Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I feel like there are two writing staffs. The first writing staff writes these scenarios where characters are spinning wheels and acting dumb for no real good reason other than to be moody and melodramatic, and the other writing staff just writes logical conclusions for the first group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And you know dumb poo poo is gonna have a change of heart now that he found the teddy bear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone please kill Jace already. "Hey we can't go around killing people!" "Yea but what if you did?" "Okay." Kate could do it since she's channeling her inner badass now.

The Mutant Underground and the Morlocks need to join up already. No real reason for their plotlines to still be separate.

:rip: Sage and maybe Blink too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think I'll bother with this show anymore if its just a bummer with no plot progression. Pity, because the show had such potential.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Might as well stick out the season as there's virtually no chance of renewal.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Lauren strucker is by no means a big girl, but she is so much more..rounded than anyone else on the show.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Based on Daddy struckers words, Im calling it now, he's going to sacrifice his life to save others. Explody daddy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Jace is beyond redemption by standard TV rules. If he was still trying to stop murders a face turn could make sense, but the Mutant Massacre by the Marauders in the tunnels is just not forgiveable.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know when it was that this show has jumped the shark for me, but the more I think about it the more I think there was never a shark in the first place. We only got a shot of the ocean when they had already sent a hit team to kill all sea life.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like, everything in this show grows more nonsensical by each episode, and at this point I'm watching it just because I want to see how far the rabbit hole goes, but it's like Heroes 2.0 when it comes down to the scope of the trainwreck. I can't be the only one feeling like this, but everything really forces the suspension of disbelief more than a Disney musical and the worst part is that what causes that is how poorly the thing is directed, not the fact that there are people with superpowers.

--------------------------

You have a bunch of straight tunnels, sewers, a place you've had ages to defend or mount a defense plan, and a guy who's not only impervious to bullets, but can turn them against you. They also have guns. That guy could stand on a narrow passage while his friends shoot at him and he can single handedly win the entire battle.

As can Blink if she decides to telefrag people, or use her portals to cause a collapse blocking the way in.

Can they create illusion walls? How about the other side of the wall is a trap.

Ignoring however many other mutants on their hideout who could probably insta-murder everyone. Isn't that the reason why they're being persecuted in the first place? Every single mutant is seen as a threat.

Why did it take 14 episodes in a season for Stephen Moyer to say he should not spend the rest of his episodes groaning about how he can't use powers? Plots about that have been started and solved in less time than the entire screentime dedicating to him complaining. It's paying an actor to do nothing with scenes that are not fun. If they're trying their hand at straight drama, they're failing spectacularly.

This show's structure is almost doomed from the start with very little room to improve and it feels like they did not plan around that at all. Consider that almost every core of characters is stuck inside a building almost all the time and compare it with other shows or movies whose characters find themselves in the same position. Half the cast is stuck in evil villain's building that consists of a few rooms, while a ~big war~ or event is planned, but the only thing we've seen outside of that room was the bank heist. Which as far as I'm concerned is one of the few episodes something happened. The rest of it is some training montages with characters we don't care, Polaris looking worried, Strucker kid looking angsty, evil villain looking evil and the sisters being annoying to the one who's become less hive-minded. Imagine these people directing a Dogville TV show.

The murlocs are stuck in a sewer preaching about uhhhhhh I'm not sure, but they can't leave the sewers. Doesn't matter anymore.

The "good guys" are always stuck in a place they can't leave because they can't be seen. The show started with a big X-Menesque manor but now that is gone so half the time the camera shifts to them we see them discussing plans they cannot pull, and the other half some very quick self-contained action happens. Oh no, dude got captured. Well no worries, we rescued him. Back to the planning board of boredom.

"Sir, we've spent too much time indoors. We need to make an outdoor scene."
"Cars."

They're either in cars, or cars are exploding, or cars are chasing cars, or cars are being dismantled.

I'm gonna sum this show as Cars, Flashbacks and Claustrophobic Environments. Actually, scratch that. This show is about Business Meetings. Even when there's no Business involved.

