Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Lazy Bear posted:

Nah, it's just about what's in them. Chests with parts you use with Nel and chests with stat ups don't refresh. Literally all other ones do.

Yeah, but the chests that are refilled do work like he says - that chest that had Silver Ore has a chance to be a common item when you enter the area (an antidote, I think) and a smaller chance to be a rare one (silver ore in this case). The two have different chest sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

iirc each area has a commons and rares chest, though their placement isnt random. if you find a rare chest itll still be a rare chest when you come back later, same with commons.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hi folks, sorry for the late episode, been both busy and a bit exhausted today.

In today's outing, we fight, look around for the next step of the plot, and talk about one of the strangest and silliest time travel stories I can remember.

Episode 09 - Maximize our DPS reports

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hi everyone. Today we fight an interplanetary butthole. And other things, but always lead with your strengths, you know?

Episode 10 - If you've got lightning powers, the world is your oyster

And this is the last episode of this recording cycle, so expect Blastinus and I to be a lot better informed in the next few episodes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW the Cheveur tanks and whatnot are explicitly stated to be based off "an extinct species" in the bestiary so no cyborgs here.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

BTW the Cheveur tanks and whatnot are explicitly stated to be based off "an extinct species" in the bestiary so no cyborgs here.

An explanation for the robots and why theyre based off of flora/fauna is found later in the game.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

An explanation for the robots and why theyre based off of flora/fauna is found later in the game.

Yep. At the time of that recording I hadn't gotten there yet. Going forward, I'm a little more informed having completed the game a couple times over.

Speaking of well informed...

Episode 11 - The crow knows a lot more than he's saying

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

And speaking of the robotic flora and fauna, in today's episode we're heading into the Robotics/ Demonic Bioscience facility today. After a couple sidequests.

Episode 12 - You promised me Plot, man!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OP isn't joking, you can really fly through the game with the dash. And the light orb spell.

Unfortunately the military laser gate is a hard gate to sequence breaking.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The worst thing
the absolute worst thing
in the handheld Castlevanias is choosing whether I want to dash or use a combat move, and make me go into the menu to switch.
Timespinner lets me have that cake and eat it.

Also game remains hella straightforward.
I was honestly expecting the emperor to be a bit (just a weensy bit) more nuanced from the beginning but 'You can't Keep her from me/I'll find you bitch" just threw any hope of that straight out the window. Not even nuanced in the 'he has a salient point' way, but in the 'WHAT IS A MAN' kind of way.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 21, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh this game. I beat it a couple times on Normal and Nightmare and am partway through a NG+ run of Nightmare (Level 1). I just managed to beat the Golden Idol (Succubus Twins) boss without taking damage or using time stop. That's easier on a NG+ where you keep all your orbs, necklaces and rings and such. Oddly enough, the boss was super easy, it was avoiding the twins laugh/dance across the screen in phase 1 which I had trouble with.

If you backed it, you should put in the password for the Umbra Orb. It's not that interesting, but it does Darkness damage, and the only other orb in the game which does that is hidden in a secret passage you already missed. In the Castle Dungeon.

A tip to finding secret areas: They are always separate rooms, and so that means you only need to check edges which lead to black squares. There are never any secrets on an edge which has an explored square past it.

The Blue Orb is the fastest weapon in the game until the endgame and scales well with level, as well as strike damage having a favorable number and quality of enemies weak or neutral to it. All I can notice with the Shattered Orb is a higher base damage and longer range, but it's the Shattered Orb spell thats the real mvp for this and the next few sections of game, but a properly leveled up blue orb with a supporting setup catches up very fast.

Interesting. I pretty much ignored the close-range spells because I felt that the whole point of the spells is a long-range attack, and a second melee attack, even a powerful one, didn't seem that useful. I do like the shattered orb for the multiple hits it delivers, though.

The Blue Orb is okay, but it's rather uninteresting and there are a LOT of orbs in the game, probably too many for how short the length is, so I didn't really have much use for the Blue Orb after getting the Shattered Orb.

Your main source for damage is gaining levels, Orbs don't gain much damage as they level, so new level 1 orbs should compare favorably unless you've been grinding a lot, and you can use Elemental Beads to pump up the level of low-level orbs.

As for Familiars, I always found the Griffin before the Sprite, and ditch it for good as soon as I get the Sprite. Enemies have low health anyway, so I find the healing to be more useful than the damage familiars deal out. The healing scales. And I will note that I made no effort whatsoever into trying to level familiars up.

Speaking of orbs, there are 8 damage types: Blunt (Blue, Iron, Shattered), Sharp (Blade, Wind), Fire, Ice, Plasma, Aura, Light, Dark. Only Blunt and Sharp have multiple orbs associated with them. Well, and Dark if you're a Kickstarter backer.

