Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hi everyone! Welcome to Timespinner.

What's a Timespinner?

Timespinner is a metroidvania game about Lunais, a young lady with mysterious powers and time affecting artifacts jumping around in time to get revenge for the death of her people. It was kickstarted back in the heady days of 2014 that's finally done with development and is about to come out. Tomorrow as of writing this, in fact. I got a copy, so I'm gonna be taking you through my first adventure with this game.

So, a blind LP?

Yep! Apart from an hour's worth of content I played in the demo, I have only the faintest idea of where I should be going and what I should be doing at any given moment. Expect me to wander, change direction abruptly, and maybe even occasionally get my poo poo kicked in by a boss. If something gets too interminable, I'll cut it out, but otherwise you're gonna get me muddling around, learning things, doing other things probably outside of their intended order.

I won't be going it alone, though. Blastinus will be joining me on this excursion through space and time.

But what's a Timespinner?

Oh, right. The titular timespinner is a device for travelling through time, like a giant loom that opens holes in spacetime. But don't worry about it. It probably won't be important.

I'll try and add character profiles soon, as this game has a somewhat larger cast than a lot of other metroidvanias.

What's your update schedule?

Right now, I'm looking at 2 -3 episodes a week, though that might go up since I am enjoying the game immensely.

For now though, just sit back, and relax as we celebrate Lunais coming of age and becoming a Time Messenger for her clan. Surely nothing bad will happen at her congratulatory party, right?

Right?

Episode 01 - An Uneventful party

Episode 02 - No Time for this Silliness

Episode 03 - Big Drops

Episode 04 - Bioshock Infinite as it truly wished to be

Episode 05- Go beat up a bunch of the people you were about to beat up

Episode 06- If he had a table to flip, he'd be unstoppable!

Episode 07 - Now with double jump

Episode 08- Trying to Find a Feather

Episode 09 - Maximize our DPS reports

Episode 10 - If you've got lightning powers, the world is your oyster

Episode 11 - The crow knows a lot more than he's saying

Episode 12 - You promised me Plot, man!

Episode 13 - I get peckish for war crimes every so often.

Episode 14 - Especially the Night of Passion

Episode 15 - 'A new Costume.' 'I hate it.'

Episode 16 - We just broke time. The end.

Episode 17 - I really shouldn't laugh at your misfortune

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

[reserved]

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game seems interesting. I love metroidvanias and I love convoluted time travel plots, so I'll probably like it.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

This game seems interesting. I love metroidvanias and I love convoluted time travel plots, so I'll probably like it.

Well, it definitely does not skimp out on the time travel front, but we'll get there soon.

For now, Lunais has a mission of revenge, and nothing is going to stop her from it. Not even bureaucracy.

Episode 02 - No Time for this Silliness

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Upturning the table/ cake to the ground in video 1 might be my favorite moment

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yo this is straight up just ecclesia lol that menu looks lifted straight from it.Looks nice though.
Also the emperor calls out to the mom by her name.

One thing I do question is why there is no recoil from a lot of attacks.

e: Oh wow
watching more the blue orbs are the rapier glyph and the blade orbs are the sword glyphs. the collossal blade is straight up the sword glyph union.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 26, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Bacter posted:

Upturning the table/ cake to the ground in video 1 might be my favorite moment

I know, right? It's just so nice.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

yo this is straight up just ecclesia lol that menu looks lifted straight from it.Looks nice though.
Also the emperor calls out to the mom by her name.

One thing I do question is why there is no recoil from a lot of attacks.

e: Oh wow
watching more the blue orbs are the rapier glyph and the blade orbs are the sword glyphs. the collossal blade is straight up the sword glyph union.

Yes, they are definitely a love letter to the Order of Ecclesia Glyphs. We'll find a couple others that evoke other glyphs for certain, but they aren't all just re-sprited Shanoa weapons, and the orb ring effects and that special attack necklaces are not linked to your attack orbs does change things up slightly. Also, there is one later that's probably an even better analog for the rapier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Welp

Just binged through the entire game.
Its pretty good.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 27, 2018

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
It’s hard to draw the line between homage or just straight-up ripoff, but I think this game does enough of its own thing where it’s not just pretending to be Castlevania. At the very least, it keeps a good pace going of plot versus gameplay where there hasn’t been a slow point yet.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Welp

Just binged through the entire game.
Its pretty good.

