Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shneak posted:

I'd be 100% fine if he got a guaranteed returnee slot on a future season.

:same:

The dude had a vision for the shelter, and successfully instructed his tribemates on how to build it.
Sure he was loud and obnoxious, but come on. We've all known a Pat in real life. The kind of person who tries a little too hard when he finds himself in a group of new people, but once you get to know him, can be pretty cool.
At least that's the vibe I got from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Mighty Moltres posted:

:same:

The dude had a vision for the shelter, and successfully instructed his tribemates on how to build it.
Sure he was loud and obnoxious, but come on. We've all known a Pat in real life. The kind of person who tries a little too hard when he finds himself in a group of new people, but once you get to know him, can be pretty cool.
At least that's the vibe I got from him.

:same::same:

The whole cast was better than I expected from the stills, honestly. I can't imagine how lawyer guy and especially bossy newspaper lady can survive long, but I've been surprised before.

I also want a season with no idols but seeing how excited people get about them as part of their "Survivor experience" it might be kind of sad. Maybe for a returning players season go straight season1 rules.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

mancalamania posted:

ETA: Generally good premiere though. It's a good cast and the more natural scenes and confessionals are a delight coming from Australian Survivor where every sentence spoken is composed of one word each taken from 10 different sentences.

How do you figure this is happening? I'm also watching Aussie Survivor and I don't notice anything like this really at all.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My main issue with Australian Survivor is the music. There is a lot of it and it's kind of bad, or at least it was when I watched the 2016 season. Has that changed?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

My main issue with Australian Survivor is the music. There is a lot of it and it's kind of bad, or at least it was when I watched the 2016 season. Has that changed?
Nope, hasn't changed. I mean I don't think it's bad music really but they do still go pretty hard on it.

Have never noticed scenes looking over-edited or spliced though.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sharing from "The Hollywood Reporter" in case anyone else is curious what ended up happening with Pat:

quote:

Pat said he was hospitalized for three days before returning to Ponderosa, the location in Fiji where players are sequestered before and after production begins. Contestants who are voted out before the jury phase of the game eventually embark on a short vacation before returning to the United States; Pat was healthy enough to join his fellow cast members on that trip. He told THR he was back to exercising a week after the accident. Upon returning home, Pat learned he had mild spinal deterioration, common for someone in his line of work as a maintenance manager. The accident may have aggravated his condition.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The editing seems... a little better for a premiere? Like, we have everyone looking for the idol, and then Dan gets a commercial and says he's already found it. I think, wait, did I miss something, and he retells how he found it. That's alright.

Also I was not expecting him of all people to be showmancing. He seems alright though, so right now I'm rooting for him and uh, that girl who doesn't like Natalie... uh, Natalia. Man I'm gonna have to learn all these names again. John is also weirdly captivating for a wrestler with a big ego. Maybe he'll do better than the last famous John on Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I loved the confessional with Christian getting the "yahta yahta" time skip.

Don't care for the player though. They're really pushing hard for, "Hey remember David Wright? How about Hannah? You remember Hannah? These players are just like them!"

Professor Shark posted:

What were the slurs that Jessica used online?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alliances on David Tribe according to Pat:

The Five
Pat
Davey
Lyrsa
Jessica
Carl

The Nerds
Gabby
Christian

These two blocs were going to target Nick. Again, according to Pat.

Not mentioned: Bi and Elizabeth.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zesty posted:

Don't care for the player though. They're really pushing hard for, "Hey remember David Wright? How about Hannah? You remember Hannah? These players are just like them!"

How ironic and classy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

How do you not just straight pull him from the game seeing that

I suppose they will since it ends at 830. Guess this is why they did a 90 minute premier instead of the full 2 hours.

it's been 90 minute premieres for years

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

How do you not just straight pull him from the game seeing that

I suppose they will since it ends at 830. Guess this is why they did a 90 minute premier instead of the full 2 hours.

The fall Survivor premier is 90 minutes followed by the 90 minute Big Brother finale :eng101:

Also, it seems they likely did pull Pat out of the game effectively right away. Like they didn't even finish taking the tribe to their beach, dude got hurt and they stopped at some random beach location that was not their camp, started some medical work and brought in the helicopter. Like the only delay that might have existed was bringing in Jeff, but even that was probably pretty quick.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

IcePhoenix posted:

drat that slide puzzle was easy as poo poo lol

e: maybe not they just had slide puzzle jesus

I saw it for two seconds and the answer was obvious, if they got to see the possibilities when picking then that was cake

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The fall Survivor premier is 90 minutes followed by the 90 minute Big Brother finale :eng101:

Also, it seems they likely did pull Pat out of the game effectively right away. Like they didn't even finish taking the tribe to their beach, dude got hurt and they stopped at some random beach location that was not their camp, started some medical work and brought in the helicopter. Like the only delay that might have existed was bringing in Jeff, but even that was probably pretty quick.

