Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just started Zombieland Saga and I love how quickly the show killed off the mc, then proceeded to play satanic death metal over her slo-mo dying corpse.

E: Holy poo poo this keeps getting more ridiculous by the second

E2: and after all that the ed is... watercolors and piano.

What?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Keep going

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

ViggyNash posted:

Just started Zombieland Saga and I love how quickly the show killed off the mc, then proceeded to play satanic death metal over her slo-mo dying corpse.

E: Holy poo poo this keeps getting more ridiculous by the second

E2: and after all that the ed is... watercolors and piano.

What?

see you on the other side friend

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Meinberg posted:

see you on the other side friend

Episode 4 and I hate the CG for the performances but I think I'm pretty into the absurdity of it all.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

Episode 4 and I hate the CG for the performances but I think I'm pretty into the absurdity of it all.

Yeah, CG idols have always felt a bit too uncanny valley for me. Luckily they only do it a couple of times.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Merry Christmas Everyone!

New Seasonal Thread!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Zombieland was really hit or miss, but it stuck the landing pretty well. Gridman was just OK, never felt any real emotion for it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Gridman rules tho it feels like it got close to being a classic and instead just ended up being really good, if you catch what I'm saying lol. Episode 9 was maybe the best episode of anything this year tho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not really sure how gridman could be any better than it is

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Colonel posted:

My one pet theory that Rikka would get to be Gridwoman for a bit never saw the light :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

My one pet theory that Rikka would get to be Gridwoman for a bit never saw the light :(

Eh, I kinda feel like Rikka being Gridwoman would cut against the purpose of her character a bit. She's the true hero of the story because she's the one best able to engage with Akane - whose problems emphatically cannot be solved by punching - without punching.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh, I kinda feel like Rikka being Gridwoman would cut against the purpose of her character a bit. She's the true hero of the story because she's the one best able to engage with Akane - whose problems emphatically cannot be solved by punching - without punching.

Oh I know it would have been thematically inappropriate and am not particularly disappointed that it didn't happen. I just thought it would have been cool.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Gridman rules tho it feels like it got close to being a classic and instead just ended up being really good, if you catch what I'm saying lol. Episode 9 was maybe the best episode of anything this year tho.

Dunno what to tell ya, man. it was incredibly well crafted and had tons of great shots, but I never felt a drop of emotion for anything that happened in it. Not for the characters, Akane, the plot, nothin. Every week, my only thought afterward was, "yep, that sure was an animeass anime."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i related a lot to rikka

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk my year was so hosed up that i didn't get to watch most of anything but gridman successfully got me to catch up from the first episode two weeks before it finished

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

The big thing is that the shift in the last few episodes away from being a show with low key teenager stuff that erupts with action scenes doesn't go super smoothly, and I feel like a lot of texture and ambiguity got steamrolled into being just about Akane. Felt kinda like it was spinning its wheels. Still a really good show tho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

an actual dog posted:

The big thing is that the shift in the last few episodes away from being a show with low key teenager stuff that erupts with action scenes doesn't go super smoothly, and I feel like a lot of texture and ambiguity got steamrolled into being just about Akane. Felt kinda like it was spinning its wheels. Still a really good show tho.

i didn't really notice any kind of shift, so

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

You could remove 3-4 episodes of material from Zombieland and it would be better for it I think.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ya know, there's a perfectly healthy Gridman thread for talking about Gridman spoilers.

Captain Cappy posted:

You could remove 3-4 episodes of material from Zombieland and it would be better for it I think.

I think I'm in the middle of the drama bits now and I'm definitely just waiting for the show to stop making sense again.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Captain Cappy posted:

That would be 3-4 episodes worth of the Legendary Tae Yamada missing, so no. :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think ZLS had too much time, just time not put to good use. it'd be better to rework some of the weaker eps than just have a shorter show

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

What if ZLS was a short 🤔

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i don't think ZLS had too much time, just time not put to good use. it'd be better to rework some of the weaker eps than just have a shorter show

I agree with that, I just meant that if I had the choice between what we got and an abridged version of what we got, I'd prefer the latter.

an actual dog posted:

What if ZLS was a short 🤔

I don't think ZLS could have worked as a 12 minute show. Episodes 8 and 9 specifically couldn't really fit into that formula.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched all 12 episodes of Uzamaid because I'm a weirdo and so that you don't have to. Here are my thoughts.

