Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That ad brought me here right when I was lamenting to myself at having nowhere to talk about this dumb show. I want Angelina and the horny idiot gone ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm awful at names so I had to look it up, but yes. Though, he does have two goddamn idols so he will be hard to get rid of, but he's not good with keeping a secret so maybe they'll get him to blow them on his island gf or something. Except I can't even remember her face or name so she might be background noise enough to coast by?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

has there been a worse challenge than the digging challenge that led to like three medevacs a couple seasons ago? i’ll even throw amazing race eating challenges in there too

What's the deal with trying to find these amazing race eating challenges online? I've even looked up specific challenge names and gotten nothing. Are they just super stingy with highlights or nobody cares enough to upload clips?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hated wrestleman at first, but he was definitely my least disliked Goliath by the end of it. Seems kind of like a pattern for Pro Wrestlers, or maybe you just don't hear much from the pro wrestlers who are huge dickbags irl.

Also, I'm watching season 1 right now for kicks and it's cool to see how the show has evolved and also neat because none of these people really have a frame of reference for how to play the game and poo poo yet. Also someone got voted off because some dingus is just voting in alphabetical order?!?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 16, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was happy to see Alec go, but I always love someone trying to struggle deal when they know what's coming. I like Angelina now. The negotiation thing was a cool move and I think she did it well, even moreso after reading the behind the scenes stuff. Christian is awesome, I really hope it makes it to the end. I think he's too much of a likeable character to make it that far, barring immunity streaks or something crazy. I also loved the reversal on don carl, he was a good sport about it though.

Since I last posted I started watching Survivor from the beginning, judiciously skipping ahead when it's a season or stretch of episodes I don't care about. My first impressions are what a weird trip through culture and time it's been. The way they handle and talk about race, sexuality, gender, religion, politics, etc is just really surprising and shocking at times. Despite having lived through those time periods, I just kind of forgot how poo poo was. Thing that made me most uncomfortable though was all the praying, feel like for a few seasons there they really had what felt like a bunch of praying to me. Also one time I think a dude in a confessional was like "u prayed to ur god for help but actually my god says ur god sucks and u should go" or some poo poo. I think I'm on 12 right now, kind of meh season, wannabe chris d'elia dude is kind of an entertaining hate magnet. First redemption island season and it's kind of... pointless so far? Also why doesnt anybody even built the most rudimentary of shelters when they are there, seems like they all just curl up under a rock or something.

So far I think the first, the all-star, the one before all-star have been my favourites, but there were a few more I just can't think of right now that were great too.

The most baffling thing I've seen is this one resident doofball guy was up against the nicer army type guy who kind of sounded like jack donaughy's biological dad in 30 rock. It was down to them and some cling-on, and the alan alda army guy makes an offer to bowlcut dweeb to take him to the final 2 if he jumps, and it's pretty solid he's to be trusted on that offer. Other dude is like "pfah no u, im never jumping" and then they go on for like 10 loving hours more and this doofus goes "how about this, I jump off, you win and take the scrub instead of me." Totally out of nowhere! It seems like the punchline to some gag where you trick someone into negotiating themselves comically against themselves. Dude even gives him one more chance like, "you sure bro, that was dumb as hell and we won't fault you for not being a moron here." It's tied to respect or him wanting to make good with the other tribemates, something that has seemed to pop up quite often. Seems confusing to me. Mending relationships with someone who will be your jury... that makes sense to me. Opting out of 1million/100k for the sake of what? self-image(largely out of your control in editing)? friendship? Like, does he think by letting his buddy win a million bucks he'll get some splashback or something?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope Ian kicks himself every night about that. What a spaz.

Also, these early seasons the period makeup on the live winner reveal make for a lot of survivors looking worse in their own clothes and makeup than they do on the island. There have been a few times where I struggle to pick out the cuties of the season at first on the live episode because they've been replaced with somebody's mom, but it's just them in bad 00s makeup.

