Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The editing seems... a little better for a premiere? Like, we have everyone looking for the idol, and then Dan gets a commercial and says he's already found it. I think, wait, did I miss something, and he retells how he found it. That's alright.

Also I was not expecting him of all people to be showmancing. He seems alright though, so right now I'm rooting for him and uh, that girl who doesn't like Natalie... uh, Natalia. Man I'm gonna have to learn all these names again. John is also weirdly captivating for a wrestler with a big ego. Maybe he'll do better than the last famous John on Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The fall Survivor premier is 90 minutes followed by the 90 minute Big Brother finale :eng101:

Also, it seems they likely did pull Pat out of the game effectively right away. Like they didn't even finish taking the tribe to their beach, dude got hurt and they stopped at some random beach location that was not their camp, started some medical work and brought in the helicopter. Like the only delay that might have existed was bringing in Jeff, but even that was probably pretty quick.

According to interviews they just turned around and headed back to the challenge site.

I'm looking forward to hopefully some of the females busting their chops out on the physical side. John's gonna be a massive wall in challenges and Dan's no slouch, but Bi and Natalia look pretty scrappy. I don't think we'll get a Lydia from Australian Survivor, but aside from Natalie and maybe Jessica, the females look like they can handle themselves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jessica (19 year old) was indeed the one with the racist tweets.

Dan (idol finding guy) was indeed fat cop.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The funny thing is that John was trying to wrestle people to slow them down but he ended up last on the mat anyway.

Fat Cop probably still has some slight insecurity - people have pointed out that he hasn't gone shirtless yet (and really, you're on a tribe with a professional wrestler), but hey, it's still the first episode.

Christian (Robot Nerd) I'm not impressed by, but I've been seriously burnt out on Survivor Nerds for a very long time, all the way back since Max/Shirin from Worlds Apart. Also see: Zeke, Cochran, etc.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 30, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I love that the Davids are gonna be portrayed as the 'underdogs' and we're supposed to be rooting for them, because that just means I'm gonna root for the Goliaths and cheer when they win four or five straight challenges and Probst vainly tries to spin it into some 'c'mon Davids, stop being terrible and conquer adversity! Play to our theme!'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Johnny BodyFat does seem like he kind of made the cardinal mistake of coming into Survivor totally jacked instead of with a little pot belly. He definitely seems like a candidate to be unable to get out of bed due to lack of food by the tribe swap or the one who eats everything and pisses everyone off and gets voted out.

If anyone can top Cole 'I need to eat 6000 calories a day and I'm gonna chew on these cinnamon sticks' Meddlers, it'd be this guy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As soon as Natalie started talking about 'not going down without a fight' before halfway through, I was suspecting that the Davids were going to TC. That seemed like content that would be spliced out from when the Goliaths were actually awaiting TC, so to show that that early on would just be to set up some tension for the tribe.

Also.... Dan, Dan, Dan. I want to like him but oh boy, he is gonna get played hard. He'd better wisen up and think logically before Kara ruins him. This is Jessica/Cole all over again except one of them is actually willing to slit the other's throat. I can't see Dan ever turning on Kara, so the best thing for his game would be to lose her in a tribe shuffle so he can actually clear his head. At least Natalie is gonna be a clear and present danger who I can't see escaping the first vote at all if she can't even play nice with people willing to talk to her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This wasn't even a huge physical challenge. Sure Bi lost a lot of time for them, but it basically came down to the puzzle and the Davids just could never get their balance right.

I do like that everyone in this game seems to be getting a fair bit of content other than maybe a few of the Goliath girls (I still can't remember which one is Alison and which one is Angelina). This is shaping up to be a really strong start to the season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah it's probably saying something that Bi is one of the toughest Davids, and while I'm sure she's plenty tough as an MMA fighter, she really can't compete with John or even Dan or Alec, at least not til down the road when the big guys get worn down by lack of food. Carl got incredibly winded in the first immunity challenge.

