Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They cut to commercial on Pat with 12 minutes left, this is 100% a medevac.

The saddest and most hilarious thing is that according to Probst, this guy singlehandedly inspired the season's theme. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This has got to be the weirdest medevac in Survivor history. Like, who could've even seen this coming? How could they possibly have accounted for this?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

What were the slurs that Jessica used online? Why was Alec uninvited to the reunion and did he lose the money he would have made for being on the show?

I believe Alec was the one who broke his NDA, and yes, he loses money, but maybe not all of it. You get prize money based on placement, plus ten thousand dollars for attending the reunion. He definitely loses the latter, but he may or may not lose the former depending on whether or not he has already been paid and how petty CBS is feeling.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My main issue with Australian Survivor is the music. There is a lot of it and it's kind of bad, or at least it was when I watched the 2016 season. Has that changed?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Good news everyone; Chris Noble was at Live Know It Alls and finally solved the Mystery of the Disappearing Rap Song; CBS didn't want to pay royalties to the guy who made the backing track they used.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think it's more along the lines of "they thought it was totally free but then their lawyer said the guy could sue for royalties and then they just decided to poo poo can the whole thing just to be completely safe."

I doubt them liking it or not has much to do with anything at all. I don't think they'd care enough to take the video down and re-upload it without the song if there is anything at issue besides money.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Survivor production staff is not stupid, and the team that edits and posts Ponderosa videos knows what they're doing, otherwise CBS wouldn't have hired them. Network television is a huge crock of poo poo sometimes (see: Big Bang Theory) but if it and its staff are good at one single thing, it's making money (see: Big Bang Theory). loving middle schoolers know more about music licensing than you're giving these people credit for.

No, actually, they don't. Television production is an absolutely massive behemoth with thousands of moving parts and entire departments that rarely if ever speak to each other. You're acting like there's some kind of hive mind governing television production, when the reality is that roommates could work on the same show for ten years and never even realize it because they never see each other. Individual shows do not have a legal departments; networks do, and they tend not to get involved in things unless you gently caress up.

"One department of one show does something they don't realize could get them sued and is then forced to take it down by the network" is a lot more believable to me than "Survivor, as a gestalt entity, produces a music video, tacks it onto the end of a Ponderosa video, then deletes that video after one week and reposts it without the music portion for no apparent benefit because they think it's bad." It's CBS. You will never convince me that quality is something they are even remotely concerned with.

EDIT: It's even more believable to me that this could slip through because it's Ponderosa. It's online content that never appears on the main show, so it likely has far fewer people overseeing it.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 11, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh my God, I'm going to be so sad if we lose Natalie this episode. She's the most amazing kind of trainwreck. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They did it. My God, the mad bastards actually did it!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
We'll have to see if other castaways verify this story. If Jeremy is the only one saying it, then I'm pretty sure we can 100% chalk it up to Bitter Betty Syndrome. It already reads like a sad, weird, personal vendetta uncomfortably dragged into the public eye. Honestly, the more I see from him, the more retroactively hilarious his lecture on self-awareness becomes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zesty posted:

Survivor production could possibly have decided not to show it out of decency as well. They just needed a story to tell and they had one in Jeremy vs Natalie.

I don't think decency factors into much of what CBS does. I mean, Whitney Duncan was married when she went on Survivor and got into a showmance, and they put her and the guy she cheated on her husband with (and then divorced him for) on the Amazing Race.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given that Jeremy is now starting petty, nasty arguments in the Instagram comments of his former tribe mates, going so far as to mock Dan and Natalie's weight, I think it's pretty safe to say he's just an actual piece of poo poo and nothing he says should be taken as fact.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It always seems that way, but then someone gets a confessional after merge and we're like, "Where did that person come from?"

Not necessarily. People were already asking "where's Chelsea?" at this point last season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In Erik's minor defense, he actually has to finish those comics right after the episode so they can be posted with Stephen Fishbach's articles, so he doesn't get to spend a whole lot of time on them and often has to start sketching before the episode is even finished.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Quits always suck, but I guess I can live with this. She's a recruit and an athlete. This isn't her dream or anything, she was doing this as a lark; no sense risking her career over it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is such a niche item though. Like the conditions for a correct idol play are pretty narrow, but the conditions for an idol nullifier are even narrower.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well I posted this in the wrong thread first, but might as well paste it over...

Odd start... they clearly had a challenge setup, but then also were preparing for the quit with the swap.

They set up a fake challenge for swaps these days. I distinctly remember it happening during HHH.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I hate Nick, but like I also love him? He's so transparently slimy. Nothing he's doing seems like it should be working, and yet... it is. And it's equal parts infuriating and fascinating.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Oh yikes, MCL tears are gnarly.

Interesting that Jeff called it a quit and not a medevac though.

A medevac will only be called if medical decides that continuing in the game could endanger your life. Bi made the decision to pull herself from the game, ergo, she did technically quit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
WOW, Gabby was 100% the hero of that challenge. She was directing everyone about as perfectly as you can; calm, clear, and concise. She never once lost her cool through the whole thing. I am legit impressed.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Come on, Davey! Play your idol and send Alec home, thus explaining his tiny pathetic edit and general bitterness and willingness to break his NDA.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Shneak posted:

I can't be the only one to hate Natalia with a burning passion right??

