Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

This confession is incredible

That editing gag was straight up the highlight of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jessica was incredibly obnoxious and I'm glad she's gone.

I don't think I've ever noticed an instance of sound editing being so bad / a sentence splice being so overt as this one sentence in this ep, it was really weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbIgh4xbw0

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That was Cook Islands

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"I want Jeremy to be taken out instead of Natalie to build my resume" is such a stupid thing to.....

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doesn't Jeremy have a friend who can tell him to stop

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Congratulations (?) Brenda

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I graduated magna cum laude from culinary school.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Are we pretending Tocantins isn't "interesting"?

The China-HvV run is the best the show has been, every one of those seasons is excellent, and thanks to Micronesia/HvV, that run has got great recurring characters and arcs too. Just start at China and keep going.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cook Islands is a fun good vs evil story and watching Candice eat poo poo is great, but the post-merge is a straight Pagonging courtesy of an overpowered idol. The game is basically over once Jonathan flips at 9.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

luv 2 edgic

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The best idol/advantage clue in a while, nice.

The last scene before TC was also very nice, just Angelina taking a deep breath, closing her eyes, and saying "I got this". Good job editors.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxJKYsN3F0o

Nick's commitment to not spoiling the surprise here is extremely cute

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Are Survivor winners obligated to give money to a Democratic ex-president? Yes, it does seem odd to think that Mark Burnett would insist on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Using the vote steal to bait Kara and Alec into showing their rear end and effectively disintegrating the Goliath alliance was such a strong move, I'm v impressed.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

speaking of cook islands: oh no

quote:

Back in 2015, Facebook had a pickle of a problem. It was time to update the Android version of the Facebook app, and two different groups within Facebook were at odds over what the data grab should be.

The business team wanted to get Bluetooth permissions so it could push ads to people’s phones when they walked into a store. Meanwhile, the growth team, which is responsible for getting more and more people to join Facebook, wanted to get “Read Call Log Permission” so that Facebook could track everyone whom Android user called or texted with in order to make better friend recommendations to them.

In a February 4, 2015, email that encapsulates the issue, Facebook Bluetooth Beacon product manager Mike Lebeau is quoted saying that the request for “read call log” permission was a “pretty high-risk thing to do from a PR perspective but it appears that the growth team will charge ahead and do it.”

LeBeau was worried because a “screenshot of the scary Android permissions screen becomes a meme (as it has in the past), propagates around the web, it gets press attention, and enterprising journalists dig into what exactly the new update is requesting.” He suggested a possible headline for those journalists: “Facebook uses new Android update to pry into your private life in ever more terrifying ways - reading your call logs, tracking you in businesses with beacons, etc.”

Then a man named Yul Kwon came to the rescue saying that the growth team had come up with a solution! Thanks to poor Android permission design at the time, there was a way to update the Facebook app to get “Read Call Log” permission without actually asking for it. “Based on their initial testing, it seems that this would allow us to upgrade users without subjecting them to an Android permissions dialog at all,” Kwon is quoted. “It would still be a breaking change, so users would have to click to upgrade, but no permissions dialog screen. They’re trying to finish testing by tomorrow to see if the behavior holds true across different versions of Android.”

Oh yay! Facebook could suck more data from users without scaring them by telling them it was doing it! This is a little surprising coming from Yul Kwon because he is Facebook’s chief ‘privacy sherpa,’ who is supposed to make sure that new products coming out of Facebook are privacy-compliant. I know because I profiled him, in a piece that happened to come out the same day as this email was sent. A member of his team told me their job was to make sure that the things they’re working on “not show up on the front page of the New York Times” because of a privacy blow-up. And I guess that was technically true, though it would be more reassuring if they tried to make sure Facebook didn’t do the creepy things that led to privacy blow-ups rather than keeping users from knowing about the creepy things.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

edit:

Starting season 19. I know squatty Russell is a notorious reality star type guy and I already see why. I have some vague recollection of hating this dude, though I don't think I ever saw this season when it aired. Was he on Big Brother before this and was notable there for being a piece of poo poo person too, or am I just misremembering everything and maybe I did actually see this season at some point?

CBS went Hantz crazy for a while. Russell was on three Survivor seasons, his nephew Brandon was on two seasons, and his brother Willie was on BB. You may remember him from head butting a random guy and throwing pork rinds at Janelle before getting expelled.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Edge pf Extinction?!

Are these players that fans have been clamouring for? I hope the theme is better than what was shown in the short preview clip. But overall that was a better Reunion show than the last few seasons, they didn't spend any time with random people in the audience and gave a lot of the cast a chance to speak.

People like all four of those, yeah. I feel like we've seen enough of Wentworth (she's not topping her moment of playing an idol correctly and taking Savage out while the majority is too lazy to split votes) but she's a fine pick for a three time player. I've had more than enough Joe but Survivor loves hyping up a different Golden Boy every five years or so.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Where are his shoes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're allowed to say "racist".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

My memory chooses what it will remember without consulting me, plus I'm binge watching seasons like a psycho and consistently rooting for losers all the time. Plus if there is a QT around I get tunnel vision, this is a character flaw of mine.

I can see why Rob C got the title if he pioneered all that, it became so commonplace it's hard to remember somebody had to bust in with the tech at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

Hey this popped into youtube play next and tell me if that doesn't look like Tyson.

well,

code:
CREDITS

DARTH GOTYE:  Tyson Apostol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I figure they’ll give them like 1500 calories a day to share among the cast on EI and tell them “good luck”.