Basically, losing Pat was a huge blow to the Davids. But hey, they're the lovable underdogs, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabby is also getting way too paranoid on Day 6. Some of her fears are legitimate, but it also feels like she'll get way too uncomfortable about working with non-nerds. If she can't adapt to working with people like Bi or hey, some of the Goliaths, that shuts her out from a lot of potential alliance options.

She's not as bad as MvG Hannah, but she needs to find more stable footing. She's got a good ally in Christian, but considering that he's already starting to work with Nick, it wouldn't hurt her to start bonding with the Elizabeth/Lyrsa duo now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blood vs Water worked out fine the two times they did it but I wouldn't want to see it repeated. It gets way too messy having people with pre-established relationships.

And the David v. Goliath theme is fine and mostly arbitrary anyway aside from the Goliath tribe being pretty physically stacked; I certainly wouldn't look at Kara and go, 'Yes, that's definitely a Goliath'. I know I rolled my eyes way harder at Millennials vs. Gen X.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also because they've pretty much settled into Fiji full-time now so they need new names. And Mike is definitely one of the clearer Goliaths since he's pretty recognizable (a few of the cast members immediately knew him from School of Rock and The Amazing Race).

And I'd much rather nobody caring about the theme than Probst going 'SO AS A MILLENNIAL WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS'? Him trying to drum up the theme as someone was medically evacuated was terrible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabby's... not a great ally though. I mean you gotta manage your allies sure, but this is someone who was begging Christian to reaffirm that they're still working together.

Good goat, sure. Not exactly a great partner or stable number if she's jumping at shadows from the most innocuous of conversations. She's more likely to go not because of her physical weakness but her paranoia.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
John and Jeremy won me over quickly, Dan, Mike and Natalie made me shake my head and sigh.

That's all I've got so far. I actually don't care about most of the Davids other than Christian being more likable than previous turbo-nerds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The one thing that does annoy me slightly about Christian is his posture. It's like he's constantly hunching.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah that was pretty predictable. It's a shame, I liked Jeremy. But he was our 'overstrategizing, paranoid superfan' this season.

Also based on the stuff we saw this episode it's almost a given Christian and John end up on the same tribe, huh?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jeremy's exit press is out:

quote:

Gordon Holmes: Take me back to last night. Did you see it coming at all?
Jeremy Crawford: The thing that really kicked me off the show was something that wasn’t shown, so it might sound like an excuse. The reason for the blindside, and it wasn’t a blindside, Angelina was in a showmance with John. It was kind of one-sided like Kara and Dan. But, Angelina had just gotten married. So, she was adamant that nobody make any comments about a showmance between her and John on the show. And essentially I made a joke about Angelina and John’s showmance after our challenge where we won fishing gear. I made a joke around the campfire and that got back to Angelina. And from that, she went around and told people, “He has to go, he’s trying to ruin my marriage. I’m going to be humiliated.” So, she told people that, but told them not to talk about it on camera. That’s how you get nine people to vote somebody off who they really don’t want to. You add a personal layer from the real world to it. So, it really had nothing to do with me and Natalie. If you go back and look at Angelina in the tent when she says, “I can’t trust him anymore.” That “anymore” is telling you why. And that’s the only clue I could find last night as to why she so adamantly couldn’t trust me anymore. We weren’t in an alliance, so what was that “anymore”?

Uhhhh well that's a thing?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm kinda partial on the story - if it's true it kinda bites because it seemed like Natalia/Mike were gonna be able to do something. But if Jeremy wasn't already rubbing people the wrong way it'd be harder to persuade people to vote for him. And we haven't really seen him actually bond with anyone other than Mike, so I don't know how much unity there would have been to save him; at this point people are in 'anyone but me' mode. Natalia might have been able to swing a couple people, but I don't think it would have been enough.

Angelina is definitely gonna be an interesting one to watch. She's kind of low-key villainous.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A lot of his interviews were taken up by the Angelina thing, but we didn't even hear any questions at him about whether or not he was aware he was rubbing people the wrong way with his over-strategizing.

Just based off what he's saying about himself being 'one of the most liked people out there', I doubt it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even if so, dragging it out in the open is kinda ugly.

