Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Since the show's not getting renewed, I'm just going to assume the thing Clarice had to show everyone was the awesome barbecue she and Reed were having.

And also Shatter and Sage are there, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I called explodey daddy, and I dig it. It meshes nicely with HIS explodey daddy.

I like what they did but I think events should have happened in a different sequence. I think it would have worked better for the Morlocks to be decimated first as they are less human looking and a great MONSTER to start the purifiers rampage on and show dead monsters to drum up support for the next steps. Then Reed to explodey afterwards (maybe with Dragon Lady? Or operation rescue hotpiece) for a mid season OH gently caress and for it to be the trigger to bring Andy & Greeny back into the fold, as well as Cait going dark Mom to protect her kids. Then a united Morlock Underground Fenris finale to topple Reeva and build a new future.

Inside out girl was pointless on her own. Going into the asylum for a gang member would have been better, then release the others from scattered prisons which they did anyway, they succeed in dropping the building as planned but are done in by the final battle.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I just, there were a few dead ends and pointless character pieces, which, if they were meant to show Reeva being adaptable, just missed the mark completely. Not to mention just loving STUPID action scenes like "fade reveals himself. GASPS all around , "what are you doing here" they cry, fade REACTION SHOT, then they move a hand finally But ZOINKS he faded"

Also Thunderbird fight scene was just poo poo. I don't care how bullet proof he is, anyone with half a loving brain would have run out throwing heavy poo poo first, not after 29 bullet holes. Who the gently caress decided the trained soldier would be a lovely strategist?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Stupid show I love your ideas and your pretty pretty actors but goddamn. Xena was doing better action pieces 20 loving years ago.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Since the show's not getting renewed, I'm just going to assume the thing Clarice had to show everyone was the awesome barbecue she and Reed were having.

And also Shatter and Sage are there, for some reason.
Yeah, that ending was basically “Get in the car, losers. No time to explain!” and I’m OK with it.

What’s weird about this show was that they seemed to have a lot of problems they created themselves. Maybe a lot of turnover among the writers? Anyway, at this point I can’t see much of a future for it, since the clear implication of the portal was a post-apocalyptic future that they wouldn’t have budget to show so they’d spend the whole season in a warehouse with occasional 5 minute jaunts outside where they’d fistfight sentinel “robots” that were just dudes in football pads with glowing eyes on their helmets.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

”robots” that were just dudes in football pads with glowing eyes on their helmets.

But enough about The Orville! :downsrim:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shades of eternity posted:

now that the season is done, how would have you rewritten it so it wasn't lamer? I stand by the cast and premise are fine, but cripes they get stuck on the dumbest things.

I'm gonna make a bit of an effortpost. Well I've been making fun of the elements I find stupid in this show for a while, and they all held true for every episode.

But let's see: The main problem with this show is that its greatest weakness (family drama and intra-group fighting) was stretched and made the main thing. A very insignificant part of that was actually used in ~the plot~. This show was written like it was assuming it'd be renewed for 20 seasons and everyone would watch it so the boringest part of it.

There's no other way to put it: The drama sucked. The drama sucked for hero show standards and was as formulaic as the drama in CW shows. The difference is that in, say, Arrow, and I can't believe I'm using Arrow as a positive example lord forgive me, there's usually some clear threat that the season or seasons are heading towards, even if every episode has to fill half of it with character x complaining about y with character z before they learn the lesson that teamwork is good, again.

The Gifted has 3 main groups:

1) The Magneto people, who want their own state and have no problems of their own - they basically live in a massive building, funded by an immense wealth
2) Jace and racist humans who want to kill everyone who's a mutant
3) The X-men people, who... see the mutants being treated like poo poo, and decide to dedicate the entirety of the season finding a way to fight the Magneto people.

Secondary to that are some other mutants, other humans, etc, but these are the main characters.

The setting is that they're in the handmaid's tale but with humans and mutants. Mutants are universally treated like poo poo, experimented on, tortured, and to say they live in a dystopic society would be an understatement considering the experiments they showed. The status quo is that, for all intents and purposes, mutants are being hunted and have to hide simply for existing. This is very similar to, say, Legion.

However notice how the story in this show is about large scale events, yet it is build in such a way that if the good guys (the X-men people) get what they want, then the status quo is preserved (society is still complete poo poo, they already live in a completely dystopic environment). So the only way for the story to move forward is for one of the two groups that oppose the good guys to win. Think of the long term structure of this story:

* If the good guys win, nothing changes, and it's been 2 seasons of nothing. Now we gotta watch a show about... I don't know, political discourse about how to make humans and mutants friends again? That wouldn't work. There's no setup for that, no character that could conceivably do that.
* If any of the bad guys win then they both achieve their goal and the only way for the good guys to win would be to reunify society. Which would be the only way to have more seasons, to be honest, but also something they're not equipped at all to deal with.

How are these situations usually dealt with?

Well, again, take Handmaid's Tale for example. The book. There's a fast forward to when society is functional again. You read about the tragedy and then you skip the part that cannot be told in an interesting way. It can't be told in an interesting way because while the story is a social commentary, the story structure is made in form of a character study. The focus is not the main character doing things to change the world on a global scale, so we only need to know the relevant parts of her struggles.

