Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Gonna watch archery boys.

And probably some other stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Anymore? Western fantasy anime literally has its origins in D&D. This poo poo is baked in deep.

Of course D&D (and Tolkien by proxy) has had enormous and lasting influence on fantasy as a genre since it was created in the 70's, but a fantasy work can lean on that aesthetic without breaking the 4th wall and literally taking place inside a game world, or having baked-in overt game mechanics, or having characters come from other worlds/our world. The 90's classic Slayers is a good example; the setting is self-contained and cohesive, so the characters feel like they're real and they belong there.

There's no anime coming out these days that's just plain set in a western fantasy setting without the other bullshit. I wish there were more shows like that, because I feel like setting a story inside a game world and/or having a character from modern day Earth really robs a fantasy show of its dramatic weight and ruins suspension of disbelief.

e - Shoutout to Mahōjin Guru Guru though, that's good stuff regardless of the very JRPG setting.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 9, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Knorth posted:

That Maria the Virgin Witch was only a few years ago too wasn't it

Yeah, and it was good, but it was explicitly set in medieval France, on Earth. I would call it something like Supernatural Historical Fiction(?) rather than Fantasy.

dogsicle posted:

it's hosed up that we have gone so many posts without a single mention of Grancrest, which aired for the first six months of this year

nobody can complain if they sleep on the good fantasy series!!!

Oh drat you're absolutely right, I loved Lodoss War as a teenager and I forgot to watch Grancrest. I'll fix that!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Do it. It's an absolute blast and if anything, I'd say it's one of the better "D&D/Sword World campaign adapted as a novel/manga/anime". It's probably better than Lodoss and probably up there with stuff like early Slayers.

Oh wow, that's high praise to my ears!

Wark Say posted:

Also, is The Devil is a Part-timer! the only "reverse-isekai" that's gotten popular?

There's that recent one with the chill generic Japanese restaurant that lets in folks from other worlds, does that count? It was kinda nice.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Is there a term for a 30-60 second pre-OP non-OP introductory bit that doesn't ever change and comes before the 90 second OP in some shows, other than weak effort in saving time and money?

Yo there's no need to call out cult classic Serial Experiments Lain like that.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Literally the only thing that was keeping piracy down was convenience of access, the streaming world splintering into a million $10/mo subscription services was the dumbest possible decision for eliminating piracy

I don't think all these companies had a goal of reducing piracy though. Pretty sure the entire thought process is "Even if splitting off our content onto our own paid streaming service reduces the total size of the steaming video pie, at least we're getting our slice."

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

kater posted:

Did Sakura Quest end decently? The first few eps of the second cour were miserable as gently caress and I just kinda stopped watching it.

Yeah, I would say the ending was happy and satisfying.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've only had time to check out two shows so far this season.

Tsurune is pretty good and I'm looking forward to watching all of it. Typical amazing KyoAni quality plus !sports! and handsome young men getting all emotional with each other. Good combo.

Skeleton Book Homie Honda-san is just fuckin' awesome and everyone should be watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

More information about the LeSean Thomas/Lakeith Stanfield Yasuke anime:

quote:

While details are scarce, “Yasuke” revolves around “a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.”