Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I am a fan of the American television show, Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

mancalamania posted:

ETA: Generally good premiere though. It's a good cast and the more natural scenes and confessionals are a delight coming from Australian Survivor where every sentence spoken is composed of one word each taken from 10 different sentences.

How do you figure this is happening? I'm also watching Aussie Survivor and I don't notice anything like this really at all.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Nottherealaborn posted:

This was my thought. He makes it sound like the cameras somehow all missed the showmance, missed him joking about it, and missed them plotting against him for that reason

Let's not forget she could also be the winner, whom they need to paint as a hero.

Not excusing his tantrum he's publicly throwing over it, but I mean if it's true and it's the reason he was voted out then that's pretty hosed up and she kinda deserves to be called on it. Her claim to being a Goliath is that she manipulates people into giving her free meals, so I'm not exactly sold yet that she's a good person.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd be shocked if he wasn't barring some crazy investments from Cliff Robinson. From straight league earnings we have Kent at $86M, Cliff Robinson at $61M, and Scott Pollard with a distant $38M. I don't have a good source but coaching and 20 years of TV money put Jimmy Johnson in the mix.

e: Forgot David Samson from the old Marlins management. That dude is loaded and crushes Jeff.

David Samson is definitely the richest. Afaik he lost a poo poo ton of money though because of dogshit mismanagement of the Marlins. He was also spectacularly bad at Survivor.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Propaganda Machine posted:

Palau and Guatemala are awful though, so I think this is as far as one needs to take things.

Whoa whoa whoa pump the goddamn brakes here. Guatemala has some great characters and is just stained by having the Stephanie Lagrossa factor. I absolutely recommend Guatemala as a must-watch season because it has a TON of incredibly unique things about it (such as the opening challenge where multiple people almost literally died). It's also the very first incarnation of a HII.

Also Judd. Beautiful beautiful Judd. He ain't got no ay dee dee, man.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

I would also recommend Australian Survivor 2017 aka reboot s2 or s4.

Underscoring this. Great season, I have links to this for people in US if you want, just PM me.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

I'd love to check it out but watching Australian reality shows is... a commitment. Are any of the episodes skippable?

E: f;b

The recommended season is a very very very good season and yeah there are probably a couple skippable episodes but why would you want to on objectively one of the best seasons of any Survivor?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

Okay, first, it absolutely is his fault that he is kind of famous in that he actively sought out a career in Hollywood with multiple movie and TV appearances and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Second, the most damning thing isn't that he can't win, it's that he isn't trying to. I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult. The problem with Mike is that he's already given up on winning, yet he hasn't given up quite enough. If he were playing some kind of ruthless, Boston Rob-style 'overdog crushes the little guy' game in pursuit of a million dollars he doesn't need, I would at least respect it. I wouldn't like it, but I could at least respect it. But Mike White is not trying to win. Again, listen to his confessionals. He never says anything about winning. Only about going far and making it to the end. The man is playing for third place and third place only and in the process is actively attempting to make the game as boring as possible. He's simultaneously completely selfish (in that he only cares about his Survivor Experience™ and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the audience) and not selfish enough (in that he isn't trying to WIN) and it's infuriating.

We did it folks, we found the one guy Mike White was capable of bullying in high school.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Thus far the current season has been really good so why not just join up here?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Overdrift posted:

This was one of my favourite moments from last night:

Okay poo poo....it's been 9 years since Tocantins and this avatar I have, but I may have to switch to this. It's too good.

Any gif wizards here able to make it into a usable avatar, preferrably with just her in the close-up, derpy neck rope wavering stance? I would give you much e-love for that.

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 30, 2018

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

People have that whole Ian and Tom situation all wrong. To really understand what Ian did there, you need to understand three things:

1. Ian was not beating Tom in that challenge. Ian was playing with an injured foot and Tom was more or less fighting fit. There was no situation where Tom falls off that platform before Ian, and therefore no situation where Ian sits in the final 2 without him. Tom's "I was about to fall off!" was a playful jab at Ian, not a true statement. SOURCE: Tom Westman's and Ian's interviews with Survivor Oz.

2. Ian was not beating Tom in the final 2. The two of them played almost the exact same game, but Tom was just better. He won more challenges, pissed off fewer people, and didn't stuff up the endgame in front of the jury. At most, Ian gets votes from Katie and Coby. Tom Westman was winning Survivor Palau and there was nothing Ian could do to stop him.

3. 1st place - $1,000,000. 2nd place - $100,000. 3rd place - $85,000. The gap between first and second place winnings is $900k. The gap between second and third is $15k. Since we've already established that Ian was not winning, his choice boiled down to whether he wanted to be second or third. "But why would he choose third if second gets him more money?" Well, that's simple; did you see what happened to Katie? Ian knew the jury was mad at him and he was already feeling pretty beaten down, so he essentially paid $15,000 of house money for the privilege of not being dragged through the mud by his peers on national television.

He gets to go out on his own terms, seem generous to Katie, and look like a stand-up guy to the public (which was more important back then). Plus, instead of staying on the island or another day, only to then have to sit in the final two for hours trying in vain to defend himself while everyone yells at him (something we already know he is bad at), he gets to go to Ponderosa, eat, recover, and space out until it's his turn to ask a question at FTC. I wouldn't call it a "win," because only Tom was really winning there, but I'd say the intangibles he gained were probably worth what he paid for them, especially given that he wasn't paying with his own money.

Solid retcon attempt, but nah. He hosed up and he didn't intentionally get 3rd place in order to save face (while simultaneously making what is notoriously forever considered to be the worst survivor move of all time).

