Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am cautiously optimistic about Johnny Mundo because while he's built like a star leading man everything I've ever heard him say suggests he's a hugely awkward dork. I could see that going ether way as terrible villain or amazing hero.

Also I fully expect Mike White to be exactly like I remember him from movie/s. Which is basically what I hope Johnny Mundo is.

Basically I'm hoping Johnny Mundo and Mike White either

a) form a wacky duo of loveable losers.
b) form a horrible duo of arrogant rear end in a top hat losers.
c) hate each other and vow to destroy each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a broken record so everyone probably hates me for saying it over and over, but I don't care at all about the theme. We all know how its going to go. 3 weeks in there will be a tribe swap and 3 weeks later there will be another one. The theme will only really matter in so far as what Jeff pushes and a few players adopt as their personalities. And the big rear end wrestler was probably always going to adopt a "goliath" persona and the skinny middle aged nerd was probably always going to take the "david" persona.

I have to work up my enthusiasm because Big Brother really killed it with their season, but I'm sure I'll be into it by the first tribe swap when I start to remember people's names besides Johnny Blaze.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also look forward to us wrestling fans annoying the rest of you by calling Johnny Superstar by every one of his dozen names and hundreds of made up ones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat, that was a bummer of an ending. I can't say I was feeling Pat but I do agree that he seemed like he could have been one of those guys who is just trying too hard and being boarish because of social flaws but once he calmed down would be a cool guy. Of course who knows if the Davids just felt that way because his exit was so tragic and unfair. But drat. A rough way to end your game and the premiere.

Otherwise a fun premiere. As usual I can't really remember names or tell many apart but that takes a few episodes. Who is the racist one? The 19 year old or someone I forgot entirely? And the guy who found the idol wasn't the fat cop, right? I feel like this cast has a lot of look alikes for my bad with names and faces problem.

And was it just me or did Johnny Nicknames straight up kick a lady in the face?

Also I really appreciate the Goliath tribe just full on embracing the "Yeah, we have everything and are the poo poo and are gonna be real rear end condescending." I'm not sure they've read that story. Then again I'm not entirely convinced Jeff has either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fat Cop was kind of vaguely interesting? Like obviously he's one of those guys still carrying with him the insecurity of when he was fat. So maybe he's humble and not prone to the Goliath arrogance a lot of them seem to have? Or maybe he massively overcompensates to prove what a kick rear end SWAT man he is?

Robot Nerd was kind of interesting too. Like he could become unbearable fast but for now he seemed kind of endearing in his nerdiness. That great confessional edit helped him out a lot, as did him being the apparent god of slide puzzles which tends to help early in Survivor. But so far I kind of like him? I could see that wearing out real fast though.

Oh yeah, I'm really pleased to see Mike White and Johnny Hollywood end up on the same tribe because now I can definitely get my loveable idiots duo, arrogant jackasses duo, or unexpected blood rivals I was hoping for! Fingers crossed!

edit: This man is the reason they sign waivers. That and breaking your back on a boat ride.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 30, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The funny thing is that John was trying to wrestle people to slow them down but he ended up last on the mat anyway.

In fairness to Johnny Tackles a rewatch made it look like Pat started it and was trying to wrestle him down for some reason. Jeff even called it out and Pat tackles Johnny again after that and just couldn't keep ahold of him. Johnny's tackle seemed to be retaliation, hence the poo poo eating grin.

The dropkick to the lady's face - while funny - seems to happen by accident because Johnny Parkour is fleeing Pat's grasp and attempts to do a smooth "through the ring ropes" thing and doesn't factor in someone coming from the opposite direction.

Here's the larger context of both. I think what was happening was Pat (and Johnny either initially or just in retaliation) decided that it made sense to try and block the other team from getting through and they only really managed to block each other.

Also Natalie nearly gets trampled to death. There's a lot going on in those 10 seconds of TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just didn't seem terribly valid in this comp from either Pat or Johnny's perspective. The second leg was one person and the third leg was fairly simple. You're only tiring them out for that first obstacle course leg and no matter how effective you are you're maling yourself the last one out.