If not for an especially busy week, I probably would have done so already. It's got very tight gameplay and fun story as well.

Blastinus posted:

It’s hard to draw the line between homage or just straight-up ripoff, but I think this game does enough of its own thing where it’s not just pretending to be Castlevania. At the very least, it keeps a good pace going of plot versus gameplay where there hasn’t been a slow point yet.

You can tell it's pulling heavily from CV in a lot of ways, but it's definitely not content to just rest on those laurels.

In today's outing, we run around looking for a door I didn't mark, buy an accessory, move forward with the plot, and probably do things slightly out of the originally intended order.

Episode 03 - Big Drops

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 28, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

aaaand thats 100% (minus hard mode and a certain thing I ran out of patience to figure out). It's quite short at ~8 hours, and I spent a lot of that loving about for map squares.

Post mortem:
If you ever pined for a sequel to Ecclesia, youve found it.
It lacks a little gameplay refinement, which is to be expected from an indie title, but this is a spiritual successor if there ever were one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 28, 2018

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also it might be worth updating your OP with the new updates as well; at least from that it looks like you're still on part 1.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

aaaand thats 100% (minus hard mode and a certain thing I ran out of patience to figure out). It's quite short at ~8 hours, and I spent a lot of that loving about for map squares.

Likewise, and I'm guessing you're talking about getting the orb without the pedastal? Put simply, time stop.
I'm currently looking for the last square and what I assume is the last familiar

quote:

Post mortem:
If you ever pined for a sequel to Ecclesia, youve found it.
It lacks a little gameplay refinement, which is to be expected from an indie title, but this is a spiritual successor if there ever were one.

I mean, Ecclesia was awesome, so even if it's only 80% Ecclesia, it's still pretty drat good.

discworld is all I read posted:

Also it might be worth updating your OP with the new updates as well; at least from that it looks like you're still on part 1.

And done. Thanks for reminding me.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Can I make a request? Stick on the dialogue for just a second or two more before clicking forward. I'm a pretty fast reader and you're still moving the dialogue boxes through faster than I can read sometimes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Polaron posted:

Can I make a request? Stick on the dialogue for just a second or two more before clicking forward. I'm a pretty fast reader and you're still moving the dialogue boxes through faster than I can read sometimes.

The trick is, during recording, to read out the dialogue in your head as if you were saying it. Leave the box open for how long that takes. Then everyone can keep up.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
gently caress the righthand tower of the castle in the future. i'm supposed to lure this ghost up like twice so far and stop time to jump on these wheels? gently caress you.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

gently caress the righthand tower of the castle in the future. i'm supposed to lure this ghost up like twice so far and stop time to jump on these wheels? gently caress you.

oh God yes that bit is so mean. I would recommend that you leave it alone until you've gotten the upgrade from the true ending final dungeon, which lets you bypass it entirely.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
... uh...

Well, that's a quick way to make me immediately suspicious of Vilete there, what with that incredibly direct 14 words reference. I wonder how the dev'll handle it (I should probably note that I'm... kinda suspicious of them too now, what the hell.)

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2018

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

MShadowy posted:

(I should probably note that I'm... kinda suspicious of them too now, what the hell.)

Suspicious that they might be heavy-handed, unsubtle writers? Sure, that's reasonable. Suspicious that they might be Nazis themselves for being very unsubtle about how one of the bad guys in their game is Magical Hitler? Thaaaaat's a bit of a stretch.

(I don't know if you're suggesting the latter. I actually saw someone suggest that yesterday on another forum, though.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iny posted:

Suspicious that they might be heavy-handed, unsubtle writers? Sure, that's reasonable. Suspicious that they might be Nazis themselves for being very unsubtle about how one of the bad guys in their game is Magical Hitler? Thaaaaat's a bit of a stretch.