Okay season 12 is done, kind of a snoozer. But good god, I just started the race wars season. JFC, 2006.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 4, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe the joke's on us and when we die he'll be up there sitting pretty with all of his respect bucks he cashed in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spergatory posted:

People have that whole Ian and Tom situation all wrong. To really understand what Ian did there, you need to understand three things:

1. Ian was not beating Tom in that challenge. Ian was playing with an injured foot and Tom was more or less fighting fit. There was no situation where Tom falls off that platform before Ian, and therefore no situation where Ian sits in the final 2 without him. Tom's "I was about to fall off!" was a playful jab at Ian, not a true statement. SOURCE: Tom Westman's and Ian's interviews with Survivor Oz.

2. Ian was not beating Tom in the final 2. The two of them played almost the exact same game, but Tom was just better. He won more challenges, pissed off fewer people, and didn't stuff up the endgame in front of the jury. At most, Ian gets votes from Katie and Coby. Tom Westman was winning Survivor Palau and there was nothing Ian could do to stop him.

3. 1st place - $1,000,000. 2nd place - $100,000. 3rd place - $85,000. The gap between first and second place winnings is $900k. The gap between second and third is $15k. Since we've already established that Ian was not winning, his choice boiled down to whether he wanted to be second or third. "But why would he choose third if second gets him more money?" Well, that's simple; did you see what happened to Katie? Ian knew the jury was mad at him and he was already feeling pretty beaten down, so he essentially paid $15,000 of house money for the privilege of not being dragged through the mud by his peers on national television.

He gets to go out on his own terms, seem generous to Katie, and look like a stand-up guy to the public (which was more important back then). Plus, instead of staying on the island or another day, only to then have to sit in the final two for hours trying in vain to defend himself while everyone yells at him (something we already know he is bad at), he gets to go to Ponderosa, eat, recover, and space out until it's his turn to ask a question at FTC. I wouldn't call it a "win," because only Tom was really winning there, but I'd say the intangibles he gained were probably worth what he paid for them, especially given that he wasn't paying with his own money.

Hmm, I still think it was a stupid move, but I can better see where it came from with this perspective. The cultural strength of Survivor is another thing that's been crazy to me watching these seasons in order. Like when what's her face leaves the reunion show because the audience is being like vicious and Jeff/production are not helping. Like, she stood up to tell everyone "hey, we're real people so you can hurt our feelings and poo poo" and everyone booed her like she was some heretic. Looking back, I do remember some of that Survivor fervor. Watched it with some of my family, we'd talk about it and poo poo. Got pissed when season was boring or had nobody we cared about, you'd see the cast on magazines and tv interviews and junk. Sometimes people's attitudes and behaviour seems confusing until you put in context that they were on a national stage and were almost auditioning to be a celeb-lite during their time on the show.

Is there a specific season or streak of them when things kind of change as the country moved on. For a while it felt like everything coming out was another drat reality show but like then like cable and then internet kind of made it so that there was too much of everything so it never reached critical mass. Now it's just kind of it's own beast interwoven throughout all sorts of shows, and gently caress even youtube and twitch and who even knows or cares what authenticity is or even means anymore.

I also didn't realize third place was so close to 2nd. I guess yeah, personally I might not want to sit there and get a public shaming, then again, if I already sunk 12 hours in, I'd be a victim of sunk cost and feel obligated to continue anyway. 15,000 is still a lot of money, that's more than half of what I've ever made in a year. No telling how poor Ian was at the time, though. Plus, 85k is already such a big boon in comparison, that's like 3 years of life you don't have to go to work. Heck, even assuming 50% lost to taxes, 42.5k is basically two years of not working for me. Or maybe 42k is enough money to do the tricks to turn your money into bigger money. How much did people get for appearances on TV shows and magazines and stuff back then?

Oh!

