Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adus posted:

If you made up those quotes then that's fantastic.

Pony: Kara
Poison: Alec (or is this too obvious?)

I heard rumors that David Wright was on this season but I'm relived he isn't. His arc was great and I'd fear it getting screwed up. He'll still probably be back for an all stars though.
Maybe he's in the one filming right after this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well that was a deflating ending to the first episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

My main issue with Australian Survivor is the music. There is a lot of it and it's kind of bad, or at least it was when I watched the 2016 season. Has that changed?
Nope, hasn't changed. I mean I don't think it's bad music really but they do still go pretty hard on it.

Have never noticed scenes looking over-edited or spliced though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

That exchange between Gabby and Christian was incredible.

:j: do you you want to meet play with me?
:byodood: what like in the sand?
That made me uncomfortable, she was coming off as soo needy there if i were Christian i would be marking it down as a potential issue going forward.

I was wondering why they went forward with that vote as a 5-4 blindside. The other 4 must have all been pretty set against Lyrsa, but you'd think the nerd grouping could pull in Davey or something, making it 6-3 and not blindsiding quite as many people.

garthoneeye posted:

Me too.

Not so much in confessionals, but at Tribal Council I hated his loving face every time he said anything.
I like him so far but he's got this weird physical tick where he like lifts his chin up and looks way too high while he's talking. It looks really weird and kind of obnoxious

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It stings seeing Jeremy go because he had a lot of passion to play the game, while Natalie just sort of goes around being intractable and rude. Granted she's a little bit of fun as a character, and Jeremy was digging his own grave by going so big with everything. I don't know whether or not I believe the exit interview story fully, but either way he put his foot in his mouth.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean, Jeremy was calling tribe meetings telling people not to talk to each other, while also talking himself about how he found their ally's idol by rifling through his stuff, which surely wasn't good. Making a joke about someone's flirtmance and making them feel uncomfortable may have hurt but also is just more fuel for the fire: Jeremy wasn't part of the big six person alliance, his only known buddy was Mike White who's on the tribe's periphery, and he got into a huge feud with the other target. All of that points to him being a pretty bad social player that was repeatedly putting himself into a worse position; add to that the fact that he's a strategic busybody and the boot makes a lot of sense.

Jeremy then coming to exit interviews with a prepared statement as if his stupid social fauxpas is some sort of scandal is actually pretty low. Okay, so she was crushing on John and was a newlywed, and you embarrassed her over it, and she got you booted. That's Survivor, and that doesn't exonerate you and make your boot count less! But good going tarring the poor woman's real life reputation because you lost a game.

We don't even know if it was straight cause and effect, but even if it was, it doesn't really redeem him at all to me...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If she's just flirting and cuddling with John, why does that really matter? What is there for her to be called out on? Are you assuming she and John were making out, or that she cheated on her husband or something? Because I seriously doubt they went that far. Angelina also told her husband that she might be flirting with guys out there and he said go for it. From Jeremy's statement:

quote:

And on our first day, day 1, first hour, Angelina told us, “Oh, I told my husband about Survivor. He knows that I might have to cuddle and be in a showmance and he’s alright with it. He’s like, ‘Do whatever it takes to win the million dollars.’” But as the days started to go by, she started to worry about what it might look like, because it started to look really obvious.
So she's got her husband's blessing, but she nevertheless becomes sensitive to how she might look, and she makes that known. And then Jeremy goes and says something that exacerbates those concerns and pits her against him. And she has a big alliance and he has no one. Whoops!

The Bloop posted:

It's still his fault even if for violating peer pressure norms in a social voting game
^^^Seems like how Survivor usually works! And now he's trying to make his boot seem exceptional and shame her, which I don't like at all. He could have told the "real story" without scandalizing it pretty easily I feel like, just frame it as, "Oh, I made a dumb comment and she was sensitive about this, and I got shown the door for it." Instead of coming out and being like, "Can I read a statement," and then centering "She was MARRIED! She had a NEW HUSBAND!" and painting her like a vindictive whore or something.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 12, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Angelina posted a few times on reddit saying 1) her and John were just friends and 2) she did tell Jeremy to stop calling them a showmance and it did make her want to vote for him more. So yeah sounds like he just was sabotaging himself and creating an enemy like an rear end, and that saying a married woman is in a "showmance" might bother her.

