Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh this game. I beat it a couple times on Normal and Nightmare and am partway through a NG+ run of Nightmare (Level 1). I just managed to beat the Golden Idol (Succubus Twins) boss without taking damage or using time stop. That's easier on a NG+ where you keep all your orbs, necklaces and rings and such. Oddly enough, the boss was super easy, it was avoiding the twins laugh/dance across the screen in phase 1 which I had trouble with.

If you backed it, you should put in the password for the Umbra Orb. It's not that interesting, but it does Darkness damage, and the only other orb in the game which does that is hidden in a secret passage you already missed. In the Castle Dungeon.

A tip to finding secret areas: They are always separate rooms, and so that means you only need to check edges which lead to black squares. There are never any secrets on an edge which has an explored square past it.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Blue Orb is the fastest weapon in the game until the endgame and scales well with level, as well as strike damage having a favorable number and quality of enemies weak or neutral to it. All I can notice with the Shattered Orb is a higher base damage and longer range, but it's the Shattered Orb spell thats the real mvp for this and the next few sections of game, but a properly leveled up blue orb with a supporting setup catches up very fast.

Interesting. I pretty much ignored the close-range spells because I felt that the whole point of the spells is a long-range attack, and a second melee attack, even a powerful one, didn't seem that useful. I do like the shattered orb for the multiple hits it delivers, though.

The Blue Orb is okay, but it's rather uninteresting and there are a LOT of orbs in the game, probably too many for how short the length is, so I didn't really have much use for the Blue Orb after getting the Shattered Orb.

Your main source for damage is gaining levels, Orbs don't gain much damage as they level, so new level 1 orbs should compare favorably unless you've been grinding a lot, and you can use Elemental Beads to pump up the level of low-level orbs.

As for Familiars, I always found the Griffin before the Sprite, and ditch it for good as soon as I get the Sprite. Enemies have low health anyway, so I find the healing to be more useful than the damage familiars deal out. The healing scales. And I will note that I made no effort whatsoever into trying to level familiars up.

Speaking of orbs, there are 8 damage types: Blunt (Blue, Iron, Shattered), Sharp (Blade, Wind), Fire, Ice, Plasma, Aura, Light, Dark. Only Blunt and Sharp have multiple orbs associated with them. Well, and Dark if you're a Kickstarter backer.

Something to show off: Get a Royal Advisor Hat and Robe to drop from Advisors in the Royal Tower, wear them, and talk to the Librarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't know if you realized it or not, but that dead crowish boss down below wasn't what the Shiny Rock is for.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Radiant Orb is in my opinion, the best one in the game because it hits enemies in a large radius for good damage, even when resisted. You can damage enemies when jumping over them, even. It also has a very useful Spell to go with it.