Another move that stuck out to me was someone being given the chance to turn down a car prize but 4 other people win cars instead in Guatemala. Cindy ended up not winning, but I don't think she was either way. To me, outside of the game, 4 cars > 1 car is hard for me to get around. I don't even think of myself as an especially selfless or giving person, but I guess from a utilitarian gut feeling, 4 cars is just flat out more good generated than keeping one for yourself. The more selfish part of me feels like giving the 4 cars instead also is advantageous in how someone might feel like they owe you, how it might endear you to the public, and maybe it's a The Golden Axe fable kind of thing where you do the "right" thing and surprise you get a car anyway just for being cool and the car is really just advertisement paid out of some marketer's per diem anyway, and giving away 4 gives us a reason to talk about it.

edit: okay I lied, and I have nowhere else to talk about this: Survivor Cook Islands/race season. There's a tribal where everyone is openly hostile to resident doucher Jonathan and it's one of my favourite tribals ever. "You're a rat!" Hahahaha -- and he doesn't even go home!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 5, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vernacular posted:

Its kinda something to think about a season like Cook Islands even getting the green light, let alone in today's social climate. I never actually watched it. Was it pretty awkward at times? Just cringing at the thought of Jeff hammering away at the racial theme like he does for the themes of new seasons like David vs Goliath, MvGX, etc.

It had awkward moments, but mostly just because it's Survivor. There was some racial ham and poo poo at the beginning, but relatively few cringe moments related to that. I was actually kind of disappointed, I was really expecting to be flipping my lid every episode over bass-ackwards 00s politics, but the premise of it alone is weirder than anything that happened on it.

I don't think I'd be good at survivor, but I'd be fun on survivor. Definitely make it at least part ways through but I'm totally ending up on a tribe that is slow to start and gets dominated by the other tribe until they throw a challenge or someone doesn't poo poo for 2 weeks and has to leave.

Pinterest Mom posted:

speaking of cook islands: oh no

Wow, I was wondering for a moment why you shared that but drat, that's a pretty evil move. I wish we could vote him and Facebook off the island.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Actually I'm sure there's some community of people out there who are convinced the game is rigged for Davie and Nick. It's a big world. Somewhere someone is writing a scribe about how Angelina is Parv 2.0.

What do you mean by this? I'm watching this season right now, I know she wins but how was it rigged for her? Also, I think I really like this season. It's pretty funny, all of these blindsides with people who have idols, and one massive goober who wins immunity and gives it up just as a gesture of goodwill even though he is the obvious target. One of the dumbest things I've seen so far but also one of the best darkside plays.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where do y'all watch the episodes on wednesdays? Seems like CBS doesn't throw the episodes up until the next day sometimes. Obviously I can't watch it on TV since TV don't exist anymore.

curiousCat posted:

Parvati doesn't win without Fairplay's quit and the last elimination of the season happening.

Ah, okay I see. Fairplay quitting was such annoying bullshit, doubly so how he tried so desperately to frame it as him becoming a better person or good dad or whatever.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 13, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Christian's interviews just make me sadder he won't get to be in the final grilling. Christian shaving his beard off at Ponderosa is way worse, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zesty posted:

Just noticed on my draft page that no one has won immunity twice and Angelina is the only active player who hasn't won it.

Also Pony/Poison count.

There are Survivor drafts? Is that like fantasy football or whatever with Survivor instead? Also, what is pony/poison?

Just finished season 18 Tocantins. I ended up rooting for Sierra for whatever reason, I think I'm predisposed to wanting to back up whoever is getting bullied, especially if they manage to get someone else kicked before they get theirs. Some very satisfying vote offs though, Tyson and Coach evictions are some of my favourite yet. Has Coach ever owned up to his bizarre lies or has he integrated bullshit into his core being and can't do that within unraveling his own existence? I also feel/dread he's someone who is going to be back on another season.

Is the winner of the season also being the winner of the sprint player of the year going to be a recurring theme? Like, it's kind of annoying the sole survivor is even an option to begin with but presumably they do it before anyone can know that. Last couple seasons it hasn't even seemed like the most likeable person had won.

edit:

Starting season 19. I know squatty Russell is a notorious reality star type guy and I already see why. I have some vague recollection of hating this dude, though I don't think I ever saw this season when it aired. Was he on Big Brother before this and was notable there for being a piece of poo poo person too, or am I just misremembering everything and maybe I did actually see this season at some point?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 18, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell was also on the last season of Australian Survivor. He went in thinking he was a God and then got voted out with an idol pretty much right away lol.

