Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yo this is straight up just ecclesia lol that menu looks lifted straight from it.Looks nice though.
Also the emperor calls out to the mom by her name.

One thing I do question is why there is no recoil from a lot of attacks.

e: Oh wow
watching more the blue orbs are the rapier glyph and the blade orbs are the sword glyphs. the collossal blade is straight up the sword glyph union.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Welp

Just binged through the entire game.
Its pretty good.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 27, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

aaaand thats 100% (minus hard mode and a certain thing I ran out of patience to figure out). It's quite short at ~8 hours, and I spent a lot of that loving about for map squares.

Post mortem:
If you ever pined for a sequel to Ecclesia, youve found it.
It lacks a little gameplay refinement, which is to be expected from an indie title, but this is a spiritual successor if there ever were one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 28, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iny posted:

Suspicious that they might be heavy-handed, unsubtle writers? Sure, that's reasonable. Suspicious that they might be Nazis themselves for being very unsubtle about how one of the bad guys in their game is Magical Hitler? Thaaaaat's a bit of a stretch.

(I don't know if you're suggesting the latter. I actually saw someone suggest that yesterday on another forum, though.)

The games story has the subtelty and narrative depth of a brick.
That is on fire
That was fired out of a cannon
The brick is labelled 'brick' with thick black ink.
The event was announced a year prior and tickets were handed out.

There is nothing, absolutely zero things, that you cant take at face value.

What they arent though for definite, as far as one can tell from the game, is Nazis.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Blue Orb is the fastest weapon in the game until the endgame and scales well with level, as well as strike damage having a favorable number and quality of enemies weak or neutral to it. All I can notice with the Shattered Orb is a higher base damage and longer range, but it's the Shattered Orb spell thats the real mvp for this and the next few sections of game, but a properly leveled up blue orb with a supporting setup catches up very fast.
And this is a criticism I have of the game, since the orbs level up, and spells level up alongside them (I didnt have the patience to test rings), you are eventually forced into a smaller selection of things youve already been using and/or things that were given a higher base damage so they look favorable compared to earlier orbs you have. It discourages mixing and matching to the situation since you are almost always better off sticking to what you've been using.

And you can jump up to the rock dropping engineers in the first room once you get the double jump.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 4, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a little green number that pops out when it heals you. I have no idea how well it scales with level but level 0/1 healed about 6 HP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lazy Bear posted:

The Bombardment spell does several high-power hits. The reason you didn't see many results is because you were using it on enemies that fell apart after two. Try it on a boss.

Also theyre how I destroyed the Idol boss in less than a minute.
Bombardment makes absolute swiss cheese of anything weak to strike damage, which the Cheveurs arent in general.

And how could you not recognize Mr. Hat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 8, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

iirc each area has a commons and rares chest, though their placement isnt random. if you find a rare chest itll still be a rare chest when you come back later, same with commons.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

BTW the Cheveur tanks and whatnot are explicitly stated to be based off "an extinct species" in the bestiary so no cyborgs here.

An explanation for the robots and why theyre based off of flora/fauna is found later in the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The worst thing
the absolute worst thing
in the handheld Castlevanias is choosing whether I want to dash or use a combat move, and make me go into the menu to switch.
Timespinner lets me have that cake and eat it.

Also game remains hella straightforward.
I was honestly expecting the emperor to be a bit (just a weensy bit) more nuanced from the beginning but 'You can't Keep her from me/I'll find you bitch" just threw any hope of that straight out the window. Not even nuanced in the 'he has a salient point' way, but in the 'WHAT IS A MAN' kind of way.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

Radiant Orb also goes through those knight shields, it's basically the spell for mobbing

its a bit too slow for my tastes, but I am kicking myself for not realizing its spell's platforming powers until it was too late.