But it was funny. I'm sad Pat won't be around to try and wrestle the wrestler more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Johnny BodyFat does seem like he kind of made the cardinal mistake of coming into Survivor totally jacked instead of with a little pot belly. He definitely seems like a candidate to be unable to get out of bed due to lack of food by the tribe swap or the one who eats everything and pisses everyone off and gets voted out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've seen a LOT of Johnny Splice promos and I'm personally willing to give Survivor the benefit of the doubt that doing that kind of editing is the only way to get a sentence out of him that doesn't include "turd burgers" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygO7AiWH9AQ&t=34s

garthoneeye posted:

Me too.

Not so much in confessionals, but at Tribal Council I hated his loving face every time he said anything.

It was the opposite for me. He was really grating on me in the confessionals but he seemed a little more natural when he was actually talking to people in Tribal. Either way I can see turning hard on him at any moment.

And reveling in being a swing vote blindside in the first Tribal isn't really a good sign. And he his main two allies are that guy who was all "I'm just gonna form a named alliance with everyone and self destruct reaaaaaaal fast" and the girl who incorrectly thought all her friends were lying to her and then starting begging for help. So I dunno that I feel good about this guy's game.

IcePhoenix posted:

Might have just been the editing but Bi not noticing how much her vague reassurances were spooking Gabby was pretty poor play as well.

Yeah, the blindsided people were just all a little too comfortable especially Bi and Jessica. Like, you gotta be able to read when your ally wants some reassurance about the game plan and not sketch them out. Gabby was obviously too anxious and reading into it, but the game is managing your allies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think we can say this early. Its possible that "do you want to play with me?" moment was an isolated incident and maybe the girls really didn't talk any game with her and she'll get more comfortable with Christian or something. But it was a rough first impression.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And I mean its even possible she did it intentionally because she thought the "scared little girl" thing would work on Christian as it did. Who knows?

Its one instance so we just have to see how she plays going forward. She seems like she'll probably survive blindsiding/betraying half the tribe because a bunch of other people did too. So if she doesn't make a habit of it she could be fine.

There's also a thing I thought I noticed where Jessica only got worried when there was a 4th vote against her. So its possible she expected Gabby to vote with Lyrssa and Cowgirl? Maybe the three of them were very obvious in their scheming? Or maybe Gabby was right and she was outside of the group and not trusted? Or maybe Jessica's reaction shots were taken out of context to increase the drama? Who knows?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking it. Its fun to talk about our first impressions and see if players live up to them or prove them wrong.

Its kinda why I don't really do the Pony/Poison thing. For me the fun isn't really in picking a favorite and rooting for them, its in just watching the game develop and see who wins me over/impresses me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just forgot it or the guy existed until this moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm late but, yeah, Jeremy just seems like a petty rear end in a top hat who can't accept he sabotaged his own game. Like, he describes the Angelina/Johnny thing as "one sided" so he's not even claiming its a "showmance." I guess a "flirtmance" or the cuddling at night thing? Either way it just sounds like he was a dick and made an enemy on his tribe and then he decided to burn them months later to save face. gently caress him.

I'll give credit to whatshername (Angelina? Natalia?) for recognizing that Natalie isn't a threat but Jeremy will cause trouble but she didn't actually seem to be able to flip that vote. Jeremy seemed like he just blew himself up for her. And that "get free meals" thing was just gross. gently caress her.

I'm kind of impressed with Johnny Cuckold's gameplay but it almost seems like being the nice beast guy just is setting himself up for that post merge "we gotta get him out before he wins this thing" boot.

And yes, I'm 100% on board with the proposed City Council of Slamtown initiative.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It always seems that way, but then someone gets a confessional after merge and we're like, "Where did that person come from?"

I totally saw a lady in tribal who I didn't recognize at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that's just good editing.

But also, he seems to say "Slamtown" a lot. Johnny Catchphrase is kind of a huge dork.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Angelina is the one who orchestrated the boot, Natalia is the one whose confessionals have pretty much 100% been 'I can't stand Natalie, she needs to go'.

