Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khanstant posted:

I hated wrestleman at first, but he was definitely my least disliked Goliath by the end of it. Seems kind of like a pattern for Pro Wrestlers, or maybe you just don't hear much from the pro wrestlers who are huge dickbags irl.

Also, I'm watching season 1 right now for kicks and it's cool to see how the show has evolved and also neat because none of these people really have a frame of reference for how to play the game and poo poo yet. Also someone got voted off because some dingus is just voting in alphabetical order?!?

It's wild how different everything could have been based on the first season. like, if richard hadn't won the immunity challenge on day 29, or if anyone else had any idea how to play before that, or if the producers hadn't literally told them to vote stacey instead of rudy early.

also, wow, last night's tribal! i thought about it a couple times today and just grinned. I wasn't a huge fan of this early season but it's turning around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Adus posted:

This is one of the weirdest takes on a contestant I've seen in quite a while.

There's something really funny about calling one of the contestants "selfish" in a game with only one winner.

i mean, the game he's being selfish in is the one with 20 winners and millions of players

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

but from what i heard about heroes/hustlers/healers and ghost island eh im just probably going to leave them skipped.

ghost island is great from a nostalgia standpoint, they spend a loooooooot of time saying "remember THIS season? Remember THAT season????" and not much else. the gameplay isn't particularly inspiring and there aren't many memorable characters (donathan?, michael, dom, wendell i GUESS). there's worse seasons but i'd definitely say don't waste your time unless you're super bored or a completionist

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

^ agreed 100%. Every new mechanic has to be introduced some time, and you can’t announce it if you want it to be a surprise. That said, I feel bad for dan (because for 20 years idols have been ironclad) but given that he sucked real bad, I don’t actually care about it. THAT said, I’m looking forward to future seasons (and episodes) where the nullifier has to go into the vote calculus. “Do I play an idol, and for whom?” is a fun part of the game to think about, but I really do like a second level added on.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I absolutely love whenever they do the edit of christian rambling on and on and it all fading together.

What an episode! I feel like the end of the season is going to be interesting because there's just so many people that probably just haven't done enough to win a FTC. It really does feel like it's Christian (way, way, way ahead of the pack), then Nick and Davie, then Kara, then everyone else with absolutely no shot. I can definitely (preview talk!) see why Gabby wants to start making Big Moves.

8 left, and with the new final four and playing his idol correctly, Christian only needs to slide his way through 2 more tribals (and make fire, probably--or win immunity). I wonder if there's an argument to start targeting FTC threats instead of challenge threats earlier post-merge now since the last time you have the opportunity to vote them out is with five players remaining?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

^ agreed, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Nick lay out his case if he does get there

mancalamania posted:

Also count me in as someone who thinks there are no casting duds in the Final 8 or even in the season as a whole (maybe Jesssica and Bi?). Don’t forget in the Final 8 last season we had Chelsea, Sebastian, and Angela still in the game.

I just sat here at my desk, head in my hands, for a full two minutes trying to remember who Chelsea was, eventually giving up and googling. "Oh, her. Was that really last season?"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Lol at Angelinas opening negotiation for rice being everything they own.

"I took multiple negotiation classes. I will give the first offer. It is everything."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spergatory posted:

I am certain I'm good with people, so either I'm right, or I'm one of those assholes with no self-awareness

i know what my money's on

e: also all the :words: in the world aren't going to get people to agree with you that "playing survivor" is a worse decision than "choosing to stop playing survivor" when the axis for measurement is "potential survivor success". that said, i respect your opinion and think a differing perspective is healthy. despite being an internet poster who doesn't know poo poo about how people actually work, i think talking about strategy is interesting and I don't think we have to be likely to win an IRL game of survivor to be qualified to discuss the show we watch on teevee

Spokes fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 4, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I would love to do survivor and I think I would be pretty decent at it but I would only do it if it weren't televised. The idea of being on TV at all, let alone half-naked, starving, ultra-scrutinized and edited..... nope

as someone with zero shame, i'm thinking about sending in a tape for season 39--i'm a pretty good swimmer and decent at puzzles, so like, what else is there? "social game"? heh

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Bloop posted:

if you get in please doxx yourself immediately so we can root for a goon

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Survivor- "gently caress it."

Poque posted:

Cochran was a goon

This does not surprise me

Spokes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

That’s the only final four that I could imagine being immensely disappointed with, given how great this season has been.

I could see... Angelina... winning??? Oh, no

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

it's a little :tinfoil:, but I don't think the Alec instagram stuff would have gone down like it did if Kara won (or made FTC, I guess, because they don't know if they won).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

“Gabby”? More like “Womenby”. Women be shoppin’, that is! Am I right, boys? Those ladies just don’t get it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'm happy for Mike finally winning individual immunity, and even though it took literally 35 days and probably wouldn't have happened otherwise, i'm glad to see him be proactive about targeting the people he thinks are a threat to win (it's a long list, mike!)

