Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was expecting to post in this thread about my excitement for new JoJo and Thunderbolt Fantasy, but now that I've learned about the Thunderbolt Fantasy movie I guess I'm away to watch that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Zombie Land Saga, but it sure wasn't a black comedy about an extremely strange man forming a screamo idol unit out the shambling corpses of 5 undead idols.

Sure. Why not? I'm game.

Just watched the first episode and okay yup I am totally on board. This really was a lot different than what the PV was selling.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Honda-san is a very fun, if understated, show and I'm going to stick with it. The manga has been around for a bit as far as I know, so it should have the material.

JoJo was a good first episode. I'm glad we got as far as the face licking. Everything about it seems tight, but I'm expecting it to dip quicker than Diamond is Unbreakable did given the staff changes involved, but we'll see. I've heard it had a lot of pre-production?

I'd only read the first chapter of Slime and it didn't hook me, though I'd always been meaning to get back around to it. This was a good first episode, and it made the exposition way less boring.

I'm also digging Gridman a good bit. I'm on the same page as everyone else on the mystery and hope we get something a bit more, but that was a very cool first episode and I'm really down for more of that.

I tend to watch only one or two shows a season (last season was Planet With and Tonegawa), so five shows with Zombie Land Saga makes for a very strong start for me. This seems like it'll be a good season. I'm still waiting to watch the Thunderbolt Fantasy movie with my partner before we dive into that as well.

Strange Quark posted:

The only way they could've ended Gintama this season:

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pg9dxseK2p1uhuxef_480.mp4

I've not been keeping up with the anime too well at all, but I've been reading it and yes, this is perfect. I really need to catch up to this!

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 8, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

I just saw Mirai and I still have a huge smile on my face.

I kinda wish I attended Scotland Loves Anime. That and Pancreas sounded good.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I certainly hope not. That's what killed my interest in Bahamut season 2.

They did you a favour.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's a real shame too. That first half was solid stuff, but then the show tries to justify a genocidal villain's actions even after rubbing our faces in how terrible he is.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Much like all dubs (except the good ones).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well, looks like I have an opportunity to get into this. What am I in for?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Both posts have me sold.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

If any of y'all are sleeping on Gridman this season, poo poo just got reaaaaaaal interesting in the latest episode.

It feels like it had become a bit of a sleepy show for the past couple of episodes, but this is reeling things back in.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Devilman Crybaby was my first Go Nagai anything and I thought it was pretty good! After that, I decided to check out more of his work and with the Cutie Honey anime due to air shortly after I figured the manga would be a good start.

I'm now happy to just stick to Devilman Crybaby as my one Go Nagai thing.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

'genius guy knows all the science while everyone else is a caveman' felt a bit too nerds vs jocks even for me, a certified nerd

For what it's worth, he seems to be all into when others want to get involved too. It just doesn't help when he's been the lone person from the modern era in a village of people from the post-apocalyptic stone age for a good chunk of the arc. Though, I can't say it's gotten any better with the female characters either. To call the artist thirsty is a bit of an understatement at times and I kinda hope that gets toned down a bit in the anime.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Looking at the next season now and it looks like it's going to be pretty good? Quality over quantity and, I mean, off the bat is Kaguya and Mob Psycho 100 II. The Promised Neverland is coming too. I usually end up watching 3 - 4 a season anyway.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Maybe one inspired the other?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's my special recipe for enjoying life anyway.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Didn't Wolf Children not also have a questionable take or conclusion or something on mixed children?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

smenj posted:

I guess it depends on how you read the ending. Given that to me, the whole theme of the movie seemed to be around family, and people with a foot in two cultures struggling to reconcile them both, it was a bit weird that the conclusion of the movie seemed to be that the 'solution' was to entirely abandon one side of yourself? One of the children more or less entirely gives up on being part-human, and the other gives up on being part-wolf. It'd be one thing if the movie presented this as a bit of a tragic situation that circumstances forced them into, but it seemed to instead be going for an angle that made it seem like the heroic and right thing to do?

Maybe the whole idea was that the mother shouldn't have been forcing the issue and insisting they were both part human, part wolf, when the kids clearly didn't really want to be, but that really didn't seem to be the message the film was trying to push.

This is how I remember it. I get that it's about finding your place in the world, but it also had a pretty narrow minded view of that when depicting characters that are allegories for mixed raced children, especially when Japan does have an issue with what the movie itself settles on.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Honestly if the movie gave us a bit more time in that second act to see them being accepted by both worlds, or letting them accept that they're more than just one or the other, it probably wouldn't be so bad? Being mixed race can mean struggling with acceptance from both cultures, and the ultimate conclusion the movie reached felt like it was saying both cultures couldn't coexist? Both children were unable to reconcile with one of their heritages and that's acceptable on a personal level, but it's still written by someone else. A conscious decision was still made that neither child would be able to exist as both a wolf and a human. It's also a little jarring when their wolf dad was able to balance both reasonably well.

I'm going to admit that my memory is more often faulty than anything else, and it's been a long time since I've seen the movie. I still remember that as my interpretation. I also can't really remember anything about the mother though, and that's obviously kind of important to how it expresses the mixed heritage theme too.

e:

Endorph posted:

Yes, Japan, and not every country on earth.

I was thinking specifically of their attitude towards dual citizenship here (and I wasn't intending to act like nowhere else has problems because lol being mixed race comes with a lot of baggage no matter where you are). It felt like the movie was depicting the duality as something that can't coexist, rather than that something in which you can identify more closely as either one side or another. I'm also going to admit that personal events around the time may have influenced how I interpreted the movie.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 18, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

And the daughter had her boyfriend who was totally cool with her being a wolf and didn't feel like it was a secret she had to hide at all, and even covered for her when other people were trying to 'prove' there was something strange about her. Again, that'd be an odd thing to put in if they felt like these two paths couldn't be reconciled - it's a character from the human world being totally cool with her wolf side.

You know what? This particularly feels extremely fair to me. Like I said (though probably edited in after you started your response), personal events at the time may have influenced my opinion, and I have personal stake in the issue. The movie didn't sit well with me by time we reached the conclusion, and it kind of soured a lot of what I enjoyed in the middle act. You're right though, the movie did offer opportunities to suggest that they could be reconciled, but my memory still feels like its actual conclusion was a little more concrete on the matter? Maybe it'll be worth a rewatch at some point. I'm probably just misremembering it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Both of them belong in the trash tbh.

On the LGBT note, at least we had Zombieland Saga this season. drat, was that good. I wonder how long it'll be until they announce the inevitable second season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I kept putting off Golden Kamuy because of how it was being received, but finally watched it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Been reading the manga as a result though, and I can see why folk were put off. The most glaring thing is for some reason they've been removing a lot of Sugimoto's past and motivation?