I sincerely thought those were the same people. I'm terrible at this. It wasn't one person saying "I hate Natalie and she's not a threat so I want Jeremy out and I get free stuff in slimy ways"? That was really two different people?

ApplesandOranges posted:

If John can keep enough shields around or form a really strong twosome ala J.T., he's one of the most likely winners. If I were him I'd aim to get out as many schemers (like Mike) as quickly as possible.

I mean, I think its too early to be calling potential winners but he does seem to be much savvier than I expected. Recognizing the need to just be social and make connections early on and not get caught up in the scheming, while also recognizing the need to identify who will be an asset to him and who will be a threat. That's a good sign.

He just seems like such an obvious "lets get him out before he can win immunity every time" target. Especially if he's well liked too. But he does seem to have the stuff to potentially set himself up well enough to combat that. Someone like Natalie who gets dismissed by everyone else can prove to be a pivotal swing vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Once the first swap comes it will start to shake out the people I'm confusing with each other or outright not noticing (I swear, some Goliath showed up out of nowhere... based on the OP it would be Alison). The little tribal cliques will form and help me put names to faces and figure out who people are. Until then its just two big masses of people and I won't pick up on it unless you're heavily featured or unique in some way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

I mean the swap is next episode

I'm aware. I was speaking in general terms that the swap is usually when I start to make sense of this stuff better and figure out who everyone is. So like right now I can't tell Angelina and Natalia apart enough to know their names without help. When a swap happens either (a) they'll get split apart and I'll have an easier time, (b) they'll stay together as part of a Goliath minority so there'll be more focus on that smaller group making it easier to remember the members, or (c) they'll be part of a Goliath majority and I maybe still won't know who they are. So odds are solid.

It's just a shake up that amongst other things puts them in new social and game situations that might get them more screen time or just stand out more to my own personal inability to keep 20 peoples names and faces straight without a concentrated effort.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But also Natalie appears to be kind of terrible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Am I missing a joke/reference or is Kara a dog? Because that would be really classy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I genuinely wasn't clear on that. Knowing his dog is named Kara and assuming that blonde is Kara does make it seem like not a thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

There was a scene where Kara asked Dan if he knew Supergirl was named Kara. Dan said yes and that his dog was named Kara. They confused each other a bit because they pronounce Kara differently (Dan's dog is car-uh and the Survivor player is care-uh)

Yeah that rings a bell after someone explained it. I just didn't remember it on the first go and was wondering if there was a answer for that to explain that he wasn't calling her a dog. Which there was. So I'm glad Erik's just a mediocre cartoonist/comedian and not a gross misogynist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That seemed like an incredibly stupid move for Alec. Like ok, Natalia brought it on herself a bit and probably isn't a great long term ally. But you had an easy option there. Do what she wants and vote out Cowgirl, keep Davey as your ally, and play it from there. Instead you blindside Kara, give up the majority to the Davids, and set the precedent to everyone that you're the backstabby player. I guess he's the guy who got banned or something for breaking the NDA rules? I imagine he's gonna go out ugly and be really bitter. He seem dumb and I hope it comes back on him.

I didn't like Natalia but I do feel like she had the potential for some more crazy and angry based on that. Ah well. At least I don't have to try and tell her and Angelina apart anymore.

I'm all in on the Slamtown City Council aka Team Social Anxiety. They even got Fat Cop. And... whatshername. The invisible one. I both can't believe and am not remotely surprised that Christian REALLY did ask to be comptroller.

The Idol Nullifier could be huge in the right situation but we'll just have to wait and see. Oddly he's in the right position to play it well with Davey. Form a F2, let Davey be confident he has the idol to get him to F3, then boot him at F4. But who knows if anything plays out right to make that kind of move possible? Still its a nice little wrinkle in the game that doesn't overpower Carl.

I'm going to be heartbroken if Nick's last episode isn't half a dozen people sharing their named alliances and him trying to talk his way out of it. I kind of hope he just screws up when his brain turns to mush and does air guitar with Christian and Mason Dixon with Hollywood Guy.

