Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
If you made up those quotes then that's fantastic.

Pony: Kara
Poison: Alec (or is this too obvious?)

I heard rumors that David Wright was on this season but I'm relived he isn't. His arc was great and I'd fear it getting screwed up. He'll still probably be back for an all stars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Zesty posted:

Nah. They're almost entirely direct quotes from them.

Pony: Gabby
Poison: Kara Kay

now i want next OP to alternate between fake and real quotes and see if we can guess

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Man that pat evac was the most terrifying in years. and on a challenge transport too. when he's screaming like that about his back you can't help but think if it's a spine break (i know nothing about back injuries). it's a relief to find out he's relatively okay.

i think apart from his sometimes annoyingly frantic way of speaking, christian is better than the past few nerdy super-fans except for david. he seems actually pretty intelligent managing to stay fairly composed. most impressively not outplaying himself right out of the gate which even david did (bad enough to where he was nearly out first). at least self-aware enough to ask someone to tell him if he starts being too much. i think he makes the merge at the very least. i could see him getting extra annoying if he starts getting too cocky as there was a taste of it with the swing vote thing.

nick reminds me of someone so much and i can't put my finger on who. like, part patrick wilson part guy who played dorian gray on penny dreadful.

not feeling good about my blind pick of kara being my pony. really have no idea what made me choose her. 'pet peeves: drivers who use their brakes' made me chuckle, perhaps.

pretty good blindside, though i think as soon as the idea came up and it was on christian and nick to tip the scales it was obvious. christian seemed at least aware enough not to burn his goodwill with gabby right away.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

The thing about Christian that's helping him land for me is that he's not self-loathing. He's rarely even self-deprecating; rather, he seems comfortable in his own skin, like somebody who knows their own weaknesses, but is equally familiar with and capable of utilizing their strengths. He just... knows himself. He can say he grew up in Wimpville in one episode, but in the next, be the herald of the Charmpocalypse, and both are believable. So many characters in the Cochran mold have this uncomfortable layer of self-loathing to them, with Jacob Derwin being the worst offender. But Christian? Christian is fine being who he is. In fact, I'd say he actively enjoys it. And that's refreshing coming from his archetype.

yeah i like him a lot. plus he works with robots. i wish i could say i do something even a fraction of something that interesting. and the concept of him and john hitting it off is hilarious to me and i want to see that alliance get to the end. it's a bit like david and ken but if instead ken was a person with charisma and not ken.

also i can't believe no one called back to this which was posted like a week before the last episode:

TheCenturion posted:

:wiggle: I want YOU to come join Slam Town.
:reject: You're asking me to emigrate to Slam Town? Become a Slamtonian? I don't know, what's in it for me? I mean, you're the mayor of Slam Town, what do I get?
:wiggle: Deputy Mayor?
:reject: I don't know, that seems like a very ceremonial position. I don't want to be out, you know, cutting ribbons at the new Slamming Salon while you're out forming policy. How about Comptroller?
:wiggle: Comptroller?
:reject: Yes, Comptroller of Slam Town.

And thus was born the beginning of a new alliance, an alliance to surpass Mason-Dixon; the City Council of Slam Town. With their unique mix of brains, brawn, civic duty and bureaucratic savvy, the City Council of Slam Town proceeded to dominate the rest of the game.

centurion, who are you on the production team?? out with it!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i think there was some uncertainty regarding nick in the beginning for some people, myself included. but he's grown on me.

i liked that he didn't give even the slightest consideration to natalie's jacket 'proposal'. in fact he looked completely dumbfounded that it was actually a serious thing being asked of him. what a... weird thing that all was. angelina asking for natalie's jacket at the very end was the perfect way to top it off. new thread title please.