(I don't know if you're suggesting the latter. I actually saw someone suggest that yesterday on another forum, though.)

The games story has the subtelty and narrative depth of a brick.
That is on fire
That was fired out of a cannon
The brick is labelled 'brick' with thick black ink.
The event was announced a year prior and tickets were handed out.

There is nothing, absolutely zero things, that you cant take at face value.

What they arent though for definite, as far as one can tell from the game, is Nazis.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Iny posted:

Having not played through the game and with no knowledge of what comes later, my immediate response was that this was a reference that I somewhat doubt most people would pick up on since the knowledge to recognize it is afaik relatively obscure, which was why I felt suspicious over its inclusion. I'm definitely gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since it seemed so incongruous with the plot surrounding it, it's just a weird thing to have done.

And admittedly I'm kinda on edge lately. Sorry.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 1, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Polaron posted:

Sorry about that. They should slow down a little, but at this point all the raw footage is in the can.
I am gonna do an all lore minisode after we finish.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The trick is, during recording, to read out the dialogue in your head as if you were saying it. Leave the box open for how long that takes. Then everyone can keep up.

I'd been trying to do that, and waiting a little after reading it.

MShadowy posted:

Having not played through the game and with no knowledge of what comes later, my immediate response was that this was a reference that I somewhat doubt most people would pick up on since the knowledge to recognize it is afaik relatively obscure, which was why I felt suspicious over its inclusion. I'm definitely gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since it seemed so incongruous with the plot surrounding it, it's just a weird thing to have done.

And admittedly I'm kinda on edge lately. Sorry.

Without spoilers, no, the creator is very progressive, and yes, not even remotely subtle. This is not a secret coded message to skinheads or the like.

In today's episode we meet a dude, fight a giant bird, meet creepy twins, and fight mechanical birds.

Episode 04 - Bioshock Infinite as it truly wished to be

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2018

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
With all this backwards and forwards with time, I wonder if there will there be any Chrono Trigger chests that you need to leave unopened in the past so you can open in the future for a better item, or just multiple copies of the item.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

xelada posted:

With all this backwards and forwards with time, I wonder if there will there be any Chrono Trigger chests that you need to leave unopened in the past so you can open in the future for a better item, or just multiple copies of the item.

As far as I can tell, no there's nothing like that, but someone keeps refilling certain lesser chests anyways, like they're coming around and cleaning up after us. Freaky.

In today's outing, quests, quests, more quests, and again, plot, with a dash of side quest.

Episode 05- Go beat up a bunch of the people you were about to beat up

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Oh man, the Shattered Orb... That carried me through, like, 75% of the game. Its spell is absurdly close range but it hits like a truck and takes, like, next to no Aura.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Blue Orb is the fastest weapon in the game until the endgame and scales well with level, as well as strike damage having a favorable number and quality of enemies weak or neutral to it. All I can notice with the Shattered Orb is a higher base damage and longer range, but it's the Shattered Orb spell thats the real mvp for this and the next few sections of game, but a properly leveled up blue orb with a supporting setup catches up very fast.
And this is a criticism I have of the game, since the orbs level up, and spells level up alongside them (I didnt have the patience to test rings), you are eventually forced into a smaller selection of things youve already been using and/or things that were given a higher base damage so they look favorable compared to earlier orbs you have. It discourages mixing and matching to the situation since you are almost always better off sticking to what you've been using.

And you can jump up to the rock dropping engineers in the first room once you get the double jump.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 4, 2018

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

And this is a criticism I have of the game, since the orbs level up, and spells level up alongside them (I didnt have the patience to test rings), you are eventually forced into a smaller selection of things youve already been using and/or things that were given a higher base damage so they look favorable compared to earlier orbs you have. It discourages mixing and matching to the situation since you are almost always better off sticking to what you've been using.

Yeah, it's the same problem with familiars in SotN and basically any weapon system that has level-ups like this. I will say that there are a few orbs that have a great deal of use from level 1 even in the late game, but I won't go into detail on that.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I do try and trade new orbs in and out as I get them, and give new ones a shot for at least a little bit. Same with the other familiars.