If a showmance was truly relevant, the editors would have shown it? Not like Angelina could really have stopped them from getting some footage since they've got cameras on them almost 24/7.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not usually one to follow big social media blowups, but apparently now he's taken to... body-shaming Daniel and Natalie?

So I think we can chalk this one up to salt, shake our heads, and put him out of our memory as much as possible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Angelina is the one who orchestrated the boot, Natalia is the one whose confessionals have pretty much 100% been 'I can't stand Natalie, she needs to go'.

Or, one of them is taller and sometimes wears glasses.

If John can keep enough shields around or form a really strong twosome ala J.T., he's one of the most likely winners. If I were him I'd aim to get out as many schemers (like Mike) as quickly as possible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the Elizabeth-Natalia exchange summed it up best: You have to make big moves, but you have to know when to make them. This was a really bad move for Alec, since he just put himself in the minority, and Kara could definitely bat Elizabeth to keep her around. Nobody's gonna remember how you got out Natalia, they'll remember how you just put yourself in the minority instead of expanding the Goliath lead.

Also, why did Natalia and Kara vote differently? Geez.

As for the other two tribes... Natalie is really not long for this game. I haven't met a more un-liked character around camp since Abi-Maria, and I can't see her dodging that bullet even if she makes it to the merge. Meanwhile, I can't see Green losing a challenge at all til the merge, they've got the two strongest guys and probably the two smartest people out there. The only thing that could break that is a Gabby meltdown. I was right though, she really can't work with anyone that's non-nerdy, and if she can't work with people that's not Christian, she's not gonna sell her social game. Heck, I almost want Christian to get voted out now just to see if she can handle it, it'd be like the equivalent of Worlds Apart Jenn just despondently wanting to get voted out after her best friend did.

Between Gabby, Natalie, Natalia and Jeremy it's like a cast of 'insecurity issues and social problems '. Even John had the 'I have doubts too!' confessional.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well could have used J'Tia as an example I guess. At least Natalie hasn't started dumping rice yet.

I feel like the winner at this point has to come from one of the green tribe (not you though, Alison). Unless Nick or Angelina (or maaaybe Davie) pulls off a bunch of impressive moves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SalTheBard posted:

I was so nervous when Christian said he was going to engage Charmageddon, and then next thing you know he has professional loving wrestler John loving Morrison eating out of his hand. I love Christian so much.

Well half of that is John himself. If Christian is a refreshing take on the nerd stereotype, then John is a refreshing take on the jock stereotype. I think those two have the best chances of winning right now; I can't see anyone gunning for Christian til late game considering he has 3-4 solid allies across both tribes. John we've seen less of, but he was integrating extremely well with everyone, so he just has to be careful not to let possible side alliances get too big.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
John definitely plays differently than Joe or Malcolm though. I'm not sure if it's his age benefiting him, but he's playing a quieter, more social game than Malcolm, whereas Joe didn't really have much of a strategy aside from banking on people to save him. I think John will be a bit more proactive but in a way that allows him to not be as needlessly flashy as Malcolm (I liked Malcolm, but he definitely had a shot of 'I want to make the big moves' in him).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agreed, he'll definitely have the target, but it can always work to his favour if he can carry it to the end.

And you really never know what the group will target. In Cambodia Jeremy seemed like an obvious target going into the merge, but when it came around nobody was even looking at him til F6, they all had other fish to fry.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
John can also rope in Dan, Angelina, and possibly Kara or Natalie as well. He's got options to either make a big cross-tribal alliance or just stick with a small comfortable group.

He'd like a ride-or-die though, whether it be Christian, Angelina or Natalie. I think he does have to look out for Nick, who'd snuff out anyone who gets close to Christian if possible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Davie was definitely not in a 100% safe position. In fact if he'd noticed how close Kara and Elizabeth were getting, I wouldn't have faulted him for playing his idol. He gambled, and he lucked out.

It's hard to say whether to sell out your allies or trying to find a crack is better when you're in that position. Obviously the latter is preferred, but if they're united and you get seen as a target for how hard you're playing...