Hahaha I was checking out the australian version and saw the start of that season. I kind of got the feeling that it was basically just a promotional appearance more than anything.

Also this season had this psycho dude named Ben and he was the most hateable character I've seen in anything in a long time. He even looked like a movie villain, shock of white hair and devilish wolf eyes. I just wish he'd said that poo poo today so he could have gotten a proper raking over his open racism, they got a little heated back then, but you could tell it was still kind of taboo to even accuse someone of being racist when they are being racist.

and oh poo poo forgot the finale was on!? regret not sorting out a legit way to watch it live last week.

edit: gently caress it, cbs all access you win this time.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 20, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god tv commercials forever

also I'm not used to not being able to skip ahead and see who gets voted off

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao this chick with the pigtails i dont even recognize is going to win. i kept thinking she was on the jury or something, where the hell did she come from?

edit: whoa wtf, was not prepared for the flash forward to the live event. im guessing this is something they start doing in these later seasons?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the pole bucket thing is one of the challenges I'd like to just try. Seems like a fun game and it would be exciting to be up on a wobbly ocean pole.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yessss poo poo stirring for bad reasons, on the like second to last day hahahaha

pffft talkin bout taking mike out? this bunch doesnt have the guts to make waves

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have not seen that season but i've seen survivor cringe compilations enough to recognize him, looks like he's done well finding a million somewheres

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is mike being so weird

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mike I give that vote stinger a D-

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
loving told you these dweebs couldnt pull off a move

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well geez, I guess I have to root for Nick now? Man, bring back that lady in the boyscout uniform last minute for surprise final tribal.

Well Angelina would be most entertaining victory, so I suppose I'm still rooting for her

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 20, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
KKISS THE BALL HAHAHA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh god she is going to win, why focus on that crybaby spot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Poque posted:

Cuz she's going home right now

why wouldn't he take her? has she done anything in this game at all? i am not convinced she was even in this season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you might be right. plus ive watched like 20 seasons of survivor in a couple of weeks so thats a lot of time to forget her

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Angelina victory please, based jeff

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't gotten to the seasons where they divide up the TC like this, explicitly stating the social portion or whatever. Seems like the same basic questions though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aaaaahh yess Angelina delivers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mike's reward should just be ~the journey~

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
christian YUCKY stop it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
um he just said he liked this season!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they forgot to read angelinas secret votes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what's the story behind douchey mustache bro?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all I'm watching season 20 heroes vs villains, and this one boy JT gave Russell from the other tribe his hidden immunity idol and a hand written letter. Ahahaha and the best part is I bet this insane move will work in neither sides favour and I'm hoping to see someone be voted off with idol in pocket or just a whiffed idol play.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Umm yeah I was bout to edit that post to say, wowza. I actually skipped ahead after the immunity challenge and I'm now going back to see what drama played out to result in this double idol play. I loved Parvati before but hahaha what a boss. Special bonus to hear Sandra so delighted to receive her idol gift and Parvati handing them out like Santa Claus. I feel like this totally makes up for any coattail riding flak she got on her winning season. I would totally love for her to win this again, even though I totally wanted Amanda to in their season. Don't think it'll happen because she just blew her big wad but kind of opens herself up as a huge target and plus I just kind of think they wouldn't let somebody win twice? Though I suppose they could have a final 2/3 of all winners or just winner(s) with some hated peeps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This little moment of Amanda and Danielle fighting over the Idol clue in their reward has me cracking up. Reminds me of fighting with my younger siblings when we were kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That would have been an even better Angela moment for sure.

Also I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned a dude not counting on two women talking to one another for his scheme to work and I think that's Russell in this episode. He like starts panicking when Parvati mentions talking to Danielle in such a suspicious way, it's hilarious.

Oh, well, he ended up getting his way anyway.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 23, 2018