Everyone is probably elated they voted this guy off. I liked him before learning all this bullshit too!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 12, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Like I genuinely wasn't clear on that. Knowing his dog is named Kara and assuming that blonde is Kara does make it seem like not a thing.
There was a scene where Kara asked Dan if he knew Supergirl was named Kara. Dan said yes and that his dog was named Kara. They confused each other a bit because they pronounce Kara differently (Dan's dog is car-uh and the Survivor player is care-uh)

Spergatory posted:

In Erik's minor defense, he actually has to finish those comics right after the episode so they can be posted with Stephen Fishbach's articles, so he doesn't get to spend a whole lot of time on them and often has to start sketching before the episode is even finished.
Maybe if he had even less time he wouldn't have been able to crosshatch John into oblivion.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

This is such a niche item though. Like the conditions for a correct idol play are pretty narrow, but the conditions for an idol nullifier are even narrower.
I don't think it's that complicated to use... The key is just to play it knowing that it might not end up being necessary, and not consider it a "failed" play if your target doesn't end up idoling. But when you've got someone like Dan this season, or Domenick or Wendell last season, and the knowledge they have an idol is out there, you can take them out with no fuss. Maybe they end up not playing their idol, but the idol canceler would still be useful because it would allow you to get those guys out of the game when otherwise maybe you couldn't have attempted it. Even just in a moment where you have no idol knowledge, but don't have numbers for a safe vote split, you can pile up votes on your target and play the thing and make it a simple, ease vote. Like, maybe it won't have been necessary, but just being able to vote with the assuredness that the target will go out with no nonsense would bring a lot of peace of mind and protect you from having to attempt something dicey like recruiting someone on the other side to partake in the vote split, open yourself up to the risk of a single person flipping and changing the outcome, and so on. This makes me not like it though, I don't like the idol canceler, it is stupid. mancalamania went into more detail and I second his post.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 18, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

Come on, Davey! Play your idol and send Alec home, thus explaining his tiny pathetic edit and general bitterness and willingness to break his NDA.
Heh Davey was so keen to just throw Elizabeth under the bus... I didn't really like it... Like, Alec came to him and was clearly itching to flip, and Davey's reaction was pretty much like, whatever, when the flip would be huge! Because even if Elizabeth went there and not Davey, and he kept his idol, he'd still be vulnerable immediately after that. The flip puts him into power! That's such a better outcome that I even would've considered it a good move, if the Goliaths held strong, to idol for Elizabeth, then Carl comes in and you have the 3-2 numbers advantage.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Or someone like Ryan Ulrich who self-deprecatingly kept going back to the same drat "never had a girlfriend" well over and over., StfU!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Was considering how willing Davey was to turn on Elizabeth and it came to mind how Elizabeth was part of the blindside on Alec’s alliance before. That got me thinking Alec could have learned all that and have assurances from Davey and reason to think the Davids won’t straight up take over. Maybe they’ve already considered an Alec/Davey/Carl core and it was just a decision whether to start that yet or not. Probably can take out Elizabeth next.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"Survivor- David Vs Goliath: Can I have your jacket?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It was probably only a matter of time for Natalie given how unbearable she was. But I think I can see a case to vote out Lyrsa first to get the dominating 3-1 advantage and then you can have Natalie as a safety dunk if you lose again.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not liking Dan. I don't know why. There's nothing in particular I can point to. There's just something about him that made me go "Oh no... not two idols. God drat it." Maybe it was ANYONE getting 2 idols but I think it was already there and that just raised it.
He's a good dude to have 2 idols imo because we know he's kind of doofy. More likely for some fun poo poo to happen with him holding them. Everyone already knows about one of them, so he could surprise them with the second, but how long do you think he'll go before telling someone he has two?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hahahaha she gave a detailed confessional about the jacket plan?!?

Seems like a bad plan that alienates your new tribemates Lyrsa and Nick in an attempt to stay a little bit warmer... I wonder if Mike knew about this, if not then it's even worse. If so then ehh, a little better.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'd recommend Cagayan. One of the best all-time seasons, it's got characters, strategies, twists and turns, and it's modern.