I mean, if I was Elizabeth, I wouldn't have hard feelings towards Davie. They were both trying to save themselves. I wonder if she pitched to Kara, though, we didn't see that for some reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

I don’t see John, Natalie, or Mike winning without something absolutely spectacular happening.

And I mean something we have never seen before... or they have the worst goats with them.

But I give Natalie a 0% chance to win.

Maybe not Natalie, but John and Mike have legitimate chances. They're likable enough, and have strategy to back themselves up. They just need to be able to work around the target on them, but that applies to any number of the cast members, like Christian.

Jeremy (Cambodia) and Mike Holloway (Worlds Apart) have overcome worse odds before, so I wouldn't write them off just yet because they're successful and/or physical.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If they were sitting next to someone with a real sob story, sure. But against most people, I dunno, I think the days of 'we shouldn't give this guy the money because he doesn't need it' are gone unless someone just wants an excuse not to vote for someone to win. Plus the guys are likable.

It'd take an immensely petty jury member to go, 'Oh, Mike's the sweetest, and he played some great strategy, and he won immunity right when he needed it! But he doesn't need the money, so I'm voting for Kara instead.'

Not everyone's coming in with a 'my mom has cancer' or 'I'm expecting a baby boy' story, and even in Adam/Jeremy's cases, they were sitting next to two goats. If money was the reason between voting for two people, it means that you were already close to voting for either of them and were looking for any reason to tip the scales in someone's favour. People who don't get the vote 'because they don't need it' were usually arrogant about their stock or boasting that they were 'just here for the title', in which case it's less about what you have and more of your attitude.

The only time I can think of where money was an actual factor was when someone in the early seasons took the eventual winner (I think Ethan) to FTC because they felt that they were gonna lose anyway so might as well someone who could use the money should win instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

Has a wealthy person won Survivor? Has a super famous/rich person made it to the finals before?

I'm not being rhetorical. I'm not sure.

Russell owns a big oil company, he offered Natalie White a whole bunch of money if she'd give up her title.

And there's, well, Brad Culpepper (is his wife famous by proxy? Hmm).

You're way more likely to get voted out for being a previous winner (in returnee seasons) or for being too much of a jury threat (heck, Zeke was pretty much a dead man walking after the Varner vote in Game Changers since nobody wanted to sit next to him at the end).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dan getting two idols is giving me serious 'guy gets voted out with two idols' vibes, though. I don't think he's nowhere smart enough to use them correctly.

I'm hoping, for his game's sake, he can ally with John more than he can ally with Kara. Not that Kara isn't a good ally, but that alliance is very lopsided in Kara's favour.

Also Angelina just shot to one of my favourites for this season. She's great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Natalie seems to be that unpleasant that she gets on everybody's nerves except maybe John, who's likely used to having to work with a lot of Natalies in his career.

An ideal goat is one thing, but if they're going to wear on your sanity for 39 days, maybe it's just not worth it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It seemed pretty obvious in hindsight that Mike was going to flip; he was already on very shaky standing in the Goliath tribe since his only ally was Jeremy. I don't necessarily agree with the move (it's way easier to form sub-alliances when you're in the majority and have more say rather than as the flipper on the bottom of the new majority), but it wasn't too surprising, unlike Alec's flip.

It's very likely that Davids will have the majority come merge, unless Green goes to Tribal (even then, I think Alison is clearly on the outs since Christian might be able to protect Gabby). Even if a David was voted out, the Goliaths are already fragmented due to Alec/Mike's flips. The Davids have their own cracks, so it's not impossible to swing the other way though. But there are some big cross-tribal alliances possible: Mike/Nick, Christian/Dan/John, Alec/Davie/Carl, Kara/Elizabeth, and we see Alison/Gabby for next week. The only one that hasn't really bonded with anyone is Angelina, but I don't think she's the prime target at merge so she'll have room to maneuver.

