Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don't forget to Bookmark the thread! :siren: Need to catch up? This season's episodes are on CBS.com

Survivor airs Wednesdays on CBS! Check your local listings.

https://i.imgur.com/jvBChvk.gifv

Have too much money? Smilies.

• :probst:

• :blindside:

If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread.

If you get a better thread title sometime in the run, post it!

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

What's the theme?

It doesn't ever loving matter. Don't worry about it.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel used to keep the Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes but I guess they now have those on the CBS official website? I don't know. Just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you didn't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alec
Age 24
Bartender
"gently caress it."
*Special Note: Posted himself and another player on Instagram. Lost his prize money and was disinvited from the reunion.

Alison
Age 28
Physician
"Getting to the bottom of bottomless breadsticks."

Angelina
Age 28
Financial Consultant
"I use my power of persuasion to get out of speeding tickets and to get discounts at restaurants."

Killer Bi
Age 28
MMA Fighter
"My first fight, I beat her and retired her."

Carl
Age 41
Truck Driver
"I have a wife, I have a truck, I have kids."

Christian
Age 32
Robotics Scientist
"I wouldn't object to being called a wizard."

Dan
Age 27
SWAT Officer
"If I let them question me and get me all worked up? It'll end badly."
*Special Note: Florida Hot Cop. Not an anti-semite, just takes hot cop pics with them.

Davie
Age 30
Social Media Manager
Hobbies: Memes!

Elizabeth
Age 31
Kitchen Staff
"I pushed two girls out with no pain meds while wearing this hat."
*Special Note: Apparently has a wild criminal record that has since been scrubbed from the internet. Post if you find it.

Gabby
Age 25
Technical Writer
"I am prone to tear-filled moments."

Jeremy
Age 40
Attorney
"I'm a spirit-reader, and some people don't want their spirits read."

Jessica
Age 19
Waitress
"I have a way with words....."
*Special Note: Someone at CBS missed the slurs she repeatedly posted online.

Johnny Mundo
Age 38
Pro Wrestler
"This island is really about me versus me"

Kara
Age 30
Realtor
Pet peeves: Drivers who use their brakes

Lyrsa
Age 36
Airline Agent
"They think I'm playing Sudoku, but I'm looking at them."

Mike White
Age 47
Filmmaker
Hobbies: water sports
*Special Note: Made the Emoji Movie. The sentence is death.

Natalia
Age 25
Industrial Engineer
"I want binoculars so I can creep on people."

Natalie
Age 56
Publishing CEO
"Sunglasses will give me the ability to see things, while hiding my eyes."

Nick
Age 27
Public Defender
"If you don't use it, you lose it!"

Pat
Age 40
Maintenance Manager
"Cochran is a chameleon, like me."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 14, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

If you made up those quotes then that's fantastic.

Nah. They're almost entirely direct quotes from them.

Pony: Gabby
Poison: Kara Kay

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 25, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I loved the confessional with Christian getting the "yahta yahta" time skip.

Don't care for the player though. They're really pushing hard for, "Hey remember David Wright? How about Hannah? You remember Hannah? These players are just like them!"

Professor Shark posted:

What were the slurs that Jessica used online?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alliances on David Tribe according to Pat:

The Five
Pat
Davey
Lyrsa
Jessica
Carl

The Nerds
Gabby
Christian

These two blocs were going to target Nick. Again, according to Pat.

Not mentioned: Bi and Elizabeth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Well, it was one Tribal cycle instead of two AND they didn't have to waste a bunch of time on tribal council(s). So yeah, more time for showing off players in those first 3 days, which is good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Major Major Major posted:

Disgusting but she would have been about 12 or 13 at the time so hopefully she's grown up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We have to get great moments with John now because he's going to run out of calories in 2 episodes.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 30, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I didn't know anything about Johnny Mundo before this season but he seems nicer than Cole. I expect him to fall on his sword honorably and die out there rather than be a dick to the rest of them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

sportsgenius86 posted:

I really cannot stand cowgirl though. Like visually I just want her gone.

:confused:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

When was this season recorded? Johnny Marriage got hitched in June and now I'm just realizing that we might get Taya Valkyrie at the loved ones visit.

March 29, 2018 - May 6, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor production could possibly have decided not to show it out of decency as well. They just needed a story to tell and they had one in Jeremy vs Natalie.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 12, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Early on I thought Bi was getting the boot because she was getting confessionals out of nowhere. I'm on board with the medivac-before-swap theory.

Seeing Jeremy be lovely on instagram has convinced me to take what he said with a grain of salt. It's a bit much.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Jeremy
Age 40
Attorney
"I'm a spirit-reader, and some people don't want their spirits read."

