Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

• The 2nd Season of the beary good Spaghetti Western-esque (Spaghetti Eastern?) Golden Kamuy

Easterns are Russian movies set in Siberia. Golden Kamui is a Northern. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm probably adding the archery anime to my list of stuff to watch this season. I used to do Western archery and am curious to see how the Japanese counterpart works. Actually, are there any prior archery anime series, Japanese or otherwise?

Unlimited Blade Works. :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Hell, same

Same, although I probably won't give it my "Most Avoided" vote at the end of the year; that dubious distinction will most likely go to Uzamaid.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It's a show about a guy who slaughters subhuman Others who are raping our women. I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder whether its popularity is a symptom of the same racist and fascist tendencies that get far-right politicians elected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

If we're talking strictly about the TV show, Fate Zero had the supreme luck to end after two seasons rather than being given several seasons worth of rope to hang itself with.

Fate/Zero sort of did have several more seasons, though, between Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Apocrypha, and Fate/Extra Last Encore.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Julias posted:

You have never watched/played/read a single fate/ work, have you?

I read the VN and watched the UBW and Zero animes, among other things. I know perfectly well that the Zero anime wasn't the start of the franchise. My point is that it wasn't the end of the franchise either.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The upcoming season mostly looks dire, but I'll definitely watch Promised Neverland and Mob Psycho.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

Magical Girl Special Forces is supremely edgelord. I read a bit of the manga back when it was announced and part of the protagonist's backstory is that when the cutesy mascot-like invaders learned her real identity they immediately kidnapped her parents and mailed them back to her in pieces. She has PTSD flashbacks when she sees people in mascot costumes on the street.

It struck me as the magical girl equivalent of superhero comics where a guy with super strength punches someone and they explode into bloody chunks.

Still sounds less tryhard than Magical Girl Site.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

honestly, in some cases killing a character off can increase their worth in the narrative and show them much more respect than just letting them hang around forever. a really good example of this is dbz, where the only character to contribute to the plot in any meaningful way after their first death is krilllin, and kind of piccolo. and a bunch of shonen that followed in dbz's footsteps have kind of the same problem of almost but not quite killing a character off and then just having that character do nothing of value or importance ever again.

Oh yeah. One Piece in particular used to do this a lot (with Pell being the worst offender because the thing that almost killed him really should have been lethal even by the standards of the One Piece world), although it does that sort of thing less now (the narrative rules seem to have changed after Ace died.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a kitten posted:

Huh.

Right on, Chivalry was actually pretty decent I thought.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1068588234324828160?s=19

Was Chivalry of a Failed Knight the one considered good and Asterisk War the one considered bad, or was it the other way around?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It would be neat if they did something like Chivalry/Asterisk on purpose as an experiment. Make 2 or 3 shows with literally the same first episode (or maybe the same script but different animation and voice acting), and give each show a different writer/director who can take the show in whatever direction they want. There are sometimes shows with a promising first episode that are taken in a not-great direction later, often by a different creative team than the writer of the first episode (e.g., Aldnoah/Zero); it would be interesting if a different writer was given a chance to pick up the story from the same first episode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

This account is a rich vein of takes to mine for the PYF Tankie thread.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ccs posted:

The state of anime reviews is just generally terrible. At least the ANN writers can string a sentence together.

I remember someone here remarking that this is why Theron Martin has a job; there's a lot of people with the same (terrible) taste as him, but most of those people can't write coherently.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, while Urobuchi had very limited involvement in Aldnoah, massive amounts of homoeroticism are hardly off-brand for him.

I think what Ranzear means is that the suits were to blame for the focus on Inaho and Slaine (because of their shippability?) to the near-exclusion of everyone else, while Urobuchi would have spread out the character focus more. I don't think that's what happened, though. I would guess that Urobuchi knew from the start that his involvement would be limited and deliberately left a bunch of different plot threads that the other writers could pursue if they wanted, and the focus on Inaho and Slaine afterwards was due to unconscious writer sexism followed by inertia. But obviously it's impossible to know for sure what happened behind the scenes.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I have some theories as to why K-on gets a different reaction now vs. 2009-2010 but they're probably stupid and wrong.

Read the old SA thread on K-on and you can watch the reaction to it evolve in real time, it's pretty wild.

Part of it was probably the Zorak-era ADTRW culture of trying really hard not to appear creepy, but to be fair to the detractors, the original manga was published in a seinen magazine, so the idea that it's aimed at lonely 40-year-old men doesn't come from nowhere. I've been told that there's a subtle difference in tone between the anime and the manga that leads to the anime having more female fans.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

remember the girls und panzer thread that just pretended it was literally about hitler and was pro-nazi propaganda

i remember this because half the time i bring up girls und panzer someone specifically mentions that thread and mentions that they thought it was actually that

I remember that too. It was mildly amusing at the time (before the global fascism surge), but it probably turned off some goons from watching GuP who would have enjoyed it.

For reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511057

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Has Asuna even been in Alicization and interacting with Kirito since the first episode

Not directly interacting with Kirito because Kirito is stuck in Underworld and she's outside it, but she is the primary viewpoint character of the Rath subplot and got involved because she was worried when they essentially kidnapped Kirito.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

Uh, they aren't affected with super aids. It's literally just regular aids. And it's honestly handled pretty well. Like it's schmaltzy but also it just, says that she literally has aids, and deals with the social ramifications of that and bias towards people with aids in a fairly straightforward way, which makes it way more down to earth than like 99.9% of stories like that and makes me respect it a hell of a lot more than stuff like your lie in april.

Plus Yuuki's a fairly likable character. Even if it hits the exact beats you'd expect it to hit it hits them in a way that makes sense for the characters and doesn't ever make Yuuki like, a cipher that exists only to make Asuna sad, she has legitimate moments of frustration and fear and reads like a pretty well-written sick kid. And again, they just give her an actual real life disease and depict it fairly realistically down to the parts where everyone including adults and people in power are lovely about it because of social stigmas about it.

It's a drug-resistant form of AIDS, so it's super AIDS, I guess, just in a non-silly way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

I disagree with the parts of this post where I understand what you're saying, which I think is half?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I am actually somewhat invested in the Goblin Slayer vs. Uzamaid debate because I haven't seen either but know that both are terrible, so both are eligible for my vote for Most Avoided for the end-of-year worst anime thread.

I will say that I remember people saying that one of the scenes making it clear the maid from Uzamaid is a pedophile involves another woman her own age asking her out and the pedo maid turning her down, so I suppose the show does acknowledge that non-pedophile lesbians exist. But Endorph probably knows a lot more about anti-lesbian predjudice in Japan than I do.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

No, it isn't 'japanese culture, as a monolith' thing.

This should be quoted in some sort of stickied introduction-to-anime-and-ADTRW thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

its one of the forum rules!

I'm tempted to lie and reply with :thejoke:, but actually I forgot about Rule #7.