At its core it's a story about two girls who help each other come to terms with the loss of a parental figure. The finale managed to get the emotional beats down pretty well. The animation was surprisingly good and the humour, when it hits, hits pretty hard.

But thanks to the shadow of the lolicon maid, this show is completely unrecommendable unless you have a specific sense of black humour or a high tolerance to that sort of bullshit.

Yes, pretty much every character except for the maid herself and the oblivious dad notices her terrible behaviour and calls her out on it hard. The girl gives as good as she gets and is pretty much never actually tempted by her bullshit. Still doesn't excuse that it's there. I wish that, at the very least, the maid would have toned it down by the finale or dropped it alltogether, but she just. Keeps. Going. Another goon mentioned how an overprotective bodyguard (I think it was doomrider?) would still have made 90% of the jokes work and would have avoided all this lolicon stuff.

I know I'm just yelling into the void again and that I should have expected this stuff just from the series description. There are definitely worse shows out there with even more hosed up views on stuff, so you could definitely be watching worse. Just don't watch this unless you're a weirdo like me and have a sense of humour to match.

I'll also have a Whopper with that rant, thanks.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched a handful of Uza eps too. I too didn't expect it to be about a grown rear end adult actually wanting to marry a small child. Even reading the description. Even when she said some ridiculous poo poo about not being interested in girls who've menstruated. It was funny the first time? I unno. There was one episode that seemed like an incredibly on point put down of all the 'cute girls doing cute things' animedom, and how creepy it would be for a person to actually be watching that. But that isn't really what the show is. It really is the first thing. Really didn't have to be.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ibblebibble posted:

I watched all 12 episodes of Uzamaid because I'm a weirdo and so that you don't have to. Here are my thoughts.

At its core it's a story about two girls who help each other come to terms with the loss of a parental figure. The finale managed to get the emotional beats down pretty well. The animation was surprisingly good and the humour, when it hits, hits pretty hard.

But thanks to the shadow of the lolicon maid, this show is completely unrecommendable unless you have a specific sense of black humour or a high tolerance to that sort of bullshit.

Yes, pretty much every character except for the maid herself and the oblivious dad notices her terrible behaviour and calls her out on it hard. The girl gives as good as she gets and is pretty much never actually tempted by her bullshit. Still doesn't excuse that it's there. I wish that, at the very least, the maid would have toned it down by the finale or dropped it alltogether, but she just. Keeps. Going. Another goon mentioned how an overprotective bodyguard (I think it was doomrider?) would still have made 90% of the jokes work and would have avoided all this lolicon stuff.

I know I'm just yelling into the void again and that I should have expected this stuff just from the series description. There are definitely worse shows out there with even more hosed up views on stuff, so you could definitely be watching worse. Just don't watch this unless you're a weirdo like me and have a sense of humour to match.

I'll also have a Whopper with that rant, thanks.

Different Goon. Mine was about how as problematic as it is, it's not as bad for the reasons you just typed way better than I did. Like yeah unless you have tolerance for it or it's your brand of black humor(neither of which are bad things), it's a really hard sell, but ultimately it's more benign I feel since we're not meant to find her actions ok compared to other shows that sell some REALLY ugly and hosed up ideas and concepts like world building that facilitates rape and violence mostly towards women and endorses racial cleansing and MRA/Incel power fantasy trip that normalizes slavery with some creepy pedophile tones and misogyny.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

e: wrong thread, but w/e

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 24, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

The reason why I feel Uzumaid isn't quite as bad is that we the viewer are supposed to find Tsubame weird and creepy hence the humor of her doing these overt displays and other stuff. Again VERY YMMV for the whole pedo thing, but we're not supposed to think that's cool. Goblin Slayer (etc)

Your defense of Uzumaid feels very similar to how people defended Goblin Slayer by saying "the rape is very serious and isn't for shock value/fetishism". It would take some top tier writers to pull off making a "cute girls" show about a lolicon while simultaneously not pandering to lolicons themselves, and I'm not sure the fine people at Doga Kobo are quite up to that. I'm not sure anyones up to that. I think it's best to just acknowledge that we sometimes put on blinders to problematic things and it lets us enjoy the better parts of something. It's not necessary to defend the parts we ignored.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

Your defense of Uzumaid feels very similar to how people defended Goblin Slayer by saying "the rape is very serious and isn't for shock value/fetishism". It would take some top tier writers to pull off making a "cute girls" show about a lolicon while simultaneously not pandering to lolicons themselves, and I'm not sure the fine people at Doga Kobo are quite up to that. I'm not sure anyones up to that. I think it's best to just acknowledge that we sometimes put on blinders to problematic things and it lets us enjoy the better parts of something. It's not necessary to defend the parts we ignored.