Something to show off: Get a Royal Advisor Hat and Robe to drop from Advisors in the Royal Tower, wear them, and talk to the Librarian.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Speaking of orbs, there are 8 damage types: Blunt (Blue, Iron, Shattered), Sharp (Blade, Wind), Fire, Ice, Plasma, Aura, Light, Dark. Only Blunt and Sharp have multiple orbs associated with them. Well, and Dark if you're a Kickstarter backer.

Something to show off: Get a Royal Advisor Hat and Robe to drop from Advisors in the Royal Tower, wear them, and talk to the Librarian.

I'll need to put in my code, and check out the Librarian's response. I did find the Dark orb you mentioned, just... after I finished the game.

Also Hi! My week could have used some time stop powers, but I live and have more episodes for you!

Episode 13 - I get peckish for war crimes every so often.

We're getting close to the end of my initial run, but I am gonna try and show off some of the stuff I missed, like all the datalogs, how ludicrously powerful we get, and whatnot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't know if you realized it or not, but that dead crowish boss down below wasn't what the Shiny Rock is for.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I dunno, this game seems like the right length for a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight is kinda TOO large, has a lot of empty space, and does that LOOOOOORE thing (that said, I still think its great, just not for everyone). At least here it feels like you're interacting with more characters, even though you're not? I think it's just more spread out in Hollow Knight as it is a 40 hour game.

Hojo boss seems pretty cool.

I like that the time powers are an option and not strictly required. You can do cool stuff with them but they're not a forced gimmick that wears thin over time.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I don't know if you realized it or not, but that dead crowish boss down below wasn't what the Shiny Rock is for.

I am well aware now, yes. I just gave it a shot because dead crow= crow.

Bellmaker posted:

I dunno, this game seems like the right length for a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight is kinda TOO large, has a lot of empty space, and does that LOOOOOORE thing (that said, I still think its great, just not for everyone). At least here it feels like you're interacting with more characters, even though you're not? I think it's just more spread out in Hollow Knight as it is a 40 hour game.

Hojo boss seems pretty cool.

I like that the time powers are an option and not strictly required. You can do cool stuff with them but they're not a forced gimmick that wears thin over time.

I don't think Time Spinner needs to be 40 hours, just a little longer, with a little more enemy variety. Like it's 80-90% of where it would be perfect. Still drat good, mind.

As for the time powers, I agree that them being optional is great, I also wish, though, that there was more to them, like a slow down or rewind power.

Also, speaking of interacting with all the side character, in today's outing, we complete the last few side quests!

Episode 14 - Especially the Night of Passion

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Radiant Orb is in my opinion, the best one in the game because it hits enemies in a large radius for good damage, even when resisted. You can damage enemies when jumping over them, even. It also has a very useful Spell to go with it.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I should get back into this game. I only have the Nightmare difficulty to go and I'll have platinum for this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Radiant Orb also goes through those knight shields, it's basically the spell for mobbing

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

Radiant Orb also goes through those knight shields, it's basically the spell for mobbing

its a bit too slow for my tastes, but I am kicking myself for not realizing its spell's platforming powers until it was too late.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hi! I'm not dead, the last two weeks have been hectic and I totally forgot to update this LP yesterday.

And Monday of last week too but who's counting?

The Radiant Orb is in my opinion, the best one in the game because it hits enemies in a large radius for good damage, even when resisted. You can damage enemies when jumping over them, even. It also has a very useful Spell to go with it.

SSNeoman posted:

its a bit too slow for my tastes, but I am kicking myself for not realizing its spell's platforming powers until it was too late.

It's got a great AOE and attack power, but it does seem to have the slowest cooldown of all the orbs. It's amazing against knights and other shielded enemies.
And given how late you get it- if you get it at all- it's likely you're near the point where that part of its power isn't as useful as originally. In NG+ though, it is an AMAZING spell for platforming and shielding.

HR12345 posted:

I should get back into this game. I only have the Nightmare difficulty to go and I'll have platinum for this game.

Likewise.

And our LP is nearing the end too. I mean, we just have to kill the Emperor and we're done! Right?

...Right?

Episode 15 - 'A new Costume.' 'I hate it.'

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ryushikaze posted:

As for the time powers, I agree that them being optional is great, I also wish, though, that there was more to them, like a slow down or rewind power.
It's certainly something, but I'm not sure "great" is the word I would use. I'm roughly at the same point as the LP right now and I can't deny that it's definitely a well-made and engaging game so far, at least as far as the metroidvania elements of it go. Still, for a game called Timespinners, I kind of expected the whole "time" part to matter a bit more... or at all, really.

