap up?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
this rule really sucks and it's either going to be changed back to before (unlikely because then the league would have to admit to being wrong) or worse it'll be 2 hands on the qb leading to them being called down and we'll never see another play like the helmet catch.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The call on Matthews this week was egregiously bad.

Kinda like the call on Matthews last week

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Clay matthews has been a terrible overrated player his whole career. No surprise he can't adjust to the modern nfl.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
With Jimmy G hurt what rules do we need to protect the passer?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i've said it before in another flag complaint thread but the nfl really needs to speed up its penalty process. the penalties suck as it is but they also bog down the game completely. do we still need a guy to face the screen and say what happened. if they're gonna keep coming up with new penalties they gotta speed it up

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

this rule really sucks and it's either going to be changed back to before (unlikely because then the league would have to admit to being wrong) or worse it'll be 2 hands on the qb leading to them being called down and we'll never see another play like the helmet catch.

They've already walked back the Lowering the Helmet rule, so it's also possible they walk this rule back too

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1044248725655367681

TLDR; Dolphins DE out for season with torn ACL. Blamed on attempting to not put body weight on QB which caused ACL tear.

Player safety.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When you see anyone cite player safety just go ahead and put [offensive] in front.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like how this rule change is only affecting like a handful of teams, hmmm :thunk:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I like how this rule change is only affecting like a handful of teams, hmmm :thunk:

It's almost like it's being officiated extremely inconsistently.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Diqnol posted:

If you want to see what a sack is going to look like by the new rules, there was a colts "sack" on Wentz where he never fell onto the ground but they called it dead to protect him?

And then there was of course the Clay Matthews/Alex Smith thing today where he never got rid of the ball - how is that roughing the passer? Thought if the QB has the ball you CAN'T rough the passer. I never thought I'd find myself on the side of keeping the sport dangerous but if this is what safe is then the sport may as well not be played.

This isn't true, people keep talking about it but the only requirement is that the QB is in a vulnerable position whether that is before, during, or after a pass.

hifi posted:

The falling on the qb rule is interesting with the most recent matthews hit because the only thing he really did wrong was leaving his feet, so maybe the NFL is looking at the NHL style of getting rid of "exploding into hits", which I'm fine with. Although writing the rule the way that they did, and explaining it the way they have, is detracting a lot from changing the culture away from violent punishing hits and lining guys up.

The first matthews hit might have been the weirdest from a rules and league perspective. The hawk tacking from the seahawks that the nfl and various broadcast teams have heralded as the future of safe tackling basically relies on bending over ("leading with the helmet") and grabbing the guys thigh ("picking up the quarterback"). If the nfl thinks that getting rid of those tackles involving the quarterback is important to keep the game safe then sure, fine, but there's a training and communication problem that presumably is the nfl's fault. basically everyone that's not the league office has acted like they've been completely blindsided about the implications of the new rule.

Yeah that's really frustrating. One thing we can all agree on is that the NFL is amazingly poo poo and estimating the effects of new rules and issuing guidelines for players and refs. Most of what they say doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Leon Einstein posted:

The worst part is that Rodgers got sacked earlier in the game where the defender spun him around and slammed him into the ground really egregiously and of course no flag there. The refs are biased against Matthews for sure. How the gently caress can it be roughing when the QB has the ball and he literally didn't hit him in the head or do anything bad at all? After two weeks in a row, it's clear the league has an issue with Matthews himself, not the way he tackles.

Calm down, they're not biased against Matthews. In fact they were probably more leery to throw the flag than normal because of the controversy last week, but by the letter of the rule that was a penalty. He landed with total body weight on the QB.

The Payne sack should've been a call too, because he "stuffed" Rodgers into the ground. The ref missed it because there were other players in front of him apparently.

SKULL.GIF posted:

How long before we see an injured elbow or shoulder because a defender decided to just forgo sacking the quarterback and went to grab and pull the throwing arm itself?

I was wondering this myself because some of the alternatives to the form tackle are significantly more dangerous but are still legal. We'll probably see more attacks on the throwing arm and more guys getting dragged to the ground which can often cause injuries in the lower body as the joints fold up awkwardly.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember when all the controversy was about the "lowering the helmet" rule, not this one? Has that been called yet this season?

There was one in this weeks bills game I believe. Tre white tackled a receiver who just made a catch, and their helmets collided. I'm not sure how else he could have made the tackle, but on a very technical level it was correctly called.

I can understand the point of these safety rules, but making them 15 yards and reset downs is awful for a penalty that cant be reviewed and is a point of emphasis now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Calais Campbell got flagged for it yesterday on a sack against Blaine Gabbert that gave him a concussion.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

adaz posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1044248725655367681

TLDR; Dolphins DE out for season with torn ACL. Blamed on attempting to not put body weight on QB which caused ACL tear.

Player safety.

tearing my acl to own the libs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Primetime posted:

There was one in this weeks bills game I believe. Tre white tackled a receiver who just made a catch, and their helmets collided. I'm not sure how else he could have made the tackle, but on a very technical level it was correctly called.

I can understand the point of these safety rules, but making them 15 yards and reset downs is awful for a penalty that cant be reviewed and is a point of emphasis now.

Yeah there have been a few, but overall the rule accomplished what it set out to do. You see a lot more tackles this season that lead with the shoulder instead of the helmet (and a lot more going low, but that's another story). Watch a few games from last season and you'll see the difference.

The huge difference between preseason and regular season is that they added to the rule and said "incidental" contact doesn't count. So you basically need to come in really hard with your helmet clearly forward of the rest of your body (and then make contact) to draw the foul.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/feTbR9g.mp4

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
replace flags with banana peels

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Brockers fell on Rivers yesterday and there was no flag, this is bullshit

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Brockers fell on Rivers yesterday and there was no flag, this is bullshit

Was he just hopping around? No flag if ball is tucked away. Only protected if in the middle or shortly after throwing the ball.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think the biggest problem with the NFL is that the helmets and face guards get in the way of the kiss on the forehead.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Good rule and good call. Mathews has been called three weeks in a row, establishing a pattern of sacking malfeasance. Like America's completely fair criminal justice system, three strikes and you're out! Got to protect investments in quarterbacks and continue to make the product further unwatchable.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I can imagine passrushers getting desperate and learning some weird karate chops and then mangling some QBs hand so bad their career is over.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pasaluki posted:

I can imagine passrushers getting desperate and learning some weird karate chops and then mangling some QBs hand so bad their career is over.

That would theoretically be covered as a foul under the current rules, as something meant to punish or intimidate the opposing QB.

There's not a lot that isn't covered, to be honest. I'm not as hot and bothered about all this as some of y'all but the rules are definitely not written in a way that's clear or makes sense

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Meh. gently caress Clay.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pasaluki posted:

They should get the hardened casts the raiders wore in the 70's and use them to smash qbs in their tendons.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Bip Roberts posted:

They should get the hardened casts the raiders wore in the 70's and use them to smash qbs in their tendons.

Yes. Instead of learning stuff like taekwondo and yoga to get to the passer, they need to just apply the techniques of seal clubbing.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
People saying wrap up and whistle will completely solve this dumb penalty. Watch Ben flopping all over the drat place. That's what you're going to get. It's going to actually be worse.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

curiosity hosed me up posted:

Meh. gently caress Clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
*watching tonight’s game* the refereeing seems pretty unusually awful

Not even in terms of misinterpreting the rules, just... it seems like we’re on scab ref levels of refs not understanding what the entertainment standard of the NFL is

It’s like if a pro wrestling ref blew a whistle for throwing a guy out of the ring

• Locked thread