According to interviews they just turned around and headed back to the challenge site.

I'm looking forward to hopefully some of the females busting their chops out on the physical side. John's gonna be a massive wall in challenges and Dan's no slouch, but Bi and Natalia look pretty scrappy. I don't think we'll get a Lydia from Australian Survivor, but aside from Natalie and maybe Jessica, the females look like they can handle themselves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was a better premiere than usual imo because it actually focused on the tribes and not a bunch of gimmicks

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Well, it was one Tribal cycle instead of two AND they didn't have to waste a bunch of time on tribal council(s). So yeah, more time for showing off players in those first 3 days, which is good.

Major Major Major
Apr 23, 2014

Zesty posted:

Disgusting but she would have been about 12 or 13 at the time so hopefully she's grown up.

What surprised me was Alison on the Goliath tribe. She looks to be about a late 30's woman and the survivor wiki is telling me she's 28 years old. How is she considered a Goliath? She would just be finished her residency at this point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Major Major Major posted:

Disgusting but she would have been about 12 or 13 at the time so hopefully she's grown up.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

What surprised me was Alison on the Goliath tribe. She looks to be about a late 30's woman and the survivor wiki is telling me she's 28 years old. How is she considered a Goliath? She would just be finished her residency at this point.
Survivor is killer for social comparisons. The 28 year old physician. Ugh. I'm sitting here at 29 starting a health undergrad so i can have a shot at medical school in two years. I think its because when you are a fan of the show you are all like "yeee these are my people i'd totally be on the show like them." so they form a pseudo reference group.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's too bad, part of the reason the Davids made such a comeback is Pat was really tossing those puzzle pieces around, usually in these gimmick series the big disparity comes down to strength and he was equalizing that. I agree with the people who said that was one of the more intense evacs ever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah Pat may have been a bit... rough... but he was a solid Tank for the David team.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I feel really bad for Pat, he sounded like such a genuine and funny guy on the Wigler interview. It sounds like he is really keen to try again and Probst sounded pretty positive on the guy as well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overdrift posted:

I feel really bad for Pat, he sounded like such a genuine and funny guy on the Wigler interview. It sounds like he is really keen to try again and Probst sounded pretty positive on the guy as well.

Yeah he'll be back for some returning losers season

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

She started off as a lowly middle class daughter of a medical doctor and managed to claw her way up to being a medical doctor

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I kind of hope they Bobby Jon'd that Pat guy and put him in 38 (If he had healed enough) or will put him in 39.

That's right, a Bobby Jon reference in 2018.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 28, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The divisional names never make sense, did we learn nothing from Heroes v Hustlers

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I knew Christian in college, and what you are seeing is him; frenetic, nerdy and intuitively good with algorithms. It was very difficulty to play against him in Diplomacy, too. I haven't seen the show in seventeen years so I have no idea to handicap his chances, unless they throw a ton of physical challenges at him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I knew Christian in college, and what you are seeing is him; frenetic, nerdy and intuitively good with algorithms. It was very difficulty to play against him in Diplomacy, too. I haven't seen the show in seventeen years so I have no idea to handicap his chances, unless they throw a ton of physical challenges at him.

There will definitely be physical challenges he'll need to complete in, especially towards the end. It is definitely possible to win without them, but considerably harder

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

There will definitely be physical challenges he'll need to complete in, especially towards the end. It is definitely possible to win without them, but considerably harder

I'm certain he's got the brains to make a deep run, and they don't seem to be setting him up like that CEO on Goliath at the moment. Unless he's become secretly swole in the ten years since I've seen him, the strength challenges might trip him up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm certain he's got the brains to make a deep run, and they don't seem to be setting him up like that CEO on Goliath at the moment. Unless he's become secretly swole in the ten years since I've seen him, the strength challenges might trip him up.

From what little I've seen his biggest deficit is going to be social. Making a tiny alliance and being on the wrong side of the numbers and/or just being annoying

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

The divisional names never make sense, did we learn nothing from Heroes v Hustlers

Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers.
I agree with your point, the team divisions are arbitrary and inconsistent and primarily set up so Probst can riff on the differences and create conflicts.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

I doubt he'll be winning many individual immunity challenges since most of those these days are balance/coordination/endurance based (of the flavor of stand on a tiny pole holding up a ball on a disk for as long as you can), but the rare physical challenge is one he can probably win because those are usually a big obstacle course with a very hard puzzle at the end (like both challenges in the premiere).