The Blue Orb is the fastest weapon in the game until the endgame and scales well with level, as well as strike damage having a favorable number and quality of enemies weak or neutral to it. All I can notice with the Shattered Orb is a higher base damage and longer range, but it's the Shattered Orb spell thats the real mvp for this and the next few sections of game, but a properly leveled up blue orb with a supporting setup catches up very fast.

And you can jump up to the rock dropping engineers in the first room once you get the double jump.

Speaking of the Double Jump...

Episode 06- If he had a table to flip, he'd be unstoppable!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

So, to explain the Sprite: You know how Meyef spits fire at enemies sometimes? Well, the sprite gives you a miniscule heal at a similar interval. Like, 6 HP or some nonsense.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I noticed that after rewatching the video, but boy, they don't make that obvious at all. Your health just spontaneously goes up without any sounds or effects at all. Not even a quick notification of "6 HP gained". Feels like a failure of design, if you ask me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a little green number that pops out when it heals you. I have no idea how well it scales with level but level 0/1 healed about 6 HP.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Theres a little green number that pops out when it heals you. I have no idea how well it scales with level but level 0/1 healed about 6 HP.

Yeah, I didn't notice that at all, honestly.

In today's outing, having gained the means by which to progress the plot, we do exactly not that.

Episode 07 - Now with double jump

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

The Bombardment spell does several high-power hits. The reason you didn't see many results is because you were using it on enemies that fell apart after two. Try it on a boss.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lazy Bear posted:

The Bombardment spell does several high-power hits. The reason you didn't see many results is because you were using it on enemies that fell apart after two. Try it on a boss.

Also theyre how I destroyed the Idol boss in less than a minute.
Bombardment makes absolute swiss cheese of anything weak to strike damage, which the Cheveurs arent in general.

And how could you not recognize Mr. Hat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 8, 2018

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Bombardment makes absolute swiss cheese of anything weak to strike damage, which the Cheveurs arent in general.

Just bosses in general, really. Unless they're super mobile bastards, you get an enormous bang for a frankly infinitesimal amount of Aura cost.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

And how could you not recognize Mr. Hat.

Just because I didn't call it out doesn't mean I didn't recognize it.

Lazy Bear posted:

Just bosses in general, really. Unless they're super mobile bastards, you get an enormous bang for a frankly infinitesimal amount of Aura cost.

Yeah, post- recording testing has revealed it to be pretty decent, though to use it properly with my preferred style of super on approach I'd need to rebind the spell button to the shoulder, which wouldn't be too bad an idea, really.

In today's outing, I doggedly search for the very specific feather the sick guy needs, and then lacking anything better to do, return to engaging in the plot.

Episode 08- Trying to Find a Feather

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Iny posted:

oh God yes that bit is so mean. I would recommend that you leave it alone until you've gotten the upgrade from the true ending final dungeon, which lets you bypass it entirely.

Just use the Light orb special instead. You get it from completing the side-quest lines

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I used Sprite through the main story just because none of the familiars really do that much damage, and the Sprite's healing does add up a bit and help avoid attrition. You can probably just use whichever familiar you think is cutest and come out about the same, though.

And yeah, Bombardment is actually amazing. It's just too strong to show any difference on enemies as weak as you were using it on, since any other spell one-shots them too.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Regarding the chests, if this is as much like Order of Ecclesia as all the other details suggest it is, then they have a chance to be rare chests and a chance to be common chests, and it's re-rolled when you leave and re-enter the area. Wooden ones in this case would be common, and metal ones would be rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

Regarding the chests, if this is as much like Order of Ecclesia as all the other details suggest it is, then they have a chance to be rare chests and a chance to be common chests, and it's re-rolled when you leave and re-enter the area. Wooden ones in this case would be common, and metal ones would be rare.

Nah, it's just about what's in them. Chests with parts you use with Nel and chests with stat ups don't refresh. Literally all other ones do.