14 episodes of long, long business meetings, where nothing gets done. And when it gets done, it's: "Ladies. Gentlemen. I'd like to report that our villainy stocks have increased tenfold ever since we killed a literal dragon offscreen. With fire. We did it. Unfortunately - (something bad happens)"

I'll leave you with one final thought: If The Gifted were a Mafia game, everybody would lose. It's like a Mafia Game where the rules are that every faction has to collaborate with the enemies, and arguing and fighting with their allies. The only thing that can come out of that is a nonsensical plot and that's what we have.

Much like in a Mafia game, at the end of the week people die, but given how random and nonsensical it is, it can be anyone. Major character who can portal and has the only set of concave lenses in the world? Tech lady who barely got any screen time? Yes, please.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 14, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also how convenient that the tech lady can't be mind read because she thinks in ones and zero's. Give me a break.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"You girls can check the camera and see I never leave my offscreen room."

"I'm literally a mutant hacker who designed our system, if I were to spy on us I would obviously not loving use it or make it so it's not in the logs."

"I mean, I can literally hack things with my mind and read screens faster than Neo in the Matrix."

Black Canary: Person with no motive, no real personality and no precedent of doing anything against us unlike everyone else in this building, you have failed us for the last time. WAAAAAAAAHHHHHhhhhh

This show has a very deep level of dumb and usually when that's the case you get some semblance of spectacle to make up for it. Instead everything is indoors straight drama between the dumbest characters on earth. There's no self-awareness, no campy, everything is dark gritty and played straight, and done so in the most incompetent fashion possible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was just so dumb to see mutants get out from under cover, stand up and then stand completely still as they prepared to use their powers, it was as if nobody realized that doing that while people were firing automatic weapons at them would be a bad idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone please kill Jace already. "Hey we can't go around killing people!" "Yea but what if you did?" "Okay." Kate could do it since she's channeling her inner badass now.

The Mutant Underground and the Morlocks need to join up already. No real reason for their plotlines to still be separate.

:rip: Sage and maybe Blink too

"We can't just go around killing people" just ignore the fact that they've previously done this up to and including murdering Shatter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once again Jace, YOU'VE JOINED A HATE GROUP THAT KILLS MUTANTS. Why are you surprised when they kill mutants? Especially when you specifically lead them on a "kill mutants" mission?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured I'm just going to save up the season and binge it on some long weekend or whatever.

Sounds like they are lost of what to do with Jace once he left the SS and joined the Freikorps.

And to show how little impact this season has had on me, I am trying to remember what happened to inside out girl? Did the stupid kid kill her? or did she escape?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She got killed accidentally by Andy.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

She got killed accidentally by Andy.

Yup. All part of Reevas master (mistress?) plan. Turns out SHE is behind the Purifiers and their murder sprees which tallies PERFECTLY with her shock and horror at inside out girl's... Murder spree

Ah well. Thunderbird is still attractive, I still watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Reeva's plan is that the Purifiers don't want to just have mutant segregation, they want to kill them all.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna sum this show as Cars, Flashbacks and Claustrophobic Environments. Actually, scratch that. This show is about Business Meetings. Even when there's no Business involved.

Watching this episode scene by scene.

TWO MONTHS AGO... - Flashback, check. Immediately the next scene is a car.

This is pretty great.

Edit: Next scenes: Two people from the same side fighting angrily at each other, with a little kid watching. Polaris is guilt-tripped then tries to guilt-trip then is guilt-tripped back so she's 0/2 against the Struckers. More people from the same side fighting. It's like no one's even trying.

Bill Indiana Jonesed someone which was the greatest thing to happen so far.

Edit 2: I can't believe daughter Strucker is now of all times having survivor's guilt with her mom and, obviously, arguing with someone from the same side as her. I can't believe they managed to pack more guilt-tripping in this show than they did in Arrow, at least in Arrow it took over a few seasons.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 20, 2019

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sloth Life posted:

Turns out SHE is behind the Purifiers and their murder sprees which tallies PERFECTLY with her shock and horror at inside out girl's... Murder spree

You think Reeva was even slightly upset about any of the people Rebecca murdered besides Reeva’s human boy toy?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

You think Reeva was even slightly upset about any of the people Rebecca murdered besides Reeva’s human boy toy?

