Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

shades of eternity posted:

Marco is seriously improved even if he has become, "getting my baby" and very one note because of it.

Sean Teale in this show is the Great Value Oscar Isaac and it’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He was great in a Syfy show called Incorporated that was criminally cancelled.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

He was great in a Syfy show called Incorporated that was criminally cancelled.

True, the guy has some skills.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The actors are pretty good, they just need stuff to do. The writers weird focus on introducing new mutants for cool powers sucks it's making things overcrowded.
Losing a bunch to the inner circle was a great opportunity to give the remaining ones space to breathe and grieve and deal with the aftermath but nope.

I honestly love the world building possibilities more than what we actually get.

Illusion boy doesn't do anything Eclipse and Fade couldn't do (hide poo poo, fake outs).

Twist should be Andy and Polaris working together and Andy going a little bit psycho along the way.

Daddy mutant would be better played as Reed being a mutant with no access to actual powers. He triggers all the x Gene detections as his dad's treatment fails but can't actually do anything. An effecively powerless mutant would be an interesting direction for an established character

I don't have hopes for a third season tbh

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I have so many feelings about this stupid show

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My feelings is that half the actors are being severely wasted.

Strucker family minus Andy for 5 whole episodes: We need to rescue Andy we need to Rescue Andy.
Strucker family for 2 whole episodes: My hands glow red and they destroy everything *wastes Stephen Moyer completely by having his character be reduced to groaning in pain and angst*, also, we still need to rescue Andy.

It's my responsibility to rescue Andy. No mom, it is I who must rescue Andy. No wife and daughter, it is my fault. No father, I am the Andy rescuer, I saw him and he's a true believer. No daughter, this should never be on your shoulders. It's always been my responsibility. No mom, we're all together in this.

I have many feelings as well and they can be boiled down to:

"I really wanna know what happens in the grand scheme of things in this show because I like the premise".

"What a waste of actors and airtime, do they really think they're making some sort of Breaking Bad here?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, the show is obviously building up a four season arc. It might not be a great idea to know exactly how many seasons you want your show to be before you really know how you want to fill those seasons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the problems with this show are not the actors. Reeva isn't great, but I feel like they're just falling into the same trap that a lot of writers have when trying to right powerful women, they just make them stern, and look upset and fashionable.

It really does feel like its spinning its wheels a lot of the time, I think its the problem with telling a whole season arc in a show with 20+ episodes. Also I get the feeling there are people working on the show saying "we need stuff to drawn in people who don't like super hero stories, so we need some family drama!!!", which I feel misreads the audience, its not people don't like drama, family or otherwise, its that people don't like bad drama, which this tends to do a lot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The most annoying bit is the drama about stealing food. There are a bunch of mutants living in a sewer, stealing some food so that they don't starve doesn't seem like it should raise any eyebrows given the state of things.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
No episode this week?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Ah, Thanksgiving. That explains why

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open the car door to leave? gently caress it, turn it inside out because I can. :j:

I'm surprised Bubbles didn't run to her parents after the revelation that they are trying to make a mutant cure for everyone.

So long Dawn. It's time for Lorna to go full Polaris including comics headgear.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oasx posted:

The most annoying bit is the drama about stealing food. There are a bunch of mutants living in a sewer, stealing some food so that they don't starve doesn't seem like it should raise any eyebrows given the state of things.

What should have happened:

"We're living in the sewers, with rats and old poo poo and no fresh air or natural light. There are literal concentration camps where we are tortured and brainwashed. Death squads roam the streets. Uncounted evils are perpetrated against us every day. And you are worried about the loving optics of stealing food so our children don't starve?"

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Also, didn't Blink end up in jail for.. stealing good? Why did she get bent out of shape for something she does herself, let alone why is TB getting shirty about it

And Polaris crashed a friggin plane, oh but Twist is the crazy chick

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 28, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Good bits: the actors, their acting, the ideas

Bad bits: everything else god drat

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Polaris was completly justified in blowing up that plane. Twist seems like she does that poo poo for kicks.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So this last episode drat near killed me because no one on the crew was paying attention to what color Polaris’ hair was supposed to be in the present day scenes and it flipped from green to black for practically no reason at all constantly.

I also liked how teenage memories were given no filter but 7 months ago is Vaseline land.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whenever I think of the past, I like to add multiple filters of gaussian blur overlaying it.

Gaussian-blur tinted glasses.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Hair inconsistency, power inconsistency (seriously, 7 years ago she can throw cars around?) The only consistentcy is inconsistency

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This was a much better episode than the previous ones. The character stuff with Polaris was exactly the type of stuff this show needed because it's drama that actually has some meaning opposed to the drama between Blink and John which I can't even figure out why they're not getting along. Her putting the tiara on was kind of wacky but it's a neat nod to the comics.