unrelated, i finally convinced my friends to watch survivor so i started off with tocantins since it seems like a straightfoward introduction with some entertaining people, but i'd like to move onto one a bit more interesting next. suggestions? i was thinking maybe cagayan or perhaps millenials vs gen x. it's hard for me to remember some of the older seasons these days.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
after finishing tocantins with my friends i really think there's a bit of rose-colored glasses going on with it. it's still an entertaining season overall, but every vote is very telegraphed. the tyson vote is probably the most interesting. as soon as you realize that JT and Stephen are in total control of the game there are really only one of two results: one of them wins and it's a foregone conclusion or someone else manages to scrape through via a key immunity win and it's a huge upset. the season is elevated a lot by Coach and his craziness. i still think it's a good intro because it's a solid framework of what the show is about without being as bland as early seasons or containing too many weird twists and advantages as the later ones.

so i'm definitely on the fence on which direction to go next. micronesia is definitely a good choice, but i feel like it would be stronger with at least china and cook islands as setup. people never seem too big on cook islands, but my memory of it is fairly positive?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i doubt christian will be next since previews aren't really trustworthy, but seeing angelina round everyone up and try and tell everyone who is next irritates me. i wish they had just gotten rid of her this time.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I don't really care what happens to Gabby. I'm pulling for Christian to win at this point. I do think he's established himself as a pretty big threat now though. No idea how he could pull it off unless every individual challenge is some sort of puzzle from here on out.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

Okay, first, it absolutely is his fault that he is kind of famous in that he actively sought out a career in Hollywood with multiple movie and TV appearances and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Second, the most damning thing isn't that he can't win, it's that he isn't trying to. I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult. The problem with Mike is that he's already given up on winning, yet he hasn't given up quite enough. If he were playing some kind of ruthless, Boston Rob-style 'overdog crushes the little guy' game in pursuit of a million dollars he doesn't need, I would at least respect it. I wouldn't like it, but I could at least respect it. But Mike White is not trying to win. Again, listen to his confessionals. He never says anything about winning. Only about going far and making it to the end. The man is playing for third place and third place only and in the process is actively attempting to make the game as boring as possible. He's simultaneously completely selfish (in that he only cares about his Survivor Experience™ and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the audience) and not selfish enough (in that he isn't trying to WIN) and it's infuriating.

This is one of the weirdest takes on a contestant I've seen in quite a while.

There's something really funny about calling one of the contestants "selfish" in a game with only one winner.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

It's kind of funny, but the more I see from him, the more I "get" that picture. The "gently caress it" mentality that led him to post that stupid photo is the same one that makes him so entertaining and unpredictable on the show. And it's entirely possible that he could still come out of this situation on top; CBS did an Instagram poll on who was the most popular remaining castaway, and Alec came in second to Christian by an extremely small margin: 1465 to 1445. For context, the next highest vote getter was Nick, at 822. So Alec is one of two runaway favorites among casual audiences and is dangerously close to being THE favorite player from this season at this point, so there's already a growing movement to #UnbanAlec from the reunion show. We'll see if CBS capitulates. Probably not, but you never know, especially if he continues to do well going forward.

In other news, Mike came in dead last. :smug:

I think Mike has been a net positive for the session entertainment wise, so that's kind of a shame. Maybe it's just reflective of this being a pretty good cast but there are a couple people's names I still can't remember.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
this is an episode i'll direct people to next time advantages are complained about. that was a lot of fun to watch. and stuff actually worked as intended for once.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't usually look at the Ponderosa videos, but the last bit of Dan's is great. Skip to about 7:00.

always kind of a shame to see something that makes me like a person more AFTER they get voted out.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
there's probably some weird poo poo in the NDA about how you accept that the rules aren't set in stone and can change at any moment.

this isn't really the first time something kind of sketchy happened. we've had fake idols wrapped in the real idol note, Tony claiming his super idol worked for one vote longer than it did, the sudden ability to remove a jury member, etc.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

IcePhoenix posted:

That was Ian and Tom and it's still the dumbest move in Survivor ever imo

and it was all because Ian promised the girl (whose name I forgot, sorry) to take her on a reward and didn't (not sure why he didn't?). and so she got all sad and he got sad she was sad and threw the game because he thought it would earn respect(?) back. to this day i still don't get it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Fast Luck posted:

Actually we've all played Survivor on our computers with internet people and we're really good

This is 100% true

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

He was, in fact, shown casually making one with zero effort earlier in the finale before the fire challenge was even a thing. The castaways even said "good job, Devon!"