He steered the votes the way they had to go if he had any shot at winning, and 4 days to build a resume isn't a lot, but if he starts playing for real in the finale i think he could beat angelina and allison at FTC (and, honestly, maybe nick. who knows?)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

bad take: mike shouldn't get to win, because he's rich

good take: mike shouldn't get to win, because he's awful at Survivor

edit: extra good take (and my actual feelings): mike should have factored potential bias in from day 1 and lied about whether he was rich or not.

"weren't you in that movie with jack black?"
"uh, no?"
"oh, okay. what do you do?"
"i'm a tutor"
"neat, let's build a shelter"

Spokes fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 14, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Fair but also aren't they all a little awful at Survivor?

Thanks to last night's episode i can confidently say yes.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

in honor of 13 (?) great episodes and in pessimistic anticipation of being backstabbed by a disappointing finale:

:blindside:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

excellent, that is definitely what i needed to see, puke

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell was also on the last season of Australian Survivor. He went in thinking he was a God and then got voted out with an idol pretty much right away lol.

this is really underselling it, he wore it to tribal and beat his chest about how he was going to play it over and over and then didn't (obviously). And then the vote was tied and everyone piled on him in the revote, and it was absolutely wonderful.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Something about returnees in general kind of grates on me. I get that they’re popular (and i’d love to see Christian again) but the point of Survivor, to me, is that you go out and play your best and try to win, and that’s it. Seeing people (especially non-winners) play 3+ times is frustrating because they’re bringing these weird legacies into the game and at a certain point, people are playing for their next appearance rather than to win. Whatever, I hate fun, I know.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

My point here is that I still have a hint of the shakes and the way Cirie went out in Game Changers was beyond unfair and stupid and a huge production fail. Vote steal notwithstanding she played a satisfying game, especially after JT of all people nailed her premerge in HvV.

Cirie is one of my favorites but I feel like I’d rather not see her a fifth(!) time. I agree that the game changers advantage-geddon thing was dumb and unfair, but I think her archetype of “probably unbeatable at final tribal but also literally never winning a challenge” makes for dull gameplay.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

How about this for a twist, the idol is too easy to find and Angelina stumbles onto it accidentally, fulfilling the E1 prophesy of a woman finding an idol

I've been wondering about that too. I don't know how that'll manifest but i definitely feel like they put it there to pay off tonight

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Luvcow posted:

am i the only one that isn't very excited at all to watch this finale? like i'm actually not sure i'm even going to watch it because imo this went from a great season to meh within the last few weeks, especially with christian gone and every other charismatic person already voted out as well, except for maybe davie.

I'd have preferred to have Christian in F6, and I think the season is definitely poorer without him. But it's at least ostensibly a legitimate competition, and if it didn't have stakes it wouldn't be compelling. I like that Mike was so involved in the Christian boot because it makes him much less of a goat and the finale is going to be more interesting for it.

I'm fine with any of the remaining players winning, though my reasons range from legitimate admiration of their game (Davie) to a weird, self-destructive love for chaos (Angelina)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

So just like Domenick, a big idol play in the finale makes the person attempting it look stupid.

I might be misremembering, but didn’t Dom successfully play a fake idol at 6 pre-vote to save his real one for the final 5? I remember it working quite well

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'm glad Nick won; I think he played the best game. But I'm also kind of glad there was minimal talk of how million-dollar Mike White didn't need to/shouldn't win. Hopefully we're just beyond that at this point but I guess we won't know for sure until it actually comes up in a future season.

also, what the hell was up with mike at the final 5 (?) tribal? it seemed like he went absolutely batshit for all of 20 minutes and then everything was fine again. I haven't listened to any interviews or rewatched so I might have missed something

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spergatory posted:

It kind of makes me wonder why that season had such a bad vibe. Like nobody was having any fun, and it shows, and that's not always the case with all star seasons. Cambodia was fun! So who brought the bad juju? Who killed the vibe? Who killed Game Changers? :iiam:

the only two moments i can remember from that season offhand were the zeke/varner thing and the legacy advantage (and tai doing... something?)

not a strong entry in the canon, that's for sure

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I got up to episode 3 of DvsG. What is the rest like?

It gets better and better!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Zesty posted:

Better than the poo poo I put up last season.

was that "crapping in the ocean is called aquadumping"? because that got me to start watching survivor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I was very pleasantly surprised by the entirety of DvG, I’m going to maintain optimism through at least the first five minutes of this extinction bullshit. Could be a looooooong season, though