Of course, he can definitely win the game without ever winning a challenge (I hope that doesn't sound too condescending! I only point that out because you haven't seen the show in 17 years and I don't think that aspect of the meta-game is completely obvious to a newcomer; the challenges in the second half are a method-of-last-resort for staying alive, not something necessary to advance.
Two of the last three winners didn't win a single individual immunity challenge, and the third only won 2 at the very end largely on the strength of his puzzle-solving skills).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is this final four with fire building bullshit again or standard three or don't we know?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

mancalamania posted:

I doubt he'll be winning many individual immunity challenges since most of those these days are balance/coordination/endurance based (of the flavor of stand on a tiny pole holding up a ball on a disk for as long as you can), but the rare physical challenge is one he can probably win because those are usually a big obstacle course with a very hard puzzle at the end (like both challenges in the premiere).

Of course, he can definitely win the game without ever winning a challenge (I hope that doesn't sound too condescending! I only point that out because you haven't seen the show in 17 years and I don't think that aspect of the meta-game is completely obvious to a newcomer; the challenges in the second half are a method-of-last-resort for staying alive, not something necessary to advance.
Two of the last three winners didn't win a single individual immunity challenge, and the third only won 2 at the very end largely on the strength of his puzzle-solving skills).

I didn't think you were condescending at all, fellow goon. Even after all these years, the endgame still seems to be "Be the least unpopular*"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat, that was a bummer of an ending. I can't say I was feeling Pat but I do agree that he seemed like he could have been one of those guys who is just trying too hard and being boarish because of social flaws but once he calmed down would be a cool guy. Of course who knows if the Davids just felt that way because his exit was so tragic and unfair. But drat. A rough way to end your game and the premiere.

Otherwise a fun premiere. As usual I can't really remember names or tell many apart but that takes a few episodes. Who is the racist one? The 19 year old or someone I forgot entirely? And the guy who found the idol wasn't the fat cop, right? I feel like this cast has a lot of look alikes for my bad with names and faces problem.

And was it just me or did Johnny Nicknames straight up kick a lady in the face?

Also I really appreciate the Goliath tribe just full on embracing the "Yeah, we have everything and are the poo poo and are gonna be real rear end condescending." I'm not sure they've read that story. Then again I'm not entirely convinced Jeff has either.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jessica (19 year old) was indeed the one with the racist tweets.

Dan (idol finding guy) was indeed fat cop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fat Cop was kind of vaguely interesting? Like obviously he's one of those guys still carrying with him the insecurity of when he was fat. So maybe he's humble and not prone to the Goliath arrogance a lot of them seem to have? Or maybe he massively overcompensates to prove what a kick rear end SWAT man he is?

Robot Nerd was kind of interesting too. Like he could become unbearable fast but for now he seemed kind of endearing in his nerdiness. That great confessional edit helped him out a lot, as did him being the apparent god of slide puzzles which tends to help early in Survivor. But so far I kind of like him? I could see that wearing out real fast though.

Oh yeah, I'm really pleased to see Mike White and Johnny Hollywood end up on the same tribe because now I can definitely get my loveable idiots duo, arrogant jackasses duo, or unexpected blood rivals I was hoping for! Fingers crossed!

edit: This man is the reason they sign waivers. That and breaking your back on a boat ride.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 30, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The funny thing is that John was trying to wrestle people to slow them down but he ended up last on the mat anyway.

Fat Cop probably still has some slight insecurity - people have pointed out that he hasn't gone shirtless yet (and really, you're on a tribe with a professional wrestler), but hey, it's still the first episode.

Christian (Robot Nerd) I'm not impressed by, but I've been seriously burnt out on Survivor Nerds for a very long time, all the way back since Max/Shirin from Worlds Apart. Also see: Zeke, Cochran, etc.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 30, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I quite liked the David/Goliath theme as a framing for class divide. Certainly works a lot better than the whole White Collar vs Blue Collar thing.

Johnny Nitro straight up dropkicking a woman in the face is my jam, even though it shouldn't be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The funny thing is that John was trying to wrestle people to slow them down but he ended up last on the mat anyway.

In fairness to Johnny Tackles a rewatch made it look like Pat started it and was trying to wrestle him down for some reason. Jeff even called it out and Pat tackles Johnny again after that and just couldn't keep ahold of him. Johnny's tackle seemed to be retaliation, hence the poo poo eating grin.

The dropkick to the lady's face - while funny - seems to happen by accident because Johnny Parkour is fleeing Pat's grasp and attempts to do a smooth "through the ring ropes" thing and doesn't factor in someone coming from the opposite direction.

Here's the larger context of both. I think what was happening was Pat (and Johnny either initially or just in retaliation) decided that it made sense to try and block the other team from getting through and they only really managed to block each other.

Also Natalie nearly gets trampled to death. There's a lot going on in those 10 seconds of TV.