Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Good lord.

Next thing you know they won't even bother with casting anymore. They'll just edit new seasons together out of the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like Bi and I'm not sure why because she was all-around terrible last night.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sure, because we've seen this show before. People get voted out for being indecisive and paranoid and wigging people out. Especially at this stage where there are tons of people and you're nervous at tribal, even when you're 99% sure you have the numbers, a paranoid X factor is intolerable.

There's certainly a lot of hilarious Thursday morning quarterbacking with this show, but saying a visibly paranoid person on day 6 is loving up is not one of those cases.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My favorite pony/poisonish Survivor hobby is getting crushes on the attractive guys during episode 1 and watching how quickly their personal blends of idiocy and douchiness turn me off over the course of the season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spergatory posted:

Good news everyone; Chris Noble was at Live Know It Alls and finally solved the Mystery of the Disappearing Rap Song; CBS didn't want to pay royalties to the guy who made the backing track they used.

I think that probably still means they hated it if they can't afford to pay the guy the five dollars he'd get from YouTube ad revenue.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spergatory posted:

I think it's more along the lines of "they thought it was totally free but then their lawyer said the guy could sue for royalties and then they just decided to poo poo can the whole thing just to be completely safe."

I doubt them liking it or not has much to do with anything at all. I don't think they'd care enough to take the video down and re-upload it without the song if there is anything at issue besides money.

The Survivor production staff is not stupid, and the team that edits and posts Ponderosa videos knows what they're doing, otherwise CBS wouldn't have hired them. Network television is a huge crock of poo poo sometimes (see: Big Bang Theory) but if it and its staff are good at one single thing, it's making money (see: Big Bang Theory). loving middle schoolers know more about music licensing than you're giving these people credit for.

The rap video came down because it was actually that bad. Worse than Tightie Whities. But for that beautiful week, the joke was amazing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Perhaps it is possible that Angelina behaved inappropriately and stupidly in front of TV cameras and Jeremy was thoughtless and annoying?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Not to get all :tinfoil: but is this kind of normal for Samoa, or is it climate change related? I know Indonesia also got wrecked this fall, but I forget if it was cyclones or earthquakes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
lol natalie

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shneak posted:

'I'm a former fatty' is the weirdest sob story

It took a real Michelangelo to chisel Goliath out of all that flab.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I dunno, I can see Mike flipping. He was kind of on the outs with his original tribe anyway.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
what the gently caress even is this

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

LMAO "Please give me your jackeeetttttt"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Seriously. It's right up there with the finale night marriage proposal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Caramoan was trash. I don't even remember who won. Cochran? No kidding.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are liking her after that display.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Her peacekeeper role brought up during TC is gonna be an interesting one if she can keep unity between a bunch of different personalities enough to create an unlikely alliance.

I don't get this. Her tribe needs to win immunity through to the merge or a swap for her to accomplish anything relevant.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's one, maybe two more TCs left before the merge. Yeah they could lose the next one, but their chances aren't dire compared to the other two tribes.

She's got a really bad draw now, but if she works really hard on Nick/Mike she might be able to pull something off. And at least I think she'd be trying something, whereas the most we've seen from Gabby to reverse her position is 'pray Christian helps her tribe win immunity'.

If the tribal council whining was any indication, I can't see her convincing anybody of anything. She might be a fantastic goat though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are we pretending Tocantins isn't "interesting"?

The China-HvV run is the best the show has been, every one of those seasons is excellent, and thanks to Micronesia/HvV, that run has got great recurring characters and arcs too. Just start at China and keep going.

I would actually take this further back to Panama/Exile Island. You need Cook Islands to establish Parv, Ozzy, and Candice, Panama for Cirie, and Fiji for Yau Man, honorary goon. Besides, they're all great! Panama is the best hot mess ever to be broadcast, Cook Islands is weird and complicated and quite good, and Fiji gets incredibly good at the merge episode.

Palau and Guatemala are awful though, so I think this is as far as one needs to take things.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

Whoa whoa whoa pump the goddamn brakes here. Guatemala has some great characters and is just stained by having the Stephanie Lagrossa factor. I absolutely recommend Guatemala as a must-watch season because it has a TON of incredibly unique things about it (such as the opening challenge where multiple people almost literally died). It's also the very first incarnation of a HII.

Also Judd. Beautiful beautiful Judd. He ain't got no ay dee dee, man.

Yeah but the Stephenie (sic) factor is pretty loving major. The entire post-merge is basically her laughing in peoples' faces and going, "Ya basic."

Agreed that Judd is fantastic.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd love to check it out but watching Australian reality shows is... a commitment. Are any of the episodes skippable?