She seemed really horrified and shocked to me, that Rebecca had gone too far. Even punished her horribly. Turns out it was perfectly in line with her plans so wtf?

Phylodox posted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its a little thing but I really love the Aurora Borealis effect when Magnet Girl and Light Guy get close

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sloth Life posted:

She seemed really horrified and shocked to me, that Rebecca had gone too far. Even punished her horribly. Turns out it was perfectly in line with her plans so wtf?

She was shocked and horrified because someone she actually cared about got caught in the crossfire. She’s an enormous hypocrite who demands devotion and sacrifice from others but exercises neither herself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is very hard to take the Inner Circle seriously when they only seem to have like 10 members (and three of them are the Cuckoos.) Reeva keeps talking about how they've almost achieved their goal and the only thing they seem to be doing lately is killing other mutants.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Inner Circle gives me Lost vibes where once in a while we're reminded there's a lot of survivors because they appear once or twice per season on the background of a scene but for the most part it genuinely feels like there's only the main cast and no one else at all.

See also: When Nicholas Brody forgot he had a son.

Also the Inner Circle really is just black canary, tech girl, and the cuckoos and it would not surprise me if non-hiveminded cuckoo got killed off for no reason. They were the only cylons who knew THE PLAN and now that tech girl is gone the inner circle is basically Reeva and the Cuckoos. Almost every piece of dialogue towards the "symbols", the members of the two prominent mutant families was about how everything is on a need-to-know basis and they did not need to know anything.

Think about Magneta and Andy and they were basically foils to each other, swapping positions about who's a true believer and who's carrying some doubts. Almost every time Polaris shows up she's just looking worried at the camera and they're like prisoners there.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 20, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad Crumbles got his first kill. Shame it wasn't Jace, but I'll take it.

I hope there is some kind of win for the protagonists next week. Maybe Clarice can come back and somehow portal everyone into a good timeline / show before it gets cancelled.

muscles like this! posted:

Once again Jace, YOU'VE JOINED A HATE GROUP THAT KILLS MUTANTS. Why are you surprised when they kill mutants? Especially when you specifically lead them on a "kill mutants" mission?

"I might have killed KIDS??? That's too far! Now teenagers who just got their mutant powers? I'm ok with that."

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Why didn't the Morlocks just throw stuff at Erg and just have him murder the Purifiers? And then have him pick up a gun off a dead Purifier.

edit: I know it is a dumb nitpick, but it is on the same level as "Don't shoot the guy that seems to absorb power" in terms of train of thought.

Grinning Goblin fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 21, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, do it. Kill him!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was an odd way to end the season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You mean series because honestly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah what a terrible season. All the promise of the first seasons was squandered by wheel spinning to benefit more family drama.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

John going on his rampage and beating up all the purifiers was good. Disappointed he didn't kill Jace though.

I'm surprised they got a somewhat happy ending, considering they were just taking loss after loss throughout the season. Shame the show is probably dead and we won't get any alternate timeline shenanigans with Blink.

twistedmentat posted:

Hah what a terrible season. All the promise of the first seasons was squandered by wheel spinning to benefit more family drama.

:agreed: The show needed better pacing. Going from 13 to 16 episodes didn't seem to help.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The thing that's so weird is that half the storylines were extremely rushed, like the Morlocks for example. While other storylines were extremely drawn out, Crumbles powers.

I did like Reeva's line about how nations are made on the bodies of the dead, that was cool. They never really explained how her powers worked or why they didn't counteract Crumbles but whatever I won't really complain because it was a time when something actually happened in the show.

That said, I feel like they killed off the wrong character in the sense that he was a lot more interesting than "2nd Amendment Mom". I thought they should have given the whole trio of Cuckoos a face turn rather than just the one.