Anyway, Natalie's exit press is out. Nothing too interesting, although if you were interested in her feud with Jeremy:

quote:

I wasn’t really sure at the time if he injured me deliberately. What happened was, at the first challenge we had to get through or over this bar and as I got to the bar, there was a David encroaching on my right side. And as I went to lift my left leg to go over the bar, and I’m at midpoint, Jeremy actually grabs my leg, slings it forward, and I get thrown completely off balance and I fall. But guess what? I fall in traffic. So now I’m trampled.

I thought it was a mistake initially, but when I got up and I looked at his face, I thought, oh my God, is he angry at me for falling? He screamed in my face to the point I could feel and smell his breath and he said, “I was trying to help you!” And I said, “How are you trying to help me when you are causing me to fall?” I told him “You probably just cost me this game!” Because I knew that I was hurt, but I didn’t want to tell them that I was hurt as much as I was because I didn’t want them talking about, “Do you need to go out of the game?”

quote:

Holmes: Things got off to a rocky start with you and Jeremy. How did that feud start?
Cole: I had a lot of factors against me. I was bullied by Jeremy, you didn’t see the half of it. You never saw me approach him and start an argument, and yet I was considered to be confrontational. I was protecting myself. And then you have people who become followers instead of leading. Day one, I hit John up. I said, “John, I need you to help get me through the first half of the game. And I’m going to help you get through the second half of the game. I need you now because I may be an early target.” John and I made a commitment on day one, I made the same commitment with Dan. I approached Jeremy and said, “I’d like for you and I to consider…” and before I could say anything he cut me off and said he’s not doing that. He said, “We’re the only two black people out here. They’re going to target you and me first.” I don’t believe that. I’m not going to look at the glass half empty. He wouldn’t even hear my full strategy out. So, when he said, “Go get three or four people to back you and then I’ll consider.” I said, “Why don’t you be the first?” What he didn’t know was at that point I had John and Dan. Then I made the decision to not tell him anything because he will never have my back. If you listen to “First One Out” (Josh Wigler’s “Survivor” podcast) everyone speaks positively, they’ll work with me. What does Jeremy say? He says, “She reminds me of a lunch counter lady who gave me some free food.” Well, you couldn’t have been more wrong, buddy.

Take it with a grain of skepticism, but man, there really was no love lost there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
She's a decently entertaining villian who's not 'Will Sims II' level of malicious. And she can actually talk a good game. Her peacekeeper role brought up during TC is gonna be an interesting one if she can keep unity between a bunch of different personalities enough to create an unlikely alliance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't get this. Her tribe needs to win immunity through to the merge or a swap for her to accomplish anything relevant.

There's one, maybe two more TCs left before the merge. Yeah they could lose the next one, but their chances aren't dire compared to the other two tribes.

She's got a really bad draw now, but if she works really hard on Nick/Mike she might be able to pull something off. And at least I think she'd be trying something, whereas the most we've seen from Gabby to reverse her position is 'pray Christian helps her tribe win immunity'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

If the tribal council whining was any indication, I can't see her convincing anybody of anything. She might be a fantastic goat though.

Probst literally asked Mike, 'Is Angelina the peacekeeper of this tribe?' to which he said yes.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see her making more of an effort to keep her cool especially around people like Natalie. She might be playing a little underhanded, but I don't think she's reached slimy levels yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll cut her a little slack because it's not even her fault that she doesn't have a jacket. Production picks their clothes for them.

And hey, Sarah did the same thing in Game Changers. Except that, well, that was for a real advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Depends if you want pure entertainment or strategy.

Entertainment? There's Gabon, HvV, Philippines, Pearl Islands, Exile Island. Cook Islands is alright on a first watch.

Strategy? Micronesia, China, Cagayan, HvHvH. I'm not sure where MvG sits; it's actually pretty strategically bland, but it's a decent take on how Survivor has evolved. Koah Rong and Worlds Apart are alright if you can get past the ugly character moments.

There are a few seasons which have alright parts but don't really stand out to me. Game Changers is great for the first few episodes then right before merge it just goes down the drain. Cambodia is okay, it's got some solid moments (usually anything involving Fishbach), but I'm not really that hot on the season as a whole.