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

The Bloop posted:

I guess it might not be a "move" but

lol

Getting blindsided due to overconfidence while your side is in power is more excusable than giving up final 3 immunity while simultaneously telling the other competitors to take eachother and vote you out. It's not even close.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

Woo taking Tony to the final 2 is the no-contest worst move in Survivor history, but if it makes you feel superior to call Ian stupid and make fun of him, I guess you can keep doing it, but I feel like his case is pretty solid. I mean, it's not like he didn't have time to think of these things. He was up there for twelve loving hours. You don't do something that painful for twelve hours unless you're trying to win. He wanted to beat Tom, but he realized after twelve straight hours of trying that it just wasn't happening, so all he had left at that point was to decide how he was gonna lose. For my money, he made the right decision. That jury was pretty brutal.

Nope. Woo, being in the finals, had a chance to win. Ian literally asked to be voted out, meaning he had a 0% chance at winning, which is far worse. Who cares how much time he had to think about it or if he "knew" Tom would win or not? You may think I'm using sunk-cost fallacy here, but if you're 12 hours in, why not just keep at it to see if Tom suddenly has to violently poo poo or something and has to step off and by chance you win? What's at risk there? Oh...I dunno....$900K?

If you told me I can have a 1% chance at winning $900K, but have to be chastised by bitter rejects on tv, I'd take that in a heartbeat over a 0% chance at winning the $900K but saving my fragile ego.

Survivor is all about being in the right place at the right time (see Aus Survivor s3 winner for an example of just kind of derping your way into a win). Giving up your chance at some fluke happening to win you a million dollars is insane.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

If nothing else, these discussions are great examples of why most people who post on Survivor forums don't know poo poo about how people actually work and would be actively, laughably terrible at the game were they to actually play.

Yes, this applies to you, person reading this!

Spergatory posted:

Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:

:hmmyes:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spokes posted:

i know what my money's on

:emptyquote:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

garthoneeye posted:

I want Angelina to somehow pull off a bunch of really good moves, give an amazing final tribal council, and win.

That's why the producers are so down on this season: their obnoxious, self-centered, overconfident buffoon villain character is the winner.

I'm really behind on this thread and just now catching up but this is 100% the most satisfying conclusion to this season.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Do you ever post anything in this thread that isn't some huge inflammatory rant about something? You're not the only person here who has watched all of the seasons or listened to/read supplemental interviews with past contestants. Every group of people is different and they absolutely can and will award a millionaire if they like them. Hell, this season I could have absolutely seen them awarding John with the prize if he got there and he's like the WWF loving world champion or something right now so he's definitely pulling more social capital than Mike White.

Assuming you know what the jury is going to do is foolish, especially considering nearly everyone in this thread is disagreeing with you which means in the jury of this thread, you're the Susie.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

IcePhoenix posted:

The first time in history I can confidently say I would do really well in a challenge and not be armchair survivoring.

The amount of Survivor-related "you have to break a few eggs" comments Jeff would make during this competition is already annoying me.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

I don't see how anyone could root for Cirie

Careful, you're going to rile up the Cirie warriors in here.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

curiousCat posted:

I played a couple games with Colton. He seemed nice in a neutral setting.

Do you, too, have a black friend?

Edit: to not sound so pedantic. His overt racism is the main reason people dislike him, not calling you a racist.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
It looks like he had the same kind of thing Tony did with some major bacteria that kept loving him up after the game.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

STAC Goat posted:

So like, its probably less of a criticism of Rob and more of an indictment of my attention span.

As someone who listens to a fair amount of RHAP and also *tries* to watch BB feeds some, this statement coming from the ultimate feed watcher has me very confused and conflicted.

Edit: this is a good time to say I love you and am very grateful for your feed recaps!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

This. The way it's produced feels insulting both to the houseguests and the viewers. It's a shame.

It's trash TV. That's the point. That's why we like it. We know it's half-fabricated and all of the people are poo poo-heels. It's a show about putting a bunch of self obsessed assholes in prison together and having them Lord Of The Flies one another. It's A Good Show.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Do you guys watch a different Big Brother from the one I watch? The seasons get INSANELY boring sometimes, especially when it's just one alliance regularly steamrolling the other with little to no recourse. Admittedly (see: BB20) sometimes the opposition is just the stupidest group of idiots ever born who squander every opportunity they're given, but other times alliances go mostly uncontested. If they knew what was coming when, they could pick people off in an even more insidious way (ex: a wall comp is coming up next week, we need to vote off the short gymnast). That person had zero chance at EVER winning the game, by virtue of the fact that the cast knew when their strength was coming up so rather than leaving them around to control the game for a week they can them.

I agree that the twists are stupid and almost never work to provide any positive impact to the season, and producer influence is more than likely at play pretty often, but having some rote planned season would absolutely be the most boring possible option.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Except he had everyone charmed, even when he was out there. They all said it themselves, that he's a major threat too win because everyone can't help but like him. You even saw the Goliath team embrace him and respect him (even knowing that he was dangerous to them). I think that the guy who was a) widely liked b) pegged on minute 1 of the game as the ultimate "David" and c) survived despite being a long-term target would absolutely win.

Against Nick, yeah he'd have some trouble because Nick was more strategic, but then you'd have to cross-section the jury to see who would respect that vs just someone who they like, which with Survivor juries is often leaning towards the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Speaking of Survivor - did anyone ever hear what happened to Jeremy at the last finale? I heard mutterings of it on RHAP about him being a last-minute scratch but I don't think I ever heard why.

I'm sure it's just something about him being a petulant baby, but I'd be interested to know his rationale.