I would also recommend Australian Survivor 2017 aka reboot s2 or s4.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i'm pretty in on Cagayan and Aus2017 being top 10 seasons, and the two best seasons of the last 5 years for sure, so if you're looking to show someone who watched Tocantins a modern great season that's just where I'd go. Definitely Aus2017 is gonna have like 25 episodes instead of 13 or whatever so maybe that defaults Cagayan into being the answer. But that's also one of the reasons i put the Australian season suggestion in timid little letters :)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

uhhhh, what.

The show really did not make the case for this boot.

Like, the entire episode was about how nobody likes or trusts Angelina.

WTF
Yeah that seemed edited to a 100% Angelina boot. Mike looked to be wavering way more than Nick was. Maybe they had an unaired deal or something from the Natalie boot episode, that if they lost again they'd take out Lyrsa, and Mike was wavering on whether to "enforce" the deal or not... but now I'm just making things up. I just don't see how else it was Nick that cracked before Mike.

It looks to me like Angelina is going to be a shield type of player for Mike. She won't be much longer for this game, thinking she can call all the shots. If they'd voted her out, how bad would it have gone for Mike, do you think? Like would he hit merge beach and have the entire Goliath tribe, even if powerless, already voting against him if he made FTC? Because alliance-wise, I feel like Lyrsa would've been a much more secure ally, less likely to blow herself up, but less of a shield I suppose, a little more UTR.

TMMadman posted:

This vuku tribe is dumb.

Like how long do they really think it would take to cut some bamboo in half?
Yeah I tend to think she should check with people if it's an okay time before just dismantling the shelter around them for her project but that bamboo piece we did see her split seemed to take like a minute. They just sliced right through it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Teek posted:

Gabby was laying it on pretty thick there at tribal. She needs to back off a tad. I guess maybe she thought people would see that as her normal temperament.

Hoping that 3/3 six are able to hang together. Seeing them pull this off would be fun.
Gabby is a fairly unbearable wreck. Angelina is a trainwreck too, but a lot more fun and with way fewer tears involved.

I don't get mad whenever someone gets weepy on Survivor, it's just that with Gabby it's really uncomfortable most of the time. Getting weirdly defensive at this Tribal, pathetically begging Christian to take care of her, and even when she's making a new ally (Dr. Allison) she's always a mess. If they're showing us all this and also showing her not find an idol, I think she's absolutely F3 loser fodder. Like, they throw in the confessional about looking for a merge idol to convince us she's a game player.

That said I like that theory of the feast sign being a map! Fishbach tweeted this out.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 8, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He's the guy banned from the reunion show for posting a picture with a castmate? I forgot about that. Knowing that it's kind of weird he's in jury and still going strong.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

When the Davids were talking about 'who should we target'? there was a brief moment where they cut to John and I got slightly worried. Should have known that something screwy was about to happen.

I... was not expecting Dan to save Angelina, actually. This could be the start of something. It doesn't hurt him too badly since he has a second idol, I guess.
Yeah, there was also a line they left in about how the Davids wanted to weaken Dan. After that line I expected some follow-up about changing the target off Angelina, and I guess there was although they didn't show it.

I think part of the reason Davie played that idol might be because I don't think it was as secret as we were led to believe. I've seen along the way several mentions of how people thought he had an idol. And of course they obviously ended up planning to use it and do that vote split, but Nick sure pulled off a pretty good shocked look. Anyway, what a perfect idol play, reversing the game from a 7-5 deficit to a 6-5 advantage after the vote steal.

Imagine how awkward that would've been if Dan held onto his idol when Angelina survived and they went back to camp. Even if she had the most votes it would've been defensible to let her go down since the Goliaths would still have numbers, as far as they knew. At least now for Dan he has the idol target off his back a bit, and still has an idol.

ApplesandOranges posted:

What was great about this episode was that everyone played nearly perfectly under their circumstances. Sure the Davids played their side fantastically. But you can't fault Dan for playing his idol for Angelina. With only a 7-5 advantage the Goliaths couldn't really split their vote neatly so it made sense to dogpile. Alec and Mike chose not to flip and reasoned out why it was a smart idea to take out a David next. Even though Alec had to stick with his alliance, he fed information to his other alliance to give them the opportunity to save themselves. Even John, the boot, did nothing wrong and was playing an excellent social game up to that point.