Blink teleports away (into the future) and returns with a greater control of her powers is a pretty classic comic book twist that I think everyone saw coming when there was no body. Of course I have no faith that this show could actually do a future dystopia arc in any way that would be good. Matt Nix did the best he could with his budget but this show just can't be carried with Burn Notice level special effects.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't believe the Dad died. Probably woke up naked in the rubble.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We'll probably never know as I doubt Fox is renewing the show. Stranger things have happened, but unless Disney is passing the word that they want to keep the show around as part of an X-Men strategy, the ratings pretty much put it in cancellation territory.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

bull3964 posted:

We'll probably never know as I doubt Fox is renewing the show. Stranger things have happened, but unless Disney is passing the word that they want to keep the show around as part of an X-Men strategy, the ratings pretty much put it in cancellation territory.

If Disney had any kind of clue they'd yank Thunderbird and Blink and spin-off an eXiles mini series on their streaming service.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Better then Heroes season 02, but that might be damning with faint praise.

This is the first episode this season that felt like anything like a win.

Getting rid of crumbles is dumb, but if they are going to waste him, so be it. plus poodle lady is gone, hopefully.

now that the season is done, how would have you rewritten it so it wasn't lamer? I stand by the cast and premise are fine, but cripes they get stuck on the dumbest things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I don't believe the Dad died. Probably woke up naked in the rubble.

Probably with amnesia. Now he will lead the anti mutant faction and disintegrate all those dirty muties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

shades of eternity posted:

now that the season is done, how would have you rewritten it so it wasn't lamer? I stand by the cast and premise are fine, but cripes they get stuck on the dumbest things.

Start building the Morlocks from episode 1. Start showing that Mutant sovereignty isn't all it's cracked up to be and without infrastructure the populace will suffer. Build it in a way that you show how even if Reeva were to get what she wants it wouldn't be meaningful because ultimately the humans could come ruin it all whenever they felt like it.(a not so subtle ironic twist with it being Reeva the one who actually destroys the current mutant Nation, this was good but they didn't build up the Morlocks enough for us to care).

Don't have people who "hate" each other hang out every episode.

Crowd fund the special effects team so we can get some crazy powers flying around.

Give the family alternate directions beyond just wanting their son back particularly after the Thunderbird rescue mission. Start exploring the dark side of Lauren and Andy much sooner. I think that Mom wanting them to lean into the darkness for the sake of survival while Dad is afraid of what it will do to them because it's affecting him as well, was real good, they just needed to get there sooner.

Don't try to give Jace redemption arcs, just show how his angry and grief spiral into him hurting others under the guise of wanting to protect them. Doesn't mean he can't full moments of remorse but if those moments aren't going to lead to him turning on his side by the end then what's the point?(I'm guessing maybe this was something that would pay off in S3?) In the end he can find out that he was working for the mutants the whole time and eats his gun.

Give Reeva a bit more infrastructure. Give her a bunch of goons rather than just a few rando mutants she picked up along the way. The Inner Circle was just a few members but the Hellfire club had goons and lots of connections, so I'd have more stuff with her having meetings with various groups and powerful political individuals. Play up the idea that even though she killed the members of the board, she still has to deliver what she's promising for the shareholders. Also give her plan a few more legs and hoops to jump through that are meaningful. The "information" that she got out of the bank way back in the first half of the season didn't feel like it was anything more than something to do to kill time. Show her doing more stuff assembling her pieces on the board; she was way too reactive for someone who should have been so influential.

I would have had Lauren and Andy go full on Dark Phoenix(Fenris) at the end where the Cuckoos manipulate them into fully using their powers, and the kids tap into the "dark" power and turn super world destroyingly out of control. They take out Reeva, getting revenge for Reeva killing their mom, then Dad's powers go bananas and they come to their senses realizing that they're about to lose both their parents. They say goodbye to Dad as he disintegrates promising him that they'll learn to control themselves and not destroy the world. Then they bury Mom and take over the Inner Circle promising to use the resources they have to bring about real lasting change via peace trying to affect change and honor their parents memory by uniting mutant and human. Lorna backs them satisfying the "evil" mutants, and Thunderbird admits he's the last X-Man and will carry on Xavier's legacy by helping them too.

Last, Thunderbird develops a secondary mutation that causes him to not be able to wear shirts.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 27, 2019