I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting Sands of Time here, but I did go into it with the assumption that I'd actually get to play around with at least a few timey-wimey powers of some sort. The way the game keeps revolving around its time travel plot but never reflects it in the actual gameplay was kind of a letdown to me. There's never even any reason to use the one actual time power that you do get - you literally don't need it for anything. Like, it's not even as if there are any tedious or badly designed puzzles, no shoehorned-in gimmicks, nothing that normally hints at a developer not knowing how to turn the core concept into actual gameplay. Instead, it's more like they didn't even bother trying and just built the game around not having any time manipulation mechanics at all. It's a competently designed game, but considering how "you have weird time powers, go do time stuff" is literally the entire premise of game from beginning to end, the way it is actively built around completely failing to actually give you any time powers is just... weird.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It's certainly something, but I'm not sure "great" is the word I would use. I'm roughly at the same point as the LP right now and I can't deny that it's definitely a well-made and engaging game so far, at least as far as the metroidvania elements of it go. Still, for a game called Timespinners, I kind of expected the whole "time" part to matter a bit more... or at all, really.

I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting Sands of Time here, but I did go into it with the assumption that I'd actually get to play around with at least a few timey-wimey powers of some sort. The way the game keeps revolving around its time travel plot but never reflects it in the actual gameplay was kind of a letdown to me. There's never even any reason to use the one actual time power that you do get - you literally don't need it for anything. Like, it's not even as if there are any tedious or badly designed puzzles, no shoehorned-in gimmicks, nothing that normally hints at a developer not knowing how to turn the core concept into actual gameplay. Instead, it's more like they didn't even bother trying and just built the game around not having any time manipulation mechanics at all. It's a competently designed game, but considering how "you have weird time powers, go do time stuff" is literally the entire premise of game from beginning to end, the way it is actively built around completely failing to actually give you any time powers is just... weird.

I specifically mean the time stop being optional in boss fights. I do wish there was more general time manipulation in the actual running around and exploring of the game. And more running around and exploring in general.

In today's outing, we find the last bit of the time spinner, and then we go and fight our dad. Earlier than the last two times we fought him.

Episode 16 - We just broke time. The end.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So, now that you've beaten the game... Did you know you can cut out huge swathes of backtracking with Warp Shards?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

So, now that you've beaten the game... Did you know you can cut out huge swathes of backtracking with Warp Shards?

Yes, but I don't ever think about it in the moment, probably because of how very situational the Library card was in SOTN. It's dumb, but that's habit for you.

In today's outing, we're going to tackle the optional dungeon a few times, showing off both of this game's optional bosses.

Episode 17 - I really shouldn't laugh at your misfortune

One more update until we finish.

Tomorrow is election day in the US, folks! If you're an American, don't forget to go out and vote!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

And we're finally reaching the finish lines! In today's final plot outing, we kill the final boss, see the ending, then go and kill another dude and see the final ending of the game.

Episode 18 - I really think she think she's being brilliant

And that's the plot.

Coming up might be an episode on all the lore and lore locations and some minor plot beats and variations I missed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So will there be another episode or is that it? Either way, thanks for the LP.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The worst thing
the absolute worst thing
in the handheld Castlevanias is choosing whether I want to dash or use a combat move, and make me go into the menu to switch.
Timespinner lets me have that cake and eat it.

Also game remains hella straightforward.
I was honestly expecting the emperor to be a bit (just a weensy bit) more nuanced from the beginning but 'You can't Keep her from me/I'll find you bitch" just threw any hope of that straight out the window. Not even nuanced in the 'he has a salient point' way, but in the 'WHAT IS A MAN' kind of way.

Yeah, he's built up as having these ideals that are possibly positive and Lachiem itself is seen as a pretty neat place up until the weirdness that went down when you start messing with time, but that line and how Lunais mom handles him makes me almost think he's a stand-in for a bad breakup or a strawman for a very particular point about toxic masculinity. Which is unfortunate, because with just a little more subtlety this could be made to be a very effective take on an overly clingy man willing to rewrite time to have his heir back.

Where I appreciate the lack of subtlety is when the game goes "gently caress nazis, you can't deal with them. In fact, go kill off Hitler if you can." That's where the game's writing style works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

So will there be another episode or is that it? Either way, thanks for the LP.

There should be one more episode coming soon showing off all the lore and where to find it. I just need to edit down the raw footage and do voiceover.

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, he's built up as having these ideals that are possibly positive and Lachiem itself is seen as a pretty neat place up until the weirdness that went down when you start messing with time, but that line and how Lunais mom handles him makes me almost think he's a stand-in for a bad breakup or a strawman for a very particular point about toxic masculinity. Which is unfortunate, because with just a little more subtlety this could be made to be a very effective take on an overly clingy man willing to rewrite time to have his heir back.

Where I appreciate the lack of subtlety is when the game goes "gently caress nazis, you can't deal with them. In fact, go kill off Hitler if you can." That's where the game's writing style works.

I would have liked to see some "He who fights monsters" in the Emperor. They touched on it too briefly in the scientist trying to oust the demons to restore order and becoming demonic himself, but it would have worked better in Nuvius, I think.
Actually, more insight into Nuvius and the Lachiemi would have been good in general. For the primary villains for the majority of the game, we don't see much of them, just their effects on Winderia as viewed through the lens of Selen's memories and the experiments in the lab. A few Lachiemi civilians in the library area, or access to the non-restricted part of the city might have been nice.