That quote was prescient. But I guess it doesn't take a psychic to predict that would do him in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Apparently Erik Reichenbach draws a comic for each episode. They aren't great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Because apparently she has the same name as Dan's dog. That's the joke.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Erik Reichenbach

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bigass Moth posted:

Take me back to the old days when “he’s a dentist, he doesn’t need the prize money” was a legitimate reason to vote someone out.

I don’t see John, Natalie, or Mike winning without something absolutely spectacular happening.

And I mean something we have never seen before... or they have the worst goats with them.

But I give Natalie a 0% chance to win.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They still have to work extra hard to overcome the "You're already rich" mindset. I'd give it to Lyrsa at this point before I gave it to John.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Has a wealthy person won Survivor? Has a super famous/rich person made it to the finals before?

I'm not being rhetorical. I'm not sure.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Natalie's tears on exit press is gold.

I want to change my poison to Angelina.

Erik Reichenbach continues to make :butt: comics.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Unfortunately I don't see this having an effect long-term. But I think this is just another example of Angelina's personality that will crop again and turn people against her in future altercations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was Angelina.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They can both be bad.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

i finally convinced my friends to watch survivor so i started off with tocantins since it seems like a straightfoward introduction with some entertaining people, but i'd like to move onto one a bit more interesting next. suggestions? i was thinking maybe cagayan or perhaps millenials vs gen x. it's hard for me to remember some of the older seasons these days.

Pearl Islands is the good one in the early goings. China is also solid.

I've never seen Cook Islands and I know what Parvati, Ozzy, Cirie, and Yau Man are all about. There's no season that's strictly necessary. Just watch good seasons. Having said that, Cook Islands might be good?

Just loving skip Kaoh Rong and Worlds Apart... especially Worlds Apart. Holy poo poo is that ugly.

Adus posted:

i think there was some uncertainty regarding nick in the beginning for some people, myself included. but he's grown on me.

i liked that he didn't give even the slightest consideration to natalie's jacket 'proposal'. in fact he looked completely dumbfounded that it was actually a serious thing being asked of him. what a... weird thing that all was. angelina asking for natalie's jacket at the very end was the perfect way to top it off. new thread title please.

gently caress yes.

Spatula City posted:

Nick has really grown on me. He showed impressive backbone, and talking about how much he dislikes bullies reminds me that, IIRC he's a public defender. He came across as a bit scummy and calculating, but he's shown a lot of layers. And the alliance names are both funny and clever psychology.

gently caress yes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

new thread title please.

:cheers:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

except when they make it so obvious that they're going to get voted out that you go IT'S WAY TOO OBVIOUS, THEY WON'T GET VOTED OUT and then they do get voted out, now that's editing

:wifom:

fake edit: how is there not a wifom smilie, get on that poo poo mafia players

Give me a good idea and I’ll attempt to make one.

The show made it clear why people made the choices they did. Either Mike would throw his lot in with the David’s and go out at 8 or Nick would throw his lot in with the Goliaths and go out... at 8.

Mike wanted it more. Liked them more than Nick liked the other Davids. And Nick is smart enough not to risk a 50-50 Rocks and then STILL have Angelina to deal with later who will definitely know he will never have her back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think a Christian has a story to the audience but not so much to the other players.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Adam has the same casting archtype as Nick this season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Almost forgot Erik Reichen:butt:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Hannah probably fit that casting slot better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Vernacular posted:

Zeke changed pretty quickly from "likable nerd/superfan" into "overconfident power-tripper" once he hit the merge and gained some power.

Still. They try and cast certain archtypes. Zeke probably fit the Nerd there.

There seems to be a SuperfanNerd-Neurotic split in terms of casting archtypes the past few seasons though. Did it start with Aubry?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh did it start already? Better duck out of the thread for a few hours.

Zesty posted:

Pony: Gabby

:)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The entire episode I was just tired of getting teased.

-It's Christian because he's a threat.
-It's Dan because he has two idols.
-It's Alec because he's playing both sides.
-It's Elizabeth because she's getting on people's nerves.
-It's Angelina because she's slime.

I drat near skipped to the end just so I could see how they arrived at the conclusion they did.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think Gabby has ever gotten Dodo music. She's gotten "Camera zooms in on her from a distance while others talk about her" but that's not necessarily a game killer.

I'd say we should track Dodo music throughout the season but then I'm only a couple steps away from reinventing edgic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

That ad brought me here right when I was lamenting to myself at having nowhere to talk about this dumb show. I want Angelina and the horny idiot gone ASAP.

I'm glad 7.95 got me something.

If anyone makes a better ad image, I'll use it for next thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
huh! I wonder if he made nice with CBS.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just can't see anyone winning but Christian, Nick, or maybe Davie.

Mike gets an oddly favorable edit too but I think that might just might be being good friends with the loving host.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Goliaths still have majority. Could go to equal numbers with a vote steal though.

No one but Kara knows Dan has another idol, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oops, sorry, ninja'd that there.