Seems like you aren't!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, not gonna lie; that was a pretty fantastic exit, and both a perfect capper to her character and an illustration of exactly why they voted her out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The thing about Christian that's helping him land for me is that he's not self-loathing. He's rarely even self-deprecating; rather, he seems comfortable in his own skin, like somebody who knows their own weaknesses, but is equally familiar with and capable of utilizing their strengths. He just... knows himself. He can say he grew up in Wimpville in one episode, but in the next, be the herald of the Charmpocalypse, and both are believable. So many characters in the Cochran mold have this uncomfortable layer of self-loathing to them, with Jacob Derwin being the worst offender. But Christian? Christian is fine being who he is. In fact, I'd say he actively enjoys it. And that's refreshing coming from his archetype.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Eighteen years into this show and we're still getting weird/petty/hilarious drama we haven't seen before. Jacketgate is a whole new level of ridiculous, and while I can't give Natalie credit for much in the game, I do give her credit for seeing right straight the gently caress through Angelina's terrible transparent ruse and giving her the proverbial and literal cold shoulder on her way out the door. :iceburn:

Somebody else made a point that if Natalie had swapped with any Goliaths but Mike, she'd probably still be there since she's an ideal goat and completely loyal, but Mike is there for the Survivor Experience™ rather than the money, so he has no use for anything or anyone that is making his Survivor Experience™ unpleasant.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really enjoyed Palau. It's like a dark comedy. Once you accept that the Worst Tribe is, in fact, the Worst™, you're free to laugh at their incompetence as they self-destruct. Plus, Tom is an absolute baller. :c00lbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Christian, John, and Dan looking at each other and dying of laughter at absolutely nothing is just the :allears:est.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This season is definitely a recent high mark for absurd comedy. Last week we had Jacketgate, this week we have Elizabeth dragging the giant log against Carl and him kind of halfheartedly helping her with it just so it won't knock him into the loving fire.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, that was rough. Jabroni legitimately stood no chance at that challenge. That's the first time I can remember a tribe literally not being strong enough to complete a challenge.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Yeah and they just get worse no matter who they lose

I have to assume there is some kind of tribe shakeup next episode. Have they ever reverted to the original tribes after mixing it up? Like go back to DvG? That could be interesting

2 > 3 > 2 tribes is something they've done a few times--Cambodia comes to mind--but a merge seems more likely to me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
uhhhh, what.

The show really did not make the case for this boot.

Like, the entire episode was about how nobody likes or trusts Angelina.

WTF

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, if you haven't figured out Survivor editing by this point. If the whole episode looks like 1 person is going to be the one voted off, they will not be voted off.

Counterpoint: Natalie last week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Adam was class president and prom king is high school. I don't think he qualifies as a nerd in the way that most people see it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I'm not sure about this. It's not his fault he's kind of famous, and I think he could still win, although his equity was better before all this happened.

Okay, first, it absolutely is his fault that he is kind of famous in that he actively sought out a career in Hollywood with multiple movie and TV appearances and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Second, the most damning thing isn't that he can't win, it's that he isn't trying to. I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult. The problem with Mike is that he's already given up on winning, yet he hasn't given up quite enough. If he were playing some kind of ruthless, Boston Rob-style 'overdog crushes the little guy' game in pursuit of a million dollars he doesn't need, I would at least respect it. I wouldn't like it, but I could at least respect it. But Mike White is not trying to win. Again, listen to his confessionals. He never says anything about winning. Only about going far and making it to the end. The man is playing for third place and third place only and in the process is actively attempting to make the game as boring as possible. He's simultaneously completely selfish (in that he only cares about his Survivor Experience™ and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the audience) and not selfish enough (in that he isn't trying to WIN) and it's infuriating.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alec is fine. He's playing both sides and getting away with it, which is more than you can say for 99% of people who try that. He was trying to blur tribe lines and create a new group that would be favorable to him; it's not his fault that Mike got cold feet and decided to chisel the tribe lines in stone.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's kind of funny, but the more I see from him, the more I "get" that picture. The "gently caress it" mentality that led him to post that stupid photo is the same one that makes him so entertaining and unpredictable on the show. And it's entirely possible that he could still come out of this situation on top; CBS did an Instagram poll on who was the most popular remaining castaway, and Alec came in second to Christian by an extremely small margin: 1465 to 1445. For context, the next highest vote getter was Nick, at 822. So Alec is one of two runaway favorites among casual audiences and is dangerously close to being THE favorite player from this season at this point, so there's already a growing movement to #UnbanAlec from the reunion show. We'll see if CBS capitulates. Probably not, but you never know, especially if he continues to do well going forward.

In other news, Mike came in dead last. :smug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Is an Instagram poll really a measure of "casual favorite"?

Certainly more casual than us! :reject:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alec. :allears:

It's amazing how sure we all were that he was some pre-merge douchebag who would have no impact on the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Off-topic: I have never hated anything the way I hate those animated talking emoji heads. It's not even in a "those darn kids! :argh:" way. There's something genuinely off-putting about them. It's like they shouldn't be uncanny valley, but they kind of are.