My biggest disappointment was when the doctor was like "Your dad will die!" she should have instead explained that if they don't get his powers under control he'd eventually start crumbling the very earth beneath him and gradually crumble his way all the way down into the earth's core...and die.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Isn't Blink still mad that John's girlfriend faked her memories?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You're probably supposed to assume they worked that out in the six month gap between seasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Isn't Blink still mad that John's girlfriend faked her memories?

The beef died with her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Glad that all the plotlines advanced a good amount tonight. Pleased that they finally explained what Reeva's plan was but also executed it.

Poor Rebecca. The fact that Andy was the one to kill her was just cruel haha.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Ok, poo poo got done this week, this was a fantastic episode.

Marcos shared confusion with the guy in the boot was a highlight. Sean Teale really brought his A game there

Please keep it up xx

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Makes sense to send in Magneto’s daughter to create an EMP in that server farm.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I could have done without Dr. Risman’s out-of-nowhere heel turn. It felt manufactured for the sake of plot convenience.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
As usual a very uneven episode. The Underground stuff mostly sucked again. Inner Circle plan coming together was pretty solid though I hope this doesn't lead the good guys to "have to turn the collars back on" because that would just be awful. The Doctor being evil was fine because they didn't try to hide it for multiple episodes and have it turn into a big reveal. Given how the other mutant reacted it was clear that she had been hiding her true intentions of being pro-humanity under a guise of nobility and in the moment of truth revealed she was actually a bigot so that was great. I'm curious if all the blood samples falling on her will somehow turn her into a crazy powerful mutant herself but this show doesn't seem to really want to lean that hard into the wacky comic book stuff so she's probably just dead.

Budget once again showing through when the best they can do of having the most powerful mutants in the world just smashing through windows. It's so sad none of these shows actually get a budget; maybe Disney will come through and actually put real money into their streaming service shows. Discovery wasn't great but the effects and costuming in it were good.

On the subject of costuming, I love the cuckoos so much. Their outfits are just perfect.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Andrew kinda grew on me this episode. :)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Oh no, Thunderbird. :ohdear:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Metalshark posted:

Oh no, Thunderbird. :ohdear:

Yet again: gently caress you, Jace! :argh:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's so unfair this show doesn't have a budget, it would really be a lot better if they could toss around their powers more.

I think even Jace knows he's a bad guy now, but I like how they paralleled him with Wobbles. Wobbles looked so sad when he saw the horrified looks on his parents' faces after mangling that dude's legs. The whole idea of how both sides basically agreed the genocide was basically the only solution is pretty amazing as it validates both their rationales.

As much as I'm loathe to say that Team UnderMiddle Ground needs more human members of it's third party; having the only two non-mutants be related to mutants makes it feel much more like only people with a dog in the fight care. They could use a person who's just there to fight for actual rights of people that don't affect them.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 2, 2019

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

The part that breaks my heart is Wobbles is probably right, because I have no idea how the hell humans and mutants can actually live together in this environment (and I know darm well what I'd do to purifiers if they weren't fictional).

Still nobody likes being pointed out that they have gotten dark.

Hell, I'm not even sure what the mutant underground is doing anymore, other than be angsty and well meaning.

At times like this, I think I'd love Deadpool and Colossus to show up, just because they need all the help they can get.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lorna's earrings were fantastic!

It's too bad Wobbles didn't break Jace's legs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I'm three episodes into the first season and this show is a trip. Dad's a prosecutor for mutants and the concept of 'They make mutants disappear' and people turning in their kids when they show up as mutants. The concept of people not being able to be reasoned with is just blowing everyone's minds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbles needs a new nickname to go with her powers and attitude.

"I was afraid for my life. He came at me." :911:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I hope evil Fox News man's motivation behind starting a race war is ratings.

I get the feeling they are going to have some very bad motivation for Reeva and it's going to kill the plot arc.

When I saw that half of Fenris was dead in the beginning and Andreas was using the cane to channel his sister's powers I had a moment of hope that we'd get the "____ wrapped in her skin" gimmick. I suppose that is too morbid for network TV though and using her hair is good enough and actually more realistic as a cursory google search tells me that hair is more durable and as such decays slower than skin.

Bad Girl Bubbles isn't quite as believable as Bad Guy Wobbles but it's an interesting twist for the character and add to that it's actually giving Mom an interesting arc as well.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bubbles needs a new nickname to go with her powers and attitude.

"I was afraid for my life. He came at me." :911:

Popper :p

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hawk News. Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Wobbles and Shears?