Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Post game interviews indicate that he was taking a gamble to take out Parvati, who he felt was the bigger threat. Not the worst thought process but still dangerous to go against the plan created by your allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I’ve been watching Heroes vs. Villains.

What in the hell was Tyson thinking?
Paid off by the producers to keep Russell in the game. :tinfoil:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

At this wrestling show it's :20bux: to get a photo or signature with Johnny Jury so I guess I'll never make it to Slamtown city council.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Was listening to a RHAP podcast a few years ago where Rob was like 'you know, I've talked to Tyson multiple times, I've talked to Russell, I've talked to Parvati, I've analyzed that episode too many times in my life to count but I still don't understand what the hell that move by Tyson was'

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Post game interviews indicate that he was taking a gamble to take out Parvati, who he felt was the bigger threat. Not the worst thought process but still dangerous to go against the plan created by your allies.
Was it more about him somehow getting the credit for taking out Parvati then? Because my understanding of the point of Boston Rob's vote split plan was that it was to safely take out Parvati, with Russell being the backup in case she somehow had an Idol, if not directly in that vote then in the one after where she would be down an ally.

The potential reward for Tyson doesn't seem to match the huge risk (Especially since it could alienate his own allies like I think you're saying), but I could be missing something here or confusing myself more.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 3, 2019

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lone Goat posted:

At this wrestling show it's :20bux: to get a photo or signature with Johnny Jury so I guess I'll never make it to Slamtown city council.

Slamtown needs revenue for municipal infrastructure.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
IIRC Tyson flipped his vote because if Russell voted Parvati and Danielle and Paravati voted Russell and Rob’s alliance stuck with the 3-3 split then Russell would have gone home 5-4 even though Parvati was the target. I think both Tyson and Russell are in agreement about that part.

Where they disagree is how much Russell manipulated Tyson into doing this. Tyson claims Russell had nothing to do with the decision but considering we saw footage in the episode of Russell telling Tyson he was voting Parvati and Tyson believing him, I’m inclined to take Russell’s side (even though I think Russell was just trying to get as many votes on Parvati as possible and not specifically organizing this exact 4-3-2 split).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Edge of Extinction twist officially released.

quote:

This season of Survivor introduced Extinction Island, a secluded location where voted out players resided for a chance to come back into the game. Upon being voted out, players were given the opportunity to exit the game permanently or to take a boat to Extinction Island, where they were to endure the elements until predetermined points during the game, at which point they were presented with the chance to return; players living on Extinction Island were given the option of permanently exiting the game at any point.

:suicide:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So its just Redemption Island?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
not sure i get it. because they don't make any references to winning challenges to stay in the game like with RI. so people who get voted out just.. sit there until the producers decide they get to come back? and then what? there has to be a catch because otherwise it's just a buffer from getting out of the game. like why would you choose to leave? i mean i guess it's possible they don't provide them with any living supplies whatsoever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpreted it as there isn't some straight forward 1-for-1 like with Redemption Island so like 4 or 5 or 6 evictees might have to just sit and wait before they all have one big challenge or something. Then the winner is back in and the rest all go back and wait with the new losers until the next time.

So like, maybe not as annoying as Redemption Island because we don't have the weekly challenge. And in theory watching a tribe of people voted out could be interesting? Or it could just be the same Redemption Island bored/depressed footage since they don't actually have any game to play.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's the outcasts twist mixed with exile island. Just what the audience has been begging for. :suicide::suicide::suicide:

It only exists to protect their precious four. It's the EXACT same reason Redemption Island was a thing. We never loving learn, do we?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like they are just gonna have to survive to be on Extinction Island?

This article covers the twist pretty well (may have some spoilers though) - http://insidesurvivor.com/everything-we-know-about-the-edge-of-extinction-twist-so-far-37267

Seems that any players still on Extinction Island at the merge get to be on the jury... even if that means the entire cast is on the jury...

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I guess the buzz is Extinction Island will be really barren and hard to survive on and that's suppose to be the big incentive to quit, but I wonder if there will be more to it. Maybe they'll be periodically tempted/bribed to leave the game with money or whatever?

Without some other incentive to leave, it's definitely a weird mechanic. "Would you live on a deserted island in harsh conditions just for the *chance* to win the game????" already has an answer and the answer is "Yes, see seasons 1-37."

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mancalamania posted:

I guess the buzz is Extinction Island will be really barren and hard to survive on and that's suppose to be the big incentive to quit, but I wonder if there will be more to it. Maybe they'll be periodically tempted/bribed to leave the game with money or whatever?

Without some other incentive to leave, it's definitely a weird mechanic. "Would you live on a deserted island in harsh conditions just for the *chance* to win the game????" already has an answer and the answer is "Yes, see seasons 1-37."

Well, I think it depends. At least the theory of Extinction Island is going to be far more extreme than the current island life. Although maybe still not as bad as they had it on Africa though...

Really depends how much food they decide to give them... or how much they will make the castawayed castaways (see what I did there) forage and actually Survive on their own.

At least in the current game, they have challenges every day or two and tribal council. They actually have stuff to do.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm sure it will suck but I'm hoping

STAC Goat posted:

maybe not as annoying as Redemption Island because we don't have the weekly challenge.

I don't know why they can't run One World or Blood vs Water into the ground instead of the gimmick continually rejected by players and loathed by fans.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i wouldn't mind seeing one world tried again with a less awful cast, honestly.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I was very pleasantly surprised by the entirety of DvG, I’m going to maintain optimism through at least the first five minutes of this extinction bullshit. Could be a looooooong season, though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I figure they’ll give them like 1500 calories a day to share among the cast on EI and tell them “good luck”.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

What if there was some kind of golden boy island macgyver that would normally get voted out for being a threat but who in this season could successfully survive on extinction island until they win a challenge, and then win the game?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

What if there was some kind of golden boy island macgyver that would normally get voted out for being a threat but who in this season could successfully survive on extinction island until they win a challenge, and then win the game?