For all the anti-lolicon rhetoric from the characters, there's a not-insignificant amount of lolicon pandering that made me pretty uncomfortable and just undermines what the characters said. Like I said, it's definitely not a show you can enjoy unless you can at the very least tolerate that sort of stuff, and even then you'll get an average show with a few good laughs and a message and core storyline that has probably been done better in other anime.

The dynamic between the lolicon maid and the masochist maid got a few chuckles out of me, at least.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GS's ep was really good this week. JoJo was good, ace attorney wrapped up their case in a fun way with the us Attorney General showing up (also the anime writers have zero idea how the us Justice system works lol)

Anime.... Anime good??

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Cappy posted:

Oh no I 100% agree. It's more that in Uzumaid we're very clearly NOT supposed to find Tsubame ok in any capacity while Goblin Slayer very much wants us on board the full genocide train on top of all the rape stuff which yes is very blatantly there for shock and titillation(how else due you loving explain POV rape scenes). I'm not gonna say Uzumaid is a good show, but of the two I'll definetly say it's better than Goblin Slayer. I've not read Shield Hero, but nothing of what I've heard of it fills me with anything but gross and disgusted contempt so you add that to the list.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 23, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We get that you hate Goblin Slayer but it has led you to defend pedophile anime, which you have also been watching apparently?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

too many stones in this glass thread, at least we're only a couple weeks out from good new anime

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Anyway ace attorney is doing turnabout memories as the next case, which is cool. I'm glad we're going to get a lot of time with Mia and I remember this case being good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

dogsicle posted:

too many stones in this glass thread, at least we're only a couple weeks out from good new anime

Just in time to watch the new Doga Kobo lolicon anime :v:

Do not do this.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 23, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grapplejack posted:

We get that you hate Goblin Slayer but it has led you to defend pedophile anime, which you have also been watching apparently?

No. I'm not defending it as I think it's legit pretty loving creepy as hell nor do I watch it, but I do find it less offensive. I think it's the fact that we aren't supposed to take Tsubame's behavior as OK on top of society being 100% collectively NOT OK with pedophilia(as we well loving should) whereas stuff like sexual violence, false rape accusations, and racial cleansing are given these grey area treatments when they REALLY loving shouldn't. Also due to the Comedy Ghetto stuff like Uzumaid is much more ignorable and fades faster(as it should) than stuff like Shield Hero which gets tagged as "deep", "complex" or other nonsense like that which tends to linger.

Edit: The current socio political climate probably factors in a big way in all of this. Uzumaid is garbage, but it's not taken seriously and moves along. Stuff like GS and Shield Hero are gonna linger in discussion for a lot of unpleasant reasons.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 23, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know how to tell you this but the 'lesbians are pedophiles and sex offenders' rhetoric is an actual thing in japan that is actually taken seriously and does much more lasting damage than a fictional race being treated as evil in a way that kind of implies but doesnt explicitly name the jews/koreans/chinese/americans in the same way any fantasy story with evil goblins does. you're way too hung up on seventeen internet nutters with pepe twitter icons. major japanese politicians are not going to say goblins should be exterminated, but they have said that lesbians are pedophiles and sex offenders.

obviously major japanese politicians are also xenophobic but there's a long walk between abe's immigration policy and goblin slayer, while the 'gay people gently caress kids' and uzamaid connection is a trip down the road.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 23, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also I thought the depiction of Sakura's depression in ep 11 of zombieland was actually very well realized and depicted but the resolution of it in ep 12 was pretty weak and the whole bit went on a bit too long

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

2008 Sakura was basically me for most of 2018 and it hurt to watch her apathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Zombieland was really hit or miss, but it stuck the landing pretty well. Gridman was just OK, never felt any real emotion for it.
The first several episodes of Gridman felt like the clipshow version of a much better show. We got all the PLOT bits but didn't get enough of the mellow between bits.

Grapplejack posted:

GS's ep was really good this week.
It wasn't.

Endorph posted:

obviously major japanese politicians are also xenophobic but there's a long walk between abe's immigration policy and goblin slayer
there isn't

Endorph posted:

'gay people gently caress kids' and uzamaid connection is a trip down the road.
This however is 100% right.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 23, 2018