You're going down the Colin Stone route of madness. Dude was 100% certain that Donathan was destined for the fire challenge last season because they showed him making fire once. Sometimes the show is just filling time. Sometimes shots of camp life are legitimately just for flavor.

Anyway, here's my super pessimistic endgame prediction:

- Goliath Strong reunites, because why wouldn't they. All remaining Davids could beat any of them and they have to know that.
- They go for Nick next week, but he plays his idol and either Davie or Christian goes out instead.
- Nick and whichever other David is left at that point get voted out back to back in the finale.
- Alison loses the fire challenge.
- Final 3; Mike (already rich and semi-famous), Angelina (unlikable) and Kara (none of the above).
- Kara wins.

I'd love to be wrong, and so far, none of my other worst possible outcomes has come to pass, but I've never had faith in a single thing my entire life and I ain't gonna start now! :shepface:

i'm only okay with this cause for some random reason i picked kara as my pony. and she's fine i guess, but not all that interesting.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
christian taking a look around before playing the idol is something i can't believe more people haven't done. it's so simple but could tell you a lot if you're good at reading people. but who knows maybe it has happened before and not paid off so they didn't show it, etc. pretty good episode regardless.

christian is one of my favorite players in a while, but i see almost no scenario where he makes it to the end unless he pulls a mike, which i can't really see happening. his immunity competition is fairly strong. that said, if he does make it to the end i have no idea how he possibly loses. he's incredibly well spoken, even if it is a bit erratic at times.

while angelina winning would be a crazy swerve there's a part of me that thinks it's not impossible. that said, the comedy of it would wear off pretty quickly for me.

if it's true that jeff and/or the producers weren't big on this season then that almost certainly means a goliath wins, since they would love nothing more than the theme to play out appropriately. my gut wants to say it's alison.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
sad to see christian go like that, but i knew they'd never let him get to the end.

i'm really curious what the other survivors even think about mike. they seem to like him, but he's never once been targeted whatsoever. i do think that if davie or nick is in the finals one of them wins, which is why i have a bad feeling that it won't happen. honestly? if it's mike, kara, and alison in the finals i'd probably rather just mike win. and this isn't some 'i hope a woman doesn't win' thing, i just would be really annoyed at seeing alison win just because this idea that she was a threat somehow infected everyone. its genesis seems to have come from people thinking she's a physical threat, but hasn't really been much moreso than anyone else. i don't know what kara has done, if anything. at least mike can say he rallied the votes toward christian, getting out perhaps the biggest threat in the game (i don't know if mike is actually to credit for this, but i could see the argument being made).

it's a shame davie and nick kind of screwed up because i would have felt both of them had a pretty solid game going. but mistakes happen, i guess. they're still the most deserving people there.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Khanstant posted:

There are Survivor drafts? Is that like fantasy football or whatever with Survivor instead? Also, what is pony/poison?

Just finished season 18 Tocantins. I ended up rooting for Sierra for whatever reason, I think I'm predisposed to wanting to back up whoever is getting bullied, especially if they manage to get someone else kicked before they get theirs. Some very satisfying vote offs though, Tyson and Coach evictions are some of my favourite yet. Has Coach ever owned up to his bizarre lies or has he integrated bullshit into his core being and can't do that within unraveling his own existence? I also feel/dread he's someone who is going to be back on another season.