Don't be silly, this isn't South Pacific :downs:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

This, but they should be one tribe, or at least have to actually live together. Putting them into two camps decently far away from each other made the twist moot (save for Colton, who quit anyway).

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
This is a twist straight outta Swedish Survivor.
They sit there till merge and untill like final 5.
Compete in a challenge to get back.

Winner of that seasoon surprise surprise was no other than the guy who sat majority his time in that island coming back at final 5 and winning whole thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New thread going up on Wednesday.

I'm looking for a thread title and a banner image.

Nexal posted:

This is a twist straight outta Swedish Survivor.
They sit there till merge and untill like final 5.
Compete in a challenge to get back.

Winner of that seasoon surprise surprise was no other than the guy who sat majority his time in that island coming back at final 5 and winning whole thing.

If I was on the jury and didn't care who won, I would spite vote the person who played the least because gently caress this gimmick.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 8, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

not sure if this will fit but

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Survivor 38: Edge of Extinction - The only winning move is not to play.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor 38 - Edge of Cancellation

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gotta have a strained pun title

Survivor 38 - Edgic? It stinks!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zesty posted:

New thread going up on Wednesday.

I'm looking for a thread title and a banner image.

If I was on the jury and didn't care who won, I would spite vote the person who played the least because gently caress this gimmick.

Big Brother routinely brings back players late in the game and almost without fail the entire house resents the poo poo out of it and vows to make sure they never win. Like sometimes it's in the minority's interests to use them and sometimes someone deems them a goat because of the resentment. But I can think of one player who wasn't immediately depowered as a player upon return and that's basically because he just kept winning poo poo as everyone else self destructed, and he still finished fifth.

Survivors a different game and maybe a player can do enough to gain respect and maybe the shorter time and harsher conditions means less resentment and maybe there's just a real rear end in a top hat to sit next to. But being voted out once and returning is always going to be a red mark against you.

Survivor 38 - shut up about Big Brother!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can just look at Pearl Islands to see how people in the game felt about those that came back in.

6-1.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

You can just look at Pearl Islands to see how people in the game felt about those that came back in.

6-1.

If Ozzy got to FTC in South Pacific I struggle to imagine a scenario where he doesn't win.

This is part of the reason that Sophie Clarke is one of my favourite winners, because she denied that shitbag a million dollars.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

If Ozzy got to FTC in South Pacific I struggle to imagine a scenario where he doesn't win.

This is part of the reason that Sophie Clarke is one of my favourite winners, because she denied that shitbag a million dollars.

And I maintain that if Coach had gone up there and told the jury that his religious zealot leader thing was all an act, he'd have won (or should have, at least). Instead, he decided to double down on it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Adus posted:

I thought it would be cool to do "1 giant tribe" every challenge teams are picked at random for immunity and school yard for reward.

Alliances would get formed at rewards, but immunity would be a totally different story since you might get put with your alliance or you might not and it would incentives expanding your social boundaries.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

That's only because he was seen as the only hope of defeating the Cult of Coach. It was a very specific circumstance and game dynamic that made a hypothetical Ozzy win possible. It depends heavily on the jury, but with most game-focused juries, being voted out is a huge stigma that is hard (but not impossible) to overcome.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also because he had no blood on his hands. It's like the winners who go on immunity/idol runs late and are ineligible getting voted out by people that were running the strategic aspect of the game (Mike Holloway, Ben Driebergen, and Michelle Fitzgerald are recent examples, there are plenty more), except you skip the part of actually winning multiple immunity challenges by not even being in the game.

So you have a huge advantage by doing Literally Nothing. This is compounded by being a returning player, who were probably voted out for being threatening, rather than annoying (eg: Lil).

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Zesty posted:

6-1.

Here's the thing tho -- the argument there (besides nobody liking Lill) was that they did nothing there.
It's very easy to go "I had to survive on the island and I was still doing [x]" versus there being no evidence the producers didn't give you steak every night for a week while people were starving.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In this case though there will be the 14 jurors who also spent the entire game on Extinction Island, they'll back you up

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
It stinktion!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SalTheBard posted:

I thought it would be cool to do "1 giant tribe" every challenge teams are picked at random for immunity and school yard for reward.

Alliances would get formed at rewards, but immunity would be a totally different story since you might get put with your alliance or you might not and it would incentives expanding your social boundaries.

and no one would get it. Players and commentators alike would say they got screwed by random chance rather than they failed to expand their social game.

and Jeff would never go for this idea because it then becomes okay to vote out strong challenge players since you can't rely on them helping whatever team you're on that day.

curiousCat posted:

Here's the thing tho -- the argument there (besides nobody liking Lill) was that they did nothing there.
It's very easy to go "I had to survive on the island and I was still doing [x]" versus there being no evidence the producers didn't give you steak every night for a week while people were starving.

Are they off their gag order about production secrets yet? I can't remember if that's 10 or 15 years. I'd like to know if the Outcasts were actually fed pretty well like the rumor says.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well, I think it depends. At least the theory of Extinction Island is going to be far more extreme than the current island life. Although maybe still not as bad as they had it on Africa though...

You talking about the season with Sugar's Island? I know a couple times someone else went, but that whole season felt like "every day is gently caress with Sugar day" as they sent her back to exile over and over and over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They meant Africa-Africa, season 3. The conditions were notoriously harsh (short of maybe Marquesas, which Jeff cites as Literally The Worst). They lived on a barren plain literally inside fences/cages to keep them safe from wildlife.