The only way for anyone to have played better would be for Dan to whip out his second idol for John. But that would be next level 4D chess gameplay.
If the Goliaths had the idol nullifier it would have ruined all of this!! Bad item!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if the Goliaths would have just targeted like Carl there would any of this have happened? Alec might not bother leaking to Nick in that case. Mike White (he's never just Mike he's only Mike White) blew it!! And Gabby initially blew it by publicly melting down at Tribal with blatant disregard for her supposed alliance

Spergatory posted:

Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:
I'm not sure about this. It's not his fault he's kind of famous, and I think he could still win, although his equity was better before all this happened.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

as a matter of fact I think Nick did everything behind the scenes (secret information from Alec, it was Davey who played his idol, for Christian) so his threat profile might not get a big boost yet despite his intimate involvement in that whole scheme. Maybe next week though if he plays the vote steal.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 15, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Frustrated posted:

My position on Christian has changed a lot after this last episode. Maybe it was the edit but they made it look like Christian got word he was in trouble and instead of even attempting to politic his way out of it he just curled up and accepted his fate. Nick and Davie had to hatch the plan to save him, and while Christian could have just been hamming it up to not give away the blindside, and they could have edited out a lot of conversations between Davie, Nick, and Christian, it does feel like he was overwhelmed by the moment and got saved.
I don't know if Christian should have done something different to save himself, but my position on his placement in the game did change in this episode. His relationships with John and Dan, which seemed impressive for a guy like him, came to nothing, as he needed Nick to fill him in on the incoming blindside, and those guys went ahead and voted against him. Moreover, he seemed way more taken by surprise by the revelation than I would've thought. I'm not turning on him or saying he sucks or anything but at that moment he didn't really have a good grasp of the game state and his cross-tribe relationships didn't help. This is after I'd wager he had a chance to assuage Mike White's fears about Gabby and failed; that's mostly on Mike White and Gabby but the fact that Mike went to him there tells me some sort of recovery might have been possible. Instead Mike led the campaign against him.

At the same time he's been good enough socially that now everyone thinks he's a super threat, so he raised his threat level without getting anything to show for it really. It might not really be his fault... you want to be good socially to get the connections, and he succeeded in that, but they just didn't pull through for him so it was like the worst of all worlds... if he was a little more awkward, maybe people wouldn't be targeting him; if he was a little more smooth, maybe he wouldn't have been set up for a blindside that other people had to save him from.

That being said, he was set up well enough that Nick did come through for him as did Davie, so that's something! I just don't see him making it to the end now with the target he's got on him. His placement isn't quite good enough to get past that anymore now that Strike Force collapsed and John went.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 19, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dugong posted:

A very similar challenge has been run on Australian Survivor during the pre-merge and it’s been great both times.
Yep it's fantastic. Except in Aus there's no forced drop outs every x minutes, which I think I prefer. Everything is up to the competitors.

Also sorry for editing my post so much, idk why i sometimes end up writing half of my poo poo after i've already hit submit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well if Alec is the one that posted the photo to instagram I don't see how they could really punish Kara for it. I bet they particularly wanted to make an example of Alec in this case because he also literally said "gently caress it" when he posted it, so he was clearly knowingly breaking his NDA. Still though I originally assumed it meant he was an early boot and have already been proved wrong. I guess production is showing they mean business and making an example out of him. Not sure they can unban him now? I wonder if he was already being difficult for them before this too...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

I was trying to figure this out for a while and I think I may have figured it out. Of the 3 pre-merge idol, the green one is the only one unaccounted for. Christian and Gabby know they don't have it. If John has it, it's gone. If Dan has it, it doesn't matter what he does with it because he's getting nullified and voted out. The only other person who could have it is Alison; by stealing her vote you potentially spook her into playing her idol if she has it. By stealing Alison and nullifying/voting Dan they are pretty much guaranteed the green idol is flushed out of the game.
This is clever. If that's not what they were thinking it should have been.

CODChimera posted:

After that play I was expecting Dan to lose his poo poo and could you even blame him? Playing the idol correctly and still going home has to hurt a lot.