Is the winner of the season also being the winner of the sprint player of the year going to be a recurring theme? Like, it's kind of annoying the sole survivor is even an option to begin with but presumably they do it before anyone can know that. Last couple seasons it hasn't even seemed like the most likeable person had won.

i like sierra for the most part since i understand her frustrating position, but man she really needed to stop talking after she voted for coach and for some reason kept trying to run it back.

the winner also winning player of the season actually isn't something that happened that often from the ones i can remember. it stops being a thing not long after that season though. i can't remember the last time they had it, but i don't think it was long past season 21 if that

also hey my kara pony pick is.. paying off? i dunno, not like i'm winning anything.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

TMMadman posted:

Didn't Penner also clearly put on a ton of weight before one of his seasons?

i was literally just about to post this, how do i always manage to get beat. yeah, it was Philippines.

finale wasn't super exciting but it was a good end to a good season. i am satisfied. i think mike probably would have won had nick gone out and i think it would have been good with that result too.

i miss the old 'everyone asks a question' format, though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
A decent amount of Mike's screenwriting credits are for fairly well received movies. The emoji movie definitely brings down the average but i love school of rock. It also helps that it was basically the only pg13 movie I could get away with playing when I worked at Blockbuster

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Mike muttering and poking around in the sand lazily while holding the glass of wine was a pretty good moment made better that he still managed to be the one to find the clue.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Gluten Freeman posted:

I think Mike would win of those three since he could pretty aggressively sell his gameplay. Maybe Dan's efforts to boost Angelina would have worked in that context though lmao. Who knows?

literally no one would be able to elevate angelina enough to get the votes to win.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

I always wondered where he found a pen to write the note with, but I assume the producers found out what he wanted to do and ran to provide him one for hilarity’s sake

if i remember correctly, amanda's luxury item (which never gets talked about or mentioned anymore) was a notebook, so i guess he was lucky for that.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
well they tried to bring back shambo but she said no. i think dave ball should get another shot. samoa is entertaining when you don't have russell fatigue.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
A line graph for agency in the game of survivor is the most Christan thing in the world. Interesting way to look at it though. He's not wrong that Nick had basically none at the end while Mike arguably had it all.

I wonder if Mike could have actually won if he had gone all out at ftc. It felt like he held back some and that pretty much confirms it. I don't think I blame him for feeling conflicted. It's kind of an awkward position to be in. Maybe he just didn't think he'd make it there or hoped it would just be all Goliath.

I still think I would have voted for Nick but maybe it was even closer than it appeared.

Adus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 27, 2018

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Ken came from an alternate reality where survivor never evolved past like, season 4.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
To clarify, this isn't sarcasm. It's a very good season.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
there are a couple good tyson moments in BvW and he's definitely more subdued. i kinda forgot just HOW much of an rear end in a top hat he was in tocantins until i watched it again recently.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
some people quit for legit reasons but kelly and naonka in nicaragua were two whiners that basically fed off of each other's negative energy and, in my opinion, used the other to justify quitting. 'she's doing it so i feel better about doing it' sort of thing. i honestly wonder if they might have stuck it out if the spotlight would have only been on them solely.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Propaganda Machine posted:

I loving hated Tony at the time, but I rewatched a lot of Cagayan in order to write the OP for Game Changers and his performance floored me the second time around, without the adrenaline of wanting Spencer to pull it out.

That FTC was masterful. I think my favorite moment is his response to Trish.

i kinda felt the same way. at the time i was very frustrated about the super idol, too. and how easily he was able to sell that it worked longer than it did (which is actually a good move, of course).

but yeah he's good, and that response was also my favorite moment. like, that's how people need to respond when they try to get guilt tripped by the jury. just like, yes it was worth it i want to win, end of story.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
he maneuvered between alliances and controlled information really well before such a thing was done very often or at all. the 'best player to never win' title was something that was used to refer to him back around that time. i don't know if it applies 30 seasons later. now it's pretty common for the 'best' players to go out right before FTC.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
He got to the end and lost in a tiebreaker. Him not winning was not really a result of poor strategy. Even the finalists said he deserved to be there during ftc.

If he played today then I feel like he wouldn't do so well but that's a different argument since it would just be speculation.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
not sure i get it. because they don't make any references to winning challenges to stay in the game like with RI. so people who get voted out just.. sit there until the producers decide they get to come back? and then what? there has to be a catch because otherwise it's just a buffer from getting out of the game. like why would you choose to leave? i mean i guess it's possible they don't provide them with any living supplies whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i wouldn't mind seeing one world tried again with a less awful cast, honestly.