This shows does the worst of both worlds - the characters are all talking about world-changing events, and yet an enormous amount of time is spent on family drama, characters on the same side arguing for the stupidest reasons imaginable (are you like, stealing food to feed the people in the sewers?? this is why humans hate us), a copious amount of flashbacks. The show goes to extreme lengths to preserve this status quo, more so than even procedural shows. More story happens in a season of Lucifer than the entirety of The Gifted. Think about it - nothing changed. The status quo of the world is exactly the same, like I said. The entire S1 and S2 did not do anything at all. We learned about some characters, some of them died. We saw Reeva's humane side when a person she loved died but that doesn't amount to anything since she's dead, that person is dead, the person who killed her loved one is dead. And yet Jace survives through an extreme level of plot armor because ???.

The cliffhanger at the end of the season has absolutely nothing to do with anything that has happened thus far. A dead character comes up from, presumably, an alternate timeline? Would the revelation be that doing what they did resulted in a catastrophe and they need to change time to fix things? Was she alive all this time? Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with the show structure that has been presented thus far.

The cast and premise are fine but there was no coherent anything. No coherent interaction between characters, no coherent choices in who lives and who dies, no coherent arc, no coherent short term and long term structures. The only consistent elements are elements that suck: Every character is constantly arguing with each other for no reason, the status quo of the story never changes, and things only really happen in the final episode, in the best "We took 15 episodes worth of time out of you now let's make a sudden cliffhanger to make sure you watch S3 despite nothing happening." Like magic, things happen. And the irony is that like I said, nothing that happened in the last episode change the world from the point it was at S1.

In fact, humans had pretty much to be nerfed to keep up with the amount of nothingness the mutants are doing. Remember when they had super advanced robots that tracked people?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 28, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a lot of flaws for the show come from the simple fact that they did not have the budget for the story they wanted to tell. That's not the only thing (WTF was up with the entire Jace story arc?) but imagine how having more money would mean a greater sense that the Inner Circle actually was a powerful organization and not just Reeva and Sage and the Cuckoos.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I think a lot of flaws for the show come from the simple fact that they did not have the budget for the story they wanted to tell. That's not the only thing (WTF was up with the entire Jace story arc?) but imagine how having more money would mean a greater sense that the Inner Circle actually was a powerful organization and not just Reeva and Sage and the Cuckoos.

Having random extras just walking around would have helped so much.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I don't think that was a biproduct of the budget though. Surely they could have spare some purifiers and cop extras for Reeva scenes. I think they intentionally wanted to make the Inner Circle a small group like the Underground was.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
there's a lot of dross but also potential there. Problem seems to be with the creative team: incoherent storylines, useless characters, poor direction. Pack the idea and the better actors off to the Legends of Tomorrow lot, I'm pretty sure they would do much better

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’m disappointed we never got the “you killed Sage when it was I who hacked the computer” moment and seeing raging Reeva.

Edit: also

latinotwink1997 posted:

Also, I'm sure they're saving up their budget for the final episode where Dad Von Strucker finally loses control and melts a skyscraper or something.

I guess he didn’t melt the entire thing but still.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

To no one's surprise, the show is cancelled. :rip:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've never seen a show drop so sharply in quality between its first and second seasons. I've never watched Heroes though.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Sad news, I did enjoy this particular trashfire

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I've never seen a show drop so sharply in quality between its first and second seasons. I've never watched Heroes though.

It's very similar in many ways. Heroes at least had somewhat of a story ongoing and this entire season was just a big bowl of nothingness that drove itself into a corner and had to end with an out-of-nowhere cliffhanger, but I wrote enough about it.

I'll just say that I'm getting a little tired of shows that are clearly on borrowed time acting like they're the next Lost and can keep going nowhere for a decade and oh wow how did we lose 3/4ths of our viewers? Oopsie-Daisy, show is cancelled.

This show had two seasons to do something, and it never really went anywhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if it was a success I'd guess it would only get one more season before Mickey Mouse punches the walls of reality and Fox X-Men cease to be.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This was a good example of a show that tried to play to too many audiences and ended up capturing very few viewers in total.

I have good expectations for the Disney+ shows and hopefully someone involved in the production of those can take the mutant concept and run it further than what they did here.

Who knows though because the same poo poo has dragged down a lot of these shows over the years in the whole "can't use X character because what if we want to show them in a movie?" bullshit. Maybe if they make a Flash movie and it has success that people will start realizing that TV and movie audiences won't get confused by having two versions of the character running around.

But then again we're getting a second Dark Phoenix movie that's just as rushed as the first one was in terms of screen build so clearly everyone still has their head up their rear end.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entire Dark Phoenix saga is like 4 issues.

Rushing that story is fine, what it's missing is making anyone care about Jean first. You can do that in one movie, if you're not Fox.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Rushing that story is fine, what it's missing is making anyone care about Jean first. You can do that in one movie, if you're not Fox.

Sorry, I'm a purist that needs at least an entire movie of Starjammer space bullshit.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Compared to the canceling of dlc for mua2 for and the heart wrencher of canceling the age of apocalypse storyline in wolverine and the x-men, this is more a meh.

I hope the cast can get better jobs and disney can actually give us a descent x-franchise tv show, I can live with it.

If they happen to transfer half the cast to it, I'd be okay with it. :)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Jamie Chung and Sean Teale deserve to go on to much better things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Dark Phoenix is 4 issues, but what makes it great is that it has been built up over a years worth of comics since Jean reappeared in Jamaica Bay after the shuttle crashes and she has appeared to have died. So you have months of comics with the X-men, including the stuff with the Starjammers and D'ken and the M'Kraan crystal, Lilandra and Chuck bangin', the entire Hellfire Club saga, like there's a ton of stuff that builds up to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sloth Life posted:

Jamie Chung and Sean Teale deserve to go on to much better things.

Beeeeell Compton deserved better than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But beeeeeeeeeeeeeelll.