I can't believe how good this season has gotten, I need to go back and rewatch though because I'm kinda confused as to whos working with who.
The idol rules parchment probably says any votes cast against you will not count. Unless it has a little asterisk and fine print on it I'd be pissed and say I was lied to by production which I think is sort of how the Australian Survivor player reacted.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:
you got some poo poo for this take and I don't agree with it either but if it makes you feel any better i just listened to Brent Wolgamott go on a virtually identical rant on Mike White in the RHAP Big Brother live feed correspondents' draft the other day.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

who?????????????
the star of the true crime doc "the staircase," the wolgamonster himself, brent wolgamott!!?\

STAC Goat posted:

On an unrelated subject I'm reading that Nick interview and he says that it wasn't just Alec who tipped him off about the Christian blindside but Mike, Alison, and Angelina all did as well. He says that Mike felt really betrayed and the two of them basically "broke up" the Rockstars the next day.
"When I told you I was planning on betraying and voting out your tribemate and our mutual ally, you used that information to save him. How dare you, I was giving you that information only because I thought you were powerless and couldn't do anything about it. I guess we'll go our separate ways now and I'll simply have to silo myself off with uhh Angelina and Dan." Good play from our boy Mike White

STAC Goat posted:

Alec's probably my least likely option of the bunch since I think he burned too many of the Davids and then pulled that "I too try and trust people" thing in Tribal that made them all double take. Toss in what an obvious threat he is and he's gotta be in high danger right now and the worst person to ally with at the moment.

But like, I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that Alec as we understand his game to be could pull out a win from the jaws of defeat. But the extra stuff we know would seem to suggest he's probably not gonna be sitting at Final Tribal.
Can't Alec say he didn't burn anyone? Made the strike force alliance, but Mike White destroyed it, so he leaked the vote which allowed them to save Christian. Next time up he followed through by voting against Angelina. I mean, I assume he and Allison only did that in response to the vote steal, but can that be proved?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's still a screw up because nobody would have guessed unless they had a logical word (or a grossly misspelt one). And everyone's focused on their own blocks, you're not looking at other people's stacks unless you're helplessly lost.

If Perception wasn't a valid word, Carl would never have called on Probst. If that didn't happen, Alison and Davie wouldn't have looked over at Carl's stack and gotten the hint.

So it's a complete screw up by production and they should honestly have given Carl the win.
This is pretty much what I was thinking from the time the challenge ended until the end of the episode. Oof. Not to mention that perceptions is pretty near a synonym to perspective.

What the hell, challenge design team? Google “scrabble word finder” and punch in your letters next time and see what comes up.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i also love how probably everyone in this thread can agree angelina from the onset of the merge is 100% being dragged to the end regardless of whoever else gets there
I love how after Alec and Kara put votes on her she’s just been gleefully huddling with the Davids, smug as a bug in a rug, coming up with elaborate rice negotiations, clearly pleased as punch with herself and blissfully unaware her win equity is pretty much shot. Between the rice and the jacket I’m really amused by how much strategy she’s putting into things not related to her placement in the game, to her detriment in the game even. I love her.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha yes! And I believe that was AFTER she couldn’t get across the rope. But then Mike White went on to call her Wonder Woman so idk?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The game itself has been good so I don't know why they're so down on it really (cough a woman probably wins cough cough), but the editing also has been really really good. It's a complete 180 from last season. I think Sperg is right about production/Probst opinion being very winner-oriented, I mean it's why he loved that lovely Worlds Apart season, but I think that's why last season's edit was so bad too: we have a tie at FTC, let's make this the Dom and Wendell Show! Not that Dom and Wendell enabled by Laurel didn't run the game but they didn't even show us half the players. And the whole season suffers as a result. Kind of makes me wonder what a Director's Cut of last season might look like and how much better it could have been.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 29, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

I'm trying to remember the last season that Jeff raved about that was a total flop. Was it Mike Holloway's season?
Maybe... He also said that HHH had one of the best finishes ever, when that finish ended up infuriating a lot of people (though some surely did enjoy it).

ApplesandOranges posted:

The production dream would be if a male David won, so if I had to guess maybe a female Goliath wins... which at this point would probably be Kara or Alison. I love Angelina as a character but I can't see her winning right now.
I could see both those players actually winning in terms of where they stand, but if they do, it would mean the editors didn't go out of their way to build them up for a change. Kaoh Rong was badly edited in terms of the winner in that they tipped to all the Edgic people that Michele was gonna win by forcing in pointless confessionals that had no real reason to be there, to the point that "Michele Truthers" were an obnoxious thing all season, but they still didn't succeed in getting viewers behind her as a winner. So it was lose-lose. If one of those players, Alison or Kara, does win, then I guess it means Survivor decided to not try to forcefeed them to us, giving us a better season in return, and that they're prepared to just take their medicine if people get angry about the winner. Although actually, there is still time to pump up those characters a bit before the end if they are going to be winners. Trying to decide whether to hit post now or delete this whole thing and close the tab because I'm not really sure I'm saying anything. Hmm