E: f;b

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny because I forgot about that Idol Nullifier but it really is built for Dan. A player who is developing a big head and feels invincible but made the mistake early on of letting people know he was carrying an idol. Who knows if it will play out that way but its the right conditions.

I neither like nor dislike Dan, but at least that much wasn't his fault. Kara and some other chick were with him when he found it. Hiding it from them would have been risky and his behavior would have sketched them out since it would have shifted within less than a minute.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well whoever said Gabby was making it to the end was on the money I guess.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She strikes me as a very entitled person.

Of course her husband is in the military.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Listening to Rob's podcast, they discussed Gabby at the merge feast for a little, wondering why that got airtime and if the Survivors missed a clue.

So, Gabby mentions the napkin-holders and can't find anything IN them, but wasn't there a shot or two of how they all had that circular symbol, and then a shot of the merge feast sign which also had that symbol on it? I'm wondering if they could have gotten an idol/advantage by pulling the symbol out of the sign (similar to China idols) but I have no way to pull the episode back up to see if it's visibly raised or if there's a perceptible crack around the circumference or anything.

In my search for screenshots, though, I was reminded of Fan Favorite Dan during the challenge. "Keep telling yourself how awesome you are. You are the man."

Also, this gem:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well this is the sign from the merge and the logo was also on the napkin holders...

But, I don't know if there was really anything to it. Gabby seems to be getting a very favorable edit and has been getting a lot of random confessionals about things that don't seem to matter much. But I dunno if you can read into it much other than she's a hot nerdy chick that can deliver a reasonable narrative in a confessional.

Hey thanks! Yeah, there goes that idea, but now it won't be bugging me so that much is positive :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e: misread a post

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
lmao the producers totally gave up on these people

Wonder if this is non-transferable like Cirie's.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh, look, it's Angelina being indignant again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

She's a little right about men often claiming credit for women's work but she's so unlikable I'm still rooting against her.

Also funny that Mike said "Carl and Davie? No way they can put something together" and I hope they burn him with that vote steal.

I hate it when other females rest on that argument. I see her punt of view and I understand how frustrating that must have been--she obviously doesn't know that a bunch of other Goliaths honestly want to work with Christian-- but defaulting to her vag rather than literally anything else is beyond obnoxious.

I was referring to the post challenge confessional about Dan though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I know this might seem odd, but think critically about what you get out of the Survivor grand prize.

One million dollars! But more like six hundred grand after Obama is done with it.

Or, we could do the boring thing and search the 2018 federal income tax brackets. The prize is the highest at 39.6% regardless of your personal circumstances, so you take home $604,000 (holy poo poo, the multimillionaire knew his tax numbers with zeroes, go figure).

Where I live, that would buy me a very, very modest house. For a lot of people, that's maybe college for their kids and/or a new car without payments and/or the rest of their mortgage (or a house in Iowa in a cash deal, I guess).

It's a pile of cash, but that's not exactly 1% territory.

edit: I guess I'd also like to point out that even though he's famous and on TV all the time as a talented individual, wrestlers regularly get royally dryfucked, especially in the WWE. CM Punk was fired the day he married his wife (also a WWE wrestler). Their contracts make you look back at recording artists of the late 90's, thinking how lucky they were.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 16, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Took down the mayor of Slamtown.

Got his jacket.

Davie is my new favorite.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I know it's ancient history, but I'm not sure why people like Vecepia, Jenna Morasca, and Bob Crowley don't come up in discussion of terrible winners with odd/questionable edits. Bob slept through strategy meetings for crying out loud.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of wonder why Randy and Corinne hated her so much. At least Randy. His edit was pretty bad but hearing him on Rob's podcast he seems intelligent and funny and not particularly hateful.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kellen gets some screentime which is a drat shame. And the way people talk about Donathan makes it seem like he's the poster child for the magic of the edit. He would have gotten as many votes as Laurel did in the end (and she herself was why we couldn't have nice things).

Dom and Wendell were cool but this was another case of being handed a game full of arrogance and morons.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Just to be pedantic, Survivor premiered 18 years ago and hidden idols didn't appear until season 11.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

Thus far the current season has been really good so why not just join up here?

Agreed for once but MvGX is pretty drat good for a recent season with all-new players.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What's the short version? And didn't the OG Navitis hate that camp when they swapped onto it?

(I forget the orange tribe name and I am so not looking it up.. I'm with the rest of the thread in having to stop and think to remember that last season was, for example, called Ghost Island)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or they just want to see people shedding pounds. Later on in the game they don't have as much eye candy to choose from, so the remaining people should look as good naked as possible, up to and including visible heart palpitations.

My cynicism knows no bounds but I really have to suspect that to a degree.