I get why Bi's called "a quit" since she made the choice to leave, not the doctor. But Jeff didn't have to sound so contemptuous about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MisterZimbu posted:

What's this "breaking NDA" story I keep hearing?

And yeah, Alec dumb.

My impression is that he spoiled that he was in the cast before the premiere and that's against the contract they sign so he got his money taken away and banned from the finale/reunion.

That seems a tad harsh but then again somehow every other Survivor for 30+ seasons has managed to not do it and he's clearly at least half an idiot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last night really was the moment I was watching Natalie and I was like "ohh... yeah, ok. I get it."

Still, she'd make a hell of a goat if she can survive a couple of early Tribals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the fact that Johnny Minecraft's first instinct to Christian going "What are the demographics of Slamtown? Can I be comptroller?" was to play along and say "yeah, I'm kind of nerdy too" and not just say "wow, what an annoying weirdo" is a big part of it and speaks to his chances to do well in the game.

But I still feel like its going to work against him. Being the big beats is one thing. Being the big beast everyone likes puts you in that Joe/Malcolm place where they just have to get rid of you before they regret it. But maybe he'll make enough friends to survive it, but Christian seems like he'll cut people even if his feelings are sincere. Like, I believe he was sincere with Gabby but also didn't he throw her under the bus about the last vote? That's the sort of thing I see costing Johnny. Relying on the wrong person to help protect you and them deciding he's too big of a threat.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 18, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, fair. We'll see. I think we probably agree that Johnny will be a target post merge and its just a question of whether he anticipates that and can prepare and put himself in a good position to weather it. He certainly seems like he has the potential to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Plus like "professional wrestler" isn't some no brainer loaded job. Like, he was near the top long enough and big enough now that he's probably doing pretty well for himself if he's been halfway smart with his money. But its not like he's a pro athlete who signed a multimillion dollar contract to media attention or a corporate lawyer or CEO or something.

Unless he makes a thing of it I doubt it will be a thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't know how to take Davey going straight to "gently caress Elizabeth." Like, its possible that was too quick but its also possible that it was just the right read on the situation. Its tough to know what tribe dynamics were if he had a realistic reason to think it was worth it. Like, sure he could have played his idol and flipped the advantage but your tribe may never be to Tribal again and worst case scenario if you feel safe you play the idol next week.

I don't know. It worked out so I guess i just give Davey the benefit of the doubt of reading things and going along with the vibe given out by the majority.

But yeah, he doesn't seem like he has the long game mindset at the moment. But its tough to have that when you're staring down a Tribal this early.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I don't know how fair it is to say he was safe. Alec obviously was pushing him as a bigger threat and even if you're 100% safe its tough to feel that way when you're in that position. He COULD have rode that out in theory while Elizabeth and Carl go down as shields but there's no guarantee of that working when you're at the mercy of the Goliaths. And obviously Alec isn't the most loyal and honest guy to be your connect.

I just don't want to read too much into it when he was in the poo poo tribal position. Plus, wasn't he on the wrong side of the blindside Elizabeth helped orchestrate? So like he obviously had no reason to trust or be loyal to her besides numbers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I just don't think the "rich" thing is that big nor that Mike or John are such clearly loaded individuals for it to be a big thing unless they make it. Maybe it will. Maybe they'll say the wrong things or there will be someone on the tribe with a real thing against them. But they're not exactly 1%ers.

I mean, maybe one of them ends at the end against a sympathetic and good player who doesn't have money and that proves the difference. But who knows how that will play out?

Either way there's no way to say someone can or can't win this early. I mean, Natalie seems like a sure goat at the moment (due to her personality and actions, not her money) but that could totally change if she can take some control, make some moves, and the vibe of the cast goes dirtier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd be shocked if he wasn't barring some crazy investments from Cliff Robinson. From straight league earnings we have Kent at $86M, Cliff Robinson at $61M, and Scott Pollard with a distant $38M. I don't have a good source but coaching and 20 years of TV money put Jimmy Johnson in the mix.

e: Forgot David Samson from the old Marlins management. That dude is loaded and crushes Jeff.