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

a cool moment from the show i just grabbed

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's true that Christian has been more of an identified threat that's hanging in there than an actual mover so far, but I do think the Carl move changes that a little. Christian was in on that from the beginning (and considered it the vote before). He was also shown as the one who approached Mike, who was the crucial vote. I think credit goes all around for that one, of course to Gabby but to Alison too.

And it was definitely a good move for those two. I'm not sure it was the right move for Christian though. He saves Alison, but Mike White has tried to vote him out multiple times, and now he's burned some guys that were good allies. He's going to have a bigger challenge finding backers to take him deeper into the game now. Alison under the TV radar is playing a really good game it seems, involved in all sorts of relationships and respected on the island. Probably just dull TV though.

STAC Goat posted:

Although oddly RHAP appears to have done an exit interview with him.
Speaking of RHAP it sounds like Todd Herzog canceled on Rob. I'm sure people will be reading into that, what with Todd's prior cancellations and history with alcoholism and all. I don't know what the story is this time though.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

What's the short version? And didn't the OG Navitis hate that camp when they swapped onto it?
The chore chart (if that’s what you were asking about) was apparently a bunch of chores people frequently do around camp carved onto wood, and then the players got a pencil to like write peoples' names on it next to various tasks. But the players didn’t really “get” how it was supposed to work and never used it. They all thought it was part of an idol or something and production had to tell them it wasn't.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 4, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Brandon Hantz did that too right? I think everyone forgets about that because of his meltdown in his next season. His mistake was pretty bad too

probably the most :wtc: move ever was Colton and the men's tribe deciding to give up a tribal immunity they already won.

Spergatory posted:

People have that whole Ian and Tom situation all wrong. To really understand what Ian did there, you need to understand three things:

1. Ian was not beating Tom in that challenge. Ian was playing with an injured foot and Tom was more or less fighting fit. There was no situation where Tom falls off that platform before Ian, and therefore no situation where Ian sits in the final 2 without him. Tom's "I was about to fall off!" was a playful jab at Ian, not a true statement. SOURCE: Tom Westman's and Ian's interviews with Survivor Oz.

2. Ian was not beating Tom in the final 2. The two of them played almost the exact same game, but Tom was just better. He won more challenges, pissed off fewer people, and didn't stuff up the endgame in front of the jury. At most, Ian gets votes from Katie and Coby. Tom Westman was winning Survivor Palau and there was nothing Ian could do to stop him.

3. 1st place - $1,000,000. 2nd place - $100,000. 3rd place - $85,000. The gap between first and second place winnings is $900k. The gap between second and third is $15k. Since we've already established that Ian was not winning, his choice boiled down to whether he wanted to be second or third. "But why would he choose third if second gets him more money?" Well, that's simple; did you see what happened to Katie? Ian knew the jury was mad at him and he was already feeling pretty beaten down, so he essentially paid $15,000 of house money for the privilege of not being dragged through the mud by his peers on national television.

He gets to go out on his own terms, seem generous to Katie, and look like a stand-up guy to the public (which was more important back then). Plus, instead of staying on the island or another day, only to then have to sit in the final two for hours trying in vain to defend himself while everyone yells at him (something we already know he is bad at), he gets to go to Ponderosa, eat, recover, and space out until it's his turn to ask a question at FTC. I wouldn't call it a "win," because only Tom was really winning there, but I'd say the intangibles he gained were probably worth what he paid for them, especially given that he wasn't paying with his own money.
All of those rationalizations rest on that first point, that Ian could "never" beat Tom at the challenge because of a hurt foot. But Ian had already been up there for like 12 hours before he quit, so he clearly wasn't hopeless. Robot-building hunchback nerd Christian was "never" going to beat surfer stud challenge beast Alec until he did. Ian certainly could have beaten Tom too. Maybe he wouldn't have, but I think after he's managed to stay up there for 12 hours it's way too late to claim that he was drawing dead in the challenge.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Actually we've all played Survivor on our computers with internet people and we're really good