Samson probably beats him but I'd think Johnson has to have more than the players. He's got all that Superbowl, Hall of Fame, "America's Team", and tv money plus any sponsorship stuff. Johnson is the way biggest deal of the "athletes."

Also you forgot Culpeper. He might have the other players beat consider his post playing career.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not liking Dan. I don't know why. There's nothing in particular I can point to. There's just something about him that made me go "Oh no... not two idols. God drat it." Maybe it was ANYONE getting 2 idols but I think it was already there and that just raised it.

Christian seemed as at awe of his win as his tribemates. He on the other hand is very endearing. I hope Dan doesn't screw him. I get that vibe but it might just be my irrational dislike of Dan.

I was hugely critical of Alec last week so I find myself having to stop and ask if I should be just as harsh towards Mike this week. Here's the reasons I think I feel more ok with Mike's move than Alec's.
1) He evened the sides instead of giving David the advantage.
2) Alec betrayed a Goliath first so precedent was set when it comes time to explain at Merge.
3) Explaining why Natalie went home come Merge is gonna be really easy.
4) He did talk it out with Angelina before hand. Whether she was on board or not there won't be a big explanation at Tribal or paranoia about a secret plot. Angelina was on the same page all the way up to the vote.

Still, that one might come back to haunt Mike. We'll see.

Shneak posted:

The plotting to steal Lyrsa's jacket and vote her out is scummy but Angelina begging Natalie for her jacket as she leaves is one of the most hilariously petty moments on this show.

Right? Like Natalie will take the brunt of it for the bullying and for being her usual bullheaded self but Angelina totally was being entitled as hell too. She was just being pathetic about it instead of bullying.

I don't know whether to take this whole incident as evidence that Angelina has the willingness to manipulate people and try and stay on the right side to win this game or as evidence that she's just way too self absorbed to ever have a chance.

On the other hand.

"Natalie? Can I have your jacket? Natalie? Natalie? Natalie..."

I nearly died at the laugh that produced while eating.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 25, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also really enjoyed "Natalie, I think I just figured you out."

"No."

Jeff being the last person to try and reason with Natalie and be rejected was the perfect end to arch.

At least until "Natalie?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

More than that I think an ideal goat is someone you want to be able to control or at least predict. And Natalie's obviously just too strong willed to do that. You want someone like Phillip or Coach who you can just placate and convince him that he's running things. Or someone who is just easily controlled and manipulated who you can be confident will just go along with surviving and never rock the boat.

But someone like Natalie has real "Chaos Kass" risk. She doesn't have to be a good player or have allies. She just has to be determined and petty enough to gently caress you when she realizes she's a swing vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really tempted to seek out Angelina's social media presence just to see how she defends that.

"No, see, I'm just one of those people who gets cold" or "it was all a mind game..."?

Spatula City posted:

Mike's move is better because he's developed a strong alliance with Nick. Alec had no similar assurance.

I mean, Alec feels he has a strong alliance with a David too. And Nick actively said that his game strategy is to form a named 2 person alliance with everyone on the island. So I'm not sure that part actually makes Mike's position any stronger.

But I still think Mike just had more reasons and a better position to make that move than Alec did.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stupid double post

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean intellectually I get that he's successful and rich so he's a Goliath. But he's like the personification of "David".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My vague memory is that Sherri seemed like one of the only mildly intelligent newbies who had a chance to outsmart Figgy and that dude who was freaky good at ring tosses. But then Phillip was like "come be my goat" and she said "Cool!" and stopped playing.

But I hated that season and may have just replaced it with a parody version in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Given that video I assume she gave Mike the head's up. That's probably not the issue. The issue is probably that its just such an entitled and self absorbed thing and like even if Mike and the Davids are "cool" with it you're giving them a nice selfish, ridiculous impression to hold onto.

It probably won't mean anything on its own. Its just a bad sign of Angelina's makeup to succeed in this game.